Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 03:21:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps confirmed as Head of Football Operations  (Read 9607 times)

redordead

• Forum Member
Re: Copps confirmed as Head of Football Operations
« Reply #60 on April 22, 2022, 06:39:38 pm by redordead »
I have lost count of the interviews that I have had to sit through for senior positions where candidates present various qualifications and testimony of experience. I can count on one hand the number of these candidates that were employed. The successful candidates demonstrated a passion for the position on offer along with a rationale of how it would be achieved.
James has a passion for football ,he is intelligent and capable of succeeding in business, James has succeeded in football and business acumen in his 41 years on this planet.  I am not a great fan of criticism or contradicting individuals capacities of doing a good job without being witness to the individuals results in the job. JC has knowledge of the club, football tactics, fitness and diet, contracts negotiating and has set up a number of successful companies.
So before handing down any question of not being suitable for the post of HoF at DRFC I will listen to his rationale and plan for taking DRFC forward before sitting in judgement. All I would add is knowing JC as I do he would not taking the job on unless he felt that he would be successful and he would put the same commitment to HoF as he did as a player.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 22, 2022, 06:44:52 pm by colincramb »
I for one wish him the best of luck. I really, really hope this works out for him and most importantly, the club. It’s a great opportunity, hopefully not given through blind faith but on merit because he genuinely has what it takes.

Let’s be honest, all of us to a man (and woman) that supports this club wanted Copps to continue to have a significant role at the club after his playing days. Listening to the man himself, that was never going to be as first team coach/manager.

Well, he’s got the top non executive job. Let’s give him a chance and show him the respect he deserves, there’s been some down right rude and disrespectful views shown by some so far.

Good luck James. I hope this works out and we can get back what we’ve lost over the past 24 months in the coming season.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 22, 2022, 06:46:21 pm by NickDRFC »
Some folks need to get a grip. Remember who we're talking about here. I have absolute faith in Copps.

Just because he was a wizard on the ball doesn’t mean he’s going to be a success with anything he turns his hand to. On paper it’s very clear why this appointment is raising eyebrows. We don’t need someone that knows and understands the club; we need someone that knows and understands how to turn it into a much better operation than the pantomime that it’s become.

That’s not to say he shouldn’t be given a chance by the fans given he’s got the job now but you can see why people would question the appointment.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 22, 2022, 06:58:59 pm by since-1969 »
IMO Fantastic appointment, Absolutely committed to Doncaster Rovers, wants success here, knows what good footballers look like and great appreciation of tactics. Couldn’t think of anyone better for the position. Good luck Copps.
He has no idea experience or net work to put from . Blind appointment from a board of directors who just want US to just suck it up!!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 22, 2022, 07:09:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
He has no idea experience or net work to put from .

Another stupid thing to say.

He has a couple more decades experience in football than me or you.

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 22, 2022, 07:17:16 pm by South East Rover »
Come on let's all get behind Copps (Roy of the Rovers) you couldn't write this, or could you :ermm:  :woohoo: :rtid:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 22, 2022, 07:21:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
He has no idea experience or net work to put from .

Another stupid thing to say.

He has a couple more decades experience in football than me or you.

Exactly, but what do you expect from the the usual doom mongers who don't give any actual depth of thought but just blindly criticise absolutely everything?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 22, 2022, 07:37:00 pm by Copps is Magic »
That was 10 years ago Normal Rules. You don't think people evolve a bit? Develop? Mature?

redordead

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 22, 2022, 07:38:39 pm by redordead »
Business acumen?
Owner of Kixxboro and partner in Pro mindset both successful companies check account if in doubt.
Are you suggesting that JC is of the same ilk as M Chopra.
I doubt it  .
I suggest you get your spade out⚽️

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 22, 2022, 07:39:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Popularity appointment?  If it was intended as that then it has been a massive own goal.
I sincerely hope this appointment has been made because Copps actually really is the best man for this job.

Time will tell.
We need to get behind him and give him our full support.  :that:

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 22, 2022, 07:59:45 pm by Scooter »
I think this is a good move. Completely understandable all the negativity surrounding the club as it has been on a downward spiral for a while. But don’t underestimate Copps. He has a ruthless edge and he has and a positive resilience mindset (he needs it if he reads this forum or Twitter). His book gives a good insight into the man himself.

