Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:55:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 13555 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #90 on July 01, 2022, 07:17:58 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He’s an option if the wages are right and he wants to come. There are other players also. Marquis is tried and tested, we know what he’s capable of and how to get the best from him.
That makes him more appealing because after last season, we are craving some certainty before we start a season where we aren’t sure what’s going to happen.

If he’s not interested then somebody with a bit of a physical side to his game with subtlety added in, is needed.
Griffiths has potential but we need an experienced guy to help him bring that out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on July 01, 2022, 08:26:56 am by Campsall rover »
I would expect he was on £5000 a week at Pompey. Just a guess.

Would he accept £3000 at Rovers? That would make him probably our highest or equal highest earner at the club.
Personally I think that outlay would be well worth paying.
Yes he has had a couple of seasons where he has not been prolific at Pompey and latterly on loan with the Imps.

He knows our club though has a fantastic goals to game ratio with us & is revered by the majority of the fans.
I am convinced he has 3 good years left in him at League 1 or league 2 level
( just one in league 2 of course  :). hopefully  :)

If he has not had an offer from a League 1 club then surely we should speak to him and or his agent and ask the question.

If we have someone else lined up then fiair enough but would we get anyone better or equal to Marquis is the big unknown.

We are all great Managers on here though and know best don’t we  ;).
Well no we don’t really.
We will leave it to the professionals and hope they make the right decisions.

It is important the board give Copps and GM a very competitive budget because it is important we don’t hang about in this league for long.

Promotion this season or at worst next is massive for the club.
We need to keep our fan base interested and can’t afford to lose another 2,000 fans on top of the 2.000 we lost at the gate last season.

Success on the field this season should see gates around 6,000
Top 2/3 we may ave near to 7.000 especially if we are scoring plenty of goals.

Mid table mediocrity could see gates ave around 4,500 

Marquis would add 500 + at the gate at the 1st home game. imo.
Statement signing.
Go get him if it’s possible. That’s what I would say.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 01, 2022, 08:29:11 am by Goole Rover »
He’s an option if the wages are right and he wants to come. There are other players also. Marquis is tried and tested, we know what he’s capable of and how to get the best from him.
That makes him more appealing because after last season, we are craving some certainty before we start a season where we aren’t sure what’s going to happen.

If he’s not interested then somebody with a bit of a physical side to his game with subtlety added in, is needed.
Griffiths has potential but we need an experienced guy to help him bring that out.
I agree we need a player with a physical presence like the lad at Solihull Moore’s, he must worth a try.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 01, 2022, 09:01:13 am by ncRover »

I agree we need a player with a physical presence like the lad at Solihull Moore’s, he must worth a try.

He plays with the grace of a horse trying to fight off a tranquilliser dart! Mandron or Oliver both available
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:05:13 am by ncRover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 01, 2022, 09:09:13 am by Campsall rover »

He plays with the grace of a horse trying to fight off a tranquilliser dart! Mandron or Oliver both available
Oliver or Whickham? You changed it yes?

Whickham injury prone and not produced for a long time.
Oliver I like and would be a yes from me.
Mandron I don’t know much about. Where has he been recently? Think he started at Crewe didn’t he?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 01, 2022, 09:24:05 am by ncRover »

Oliver or Whickham? You changed it yes?

Whickham injury prone and not produced for a long time.
Oliver I like and would be a yes from me.
Mandron I don’t know much about. Where has he been recently? Think he started at Crewe didn’t he?

Yes sorry I changed it after looking in to Wickham a bit more.

Mandron (6 foot 3, 27 y/o) most recently at Crewe not bad scoring record for a side as poor as them. Looks like he started out at Sunderland as a youth. Sounds good technically at hold up play so goals not everything in that role.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on July 01, 2022, 09:34:02 am by selby »
  I don't like the statement of "sounds good technically" that sounds like you would sign somebody you don't know a lot about.
  I think we had that experiment last season and it went tits up.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on July 01, 2022, 09:37:40 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Much of this is just wishful speculation.

If I'm John Marquis, I'm keeping my options open and wanting the best possible wage, length of contract and location.

When the time comes, he'll weigh up what's on the table but I would imagine DRFC is not on his radar.

He waited in the last window, and went for Lincoln, who were probably the only ones who were prepared to get anywhere near what he wanted, and for a short term deal, he took it.

He's been around the block enough to know how to play the game.

