Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:05:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 13570 times)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #120 on July 05, 2022, 06:40:15 am by keith79 »
Hi all,
Gashead in peace. I was coming on here to ask what is Marquis like having seen his announcement on our website. But Ive read the thread and seen that he appears to have divided opinions. Given that we think it was between Norwood and him as to who Joey B wanted to sign I was glad he decided on John M. Only seen him about 5/6 times and he seemed a decent player so I was surprised opinion on here was so divided about his time here.
As with all transfers time will tell and they never come with guarantees.

Up the Rovers.
you will love him

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on July 05, 2022, 06:56:02 am by roversdude »
If he feels he belongs you’ve a great player, if he doesn’t you’ll be loaning him out

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on July 05, 2022, 07:19:48 am by steve@dcfd »
Marquis or Fej?

Marquis 100%, 100% of the time.

Fejs a slightly better finisher. Marquis is better in the air and pressing. Depends what you're after.
You have your opinion Donny strange one I have to say.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on July 05, 2022, 07:30:40 am by andy didcott »
Marquis and Billy sharp best two strikers we’ve had in decades, would love em back here.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 05, 2022, 07:38:03 am by DonnyOsmond »
Marquis or Fej?

Fejs a slightly better finisher. Marquis is better in the air and pressing. Depends what you're after.
You have your opinion Donny strange one I have to say.

Why is it strange Steve?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on July 05, 2022, 07:46:57 am by steve@dcfd »
Because Okenabirhie missed a lot of chances getting his feet right. Different player really. As said above Billy and Marquis are the best two strikers we had for along time. But it’s your opinion so be it.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 05, 2022, 08:03:13 am by DonnyOsmond »
Because Okenabirhie missed a lot of chances getting his feet right. Different player really. As said above Billy and Marquis are the best two strikers we had for along time. But it’s your opinion so be it.

They both miss chances, all strikers do! Fej just misses slightly less but I'm haven't said either is better than the other as a striker, I've said it depends on the need of your team at the time. Marquis having scored as many as he did for us will obviously go down in history as an all time great. However I doubt either of them would have scored more than 10 in our team last season.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on July 05, 2022, 11:37:28 am by graingrover »
Marquis has signed for Bristol Rovers .

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on July 05, 2022, 12:30:38 pm by Goole Rover »
Should be fun with his temperament and Joey.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on July 05, 2022, 12:39:22 pm by eastender »
Marquis has signed for Bristol Rovers .
He hasn't has he. :lol:

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on July 05, 2022, 12:44:49 pm by Upton Rover »
Never have him back, past it

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on July 05, 2022, 01:34:33 pm by roversdude »
As good as he was whilst he was with us - most of the people who were stamping their feet to get him back are the same people who slagged our defence to death last season (excuse the pun but I can’t defend the defence) - just remind me of how many JM scored against the shoddy defence

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on July 05, 2022, 08:14:23 pm by scawsby steve »
Marquis or Fej?

Where are the stats that say Fej is a better finisher?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on July 05, 2022, 08:20:11 pm by scawsby steve »
Hi all,
Gashead in peace. I was coming on here to ask what is Marquis like having seen his announcement on our website. But Ive read the thread and seen that he appears to have divided opinions. Given that we think it was between Norwood and him as to who Joey B wanted to sign I was glad he decided on John M. Only seen him about 5/6 times and he seemed a decent player so I was surprised opinion on here was so divided about his time here.

Up the Rovers.

60 odd goals in 3 seasons, and never ever injured. That's what he achieved with us, Eadiee.

Have a good season, mate.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on July 05, 2022, 08:51:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Marquis or Fej?

Better goal conversion percentage in both 18-19 and 20-21. 19-20 was covid season and Fej didn't play for Shrewsbury so can't compare. Fej also scored above his xG in both season, Marquis was under on both.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on July 05, 2022, 09:00:07 pm by scawsby steve »
Marquis or Fej?

Better goal conversion percentage in both 18-19 and 20-21. 19-20 was covid season and Fej didn't play for Shrewsbury so can't compare. Fej also scored above his xG in both season, Marquis was under on both.

Aimless, pointless stats that mean nothing. It's goals that count.

As regards chances missed, as Hound says, you have to be in the right position to have those chances, which is a knack in itself.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on July 05, 2022, 09:01:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Marquis or Fej?

As regards chances missed, as Hound says, you have to be in the right position to have those chances, which is a knack in itself.

Ah, so you weren't actually after an answer to my post, you'd already decided I was wrong even if I could back it up. :laugh:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on July 05, 2022, 11:21:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Marquis or Fej?

Ah, so you weren't actually after an answer to my post, you'd already decided I was wrong even if I could back it up. :laugh:
Don’t talk rubbish.
How many goals has Fej scored in the EFL
How many goals has JM scored in the EFL 

There is no contest as to who has been the better player over the last 5/6 years.
Strikers live or die by goals scored. Yes there are  other attributes to playing up front. Marquis would win that contest hands down also.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on July 06, 2022, 12:18:17 am by RoversAlias »
All DO said was that Fej was a better finisher. He got asked for the stats which informed that opinion, provided them, and then got told he's talking rubbish. That's a bit unfair in my opinion.

Football has moved on from looking at it in such basic fashion as "scores more goals". Those statistics tell you where Fej's strengths lie compared to Marquis.

They're both good strikers but play in a different way, which I believe is all DO was saying.

I would have loved to have seen them both up front for us again but it appears unlikely that either ever will don the hoops again.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on July 06, 2022, 07:25:58 am by pib »
Hi all,

Up the Rovers.

I think it says more about this site than JM that he “divided opinion”. The guy has got to be comfortably in the top handful of most consistent goal scorers that anyone posting on here has ever seen at the club.

