Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 01:41:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneux  (Read 10314 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneux
« Reply #90 on June 22, 2022, 10:24:34 am by GazLaz »
Ash Hunter's probably more what were after, of available free agents. Left wing with decent creativity numbers.

I agree. He would be brilliant on the left and I suggested him to Copps. We really do need more creativity in the team.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on June 22, 2022, 10:47:34 am by DonnyOsmond »
Ash Hunter's probably more what were after, of available free agents. Left wing with decent creativity numbers.

I agree. He would be brilliant on the left and I suggested him to Copps. We really do need more creativity in the team.

Someone with creativity on that left is probably our most important signing at this moment in time, ahead of a left back.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on June 22, 2022, 10:50:21 am by ncRover »
I know we tend to resort to thinking we need a back to goal player who can hold the ball up, but we don't necessarily need that sort of forward if we play on the deck football through the lines.

I'm sure McSheffrey/Copps/Eyre have thought long and hard about this.

Sometimes, when all else fails we look to a big man, so maybe as a plan b but we could be looking at a fluid front line where much of the success comes facing goal. If deliveries are on the money then the positioning , runs and anticipation make up for lack of height.

When we look back at our most recent good spell with Whiteman dictating play, many of our goals were scored through creating overloads with players running onto things.

With Miller, Molyneux, Griffiths, Agard, Taylor, Rowe and even Barlow in the mix, they could be attacking the box from all angles.

Agree with your synopsis. I big hold up player can become a negative if it leads the team to trying to play to that strength all the time, Unless this player is going to someone like Smith at Rotherham who can play the back to gaol position but also has enough about him to be able to adapt in his play, very rare at out level and costly

Im liking the fact we're buying into the quick, smart and positive type of forward who can run at a defence, commit them, get around the back and distribute or run onto forward balls to create opportunities, much better to watch and if worked well will excite the fans enough to want to watch this type of football.
We need a plan A & B though ideally. We still played good football when Marquis was here.
I don’t mean we need a 6ft 3in centre forward just someone who can hold the ball up and we can keep possession.
There is more than one way of playing football of course but at the end of the day whatever way GM wants to play it is a simple game really which at times is made far too complicated.
Pass and move, pass and move pass and move, shoot. Just like that. Simples  ;)

As effective as Miller may be, I’ve seen people say he needs someone to play off. McSheffrey said in his interview he can play off a big man, which I was thought was interesting as we don’t have one yet.

Isn't Dodoo one of the best target men around? ;)

The dodo was a flightless bird after all!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on June 22, 2022, 10:52:45 am by ncRover »

Someone with creativity on that left is probably our most important signing at this moment in time, ahead of a left back.

But we don’t have a left back?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on June 22, 2022, 10:59:46 am by DonnyOsmond »

I'm not saying that we shouldn't bring one in, I'm saying adding creativity is more important for this team then a left back right now but both are needed.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on June 22, 2022, 01:00:41 pm by ravenrover »
Thought Tommy was our left sided player

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on June 22, 2022, 01:31:45 pm by Drover »
My Poolie mate sent me this
“Now Yorkie, we all thought Mols was off to Peterborough. I saw him make his debut for Sunderland out wide against Wolves as a late sub. Beat his man on a couple of occasions. Was hit and miss under Dave Challinor who played him behind the front man and it wasn't really his game. Came into his own under Graeme Lee who played him out wide and cuts in from the wing. Ended up as our leading goal scorer with I think eleven goals. Also won player of the year award but personally he would have been my third choice.
 On the down side he is bit of a one trick pony coming in from the left and putting in a curling shot in which tended end up in the middle of the goal and straight into the keepers arms. Mind when he got it right some wonderful goals. He won our goal of the season v Harrogate away. Well worth a look on You tube.
Also had a tendency to drift in and out of games”

How often did he watch him,He cuts in from the right does'nt he?

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on June 22, 2022, 02:05:15 pm by Silkscarf »
Arjen Robben was a one-trick pony but it served him pretty well in his career. Every defender knew what he would do but few stopped him every time.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on June 22, 2022, 02:07:52 pm by GazLaz »
Thought Tommy was our left sided player

He’s probably seen as a central midfielder. Left side of a midfield three.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on June 22, 2022, 02:14:57 pm by jmt23 »
Re Hiwula, I think he may come good - I never saw a player that did not try in him, in fact after being "dropped" for a period, he was really aggressive in tracking players - his contribution going forward was not great, and a lot of stuff he tried never worked. He along with Dodoo took the brunt of all fans anger, and this should have been dealt out a bit more evenly over the team - it was very poor across the board, front to back. The way he was sold to us as fans didn't help him though.