I’d rather have a younger enthusiastic knowledgable guy then an old head looking for a pre-retirement pay day.

Copps is well respected in the game and the players he has played with and against are steadily moving into the coaching and management world so he will have his networks

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 22, 2022, 08:03:54 pm by Alan Southstand »
We don’t even know the level of applicants - how can we say he was the best man?

He may well have been the stand out candidate from those that were interviewed, but if we never had a significant applicant, then…….!

Nobody is disrespecting Copps, he has been a phenomena for our Club and there’s far too many good memories of him as a player to be tainted by whatever happens next. I hope he succeeds in his new role, but that will depend on some things beyond his control and that is how the Board backs him. The spotlight is truly on that one thing, now!

The one thing that bugs me is what the Chairman said about why he was the outstanding candidate, in that he demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the Club ……. and that wasn’t even a requirement in the job description. So, did they ever want to give it to an ‘outsider’?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 22, 2022, 08:21:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
Some folks need to get a grip. Remember who we're talking about here. I have absolute faith in Copps.

Just because he was a wizard on the ball doesn’t mean he’s going to be a success with anything he turns his hand to. On paper it’s very clear why this appointment is raising eyebrows. We don’t need someone that knows and understands the club; we need someone that knows and understands how to turn it into a much better operation than the pantomime that it’s become.

That’s not to say he shouldn’t be given a chance by the fans given he’s got the job now but you can see why people would question the appointment.

Of course Nick. Completely understand questioning the appointment. What pisses me off is the default negativity of some posters before the man has even started in his new role. It’s unbelievable, as Copps would say.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 22, 2022, 08:27:27 pm by DRFCSouth »
Absolutely no doubt Copps deserves some role within the club, as he gave so many years of loyal service.

What I dont get is why bother putting it out to public, with a jazzed up job description if you know who will be getting it.

redordead

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 22, 2022, 08:30:25 pm by redordead »
That was 10 years ago Normal Rules. You don't think people evolve a bit? Develop? Mature?

Not in my experience. No.
Gambling. Dishonesty. Fraud. Bribery. Corruption. Greed.
They are very difficult behavioural traits to shake.
People get older and wiser yes. But that just makes their behaviour more complex. And perhaps harder to spot, if not impossible.
A perfect opportunity has arisen here. Or was it engineered?
A gamble for him too. But we know he likes a gamble. Especially if the dice is loaded.
A senior management position in a football league club?
From little or no management background. Little or No business acumen.
Money, power, influence.
The rest you know.
All just opinion of course.

And a very low one at that ,almost slanderous

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 22, 2022, 08:30:47 pm by Pside »
We don’t even know the level of applicants - how can we say he was the best man?

He may well have been the stand out candidate from those that were interviewed, but if we never had a significant applicant, then…….!

Nobody is disrespecting Copps, he has been a phenomena for our Club and there’s far too many good memories of him as a player to be tainted by whatever happens next. I hope he succeeds in his new role, but that will depend on some things beyond his control and that is how the Board backs him. The spotlight is truly on that one thing, now!

The one thing that bugs me is what the Chairman said about why he was the outstanding candidate, in that he demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the Club ……. and that wasn’t even a requirement in the job description. So, did they ever want to give it to an ‘outsider’?

Probably not. It’s the exact same drivel they churned out when appointing G Mac.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 22, 2022, 08:40:34 pm by NickDRFC »

Of course Nick. Completely understand questioning the appointment. What pisses me off is the default negativity of some posters before the man has even started in his new role. It’s unbelievable, as Copps would say.

Yeah I’d agree with that - he’s got the job now, and just because he appears unqualified doesn’t mean that there should be any criticism of him. It’s like a player like Maguire getting flack for his transfer fee - he didn’t pay it himself so it’s not really the right place to level the criticism. Copps himself deserves the chance to get started and show us what he can do.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 22, 2022, 08:55:53 pm by Alan Southstand »
Nobody is criticising Copps. Nobody.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 22, 2022, 09:20:56 pm by Canadian Rover »
It's OK everyone we have a young inexperienced HOF but he has an official mentor in SOD ya know in the same way Carsley is the official mentor for GMC

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 22, 2022, 09:45:00 pm by BradwellRover »
Business acumen?
Owner of Kixxboro and partner in Pro mindset both successful companies check account if in doubt.
I doubt it  .

