Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 10:48:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 42255 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #690 on September 27, 2022, 02:59:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I've had a similar mail from Eon saying my next direct debit will be £66 less than my current one. I assume this is the 6 stage £400 govt rebate which I heard was going to come off bills rather than be paid directly to people.

I think the bill should be reduced, not the direct debit, those that are hard up will spend the cash elsewhere, the bill should reduce and the direct debit should stay the same

The bill will be reduced.  But to give that cash back both your dd and bill need to reduce.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #691 on September 27, 2022, 03:01:53 pm by drfchound »
I've had a similar mail from Eon saying my next direct debit will be £66 less than my current one. I assume this is the 6 stage £400 govt rebate which I heard was going to come off bills rather than be paid directly to people.

It has been well publicised that that was going to be the way it will be managed.
It is a tricky one though isn’t it.
Reducing the DD could result in some people spending the DD saving on something like a new phone but if that £66 was paid straight to them then they might do exactly the same thing.
It probably would be better to leave the DD the same so that the customer built up a bit of credit in their energy account over the winter months when they would more than likely use more gas and electricity.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:01:14 pm by drfchound »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #692 on September 27, 2022, 09:07:19 pm by River Don »
It looks like Putin has sabotaged Nordstream to put the pressure on a bit more. Gas prices have risen 10% on the news.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #693 on September 27, 2022, 09:08:43 pm by drfchound »

It has been well publicised that that was going to be the way it will be managed.
It is a tricky one though isn’t it.
Reducing the DD could result in some people spending the DD saving on something like a new phone but if that £66 was paid straight to them then they might do exactly the same thing.
It probably would be better to leave the DD the same so that the customer built up a bit of credit in their energy account over the winter months when they would more than likely use more gas and electricity.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #694 on September 27, 2022, 10:27:26 pm by rich1471 »

I think the bill should be reduced, not the direct debit, those that are hard up will spend the cash elsewhere, the bill should reduce and the direct debit should stay the same
I had the same one today ,I will just make over payments each month of £66 to keep me in credit as what will happen in march when the £66 payments stops

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #695 on September 28, 2022, 08:58:32 am by mugnapper »
I get virtually no spam texts as I usually put in an old phone number on forms if I don’t want the company to contact me.
However, yesterday I received one from ‘Gov.Uk’ inviting me to clink on a link where I could apply for my Energy Support Payment.
Make sure your vulnerable friends know the scammers are on the case.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #696 on September 29, 2022, 10:58:58 am by SydneyRover »
The morning interviews ............

Truss criticised for wrongly saying no household will pay more than £2,500 under energy price guarantee
In her interview round this morning Liz Truss sometimes gave the impression that her energy price guarantee will mean that no household will face a fuel bill of more than £2,500 a year.

That is not correct. Under the plan, unit prices are capped at a rate that means that the average household will pay no more than £2,500. But if you use more gas and electricity than average homes do, you will pay more. By the laws of maths, half of people will pay more than the average.

Guardian live

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #697 on September 29, 2022, 11:10:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Guardian is wrong on that.

£2500 isn't the figure that half of households will pay more, or less, than. That is absolutely NOT how the cap works.

The way it works is that the rates have been set so that anyone using exactly the average amount of electric and gas that was used last year will pay £2500 (before the £400 rebate is applied).

PM can't get it right, but then a journalist correcting her also gets it wrong. This is VERY important, because if everyone is profligate with gas and electric, everyone is going to get an eye watering bill that could go way over £2500.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #698 on September 29, 2022, 11:42:21 am by SydneyRover »
I should add that the Guardian did include the energy unit price caps further down the page along with a report from Full Fact stating they wrote to her saying she got it wrong yesterday too.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #699 on September 29, 2022, 08:33:00 pm by drfchound »
LoL.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #700 on September 30, 2022, 04:07:35 pm by BobG »
I hope you've all submitted meter readings today....

BobG

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #701 on September 30, 2022, 04:42:55 pm by turnbull for england »
We've had heating on today, treat the wife to  last of the cheap stuff

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #702 on September 30, 2022, 04:56:00 pm by BobG »
Lol! Mine's not on yet. But I'm lucky. I've always had a very strong tolerance fpr both heat and cold.

BobG

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #703 on September 30, 2022, 05:37:06 pm by Donnywolf »
I'm luxuriating after OVO dispute which I took to The Ombudsman

I signed up last Sept Dual Fuel fixed for 2 years and the Switch went wrong. Eventually they started to supply me but they were charging me 32p pkwh for Electricity

One year on I got it to what I had signed for 18.7 pkwh

So short story they owed me 3000 units x 13 or £390 and daily charge was overcharged of £25 ish so £415

Ombudsman made them give me £75 goodwill as well so just under £500

Best bit I will have another year of 18 pkwh for electricity

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #704 on October 01, 2022, 03:59:51 am by BobG »
That's pretty good DW! I've been with OVO for 8 years or more now. Dual fuel on various fixed rate deals. I've  noticed this last couple of years that they are no longer the friendly and flexible bunch they once were. The penalty of growing much much bigger I suppose. I decided I'd start to look at other, smaller, suppliers for next time.

BobG

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #705 on October 01, 2022, 10:57:02 am by Panda »
Mass protests across Austria, Czech Republic and various European countries against Governments and the cost of 'lockdown' crisis. Nothing at all on MSM. Nothing at all either from British people who 'don't do protests' and prefer to accept everything that is thrown at them with a stiff upper lip and have their bellies tickled.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #706 on October 01, 2022, 11:04:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Colin.