The same posters inpatient for news who also think Marquis is a realistic target, can’t have it both ways. IF, there's even a remote possibility of signing him, you're going to have to wait.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 01, 2022, 09:48:02 am by ncRover »
Gary could hold off on a striker for now anyway, says he’s letting Fej prove his fitness just now.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 01, 2022, 11:44:46 am by steve@dcfd »
Gary could hold off on a striker for now anyway, says he’s letting Fej prove his fitness just now.
He’s not the player who can play with his back to goal hold the ball up. In fact we don’t have that sort of player yet. Fedj plays best coming from the left towards goal.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 01, 2022, 12:35:13 pm by Drover »
Then to suggest that just because he's a free agent it'd be somehow more of a bargain when you have no idea that's the case or not isn't really a good idea.
If Free agents are not more of a bargain,why do we tend to sign vastly more under the self sustaining policy?It's still likely to be a more of a bargain than if trying to sign said player of said quality than if he was under contract.Majority of fans do know a free agent is not totally free,It would be better if we called them "Free of Contract" instead of "Free Agent".

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on July 01, 2022, 01:09:50 pm by Canadian Rover »
Marquis or Fej?

Marquis 100%, 100% of the time.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on July 01, 2022, 02:23:13 pm by ncRover »
He’s not the player who can play with his back to goal hold the ball up. In fact we don’t have that sort of player yet. Fedj plays best coming from the left towards goal.

I agree. But now he’s said that I can’t see us going for a target man in the near future. We could then end up with 5 strikers for potentially 1 starting position

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on July 01, 2022, 03:00:55 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
surely Derby County sounds like a good shout   for lastminute(signings)DERBY.com
as a squad player

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 01, 2022, 04:15:18 pm by bradford exile »
Marquis now linked with AFC Wimbledon. Regards Ray

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 01, 2022, 04:51:27 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I think Fej will be one of our forwards, if he’s looking anything like he did before injury he will get a contract.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on July 01, 2022, 06:30:34 pm by roversdude »
Wonder what he’s like at left back

Ho

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on July 04, 2022, 06:37:54 pm by Ho »
Now a Gashead

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on July 04, 2022, 06:57:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
At least he ended up at Rovers!

Glad this one's put to bed and we can move on.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on July 04, 2022, 07:20:25 pm by eastender »
At least he ended up at Rovers!

Glad this one's put to bed and we can move on.

Yeah , i can hear Gmac churning out Moore's immortal quote, tomorrow " we'll get a striker every bit as good, if not better than Marquis"  :lol:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 04, 2022, 07:45:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Yep, two year deal at Bristol Rovers. Playing under Joey Barton in League One. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 04, 2022, 09:55:13 pm by drfchound »
He will improve his dark arts skills under Barton, that’s a given.

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 04, 2022, 10:19:52 pm by eadiee73 »
Hi all,
Gashead in peace. I was coming on here to ask what is Marquis like having seen his announcement on our website. But Ive read the thread and seen that he appears to have divided opinions. Given that we think it was between Norwood and him as to who Joey B wanted to sign I was glad he decided on John M. Only seen him about 5/6 times and he seemed a decent player so I was surprised opinion on here was so divided about his time here.
As with all transfers time will tell and they never come with guarantees.

Up the Rovers.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 04, 2022, 10:23:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think if there was a poll it wouldn't be a divided opinion. 9 out of 10 DRFC fans know he's the best striker we've had since Billy Sharp.

Negative opinions just stand out a more. A bit like when you look at reviews for hotels/resturants. The one negative review will draw the eye way more than the many 5 stars

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on July 04, 2022, 10:24:58 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well, that's a shame. One of the best strikers I've seen in the hoops. Would have loved him here again.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on July 04, 2022, 10:26:38 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hi all,
Gashead in peace. I was coming on here to ask what is Marquis like having seen his announcement on our website. But Ive read the thread and seen that he appears to have divided opinions. Given that we think it was between Norwood and him as to who Joey B wanted to sign I was glad he decided on John M. Only seen him about 5/6 times and he seemed a decent player so I was surprised opinion on here was so divided about his time here.

Up the Rovers.

The negatives are his touching and passing aren't great and he gets a bit frustrated easily and starts moaning. Positives are, decent presser, winds up opposition and he's a fairly decent finisher. If you create plenty of chances this coming season then he should get you 10+ easily.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on July 04, 2022, 10:39:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Marquis or Fej?

Marquis 100%, 100% of the time.

Fejs a slightly better finisher. Marquis is better in the air and pressing. Depends what you're after.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 04, 2022, 11:18:27 pm by MachoMadness »
Hi all,

Up the Rovers.

You're seeing "mixed" opinions because some of our fans live in a bizarre pocket dimension where a striker who scores loads of goals, runs his blood to water every week and hardly ever gets injured isn't very good.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on July 04, 2022, 11:35:35 pm by acacia94 »
Blimey Gashead. Take everybody's views on here but if you've got John Marquis you'll get entertainment. He's the player that every opposition fans would say 'I cant stand him but I wish we had him on our side'. He had a moment with us and for a London lad who'd kicked around a bit, it shouldn't have really worked but he was fantastic. He'll irritate the hell out of every defence, score you goals out of what looks like nothing, he's funny, gifted and you'll love the experience.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on July 05, 2022, 04:11:02 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Theo Robinson is available, just saying #Don’t shoot the messenger#goal machine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012