James Coppinger holds 1 Director position, with Kixx Middlesbrough according to companies house - I can’t find any others but please provide links if you can. Unaudited abbreviated accounts submitted to 31/05/20 showing no Profit and Loss and net liabilities of c£6k.

Interested in your view.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 09:47:16 pm by BradwellRover »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on April 22, 2022, 09:51:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
IMO Fantastic appointment, Absolutely committed to Doncaster Rovers, wants success here, knows what good footballers look like and great appreciation of tactics. Couldn’t think of anyone better for the position. Good luck Copps.
He has no idea experience or net work to put from . Blind appointment from a board of directors who just want US to just suck it up!!

Almost as bad as blind criticism of everything done by the club, eh?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 22, 2022, 10:35:43 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
It is a popularity appointment that was always going to happen,

Popularity appointment! You've not read this thread have you Sammy?

No they thought it would be, they didn’t know their supporters.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 22, 2022, 11:42:10 pm by phil old leake »
I hope that Copps is a real success but I think it’s very short sighted of the club and him

I obviously d.not know what influence he will have or what I put he already has had

It’s short sighted from him because at the moment the club are in a bit of a free fall and he has been part of that.  I don’t know how much a part but he has been a part

If it doesn’t work out and I really want it to he will be on his way and his legendary status will be tainted

It’s short sighted by the club because with all the best will in the world he is not experienced and they should have gone outside

At the end of the day it was obvious he was getting the job it was the worst kept secret.

The club is obsessed by ex players. 

I thought he had some input in the January transfers and look what happened then

I really do genuinely wish him well and hope he is a great success and can attract players of quality and all my doubts are wrong.

It’s a big risk by him

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 23, 2022, 12:12:52 am by Plumbster »
Good luck Copps and I can’t think of anyone better for the role. For the first time I was beginning to struggle to find anyone in the club that gave me the inspiration to make the four hour round trip for home games so I am delighted that you have got this role and look forward to the journey ahead.  It is not going to be easy but we all have to keep the faith.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on April 23, 2022, 07:24:41 am by Chris Black come back »
Business acumen?
I doubt it  .

James Coppinger holds 1 Director position, with Kixx Middlesbrough according to companies house - I can’t find any others but please provide links if you can. Unaudited abbreviated accounts submitted to 31/05/20 showing no Profit and Loss and net liabilities of c£6k.

Interested in your view.

Copps is the only active Director of Promindset Limited and appears to be the sole owner of the business.

He is also a Director of Zenic Group Limited, involved in acquiring SME businesses and My 1st Football Boots Limited, which retails children's football boots.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:28:42 am by Chris Black come back »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on April 23, 2022, 07:46:52 am by colincramb »
One of his first jobs must be to sack Graham Younger. Then go from there.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 23, 2022, 07:48:42 am by drfchound »
One of his first jobs must be to sack Graham Younger. Then go from there.

:whistle:

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on April 23, 2022, 08:09:58 am by BradwellRover »
Business acumen?
I doubt it  .

Interested in your view.

Copps is the only active Director of Promindset Limited and appears to be the sole owner of the business.

He is also a Director of Zenic Group Limited, involved in acquiring SME businesses and My 1st Football Boots Limited, which retails children's football boots.

Thanks, all different addresses it appears. Hence the confusion.

Also, just for good order, these other entities are all dormant (not trading) or brand new I believe?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on April 23, 2022, 11:49:34 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Or their supporters don't know Copps like they think they do...

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 23, 2022, 12:23:26 pm by EasyforDennis »

Or their supporters don't know Copps like they think they do...

I don't think or haven't read anywhere that anyone has aimed any criticism at all towards JC.
He is very much loved by ALL our fans.
The negativity is aimed at those who took the cheap, easy, untried option of appointing someone internally after a lengthy supposed thorough interview process.
I really hope it works for Copps and the club and it doesn't turn out to be " The Experiment Part 2"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012