Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:10:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 13575 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
John Marquis
« on June 29, 2022, 09:32:59 am by Draytonian III »
Anyone else follow him on Instagram, because it looks like he’s gone to Dubai for some personal intensive training, is still without a club ?
I’m not saying we should sign him, but it’s just come up on my Instagram account

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #1 on June 29, 2022, 09:40:30 am by mushRTID »
Yeah been thinking the same, still without a club.

I know some people like to bash those who pine for ex players to return. But I honestly think this would be a good move for all if we could make it work.

It would be a statement signing in L2 as well.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 29, 2022, 09:42:04 am by Campsall rover »
Anyone else follow him on Instagram, because it looks like he’s gone to Dubai for some personal intensive training, is still without a club ?
I’m not saying we should sign him, but it’s just come up on my Instagram account
Got to be worth Rovers giving him £2500 to £3000 a week. In league 2 he would surely get 15 goals minimum.
Him and Griffiths or Miller up front could be very prolific in the goals scored column.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 29, 2022, 09:57:43 am by karldew »
Give him the money that Hiwula and Dodoo were on. Would be class in league 2

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 29, 2022, 09:59:46 am by colincramb »
Whilst I agree with the rationale, let’s not forgot that he did everything he could to force a move back down south. What makes people think he has any desire to return to a place he allegedly so desperately wanted to leave?

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 29, 2022, 10:00:26 am by keith79 »
Some dont like him.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 29, 2022, 10:12:00 am by RoversAlias »
Whilst I agree with the rationale, let’s not forgot that he did everything he could to force a move back down south. What makes people think he has any desire to return to a place he allegedly so desperately wanted to leave?

Marquis liked it here, he enjoyed his spell and we ignited his career. Three of his former Rovers team mates are now the manager, Head of Football and de-facto captain. His ambitions will no longer be to join a big club aiming for the Championship and he no longer has a new kid on the way. He also showed he was willing to come back north when he signed for Lincoln.

I'm not saying we will sign him, or that he will want to come back compared to other offers he may have. But the circumstances of his departure in 2019 are completely different to his circumstances now. And he said when he left he could see himself back in a Rovers shirt one day.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 29, 2022, 10:12:25 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It's up to the club to try sell him that.  They may do/have done and he says no, they may not want him....

I would try and say look you can become a big fish here again and be properly loved which you haven't really had anywhere else. That may not be his driver but it would be for me.

Of course he may want to be down south, he may want to be at a higher level, he may want to earn more and the club may not want him.  But I do feel we need a physical striker who can put the ball away.

Overall feels a nigh on impossible player to sign for all the reasons above.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 29, 2022, 10:15:33 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Does he fit in with MCS's vision of how he wants the team to play? If not, it'd be too big a dent in the budget to sign someone who may not fit in.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 29, 2022, 10:38:45 am by roversdude »
Seems to have lost his way a little

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 29, 2022, 10:44:47 am by RoversAlias »
Does he fit in with MCS's vision of how he wants the team to play? If not, it'd be too big a dent in the budget to sign someone who may not fit in.

Very good point if Marquis doesn't line up with how we want to play, however the signings of Biggins and Miller - along with what McSheffrey has said - suggest we are going to aim to play more energised, pressing football this season. If that's the case, Marquis fits perfectly because he harries the back-line and has good movement around the pitch. We played him as a #9 who drifted across the front and dropped back into midfield, he was relentless and if we signed him to perform that role again, possibly alongside a Miller or Griffiths, it would suit how it appears McSheffrey is wanting us to play.

But without having seen us play yet this season, it is hard to say that is actually what we're going for, for definite.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 29, 2022, 11:07:41 am by ravenrover »
A litte correction there Mrs Marquis did everything she could to get him to move down South

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 29, 2022, 11:12:04 am by keyser_soze »

I think we should be moving heaven and earth (within reason) to sign him and he would be worth both Dodoo and Hiwula for me. Proven at this level, with us, and Copps and McSheff will know how to get the most of him. His brand of nastiness and shithousery is what we have lacked for a while and if nothing else his signing will be a massive boost for the fans.

Regarding the geography, things change, and often things aren't as they seem (I remember Wellens wanting to move back to Manchester before ending up at Shrewsbury and completely denied that was ever the case when he arrived as manager). He doesn't seem to be in a position to demand a move to a certain area of the country these days.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 29, 2022, 01:06:25 pm by GazLaz »
Got to be worth Rovers giving him £2500 to £3000 a week. In league 2 he would surely get 15 goals minimum.
Him and Griffiths or Miller up front could be very prolific in the goals scored column.

Who creates with those three in the team?

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 29, 2022, 01:10:38 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
Because of his past connection to the club, he's probably the only striker of his proven quality we'd have a chance of convincing to drop into league two for us. I'd assume we're at least asking the question.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 29, 2022, 01:20:13 pm by Branton Rover »
From memory his desire to get back south was driven by his girlfriend having a baby and wanting family around at that time - let’s not forget JM has still got a house here in Rosso so him returning not beyond possibilities.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 29, 2022, 01:44:56 pm by Campsall rover »
From memory his desire to get back south was driven by his girlfriend having a baby and wanting family around at that time - let’s not forget JM has still got a house here in Rosso so him returning not beyond possibilities.
Didn’t know about the house. Presumably he is renting it out.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 29, 2022, 01:45:35 pm by Goole Rover »
No please no !

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 29, 2022, 01:46:55 pm by Campsall rover »
Because of his past connection to the club, he's probably the only striker of his proven quality we'd have a chance of convincing to drop into league two for us. I'd assume we're at least asking the question.
Think if Bradford City offered him £5000/6000 a week he could be tempted.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 29, 2022, 02:01:44 pm by Campsall rover »

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 29, 2022, 02:05:56 pm by keith79 »

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 29, 2022, 02:07:52 pm by donny dave »
Yes please from me.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 29, 2022, 02:09:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
He could do the job of Dodoo and Hiwula with both hands tied behind his back and there would still be a 50% improvement in the attacking third!

A ‘no brainer’!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 29, 2022, 03:59:59 pm by PDX_Rover »
Would love him back.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 29, 2022, 04:03:20 pm by Campsall rover »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 29, 2022, 05:52:07 pm by Sprotyrover »
Money is no doubt  the driver for a 30 year old footballer without a contract, he would come for the right salary.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 29, 2022, 06:02:27 pm by scawsby steve »
No please no !
Why?
obviously doesn't rate him.

Anyone who doesn't rate Marquis's potential as a top League 2 striker doesn't know anything about football.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 29, 2022, 06:02:35 pm by afro goal machine »
People still saying ‘no thanks’ with the dross weve had up front since

Get him back

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 29, 2022, 06:03:17 pm by Branton Rover »
For all the nay sayer’s who never rated him - I say why? He hardly ever missed a match 3 games in 3 seasons scored 20+ goals two out of 3 seasons & let’s face it we usually are the graveyard for goal scoring strikers, not in the case of Marquis.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 29, 2022, 06:04:37 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
If he wants to join us then there isn’t anything to think about, give him the right service and he is capable of twenty goals a season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012