Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:07:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 13571 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #60 on June 30, 2022, 08:05:48 am by ncRover »
I saw his training video with his entourage in Dubai. Not the kind of thing I’d expect someone to do before signing for a league 2 club.

Not happening, move on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on June 30, 2022, 08:11:53 am by steve@dcfd »
There are a lot of people who live in and around Doncaster who would probably want to move. Therefore to get him back it would have to be the right offer financially and I can’t see us being in that position.
Like last year we have extended a players contract signed three players pretty quick. Unlike last year we’ve had two players leave quickly who didn’t want to be here maybe l like John. So like last year we are waiting for the next move by players or the club to bring in what is required.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on June 30, 2022, 09:54:31 am by DearneValleyRover »
When Marquis left he made it quite clear about how he felt about Doncaster as a whole. I doubt he would be interested in returning.

Can you point us in the direction of that? Or is it just hearsay? I never saw any comment remotely to that effect.

Not hearsay but also not in the public domain

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 30, 2022, 12:55:40 pm by Jonathan »
When Marquis left he made it quite clear about how he felt about Doncaster as a whole. I doubt he would be interested in returning.

Can you point us in the direction of that? Or is it just hearsay? I never saw any comment remotely to that effect.

A similar example of “not hearsay but no evidence publicly” was the insinuation that Jordan Houghton and his fiancée (now wife) disrespected the town and couldn’t wait to get away. The same couple that sat with the fans at away games. The same couple that went and bought a car load of toys and presents at Christmas and delivered them in person to children at the local hospice. The same Jordan Houghton that gave his best every time he wore the shirt and championed the club publicly. Yeah he ultimately opted to go and play elsewhere, but seriously if that’s disrespecting the town then let’s have more of it.

I view Marquis the same. He was brilliant for this club and, whether motivated by the desire to move south or simply to better himself when his stock was at its highest, he was well within his right to move on. The fact that you may have heard something that he may or may not have done or said separately is irrelevant really.

If we could bring him back then we should explore it on the basis that he could still make a huge contribution.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on June 30, 2022, 01:20:19 pm by DearneValleyRover »

A similar example of “not hearsay but no evidence publicly” was the insinuation that Jordan Houghton and his fiancée (now wife) disrespected the town and couldn’t wait to get away. The same couple that sat with the fans at away games. The same couple that went and bought a car load of toys and presents at Christmas and delivered them in person to children at the local hospice. The same Jordan Houghton that gave his best every time he wore the shirt and championed the club publicly. Yeah he ultimately opted to go and play elsewhere, but seriously if that’s disrespecting the town then let’s have more of it.

I view Marquis the same. He was brilliant for this club and, whether motivated by the desire to move south or simply to better himself when his stock was at its highest, he was well within his right to move on. The fact that you may have heard something that he may or may not have done or said separately is irrelevant really.

If we could bring him back then we should explore it on the basis that he could still make a huge contribution.

I'm not in the habit of making things up. I certainly haven't mentioned Jordan Houghton nor ever made any of those comments. In respect to Marquis I have zero axe to grind, I was only pointing out that I'm aware of how he left. It's no less relevant than any other post or opinion on here.   

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 30, 2022, 01:47:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
Aiden  OBrien who had a short term contract at Portsmouth after John left as just signed for Shrewsbury as a free agent.
I would like have John back but whatever background issue there was at the time I don’t believe we could afford his contract if he wanted to drop to league 2

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 30, 2022, 01:50:34 pm by The Dav »
For sure if he was to come back it would be seen as a statement of intent by the club, and I'm sure would put bums on seats ! Class act and we shouldn't forget that.   

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 30, 2022, 02:34:03 pm by Canadian Rover »
Paul Green left us for a club that was ultimately in the same division.

He gave his all and is and always be a legend at the club.

And he went for nothing.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on June 30, 2022, 03:11:40 pm by Metalmicky »
For sure if he was to come back it would be seen as a statement of intent by the club, and I'm sure would put bums on seats ! Class act and we shouldn't forget that.   

That's a fair point....... and the amount of extra season tickets/shirts that a JM signing would sell, would contribute quite significantly to his overall cost..

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 30, 2022, 03:16:28 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
Some truly baffling opinions on this thread. Marquis was lazy, constantly missed sitters and only scored meaningless goals when we were already winning?!? Nonsense.

We're obsessed with former players, they're never as good second time around and we need to move on? Rowe was the only reason we didn't go down with a record low points total last season, he was consistently our best player. We have a reputation throughout the leagues as a good club, so if we can use that to get former players who would improve us to come back, why not try?

The fact he chose to do Copps podcast surely shows he thinks highly of the club and the man. So what's the harm in asking?

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on June 30, 2022, 03:41:36 pm by ditch_drfc »
Why spend money on a 30 year year old who scored 9 goals last year? He was the 35th highest scorer in the league... 35th. Why not spend that money trying to improve and find someone who might actually have longevity.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 30, 2022, 03:58:06 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He's a free agent so it's not like we'll pay a transfer fee. And at 30 he's in his prime and still got plenty of years left at a decent level. Even a 3 year contract wouldn't be too long at that age plus his injury record is very good. Even while playing at DRFC which is rare

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on June 30, 2022, 04:01:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
Why spend money on a 30 year year old who scored 9 goals last year? He was the 35th highest scorer in the league... 35th. Why not spend that money trying to improve and find someone who might actually have longevity.

