Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:06:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How to recruit a manager  (Read 3703 times)

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
How to recruit a manager
« on March 20, 2022, 07:38:05 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
I read an interview with the current MK Dons manager the other day. Without going into detail, it mentioned that after their last manager left, MK Dons knew the style of play they wanted (and played under their previous manager), used stats such as average possession to find teams successfully playing with that style, narrowed it down to teams whose manager they could realistically poach, and took Liam Manning from a Belgian second division side. They're currently third with what I'd assume is only a slightly bigger budget than ours.

The way we recruit managers is incredibly outdated. Look at the awful, long ball style we're often now playing under GM. Totally different to Wellens' style, just as ineffective. We need a very big rethink over the summer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: How to recruit a manager
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2022, 07:42:29 pm by drfchound »
I think we will be stuck with McSheff next season, at least until Christmas,.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2022, 08:19:35 pm by Branton Red »
I'm not sure the way Rovers recruit managers is outdated - never heard of any other club ever using this route - but it is entirely inappropriate and therefore not surprisingly has proven ineffective.

Football managers should be head hunted. Their results and footballing style are public record.

As the OP states Rovers should pick out who they want from those they can afford and go get them. Yes still interview and reject for a 2nd choice if they don't come across well.

I hope Rovers are thoroughly reviewing where things have gone awry recently and if so the way they recruit managers is one thing which is changed.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2022, 08:26:15 pm by ChrisBx »
I read an interview with the current MK Dons manager the other day. Without going into detail, it mentioned that after their last manager left, MK Dons knew the style of play they wanted (and played under their previous manager), used stats such as average possession to find teams successfully playing with that style, narrowed it down to teams whose manager they could realistically poach, and took Liam Manning from a Belgian second division side. They're currently third with what I'd assume is only a slightly bigger budget than ours.

The way we recruit managers is incredibly outdated. Look at the awful, long ball style we're often now playing under GM. Totally different to Wellens' style, just as ineffective. We need a very big rethink over the summer.

This is similar to how a lot of German clubs operate, with a director of football (or its equivalent) being central to the long-term progress of the club. Unfortunately our board prefer to recruit a football manager in the same way a non-football business would recruit a manager.

Our method of appointing managers is not fit for purpose and, in my opinion, the lack of a DoF is fundamental to the predicament we find ourselves in.

The really frustrating thing is that this really isn't hard to fix, yet we've been having the same debates for years now.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 21, 2022, 01:03:06 am by silent majority »

This is similar to how a lot of German clubs operate, with a director of football (or its equivalent) being central to the long-term progress of the club. Unfortunately our board prefer to recruit a football manager in the same way a non-football business would recruit a manager.

Our method of appointing managers is not fit for purpose and, in my opinion, the lack of a DoF is fundamental to the predicament we find ourselves in.

The really frustrating thing is that this really isn't hard to fix, yet we've been having the same debates for years now.

Can you tell me how many teams in LG1 and Lg2 operate with a Dof?

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 21, 2022, 01:07:38 am by ChrisBx »

No I can't. Can you?

If the answer is a low number, does that justify us not operating with a DoF or something similar?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 21, 2022, 04:07:14 am by NickDRFC »

Whatever happened to this?

“We will get the best football manager we can or the best head coach we can and build the structure around that person and it will be done in partnership with them. It may not be a director of football or a head of football operations. It may be something more imaginative. It will be an open process but we’re open minded about what it looks like in the end. But we are adamant that we need to provide support to that person so they can concentrate on giving us the best chance to stay in the league.”

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 21, 2022, 06:08:38 am by ctay »
We got GM as a cheaper option to spend more money on players wages.

It was interesting that someone mentioned a style, I am yet to see what our style is. We switch the formations, the players in hope of finding a solution. That is inexperience I think.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 21, 2022, 11:01:54 am by ChrisBx »

Whatever happened to this?

“We will get the best football manager we can or the best head coach we can and build the structure around that person and it will be done in partnership with them. It may not be a director of football or a head of football operations. It may be something more imaginative. It will be an open process but we’re open minded about what it looks like in the end. But we are adamant that we need to provide support to that person so they can concentrate on giving us the best chance to stay in the league.”

At the time, SM responded to a question about McSheffrey's "mentor" with:

"No, there's much more to it than that. It will be a DoF type role, just that the actual title might be something else."

With this in mind, I'm really not sure why SM made out operating with a DoF in L1 or L2 is such an unrealistic idea.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 21, 2022, 11:45:04 am by selby »
  Experts at the way managers can be selected now, the expertise of our supporters is astounding, medical experts, war ministers, social and local government, automotive drive trains, employment law,Global warming, all sitting every other Saturday in the same stadium waiting for their expertise to be tapped into and being totally ignored except by those of us who read a local football teams forum.
  Anyway our selection of managers cannot be that bad, our last few managers two have been poached away  to bigger clubs and the last one has made an instant success at Leyton Orient with an unbeaten start, and Butler is doing well with not a lot at the Belles showing his coaching ability.
  Its the players they left us with that is the main problem, most are not good enough period, it would take a magician to get our strike force to score goals on a regular basis.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 21, 2022, 11:48:28 am by DonnyOsmond »

10ish in League One, DoF or similar (Head of Football, etc). I've got Bolton, Cambridge, Charlton, Cheltenham, Ipswich, Lincoln, MK Dons, Plymouth, Sunderland and Wycombe. Quite a few in League Two aswell.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 21, 2022, 11:59:26 am by selby »
  None of them going for automatic promotion then.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 21, 2022, 12:00:59 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  None of them going for automatic promotion then.

