Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 12:58:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens v McSheffrey  (Read 9659 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Wellens v McSheffrey
« Reply #120 on May 01, 2022, 10:24:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
When he was the manager at Oldham when they played at the Keepmoat a few years ago I thought they were the best footballing side to play there that season.

It was partly that, and partly his record as a manager since then that made me want him as our manager.

In my opinion, the injury crisis was the major difference between relegation and a mid-table finish.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on May 01, 2022, 10:30:40 pm by Campsall rover »
I’ve no idea,
I don’t think he lost the players, I just don’t think they were good enough to play how he wanted
Did you go to Crewe and Burton? His last 2 games. Yes he definitely lost them.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on May 02, 2022, 07:32:47 am by dickos1 »
If he did then I’d say that’s more to do with the mentality of the players than the manager

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on May 02, 2022, 07:46:56 am by DonnyOsmond »
Anyone can take some stats and massage them into whatever case they like as proof that their opinion is fact.

My opinion - both RW and GM are nowhere near the level I expect of Rovers manager.

I reckon wellens is already proving he’s a decent manager, completely transformed Leyton orients season
So why did he make such a pigs ear of it at Rovers? 
How did he completely lose the players because that is what happened.

Square pegs - round holes.

Poor recruitment and injuries led to his downfall.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on May 02, 2022, 08:36:03 am by steve@dcfd »
Wasn’t just recruitment in the summer it was in January. 22 players brought in whether permanent or loans and neither manager had a good positive record. So why was recruitment poor we need to acknowledge that or we will get it wrong again this summer.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on May 02, 2022, 08:37:56 am by ravenrover »
Anyone can take some stats and massage them into whatever case they like as proof that their opinion is fact.

My opinion - both RW and GM are nowhere near the level I expect of Rovers manager.

I reckon wellens is already proving he’s a decent manager, completely transformed Leyton orients season
He didn't bring any of those players to the club he is managing someone elses players. Lets judge him at the end of next season after he has brought in some of his own players.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on May 02, 2022, 08:54:19 am by steve@dcfd »

He didn't bring any of those players to the club he is managing someone elses players. Lets judge him at the end of next season after he has brought in some of his own players.
When do we start judging GMC he brought 8 players to the club in January and we still got relegated.
RW turned round a side got them up the table with just about promotion form he won’t need that many player we will need more from either out of contract or new.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on May 02, 2022, 09:14:36 am by BigH »
Wellens's record as a manager suggests he's ok at L2 level. For him, it's about how he progresses from there.

In his time with us, it struck me that he lacked experience and that he could have perhaps done with a bit of a managerial apprenticeship; say, 2-3 years as an assistant to an experienced Championship or top end L1 manager.

I wonder if McSheffrey might turn out to be in the same mould. We'll see. One or two have drawn comparisons with Bremner and Penney. Both had an instant impact in their first pre-season with good recruitment, building a good mix of youth and experience and developing a preferred style of play. The challenge then becomes one of sustaining it through a season given the obstacles (injuries, form etc) that inevitably get put in your way.

McSheffrey has a big summer ahead of him.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on May 02, 2022, 09:24:24 am by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think Wellens can be judged on the same basis as Dave Penney. We were the Man Utd of the conference under Penney, and under John Ryan, he continued to have a comparatively big budget after returning to the football league.

Wellens had nowhere near that advantage.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on May 02, 2022, 09:28:20 am by Alan Southstand »
He didn't bring any of those players to the club he is managing someone elses players.

Is that really the point, though? Have you examined Orient’s form, which got their previous manager sacked? He completely turned their form around.
He couldn’t possibly have done the same with us, as we didn’t have enough players to make up a team, coupled with the fact that some of the more influential attacking players were crocked from the start.

Recruitment wise, I think most people have realised that the problem lied with Younger (hence his removal), as the poor recruitment continued with GM.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on May 02, 2022, 09:40:16 am by GazLaz »
Wellens is a very good coach but at this stage of his career was he capable of managing a club in turmoil? No he wasn’t. He will have a very good career, right place at the wrong time with us though.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on May 02, 2022, 09:41:24 am by DonnyOsmond »
He didn't bring any of those players to the club he is managing someone elses players.

Is that really the point, though? Have you examined Orient’s form, which got their previous manager sacked? He completely turned their form around.
He couldn’t possibly have done the same with us, as we didn’t have enough players to make up a team, coupled with the fact that some of the more influential attacking players were crocked from the start.

Recruitment wise, I think most people have realised that the problem lied with Younger (hence his removal), as the poor recruitment continued with GM.

And having a very unbalanced squad didn't help. Perhaps if he brought in a winger and a defensive midfielder instead of seven #8s we'd do better.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on May 02, 2022, 09:52:22 am by dickos1 »

Exactly, he’s managed to transform the form of players that were struggling badly to one of the best form teams in the league

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on May 02, 2022, 10:24:47 am by idler »
Why not enjoy the summer and then make decisions on who we have released and signed. Worrying about things that we can't control doesn't solve anything.
This time next year we will have had a full season to pass judgement and apart from comparing league positions will have also had two head to heads against our previous manager. That should put the RW  GM debate to bed once and for all.
Me, I'll be keenly watching Rovers actions but enjoy my holidays and be back refreshed for the coming season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on May 02, 2022, 12:43:35 pm by Campsall rover »
January transfer window is not the right window to judge a manager on.
We got what was available.
Martin and Clayton are quality players. Jackson, & Mipo not good enough.
Mitchell is decent and Griffiths and Younger brought in with the future in mind.
2 players with considerable potential.
Agard had previous goal scoring on his CV turns out it looks like he is well past his best and then got injured.

So a pretty mixed bag from the Jan window.

This summer window is the big one. Where will we be at end of October.
That’s the only fair judgement we can make on GM imo.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on May 02, 2022, 01:38:26 pm by Goole Rover »
January transfer window is not the right window to judge a manager on.
We got what was available.
Martin and Clayton are quality players. Jackson, & Mipo not good enough.
Mitchell is decent and Griffiths and Younger brought in with the future in mind.
2 players with considerable potential.
Agard had previous goal scoring on his CV turns out it looks like he is well past his best and then got injured.

So a pretty mixed bag from the Jan window.

This summer window is the big one. Where will we be at end of October.
That’s the only fair judgement we can make on GM imo.
An honest and accurate post Campsall.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on May 02, 2022, 03:22:07 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s harder to get who you want in January. He got a fair few in. Mostly young players, I suspect not a lot of funding was available due to a lot of our squad being injured,  that he had to replace . There were no consistent improved results, until the pressure was off. Some of those signings may turn out this season to do a good job for us. Most didn’t in league one.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on May 02, 2022, 06:12:37 pm by scawsby steve »
As I've said on here before, there are some massive clubs in League 1, and RW was simply out of his depth.

He's a League 2 manager.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on May 02, 2022, 06:19:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
SS, Yes, Wellens is a League 2 manager. But remember, Alfie May was a League 2 player season before last.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012