I also think their actions show they do/did care -As fans when you boo, or shout whatever, are you not looking for a reaction. People will react in different ways, some will puff out their chest and fight fire with fire (cupping ears) some will wilt with the pressure.

New season and a clean slate for all, but performances do have to be better from day one.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on June 22, 2022, 02:24:46 pm by Drover »
Not watched him play for Pools,I wished I had last season especially when Spike was their Gaffa,but going on the Pool fans,opinions on here and looking at videos,he looks a like a Mcindoe type of player but a more Right sided attacking midfielder.Looks like it could be a shrewd signing,well done those involved.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on June 22, 2022, 02:43:14 pm by roversdude »
“Now Yorkie, we all thought Mols was off to Peterborough. I saw him make his debut for Sunderland out wide against Wolves as a late sub. Beat his man on a couple of occasions. Was hit and miss under Dave Challinor who played him behind the front man and it wasn't really his game. Came into his own under Graeme Lee who played him out wide and cuts in from the wing. Ended up as our leading goal scorer with I think eleven goals. Also won player of the year award but personally he would have been my third choice.
 On the down side he is bit of a one trick pony coming in from the left and putting in a curling shot in which tended end up in the middle of the goal and straight into the keepers arms. Mind when he got it right some wonderful goals. He won our goal of the season v Harrogate away. Well worth a look on You tube.

Maybe a typo he watches them home and away

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on June 22, 2022, 03:05:44 pm by Campsall rover »

I'm not saying that we shouldn't bring one in, I'm saying adding creativity is more important for this team then a left back right now but both are needed.
Disagree Donny O. We desperately need a good solid left back.
We will not get promoted if we concede goals for fun like last season.
We would need to score 95 if we concede even 65

Good teams are frugal defensively I don’t want us to concede more than 50 this season.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on June 22, 2022, 03:47:06 pm by Drover »

Maybe a typo he watches them home and away
Will be then,did'nt know if it was or if I'd miss interpreted how he plays. :thumbsup:

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on June 22, 2022, 04:12:13 pm by RugbyRover »

Disagree Donny O. We desperately need a good solid left back.
We will not get promoted if we concede goals for fun like last season.
We would need to score 95 if we concede even 65

Good teams are frugal defensively I don’t want us to concede more than 50 this season.

I agree with this. Bit surprised that you don't think we need to replace Mitchell in goal?

A good solid keeper would tighten everything up at the back straight away.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on June 22, 2022, 04:17:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
All about opinions but I think we need to stop things at source so for me and many, and GM, a left back is highly desirable. Less so Mitchell who's got more positives than negatives.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneuxd
« Reply #106 on June 22, 2022, 04:45:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Apart from that clanger on debut v Rotherham what has Mitchell done wrong?
Seriously please someone tell me.
He had a crap defence in front of him last season and saved us from total humiliation on several occasions if my memory hasn’t gone completely.

He isn’t the best keeper we have ever had but he is a very decent one.
He couldn’t get in the Hartlepool team because the had a very very good keeper who kept him out.

I just don’t get it. Who do some of you expect us to have in goal right now.
Any Neil Sullivan’s out there please put you hand up now so GM can see you.

We are fine in the keeper Dept and we now have a very experienced coach to help improve him further.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on June 22, 2022, 04:48:28 pm by GazLaz »
Apart from that clanger on debut v Rotherham what has Mitchell done wrong?
Seriously please someone tell me.
He had a crap defence in front of him last season and saved us from total humiliation on several occasions if my memory hasn’t gone completely.

He isn’t the best keeper we have ever had but he is a very decent one.
He couldn’t get in the Hartlepool team because the had a very very good keeper who kept him out.

I just don’t get it. Who do some of you expect us to have in goal right now.
Any Neil Sullivan’s out there please put you hand up now so GM can see you.

We are fine in the keeper Dept and we now have a very experienced coach to help improve him further.

When he signed I highlighted his errors leading to goals numbers at Northampton were 0.24/90mins. For us that figure was 0.25/90mins. That’s too high.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on June 22, 2022, 05:16:28 pm by pib »
I think people's views are possibly skewed by his fairly decent record of saving penalties.

Otherwise I would say he's fairly steady with a proneness to making a rick. A bit like Dahlberg.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on June 22, 2022, 06:06:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s as good a keeper that we have actually owned for some considerable time.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on June 22, 2022, 07:10:14 pm by RugbyRover »

I would agree he's as good as Louis Jones and that's the problem. He was supposed to be better and he isn't.