Those protests are all being fostered by pro-Russian groups in those countries. The "news" about them is being spread by pro-Russian social media accounts.

You are being used as a gullible fool by forces you can't begin to imagine.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #707 on October 01, 2022, 11:08:23 am by Panda »
Colin.

Those protests are all being fostered by pro-Russian groups in those countries. The "news" about them is being spread by pro-Russian social media accounts.

You are being used as a gullible fool by forces you can't begin to imagine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Half of my family live in Graz mate.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #708 on October 01, 2022, 11:17:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
And what has that got to do with protests in the Czech Republic?

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #709 on October 01, 2022, 11:19:18 am by Panda »
And what has that got to do with protests in the Czech Republic?

Graz is in Austria.

I started my previous post with Austria, Czech Republic.

You're previous post said 'those countries'. Presumably referring to Austria too.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #710 on October 01, 2022, 11:21:05 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I know where Graz is. What has that got to do with your knowledge of what's going on in the Czech Republic?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #711 on October 01, 2022, 12:37:56 pm by BobG »
Cause and effect Panda. Cause and effect.

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #712 on October 04, 2022, 11:58:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Something worth trying.

Back in August I downloaded the Loop energy use tracking app. It checks your smart meter readings regularly and charts your usage.

It's been a revolution Chez Stubbs-Tears.

We had got very lazy and profligate with energy usage. But it's been amazing what you can save.

Electric. Just turning lights off, using the oven less often & slow/pressure cooker more, and turning stuff off at the wall has dropped our average electric usage from 12kWh per day to 8kWh. That'll save £500 in a year.

Gas is even starker.  We've turned down the temperature of the hot water on the boiler. We're taking shorter showers. Not running hot water unless it is absolutely necessary, and we've realised that we don't need the central heating on unless it gets really cold.

Last year, from 1 Sept to 3 Oct we used 450 kWh of gas. This year we've used 90kWh. I reckon the savings will be even bigger when the colder weather comes and we are more careful about thermostat settings and which rooms we heat when. Overall, I reckon we can knock >£1000 off what we would have been paying if we'd carried on at last year's usage, just by thinking a bit more about usage.

I definitely recommend that app. Been a life changer for us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #713 on October 04, 2022, 07:26:59 pm by drfchound »
Something worth trying.

Back in August I downloaded the Loop energy use tracking app. It checks your smart meter readings regularly and charts your usage.

We had got very lazy and profligate with energy usage. But it's been amazing what you can save.

Electric. Just turning lights off, using the oven less often & slow/pressure cooker more, and turning stuff off at the wall has dropped our average electric usage from 12kWh per day to 8kWh. That'll save £500 in a year.

Gas is even starker.  We've turned down the temperature of the hot water on the boiler. We're taking shorter showers. Not running hot water unless it is absolutely necessary, and we've realised that we don't need the central heating on unless it gets really cold.

Last year, from 1 Sept to 3 Oct we used 450 kWh of gas. This year we've used 90kWh. I reckon the savings will be even bigger when the colder weather comes and we are more careful about thermostat settings and which rooms we heat when. Overall, I reckon we can knock >£1000 off what we would have been paying if we'd carried on at last year's usage, just by thinking a bit more about usage.

We have been doing most of that sort of stuff for a few months now and it really does make savings.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #714 on October 05, 2022, 08:20:24 am by Filo »
Something worth trying.

I’m confused, is Loop an energy supplier?

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #715 on October 05, 2022, 08:59:06 am by mugnapper »
One tip that hasn’t been mentioned is to not automatically iron all your washing.
I have t shirts and jeans that I only wear for walking, or in the garden, so those are ripped from Mrs Mug’s hands and put straight in the drawer.
I’ve also managed to get her to stop ironing bedding, which will probably cost more in psychiatric counselling than it will save in electricity though.
And just to clarify, this is not a sexist house, she just LOVES ironing. Plus, my ironing is rubbish and not up to her standards. When she was a nurse, her dream was to quit and become a professional  laundress.
In fact she loves anything to do with laundry. She says the sight of  a line of white laundry on a sunny day, gives her more pleasure than sex with me.
I’d have been a bit less upset if she’d left the ‘with me’ bit off the end of her sentence.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #716 on October 05, 2022, 09:15:44 am by Filo »
My wife finds any excuse to use the tumble dryer, I’ve threatened to cut the plug off of it

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #717 on October 05, 2022, 11:41:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Something worth trying.

I’m confused, is Loop an energy supplier?

No. It's a company that make energy tracking devices and have a free app that anyone with a smart meter can use. I started using it because the smart meter monitor that we were given by British Gas physically fell apart within a month and we had no way of regularly monitoring our use. I can't recommend the Loop App highly enough. It's saving us hundreds of pounds.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #718 on October 05, 2022, 06:24:44 pm by BobG »
I've  just learned that I am too efficient for my own good. Ovo tell me I'm not eligible for this £2500 cap because the deal I got for myself a few months back is already at a price that, according to their clever metric, will come out at less than £2500.  Oh joy. Being proactive doesn't pay doesn't it?!

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #719 on October 05, 2022, 06:43:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bob. What tariffs are you signed up to? If it's more than 10.5p/kWh for gas and 34p for electricity, you're being cheated. If it's less, you're fine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012