Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 02:21:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 42170 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #750 on December 16, 2022, 05:46:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Forecast to get a lot milder next week. And it was one of the warmest Autumns on record. Swings and roundabouts.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #751 on December 16, 2022, 05:48:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We used less this November compared to last November and still ended up paying £366. That's triple what we were paying.
Crazy because my wife was off work November 21 with a severed thumb so the heating and TV were on quite a lot.

I've got the burner on at the moment but the coal is shit, it's currently 14.1 degrees in the dining room where the burner is.
I'm dreading December and January bills.

Something's not right there.

The unit prices haven't tripled this year. So if you're using less than you were last year, there's no way your bill should have tripled. And that's before you take the £66/month rebate off your bill.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #752 on December 16, 2022, 08:06:12 pm by Nudga »
We used less this November compared to last November and still ended up paying £366. That's triple what we were paying.
Crazy because my wife was off work November 21 with a severed thumb so the heating and TV were on quite a lot.

I've got the burner on at the moment but the coal is shit, it's currently 14.1 degrees in the dining room where the burner is.

The unit prices haven't tripled this year. So if you're using less than you were last year, there's no way your bill should have tripled. And that's before you take the £66/month rebate off your bill.

Yep, I don't get it. I even did a tightness test on my gas meter and pipework to see if I had any leaks but it's sound.

Or are you suggesting I'm lying again? I can't tell nowadays

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #753 on December 16, 2022, 08:10:57 pm by SydneyRover »
If you are using less gas than previously a leak wouldn't appear to be the answer nudga.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #754 on December 16, 2022, 08:15:07 pm by Nudga »
If you are using less gas than previously a leak wouldn't appear to be the answer nudga.

Got to rule everything out, there could be a mistake on their end with meter readings and the monthly usage charts.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #755 on December 16, 2022, 08:27:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Yep, I don't get it. I even did a tightness test on my gas meter and pipework to see if I had any leaks but it's sound.

Or are you suggesting I'm lying again? I can't tell nowadays

I'm saying something doesn't add up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #756 on December 16, 2022, 08:36:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Got to rule everything out, there could be a mistake on their end with meter readings and the monthly usage charts.

The monthly usage charts I get from the Eon app(Eon is my supplier) are f**king useless. They always underestimate the actual gas an electric I've used.

Currently, the Eon app is saying I've used 782kWh of gas in December. But the Loop app says I've actually used 1571kWh (which I know to be correct because I've checked my meter).

Maybe that's the issue Nudga - if you're relying on usage data from your supplier on an app and their data is wrong. In my experience, Eon always get the numbers right on the bill. But their all is hopeless. Which, in the current circumstances, when people need as much guidance as possible on their day to day usage, is bordering on fraud by misleading people to think that they are using much less than they are.

Like I've said before, the Loop app is the dog's b*llocks for this data. It does what the Eon app should be doing - accurately checks the smart meter output every couple of hours and tells me what our usage so far each day/week/month is. It's exactly the reminder you need to pop round the house turning the lights off and turning down the thermostatic valves in empty rooms. Saved us hundreds of pounds already in 3-4 months.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #757 on December 16, 2022, 08:39:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way Nudga, to the best of my memory, I've never once called you a liar. That's a pretty serious thing to call anyone and I would never do it without cast iron certainty. I've never had any evidence that you've lied about anything.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #758 on December 18, 2022, 12:40:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Finally.

https://mobile.twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1604008432603897856

Better inexplicably 4 months late than never.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #759 on December 18, 2022, 07:21:32 am by roverstillidie91 »
Finally.

https://mobile.twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1604008432603897856

Better inexplicably 4 months late than never.
These are things people are already doing though?

Why not re-nationalize all of the energy companies?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #760 on December 18, 2022, 07:52:16 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Mine have more than tripled, was on a very cheap fix, could be the same.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #761 on December 18, 2022, 10:56:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You were doing well then BFYP.

Up until October, I was on the best fix I could find.

Gas 3.6p/kWh
Electric 18.3p/kWh

The current rates are
Gas 10.2p/kWh
Electric 33p/kWh

So my gas has gone up by 2.77x and electric by 1.80x.

I had clearly f**ked up badly last year if there were deals around that had electric at 11p/kWh.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #762 on December 18, 2022, 01:39:01 pm by drfchound »
I’m still on the low rate that bst mentions above, fixed until July next year.
I understand that the coming April increase will take electricity up to around 50p per kWh so it will almost treble then.
I had solar fitted seven weeks ago so I am hoping that will offset a big proportion of the price increase.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #763 on December 18, 2022, 02:36:17 pm by ravenrover »
You had Solar fitted! What about your house Hound :-]]

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #764 on December 18, 2022, 08:03:23 pm by rich1471 »
You were doing well then BFYP.

Up until October, I was on the best fix I could find.

Gas 3.6p/kWh
Electric 18.3p/kWh

The current rates are
Gas 10.2p/kWh
Electric 33p/kWh

So my gas has gone up by 2.77x and electric by 1.80x.

I had clearly f**ked up badly last year if there were deals around that had electric at 11p/kWh.
BST my deal ended last February,know matter how hard I tried I could not get any sort of deal,I now have my heating on an hour a day but I do light my log burner at 5pm each day to keep the cost down with the governments £66 a month my bills are £30 cheaper then before

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #765 on January 04, 2023, 01:01:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So Putin bet the house on Europe not being able to cope with him  cutting off gas supplies.