A good keeper can save you 20 points a season, apparently.

He cost us plenty. Oxford away, Gillingham at home, Shrewsbury away, Rotherham at home

Not good enough. Maybe the new coach can add something to his game. Wouldn't surprise me if Jones got another run in the side.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on June 22, 2022, 07:11:06 pm by roversdude »
Dahlberg was decent at saving penalties, I’m impressed with Mitchell but need to see what his distribution is like once we have players who actually make runs.
If we get a target man I hope we have someone who can launch a throw in

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on June 22, 2022, 08:46:39 pm by GazLaz »

I would agree he's as good as Louis Jones and that's the problem. He was supposed to be better and he isn't.

He cost us plenty. Oxford away, Gillingham at home, Shrewsbury away, Rotherham at home

Not good enough. Maybe the new coach can add something to his game. Wouldn't surprise me if Jones got another run in the side.

Where have you got the 20pts a season number from?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on June 22, 2022, 09:08:12 pm by Lesonthewest »
Just noticed Danny Hylton has joined Northampton, reckon he would have been an excellent target man for us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on June 22, 2022, 10:27:23 pm by Campsall rover »

Goalkeepers are only as good as the defence in front of them. We had a very poor defence last season.
For every so called mistake ( most of which was the poor defending ) he made at least 10 extremely good saves.

If our defence is organised then we will see a very decent keeper behind them this season.
He is the best we have had since Deing.
He is way better than Jones, I can’t see how anyone can say he is not. Having said that Jones was having to try and get experience in a team which defensively was a shambles last season. That was very difficult for a young keeper trying to make his way in the game and establish himself as no1 keeper at the club.
Last season and 2nd half of the previous one set Jones back big time.

Mitchell is older and more experienced and up is much more assertive in the 6yd box. Much better keeper at the present time imo.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on June 23, 2022, 12:48:48 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We have the same defence, dropping to league two we might concede say sixty odd goals, having conceded 82 goals. Getting a good left back, Tom Anderson back at his best I think you could squeeze that amount down to about the fifty mark. Getting a Close and others back from injury that could bring it down below that mark.

We scored thirty seven goals last season. We’ve added Miller who I think can get us around twenty a season, Molyneux 10-15 a season. Griffiths is capable of twenty goals.Rowe is capable of around ten, Biggins will get just under that amount.
We need another striker that can weigh in with about fifteen. You would want your defence and other midfielder’s not mentioned to contribute about ten between them all.

Get all that happening then you are in and around the automatic promotion area. Plus if you can get Hiwula playing, Dodoo chipping in with a few that could push you into the top spot.
Are they surplus to requirements or can we get them playing?. I personally think both will leave. Dodoo doesn’t feel valued obviously and Hiwula it just hasn’t worked so far.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:04:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on June 23, 2022, 03:57:25 am by NickDRFC »
We have the same defence, dropping to league two we might concede say sixty odd goals, having conceded 82 goals. Getting a good left back, Tom Anderson back at his best I think you could squeeze that amount down to about the fifty mark. Getting a Close and others back from injury that could bring it down below that mark.

We scored thirty seven goals last season. We’ve added Miller who I think can get us around twenty a season, Molyneux 10-15 a season. Griffiths is capable of twenty goals.Rowe is capable of around ten, Biggins will get just under that amount.
We need another striker that can weigh in with about fifteen. You would want your defence and other midfielder’s not mentioned to contribute about ten between them all.

Get all that happening then you are in and around the automatic promotion area. Plus if you can get Hiwula playing, Dodoo chipping in with a few that could push you into the top spot.
Are they surplus to requirements or can we get them playing?. I personally think both will leave. Dodoo doesn’t feel valued obviously and Hiwula it just hasn’t worked so far.

That’s 95-100 goals you think we’ll score without counting Dodoo chipping in. If that happens we won’t be in and around the automatic promotion areas, we’ll walk the league.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on June 23, 2022, 06:39:38 am by GazLaz »

Like your optimism.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on June 23, 2022, 03:50:28 pm by Lesonthewest »
For me Mitchell is only marginally better than Jones, commands the area better & the six yard box. His catching & distribution leave a lot to be desired,  hopefully that will improve with the new keeper coach.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on June 23, 2022, 05:14:53 pm by roversdude »
His distribution was affected by the fact nobody was moving for him

TinyPortal © 2005-2012