Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 03:11:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps confirmed as Head of Football Operations  (Read 9603 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Didn’t see that coming.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

firestarter

• Forum Member
Re: Copps confirmed as Head of Football Operations
« Reply #1 on April 22, 2022, 02:31:52 pm by firestarter »
We really are a joke

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 22, 2022, 02:34:00 pm by ChrisBx »
It really is laughable.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 22, 2022, 02:37:23 pm by German Rover »
well thats me staying off twitter for a while!

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2022, 02:39:17 pm by bigbadjack »
Good luck Copps! He gets my backing

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 22, 2022, 02:39:25 pm by vaya »
Going to put the kettle on for this one.

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 22, 2022, 02:41:19 pm by DD »
Copps director of football confirmed
Disaster - pointless appointment - just imagine it "well i don't choose these players”
“Its not my fault they’re not playing in right way”
What evidence is there if his football knowledge? Listening to him on iplayer he is too pally with existing players. This s cheap solution.
Club going in one direction - down

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 22, 2022, 02:44:21 pm by Filo »
I’m not surprised it seems to be the clubs Modus Operandi, advertise for a hi spec job, promote from within someone who gets nowhere near the hi job spec

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 22, 2022, 02:47:35 pm by Jersey Rover »
IMO Fantastic appointment, Absolutely committed to Doncaster Rovers, wants success here, knows what good footballers look like and great appreciation of tactics. Couldn’t think of anyone better for the position. Good luck Copps.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 22, 2022, 02:49:38 pm by pib »
None of us (or not many) are really in a position to know whether he's the best person for the job, are we? We don't really know what skills and knowledge he's developed from his exploits outside (and indeed inside) football.

Let's hope for everyone's sake that it does turn out to be the right appointment. Would hate for this to go sour.

Good luck Copps.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2022, 02:50:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
I’m not going to have a go at Copps but the club along with players we bring in the summer will stand and fall by their decision making. Again like McSheffrey he was the stand out candidate. So we will see how this develops.

For the Clubs sake I hope it’s the right decision.
Good luck to Copps he will need it.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2022, 02:52:04 pm by PDX_Rover »
You know, I think there’s more to Copps than people think. Yes, he’s a legend, humble, nice guy, brilliant ambassador for the club, but if you really listen to him on the commentary, he doesn’t hold back with his frustrations and insight.

I think he has a hardness and ruthlessness in there too, allied to a vast knowledge. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly and will call it like it is. If anyone knows the DNA of Rovers it’s Copps. He learned from some good sources too: ROK, SOD etc.

He sees the bigger picture. He knows what’s needed. He is involved in grass roots football, has his Pro Mindset set up. I think he will surprise a lot of those naysayers and bring structure vision and discipline.

Let’s give the man a f**king chance eh?

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 22, 2022, 02:52:47 pm by Fal »
Hope it turns out to be right appointment, but sadly it stinks of the cheap option again.

No point in doing all these positions and spending weeks on end just to choose someone within the club anyway as it seems to the current way of doing things.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 22, 2022, 02:54:23 pm by Mr1Croft »
IMO Fantastic appointment, Absolutely committed to Doncaster Rovers, wants success here, knows what good footballers look like and great appreciation of tactics. Couldn’t think of anyone better for the position. Good luck Copps.

Is that such a good thing though? He has been an ever present at the club during the past decade which has seen the club head down this declining slope, through no fault of his own I must stress!

Nothing against Copps and he deserves his rightful place in Rovers folklore, but would have hoped for someone with a lot more experience outside of Doncaster Rovers and in the wider footballing world.

Very much feels like a token appointment for one of our most popular players in modern history. I don't really see what Coppinger can add to help us stop the rot obviously present at the core of the club.

Very much would love to be proved wrong on this in 18-24 months time.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 22, 2022, 02:56:37 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I pray that this isn't a Blunt puppet. Hopefully Copps makes his own decisions on how the club should work.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 22, 2022, 02:56:44 pm by Bessie Red »
None of us (or not many) are really in a position to know whether he's the best person for the job, are we? We don't really know what skills and knowledge he's developed from his exploits outside (and indeed inside) football.

