Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:09:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 13574 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #30 on June 29, 2022, 06:09:55 pm by Branton Rover »
We’ve had plenty of misfiring strikers who were prolific elsewhere came to us and did nowt,

Tommy Tynan
Carl Alford & Justin Jackson to mention just 3

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 29, 2022, 06:44:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
We have to give him the right contract first, Sammy!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 29, 2022, 07:07:07 pm by Jonathan »
Those supporters that didn’t rate Marquis when he was here remain one of the biggest mysteries.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 29, 2022, 07:36:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't get why the inference is all the time  that it's the board who are not pursuing Marquis, and if they did, it's assumed he'd drop everything and come here.

Firstly, GM & Copps manage a budget and each acquisition falls within a certain wage structure. Lincoln pushed the boat out to sign him for half a season.  If GM & Copps are managing that budget well, then why would they blow the wage structure out of the water for this, and subsequent seasons for one player??

Secondly  why assume he would even entertain coming back here? You might say some nice things when departing from an ex but you probs don't want to go back there!

If those who are that inquisitive and follow his social media, why not ask him.

I guess If both sides wanted it to happen, and could make it happen, it would have been done by now.

Move on.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 29, 2022, 07:36:44 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Those supporters that didn’t rate Marquis when he was here remain one of the biggest mysteries.

I’m sure the answers in the bottom of their Netto bags

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 29, 2022, 07:48:50 pm by Padge_DRFC »

I’m sure the answers in the bottom of their Netto bags

From what I've ever seen of this group of people they've questioned why Marquis has received boos but Alfie May is worshipped when they have both come back to the Keepmoat

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 29, 2022, 08:18:04 pm by NickDRFC »
I don't get why the inference is all the time  that it's the board who are not pursuing Marquis, and if they did, it's assumed he'd drop everything and come here.

Firstly, GM & Copps manage a budget and each acquisition falls within a certain wage structure. Lincoln pushed the boat out to sign him for half a season.  If GM & Copps are managing that budget well, then why would they blow the wage structure out of the water for this, and subsequent seasons for one player??

Secondly  why assume he would even entertain coming back here? You might say some nice things when departing from an ex but you probs don't want to go back there!

If those who are that inquisitive and follow his social media, why not ask him.

I guess If both sides wanted it to happen, and could make it happen, it would have been done by now.

Move on.

Has anyone actually inferred that in this thread? I’ve not seen it.

I don’t think it would necessarily blow the wage structure either. We’ve just got Doodoo & Hiwula off the books whose previous clubs were upper League One clubs so there’s no way they were on a pittance and I’d be very surprised if Marquis’ wages weren’t covered by the savings made there. There’s probably the consideration that he would be our top earner, potentially by a bit, but (excuse the pun) he’d be a marquee signing and his previous record at this level and above would justify it.

Of course he might not fancy it but if McSheffrey/Copps think he suits our system then we’d be daft not to at least have a conversation. After that, if he indicated he wasn’t keen, we could “move on”.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 29, 2022, 08:19:53 pm by LincolnDonny »
There are not many Ex players I would like back, but JM would tick a box with me.

So Management/owners we made a great profit last time from him.

Lets invest some money and you never know, another team may want a quick fix and throw money our way again.
In the mean time we get something we was so lacking:

EFFORT and GOALS.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 29, 2022, 08:36:31 pm by ditch_drfc »

I think you're assuming people that didn't like him, didn't rate him.

I wasn't a fan of Marquis. Great potential and fantastic ability, but he seemed lazy at times and would throw his arms up in the air far too many times as a ball sailed past him as if it wasn't his fault for not running onto it.

You can't deny the man's talent, but there's a reason he's without a club and I suspect his attitude is probably the main reason.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 29, 2022, 08:40:23 pm by roversdude »
I think lazy is the last word you could choose to describe Marquis

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 29, 2022, 08:43:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Lazy! Anyone watching the game properly would never describe John Marquis as lazy.