If he’s still anything like he was here, JM is a menace for defenders. He occupies them and never gives them a moment’s peace, and runs after absolutely everything. Exactly the sort of player everyone loves to have on their side, but hates them when they’re on the opposition side.

Yes he’ll miss the odd sitter and will sometimes show his frustration when things don’t go his way, but you can’t fault his work rate or his goal scoring ability.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on July 06, 2022, 07:38:54 am by DonnyOsmond »
All DO said was that Fej was a better finisher. He got asked for the stats which informed that opinion, provided them, and then got told he's talking rubbish. That's a bit unfair in my opinion.

Football has moved on from looking at it in such basic fashion as "scores more goals". Those statistics tell you where Fej's strengths lie compared to Marquis.

They're both good strikers but play in a different way, which I believe is all DO was saying.

I would have loved to have seen them both up front for us again but it appears unlikely that either ever will don the hoops again.

Cheers RA, that's correct. :)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 06, 2022, 08:23:07 am by Campsall rover »

Ok I shouldn’t have used the words “talking rubbish”
I just find it frustrating when i see posts devaluing what JM did for us. The stats quoted by DO don’t mean a great deal really imo.
Maybe he isn’t quite that same player anymore, who knows. But I do know he gave everything for DRFC on the field and was our most prolific goalscorer for decades. Only Billy Sharpe could be considered more prolific on a goals to games ratio I would think.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on July 06, 2022, 08:28:08 am by Campsall rover »
Marquis or Fej?

Apologies for the “talking rubbish”
That was over the top.  :)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on July 06, 2022, 08:40:47 am by Branton Rover »
Joined the Gas heads

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on July 06, 2022, 09:27:52 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hi all,

Up the Rovers.

I think it says more about this site than JM that he “divided opinion”. The guy has got to be comfortably in the top handful of most consistent goal scorers that anyone posting on here has ever seen at the club.

If he’s still anything like he was here, JM is a menace for defenders. He occupies them and never gives them a moment’s peace, and runs after absolutely everything. Exactly the sort of player everyone loves to have on their side, but hates them when they’re on the opposition side.

Yes he’ll miss the odd sitter and will sometimes show his frustration when things don’t go his way, but you can’t fault his work rate or his goal scoring ability.

It maybe we got the best from Marquis. All of what you say is accurate however, from what we've seen of him since, he hasn't really shown the same hunger and desire. Many Portsmouth fans questioned why they paid so much for him as he didn't show the level of consistency we saw over his time with us. He didn't pull up any trees at Lincoln.

Who knows what he'll produce at the Gas but no doubt, Barton will try to extract every ounce of desire out of him.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 06, 2022, 10:00:36 am by pib »
Hi all,

Up the Rovers.

It maybe we got the best from Marquis. All of what you say is accurate however, from what we've seen of him since, he hasn't really shown the same hunger and desire. Many Portsmouth fans questioned why they paid so much for him as he didn't show the level of consistency we saw over his time with us. He didn't pull up any trees at Lincoln.

Who knows what he'll produce at the Gas but no doubt, Barton will try to extract every ounce of desire out of him.

Hard to say Baz, because what I've seen of him since he's left Rovers has been pretty limited.

What I will say is when he has played against us for Portsmouth, I've always thought god I wish we still had him. Even if he didn't score in some of the games, I remember him running after everything and hurrying our play, which is not easy to deal with when its so relentless.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on July 06, 2022, 10:26:34 am by Colin C No.3 »
I know you ‘came in peace’ Gashead & I have fond memories of The Johnstones Paint Trophy & The Millenium Stadium.

Alan Warboys once plied his trade with you, I happen to like your home kit (even be it blue), but I hope you get relegated this season.

Nothing to do with Marquis, more to do with a certain Joey Barton.

He was a thug & a coward as a player, he was arrogant & ungracious when manager of Fleetwood (& played horrible football I would not want to watch week in week out) & he’s still a thug & still a coward as a man who, if the law wasn’t an ass, should have a criminal record to stick on his cv’s.

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on July 07, 2022, 01:07:21 pm by eadiee73 »
Thank you for all your views, always good to come on here.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on July 07, 2022, 02:30:39 pm by steve@dcfd »
Thank you for all your views, always good to come on here.
He worked his socks  while he was here. Yes he used get frustrated sometimes and he miss chances but his record in league one for us, Portsmouth and Lincoln 200 games and 68 goals was about a goal every 3 games but if he got on a run he would continue to score

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on July 11, 2022, 08:18:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s an option if the wages are right and he wants to come. There are other players also. Marquis is tried and tested, we know what he’s capable of and how to get the best from him.
That makes him more appealing because after last season, we are craving some certainty before we start a season where we aren’t sure what’s going to happen.

If he’s not interested then somebody with a bit of a physical side to his game with subtlety added in, is needed.
Griffiths has potential but we need an experienced guy to help him bring that out.
I agree we need a player with a physical presence like the lad at Solihull Moore’s, he must worth a try.

He plays with the grace of a horse trying to fight off a tranquilliser dart! Mandron or Oliver both available
Oliver or Whickham? You changed it yes?

Whickham injury prone and not produced for a long time.
Oliver I like and would be a yes from me.
Mandron I don’t know much about. Where has he been recently? Think he started at Crewe didn’t he?

Yes sorry I changed it after looking in to Wickham a bit more.

Mandron (6 foot 3, 27 y/o) most recently at Crewe not bad scoring record for a side as poor as them. Looks like he started out at Sunderland as a youth. Sounds good technically at hold up play so goals not everything in that role.

Mandron has signed for Gillingham.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012