Let's hope for everyone's sake that it does turn out to be the right appointment. Would hate for this to go sour.

Good luck Copps.
Its heartening to see that he is on the FA Technical Directors course, which is specifically tailored for this type of role.

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 22, 2022, 02:57:10 pm by scunny rover »
Good  luck copps

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 22, 2022, 02:58:10 pm by Pside »
This club honestly :headbang:

I hope (like someone mentioned) he’s going to be like he is on commentary. He needs to take no shit, make some harsh decisions and tell people (including the board) what needs to be done.

Good luck James. 

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 22, 2022, 02:59:21 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It really could go either way. Ajax and a lot of other dutch clubs seems to have ex pros fulfil these types of roles and do it well but a lot of other clubs seem to have people who are more data driven and not really an old pro who bring a different perspective.

What i'd say is it does sound to be a role that suits him better than manager but there is always the feeling of old boys club about us at the moment with these appointments. It's great to promote from within when things are going well but when it isn't we're at risk of repeating or rewarding failure.

it's a complete unknown how he'll get on. We have criteria for these interviews but he will struggle to meet them because he's no experience of the role. Similar to the GM appointment in that respect. If the club could have got a person who was head of football at another or in a junior management role at a top club and say they've done x y and z then i think it wouldn't be such a risk. Same with the manager appointment which is a risk that has backfired. 

So it's a risk but we can't judge it as a bad appointment yet. Same as GM appointment at the time. Very risky given our position so the board must be feeling brave to keep making the same gamble. Eventually it'll come off right?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 22, 2022, 02:59:33 pm by turnbull for england »
He wouldn't go for it if he didn't think he could do it. How about we let a bloke who knows game inside and out do what he wants to do

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 22, 2022, 03:02:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
In this role he'll be judged on his actions not just his past. He now has a huge role and a huge set of decisions to make.  Fair play to him in my view. He knows it's a huge risk, he knows it's a tough gig and he knows the reaction.

But forgetting all that lets see what he actually does. I hope he's a success and he gets the tools he needs to do the job.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 22, 2022, 03:03:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh dear. we appear to be wedded to the idea of poetic reality. Last year we appointed Wellens with the comment that he "understood the DNA of the club". Analyse that phrase and you realise that it has absolutely zero meaning. It's a poetic idea that we have some sort of special quality that needs to be tapped into. Rather than a need to be managed, organised, directed etc. The prosaic reality that pretty much every successful orgnisation in the world actually implements.

I would give my left bollock to be proved wrong, but this has all the feel of us still wanting to live the fairy story of poetic reality.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 22, 2022, 03:05:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He wouldn't go for it if he didn't think he could do it. How about we let a bloke who knows game inside and out do what he wants to do

Trouble is, our last three managers wouldn't have put themselves forward if they didn't think they could have done the job. And all three failed spectacularly.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 22, 2022, 03:07:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
Oh Deary me!

Again, someone that doesn’t meet the job spec.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 22, 2022, 03:07:54 pm by turnbull for england »
Fair point well made

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 22, 2022, 03:09:05 pm by scunny rover »
So all the experts on here don't want copps so who did you want.
I've seen warnock, redknapp, mcclaren to name a few.
I'm happy with copps thanks ,yes I know " the cheap option"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:13:36 pm by scunny rover »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 22, 2022, 03:11:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I'd feel more confident about if if when the R is confirmed we are decisive and remove GM and then follow that up with the appointment of a new manager by the last game of the season.

That'd be a strong no nonsense start.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 22, 2022, 03:12:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
Putting aside any judgement on Copps, we are an appalling side that will be in League Two next season after a truly horrific season, and are scraping the floor of the professional game for the second time in six seasons.

I’m not sure who people expected to be appointed in these circumstances.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 22, 2022, 03:16:04 pm by Batleyred »
Very happy with Coppingers appointment. There's more than meets the eye with him I'm sure of that. Excited at last for next season.

Up the Donny

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 22, 2022, 03:16:12 pm by scunny rover »
Well argue all you want you've got copps so get behind him Gary mc and the team for next season ,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012