MK Dons and Plymouth both doing well. A couple of the sides out performing us with smaller budgets too.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 21, 2022, 12:06:27 pm by selby »
  I am not bothered who is in charge of the club, If the player manager of this club at the end of the season does not get rid of some of the players at the club we will not do anything in whatever division we are in next season.
  The team manager or whoever it may be, will be judged by myself as much for who he gets rid of as to who we bring in at the end of this season, we simply cannot afford to carry some of the dross we presently have on the playing staff either because of fitness or ability.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 21, 2022, 12:18:50 pm by NickDRFC »
  I am not bothered who is in charge of the club, If the player manager of this club at the end of the season does not get rid of some of the players at the club we will not do anything in whatever division we are in next season.
  The team manager or whoever it may be, will be judged by myself as much for who he gets rid of as to who we bring in at the end of this season, we simply cannot afford to carry some of the dross we presently have on the playing staff either because of fitness or ability.

The players and recruitment strategy are certainly at fault but given McSheffrey brought in an almost entirely new starting XI in January, not to mention the fact that he trains & motivates these new players and the existing ones, shouldn’t he also shoulder some of the blame for how those players are playing?

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 26, 2022, 06:40:14 pm by ChrisBx »
Perhaps worth pointing out that Gillingham have enjoyed a 14 point swing in 12 games under Neil Harris.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 26, 2022, 06:43:47 pm by adamtherover »
let's not forget , GMs new manager bounce after a caretaker spell was played 4, lost 4!!!!, and he's still deemed the best option ffs

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 26, 2022, 06:45:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Their 12 league games before saw 9 defeats and 3 draws. A return of 3 points from possible 36 points.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 26, 2022, 06:46:53 pm by ChrisBx »
I'm also interested to read SM's reply about a DoF after he suggested it's not the done thing at this level.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 26, 2022, 06:47:21 pm by ChrisBx »
Their 12 league games before saw 9 defeats and 3 draws. A return of 3 points from possible 36 points.

Yet they're ahead of us so how bad are we?

Also, doesn't that turnaround in form simply further highlight the benefits of logical recruitment?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 06:49:52 pm by ChrisBx »

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 26, 2022, 06:53:13 pm by curley »
Going to be a struggle next year it will not be easy getting rid of the deadwood that is under contract.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 26, 2022, 07:36:28 pm by silent majority »
I'm also interested to read SM's reply about a DoF after he suggested it's not the done thing at this level.

Did I??

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 26, 2022, 07:47:44 pm by ChrisBx »

Did I??

If that's not the point you were making then why ask the question?

It has since been pointed out that you previously posted that we would be recruiting someone in a DoF-type role (making your question as to how many other L1 and L2 clubs operate with one even more odd). Where are they?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 26, 2022, 07:52:36 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
At this level if you hire a decent manager you won’t need a DoF.

I’d welcome it because it gives continuity to the football side of things. But if we appoint managers of a similar belief and ethos it wouldn’t be needed as the upheaval will be limited.

If we were to adopt that role my concern now is who we’d get to do it. After Younger, Butler, Wellens and GM I don’t think I trust us to get one that would do anything other than make us worse

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 26, 2022, 08:40:51 pm by silent majority »

Did I??

It has since been pointed out that you previously posted that we would be recruiting someone in a DoF-type role (making your question as to how many other L1 and L2 clubs operate with one even more odd). Where are they?

You're assuming that was my point.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 26, 2022, 08:51:05 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Did I??

SM do you think it’s a role that would help us with the decisions we seem to be getting wrong? The recruitment of managers and generally has gone downhill recently the club must acknowledge that

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 26, 2022, 09:05:14 pm by ChrisBx »

Did I??

You could have simply said what your point is.

Either way, you said "there's much more to it than that. It will be a DoF type role, just that the actual title might be something else."

When will this person be appointed?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 26, 2022, 10:58:13 pm by silent majority »

Did I??

You could have simply said what your point is.

Either way, you said "there's much more to it than that. It will be a DoF type role, just that the actual title might be something else."

When will this person be appointed?

Well, when I’m back in the UK and sit down with Gavin I’ll ask him for an update.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 26, 2022, 11:13:11 pm by silent majority »

Did I??

SM do you think it’s a role that would help us with the decisions we seem to be getting wrong? The recruitment of managers and generally has gone downhill recently the club must acknowledge that

I do know that for some considerable time Gavin has argued that he’d prefer more of a coach than a manager type manager.

I know the skill sets of the various managers we’ve had in recent years has varied tremendously which adds argument to the appointment of a DoF or a similar role.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 27, 2022, 10:37:19 am by Canadian Rover »
We'd probably announce our interview process for a DOF and after hundreds of applications (including international and premier league levels) announced that Graham Younger impressed the board immensely and is the new DOF replacing "consultant/mate/officially-unoffical-Lee Carsley)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012