Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 02:04:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Obligatory ‘he’s scored’ post  (Read 4269 times)

southwestexile

• Forum Member
Obligatory ‘he’s scored’ post
« on February 19, 2022, 03:06:05 pm by southwestexile »
Alfie May, 3 mins

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: Obligatory ‘he’s scored’ post
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2022, 03:15:20 pm by rich1471 »
15 for the season

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2022, 03:19:30 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Go on Alf. Couldn't be happier for him.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2022, 03:28:00 pm by scawsby steve »
How on Earth can this be happening? We were told by umpteen posters on here that he'd be OK for League 2, but not good enough to score goals in League 1.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:04:44 pm by scawsby steve »

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2022, 04:39:31 pm by Bezza »
Now got a hat trick,

donnyguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2022, 04:47:49 pm by donnyguy »
Make that 4

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2022, 04:48:28 pm by RedRover »
How on Earth can this be happening? We were told by umpteen posters on here that he 'd be OK for League 2, but not good enough to score goals in League 1.

Because those posters wouldn't know their arse from their elbow!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2022, 05:02:08 pm by glosterred »
How on Earth can this be happening? We were told by umpteen posters on here that he 'd be OK for League 2, but not good enough to score goals in League 1.

And neither do some managers

COYR

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2022, 05:13:19 pm by phil old leake »
I’m so glad that he’s only good enough for league 2 and he’s not good enough for this league

How lucky were donny to offload him for the prolific strike force we currently have

I’ll be forever grateful

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2022, 05:56:28 pm by VivaRovers »
How on Earth can this be happening? We were told by umpteen posters on here that he'd be OK for League 2, but not good enough to score goals in League 1.

I'll bite/hold my hands up. At the point we let him go, whilst not saying he wasn't good enough for League One, I wasn't at all disappointed. He wasn't offering us much beyond energy... he never really looked like a player that could come off the bench in the league and change a game for us, so he wasn't a huge loss at the point he left. We had a joke among a few of us that he was the slowest fast player we'd ever seen.

He's obviously benefitted from going back down to League 2 and playing regular football at that level before making the step up with Cheltenham. And I'm delighted for him, because I love a non-league to pro story and he always seemed a good individual. But just because he's scoring goals at this level now doesn't mean he was destined to do it for us if he stayed with us.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2022, 06:11:50 pm by Chris Black come back »

I'll bite/hold my hands up. At the point we let him go, whilst not saying he wasn't good enough for League One, I wasn't at all disappointed. He wasn't offering us much beyond energy... he never really looked like a player that could come off the bench in the league and change a game for us, so he wasn't a huge loss at the point he left. We had a joke among a few of us that he was the slowest fast player we'd ever seen.

He's obviously benefitted from going back down to League 2 and playing regular football at that level before making the step up with Cheltenham. And I'm delighted for him, because I love a non-league to pro story and he always seemed a good individual. But just because he's scoring goals at this level now doesn't mean he was destined to do it for us if he stayed with us.

I agree with all of this.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2022, 06:16:25 pm by scawsby steve »

Some good points there, Glen. You're right that he might not have scored goals for us had he stayed, but he hardly could have done worse than this season's strike force, which has been abysmal.

As regards coming off the bench and changing games, he certainly did at Charlton. It was his thrusting run through the middle that drew the defenders out to set up Marquis's goal.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2022, 06:23:50 pm by Chris the Rover »
Alfie May, irrespective of footballing ability, always gave 100 percent and you can’t ask for more than that. Shame we haven’t got him and Max Watters as a front two  :blink:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 20, 2022, 10:09:01 am by Campsall rover »
Now let’s face facts.

Alfie May did not look like scoring goals for us in League 1
Letting him go at the time was the right decision. The fact is he wasn’t good enough.

Now it has turned out that Cheltenham have managed to get the best out of him and he has become the player we were hoping he would be when he was with us.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 20, 2022, 10:49:29 am by andyst79 »
The problem May had was that we had Marquis at the time who was the main focal point of our attack , everything went through him more or less and we adopted a style of play that played to John's strengths which was vindicated  by his goal record.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 20, 2022, 10:55:11 am by Sammy Chung was King »
If he joined us we could ruin him. Play long balls up for him to flick on , all four foot nine of him :lol:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 20, 2022, 11:14:47 am by DonnyOsmond »
He was a very poor finisher and at a time we were looking at competing for promotion he wasn't good enough. Getting regular football at a lower level has helped him push on and he's now probably better than most forward options we have but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision at the time for us and for him. If we played him week in week out at the time it would have been a detriment to ourselves. It wasn't a bad decision from the club, he's just a late bloomer and fair play to him. It doesn't need a thread for every time he scores though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 20, 2022, 11:14:56 am by RoversAlias »
If he joined us we could ruin him. Play long balls up for him to flick on , all four foot nine of him :lol:

Darren Ferguson did precisely that on several occasions when May was here, it was mystifying.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 20, 2022, 12:53:53 pm by Draytonian III »
Darren Ferguson, the football genius or Darren Ferguson, daddy’s little soldier ? Who I believe is only still managing a football league team because he’s the easy fit for Peterborough

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 20, 2022, 01:07:40 pm by dickos1 »

It doesn’t mean that no but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t destined to become an established league one striker with us either.
People forget he never really got a settled chance with us, if he was here now he’d be playing every week.
Moore properly f**ked us over
Marquis, May, whiteman, Blair, even crawford we’re all experienced good league one players
And he never replaced them

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 20, 2022, 01:13:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
May was only given one decent run in the team when he was with us, and he was the top scorer until injury sidelined him. He was adapting to league football brilliantly during that period, and the fact he was in the shadow of the likes of Andy Williams after he recovered fitness was criminal.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 20, 2022, 01:40:00 pm by ravenrover »
Now let’s face facts.

Alfie May did not look like scoring goals for us in League 1
Letting him go at the time was the right decision. The fact is he wasn’t good enough.

Now it has turned out that Cheltenham have managed to get the best out of him and he has become the player we were hoping he would be when he was with us.
Facts or opinion Camps?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 20, 2022, 04:09:41 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Some things never change!

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 20, 2022, 05:23:13 pm by Chris the Rover »
His third goal yesterday was an absolute cracker - had the EFL Quest crew drooling. But he’s not a League 1 striker!

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 20, 2022, 06:22:18 pm by rich1471 »
Watched the last 10 minutes when rovers went 3-1 down ,the guys on commentry kept saying where does he get his energy from he has not stopped running and covered every blade of grass twice on the pitch

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 20, 2022, 08:52:31 pm by Donnywolf »
Darren Ferguson, the football genius or Darren Ferguson, daddy’s little soldier ? Who I believe is only still managing a football league team because he’s the easy fit for Peterborough
he was lol

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2022, 08:53:31 pm by Donnywolf »
His third goal yesterday was an absolute cracker - had the EFL Quest crew drooling. But he’s not a League 1 striker!

Yes it was

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2022, 08:55:16 pm by Donnywolf »
My tablet playing up .... I was going to add the way he took the first was a tremendous piece of skill

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 21, 2022, 05:33:06 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Not seen any comment from Selby.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 21, 2022, 05:47:20 pm by PDX_Rover »
Always liked Alifie. He is such a positive character and took his chance when he got it. Sometimes players find the right place to flourish. Marquis did with us, and clearly Alfie has with Cheltenham. Delighted for him. Lovely fella.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012