He had an attitude of always wanting more. That's a good trait to have as a professional sportsperson, and he ran himself into the ground week after week for us.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 29, 2022, 08:54:42 pm by Silkscarf »
Marquis is one of the best strikers I’ve seen in our shirt. I’ve only been going since 1976 so we’ve had a few better ones that I never saw. But not many. I was always glad to see him play for us. If he and the club fancied another spell I’d be delighted.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 29, 2022, 09:03:12 pm by ditch_drfc »
You're completely missing the point I'm making. I never said he was lazy 100% of the time. There were so many times where he just wanted the ball delivered directly to his feet and if it wasn't he wouldn't run onto it. He'd just have a tantrum about it.

Personally not bothered about seeing him in a rovers shirt again.

He's had 6 pretty decent years and I would imagine that time is coming to an end. There's a bit of a fascination with ex players at this club, whether it be backroom staff or re-signing them as players. Let's look elsewhere and try to get a player for the future.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 29, 2022, 09:14:52 pm by afro goal machine »
I dont get to as many games as id like but Bradford away we won 1-0 he put his face in where it hurts numerous times and battled the full game, definitely not lazy

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 29, 2022, 09:32:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Obviously if he was up for coming back up North (he went to Lincoln so maybe he is) and we can afford him then it'd be a good deal to do.

But it depends on what our priorities are. If GM really rates Miller and Griffiths adding Marquis might not add much value especially if his wages impact recruitment of more pressing positions.

He'll probably not play in the championship now and the top clubs in L1 don't seem interested so maybe a chance at a promotion season at a club he knows would be very tempting

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 29, 2022, 09:55:07 pm by Butchers Red »
To unravel it for you - the vast majority who have actually played football to any decent standard saw right through him. First press?, harrying the opposition?, I've never seen anyone else who could charge round like a rampaging bull and virtually always manage never to actually get there or put a foot in. Consistently out of position as a result, missed sitters when you need the striker most, ie 0-0 or 0-1. Majority of his goals came when we were already on top. Basically a flat track bully.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 29, 2022, 09:55:49 pm by Goole Rover »
No please no !
Why?
obviously doesn't rate him.
Twigged that. Just wanted a more detailed explanation.
Sorry Campsall I should have replied earlier however I've been away all day.
My reasons are.
Having watched him at Pompey and Lincoln I wasn't impressed, here at Rovers I thought that he worked hard but as someone has said he wanted the ball at his feet. You have to remember the excellent service he received here and also the glaring misses. I believe that he's past his best, he wanted away so let him be a memory. Very few returning players make an impression I can only think of one, our older fans will know who I'm thinking of.   

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 29, 2022, 10:02:40 pm by DRNaith »
I think we've seen that he does really well at clubs that are able to build the team around him.

Other clubs that haven't done so, soon find no value in having him start.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 29, 2022, 10:16:21 pm by Dutch Uncle »
No please no !
Why?
My reasons are.
Having watched him at Pompey and Lincoln I wasn't impressed, here at Rovers I thought that he worked hard but as someone has said he wanted the ball at his feet. You have to remember the excellent service he received here and also the glaring misses. I believe that he's past his best, he wanted away so let him be a memory. Very few returning players make an impression I can only think of one, our older fans will know who I'm thinking of.   

Alick Jeffrey? Alan Warboys? Colin Douglas? Albert Broadbent? Graham Watson? Dennis Peacock? Tim Ryan? Chris Brown?

I think there's been more than one Goole.

BTW not saying I disagree about Marquis who was great while he was here, certainly he had excellent service. He might or might not do well if he came back - I am not sure either way. I certainly hope we do sign someone who can hold the ball and make the ball stick up front though

Edit: Of course we can also add Tommy Rowe to that list  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:18:59 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 29, 2022, 10:20:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
To read the criticism of JM is absolutely dumbfounding to me. Have none of you been watching what we’ve had lately?

As for breaking the budget, or whatever DBR said, he’s bloody well worth breaking the budget. Statement signing, bring one or two doubters back on side, be a massive help to both Miller and Griffiths and finally, the level of shithousery, right across the pitch, would go up tenfold.