Increasingly looking like a disastrous strategic mistake. He's lost his biggest gas market. Forever. Meanwhile, gas prices are collapsing, partly because the winter has been very mild, but also because people across Europe have risen to the challenge and massively reduced their gas usage.

The long term price of gas on international markets is now down 80% on what it was during the panic of last summer. It's still high by historic standards, but it's now much lower than it has been at any time since Putin started his war.

A stupid, historic mistake, by a low grade thug who has exposed himself to the world as a total failure.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #766 on January 04, 2023, 02:27:09 pm by Filo »
So Putin bet the house on Europe not being able to cope with him  cutting off gas supplies.

Increasingly looking like a disastrous strategic mistake. He's lost his biggest gas market. Forever. Meanwhile, gas prices are collapsing, partly because the winter has been very mild, but also because people across Europe have risen to the challenge and massively reduced their gas usage.

The long term price of gas on international markets is now down 80% on what it was during the panic of last summer. It's still high by historic standards, but it's now much lower than it has been at any time since Putin started his war.

A stupid, historic mistake, by a low grade thug who has exposed himself to the world as a total failure.

Our Gas bills still remain high though, we are being ripped off

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #767 on January 04, 2023, 03:04:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
In one sense we are not being ripped off. Our gas bills are still below what they would be at global market rates.

Where we undoubtedly ARE being ripped off is in the sense that BP etc are making obscene amounts of money from the fact that the global gas price is so high. They haven't done anything magical in their extraction process to justify getting 3 times the price for gas that they were getting 18 months ago. They are just benefiting from Putin's economic warfare on the West which has pushed up the gas price.

That is an obscenity. Remember it when the Tories tell you they have to increase taxes on ordinary people, or cut spending on public services again, because we spent so much public money on the gas price cap. That money went straight into BP's bank account. And we could choose to tax it back off them if we wanted to.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #768 on January 14, 2023, 11:22:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Long term gas price still coming down very quickly. Now much lower than at the time of Putin's invasion. Back at the level it was in summer 2021.

I'm naively assuming this means domestic gas and electric costs should, later this year, be back down to the levels they were at 18 months ago?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #769 on January 14, 2023, 12:39:51 pm by Filo »
Long term gas price still coming down very quickly. Now much lower than at the time of Putin's invasion. Back at the level it was in summer 2021.

I'm naively assuming this means domestic gas and electric costs should, later this year, be back down to the levels they were at 18 months ago?

We’ve seen with Petrol prices, they don’t come down very much, rip of Britain

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #770 on January 14, 2023, 03:50:36 pm by normal rules »
Petrol now 1.47 a litre locally.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #771 on January 14, 2023, 04:06:43 pm by drfchound »

Logically you would expect the prices to the public to come down, as you say.
However we have seen many times over the years that prices don’t come down as quickly as they went up.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #772 on January 14, 2023, 04:30:18 pm by Filo »

Still much higher than where they were, and don’t forget when the Govt stop the 5p reduction in fuel tax the price will shoot up within seconds, probably by more than 5p

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #773 on January 14, 2023, 06:13:38 pm by ravenrover »
Is that supermarket prices?
Best at local petrol stations round here that I've seen is £1.69.9

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #774 on January 14, 2023, 09:48:08 pm by drfchound »

Raven, what area are you talking about with petrol at that price.
In Donny area £1.47 per litre for petrol is fairly commonplace and diesel is around £1.67 to £1.68.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #775 on January 15, 2023, 10:55:57 am by idler »
Petrol at Morrisons Bradford was £144.9 yesterday.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #776 on January 15, 2023, 11:40:45 am by ravenrover »

Raven, what area are you talking about with petrol at that price.
In Donny area £1.47 per litre for petrol is fairly commonplace and diesel is around £1.67 to £1.68.
My mistake I equated fuel prices to diesel

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #777 on January 15, 2023, 12:03:20 pm by Nudga »
£1.89 for premium diesel near me. I find it's not cost effective putting the cheap stuff in my tank.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:22:43 pm by Nudga »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #778 on January 16, 2023, 04:17:47 pm by ncRover »
https://twitter.com/martinslewis/status/1613189073929383937?s=46&t=ARotTeR08AfiFZI0tj01qA

Why did we do away with gas storage? Centrica said that it was no longer financially feasible. But is there more to it? Could green / net-zero targets come in to play here? The government could have subsidised it, no?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #779 on January 16, 2023, 08:26:50 pm by wilts rover »
https://twitter.com/martinslewis/status/1613189073929383937?s=46&t=ARotTeR08AfiFZI0tj01qA

Why did we do away with gas storage? Centrica said that it was no longer financially feasible. But is there more to it? Could green / net-zero targets come in to play here? The government could have subsidised it, no?

In 2017 - what was the net-zero target then? We have a higher one now and they have re-opened it.

It was penny-pinching governments and greedy capitalist energy companies (the two are connected if you research the ministers who have interests in the same enegy companies) trying to use 'just in time' systems that put the country's energy supply at risk - however much you try and deflect from it:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-blamed-for-closure-of-north-sea-gas-storage-before-energy-crisis-3810007

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-storage-facilities-shortages-energy-price-rises-rough-1441830

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/11/mps-and-the-oil-industry-who-gave-what-to-whom
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/25/tories-received-13m-from-fossil-fuel-interests-and-climate-sceptics-since-2019
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/43-lords-have-financial-interests-in-fossil-fuel-industry/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012