We’ve done that with Miller and Griffiths.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on June 30, 2022, 04:27:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
He's a free agent so it's not like we'll pay a transfer fee. And at 30 he's in his prime and still got plenty of years left at a decent level. Even a 3 year contract wouldn't be too long at that age plus his injury record is very good. Even while playing at DRFC which is rare

Care to give us an idea of how much of an upfront fee to Marquis we'd be expected to shell out instead of a transfer fee?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 30, 2022, 04:44:30 pm by drfchound »
Just out of interest, have we had the whole of the fee yet from Portsmouth when they signed him from us?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on June 30, 2022, 05:28:24 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Care to give us an idea of how much of an upfront fee to Marquis we'd be expected to shell out instead of a transfer fee?

Eh obviously i don't know that. Does anyone on here or is it just a pointless question? 

If Marquis and his agent want a signing on fee that's their prerogative same as any player. If they want that and it's too for us much then move on. What i'm saying is he is a free agent so we 100% won't have to pay a transfer fee.

Also it's not like you pay that instead of a transfer fee just because he's out of contract. If the player is contracted you have to pay a transfer fee plus all those extras.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 30, 2022, 05:55:07 pm by ditch_drfc »
But he's still got a weekly wage which will no doubt be massive. Again, there is a reason he's a free agent.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on June 30, 2022, 06:08:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Eh obviously i don't know that. Does anyone on here or is it just a pointless question? 

If Marquis and his agent want a signing on fee that's their prerogative same as any player. If they want that and it's too for us much then move on. What i'm saying is he is a free agent so we 100% won't have to pay a transfer fee.

Also it's not like you pay that instead of a transfer fee just because he's out of contract. If the player is contracted you have to pay a transfer fee plus all those extras.

Free agents are not free. The upfront fees take advantage of that and are bigger than as part of a transfer free.

And no, it's not pointless asking because the club has to pay it as part of signing him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 30, 2022, 06:44:58 pm by drfchound »

Free agents are not free. The upfront fees take advantage of that and are bigger than as part of a transfer free.

And no, it's not pointless asking because the club has to pay it as part of signing him.

Not pointless asking of course, but it is pointless asking Sedwards to provide the details of any such amounts when very obviously he won’t know.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on June 30, 2022, 07:40:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Then to suggest that just because he's a free agent it'd be somehow more of a bargain when you have no idea that's the case or not isn't really a good idea.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 30, 2022, 07:46:07 pm by Jonathan »
Then to suggest that just because he's a free agent it'd be somehow more of a bargain when you have no idea that's the case or not isn't really a good idea.

I’m a bit confused by the point you’re trying to make / score. Why do you think most lower league clubs take advantage of the free agent market nowadays? If you were at the wheel would we be waiting until our targets were tied into contracts at other clubs, so we could pay a transfer fee and save some money?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on June 30, 2022, 07:49:10 pm by drfchound »

It doesn’t change the point of your question to Sedwards though.
Did you really expect him to share the details of how much JM would want upfront.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on June 30, 2022, 07:59:36 pm by Ronnie Dovers »

If he's even a target, surely we'd have a certain signing on fee and wage we'd be willing to offer him. If it's enough then great, if, more likely, it isn't then we'd move on. And based on us and the vast majority of lower league clubs relying mostly on free transfers, it seems safe to assume they remain cheaper than paying out transfer fees. So I don't think anyone has suggested anything ridiculous, which you seem to be implying.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 30, 2022, 08:56:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Right. Ok. Well it should be real obvious that it'll be more of a bargain signing Marquis as a free agent compared to when he was at Portsmouth under contract. You think Pompey offered us over a million to get him cheap before his contract expired?

It is vastly cheaper to sign out of contract players. It's not like we're trying to sign Pogba any fees would be very minimal compared to transfer fees. If you don't get that fair enough but it doesn't make it not true.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on June 30, 2022, 09:04:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
But he's still got a weekly wage which will no doubt be massive. Again, there is a reason he's a free agent.

This is the stumbling block. If he wants similar to what he was on at Pompey, and gets offers around that, then we should look elsewhere thats for sure. But as the window drags on maybe his asking price comes down.... or clubs get desperate and pay higher wages

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 30, 2022, 09:08:55 pm by Canadian Rover »
Marquis would be an immense signing for us at this level again.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 30, 2022, 09:15:19 pm by mushRTID »
A few murmurings on twitter Wimbledon want him. Yes I know it’s twitter and doesn’t mean much.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on June 30, 2022, 09:44:49 pm by drfchound »
Some people swear by what is written on Twitter mate.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on June 30, 2022, 11:52:33 pm by rich1471 »
With Dodoo and Hiwula gone we do need another striker ,but you need to play to John's strength ,but he is available so would the club try to resign him or do we have some lined up already to come in 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 01, 2022, 12:00:21 am by Chris Black come back »
That’s a good point. He could be a player able to adapt, but in his last spell with us he was pretty much always just the one up. Not sure we are always going to play that way in future. McSheffrey seems to want three players across the front line.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012