Lazy? Seriously? In my lifetime of watching DRFC, I’ve seen some good forward players, some very good and imho JM is right up there with them. Just like Whiteman, we’ve missed him since he left and there’s no shame in admitting that.

Josh Horsman

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 29, 2022, 10:26:07 pm by Josh Horsman »
No brainer if he’s available/willing. Not only did he score goals, he read the game so well, he would hold the ball up and fall over at slightest of touch to win free kicks, to help relieve pressure when we were under the cosh.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 29, 2022, 10:32:35 pm by Goole Rover »
No please no !
Why?
My reasons are.

Alick Jeffrey? Alan Warboys? Colin Douglas? Albert Broadbent? Graham Watson? Dennis Peacock? Tim Ryan? Chris Brown?

I think there's been more than one Goole.

BTW not saying I disagree about Marquis who was great while he was here, certainly he had excellent service. He might or might not do well if he came back - I am not sure either way. I certainly hope we do sign someone who can hold the ball and make the ball stick up front though

Edit: Of course we can also add Tommy Rowe to that list  :lol:
I stand corrected Uncle but the only ones who played anything like their former self in my opinion were Alick, Warboys and Douglas. The latter two playing in a different roll.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 29, 2022, 10:54:25 pm by Campsall rover »
No please no !
Why?
My reasons are.
Alan Warboys i would guess is who your referring to.

Marquis maybe past his best but if he is up for the challenge we would struggle to get anyone better to lead the line in League 2.
I agree that returning players don’t usually produce the same level of performance but if Marquis has the right attitude, desire and determination he showed with us previously then he would be a no brainier signing for us right now.
Who are we going to get that is better? We are a league 2 club right now so top strikers are are rare commodity.
Do we take a gamble & try and pull someone out of a the National League Club that has scored prolifically over the last couple of seasons? If so who do we go for?

The fact is we do now need another front man. Someone who can hold the ball up, someone with physical strength and someone who knows where the goal posts are.
Marquis fits all that criteria in my book.
The question is would he come back if asked and are GM and Copps even remotely interested in bringing him back. That’s all that counts. What I want or anyone else wants is irrelevant.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 29, 2022, 11:26:36 pm by DearneValleyRover »
When Marquis left he made it quite clear about how he felt about Doncaster as a whole. I doubt he would be interested in returning.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 29, 2022, 11:44:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s a great player at this level and would doubtless score goals for us, although we would have to break the bank at this level to pay him and there is probably zero resale value. That’s a tough case to make with finite resources.

obeonesarover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 30, 2022, 12:21:35 am by obeonesarover »
my only concern is that many fans are living on memories , in reality he never faired well against one of the leakiest defenses in L1 last season (us) , what makes people think he will be good with us another time around,I personally think it would be too much of a gamble

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 30, 2022, 04:54:33 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s about him taking a big cut in wages, he isn’t in the position to demand massive wages.
His best season was with us, he won’t replicate that again unless he gets a manager willing to make him the main man up there.

It’s whether he wants to play in the north. It’s whether the club want him so badly ,that they have to forget signing other players they might need.

We need him to want to come here, not as a favour but to just want to play regularly and give everything he has, as he did before.
I don’t agree he’s past it, just that no other team has played to his strengths. He is capable of twenty a season still with the right players and system around him.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 30, 2022, 05:32:59 am by roversdude »
I think the biggest factor is our management are building a TEAM, they have gone on record stating they want the right characters. Maybe they just don’t see him as a good fit with what they are building

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 30, 2022, 07:48:17 am by Jonathan »
When Marquis left he made it quite clear about how he felt about Doncaster as a whole. I doubt he would be interested in returning.

Can you point us in the direction of that? Or is it just hearsay? I never saw any comment remotely to that effect.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on June 30, 2022, 08:05:29 am by ravenrover »
As would have been said when I were a lad, St Caths have let some out today
Thr best one LAZY!??

TinyPortal © 2005-2012