Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 12:51:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Huddersfield game  (Read 12987 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Huddersfield game
« Reply #120 on July 16, 2022, 05:23:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
FT 1-0 Rovers

Best performance yet against top opposition. Rovers were organised throughout and stood firm against Huddersfield’s pressure to limit them to few clear-cut chances.

Good work from Miller to force a foul for the penalty and the first 90-minute run-out of pre-season for six players (including Trialist A).

This feels like progress. Reaction to come.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on July 16, 2022, 05:25:13 pm by jmt23 »
Anybody getting excited now? 
It is just a friendly, but from reading from several sources, we had shape, control, energy and skill.

This will be a bumpy ride, but I think we may be OK.  :rtid:

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on July 16, 2022, 05:26:01 pm by colincramb »
Well done lads, building nicely. Just need the injured lads to kick on now

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on July 16, 2022, 05:26:39 pm by Bessie Red »
Ayo Tanimowo ex Brighton is the shout on the right back.
Hes playing for Livingstone today so not him!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 16, 2022, 05:30:10 pm by DonnyOsmond »

That's Ayo Obileye, isn't it?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on July 16, 2022, 05:31:44 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
in the alternative world

"90' - Final whistle, Doncaster Rovers 1 Huddersfield Town 0

So that was that, Town on top but losing by a single goal shortly after a raft of substitutions. Thanks for joining us, we'll have a review and other things for you soon, a good run out for Town's match day squad but they couldn't get the goal they clearly deserved. "

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 16, 2022, 05:35:43 pm by scawsby steve »
Well done lads, building nicely. Just need the injured lads to kick on now

It sounds like some of the potential new signings, along with the new players already signed, might be better than our injured players.

Don't forget how badly those injured players performed last season.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on July 16, 2022, 05:36:12 pm by philsky »
in the alternative world

"90' - Final whistle, Doncaster Rovers 1 Huddersfield Town 0

So that was that, Town on top but losing by a single goal shortly after a raft of substitutions. Thanks for joining us, we'll have a review and other things for you soon, a good run out for Town's match day squad but they couldn't get the goal they clearly deserved. "

Against little Donny

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on July 16, 2022, 05:39:09 pm by jmt23 »
Had to laugh at the very bias examiner reports, we got zero credit or mentions of our chances. It was as if we were lucky to be on the pitch with them :laugh:
Somewhere between the DFP and the Examiner is going to be the truth, and that would state we had a very good examination of our defending and countering against a team that is  2 levels above, but the moment they dropped the first teamers in the second half, we started to create more regular chances, and took one.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on July 16, 2022, 06:03:54 pm by Jonathan »
Thoughts for the benefit of those that weren’t there:

It’s a good result, but no getting carried away it was very much a friendly and they’re always quite sedate. A good work out but we can’t read too much into it in my opinion.

The trialist right back who I think is the one from Brighton looked decent. Worth looking at.

Likewise Maxwell who was the trialist left back. Positioning was decent, blocked some crosses and dealt with balls into / across the box well. Looked confident on the ball. One or two stray passes second half shouldn’t take away from an encouraging display. But again we have to remember it was just a friendly.

Ollie Younger and RoShaun Williams both did well.

Biggins was busy and is bigger than I thought. He made some good runs beyond the forward line. He should be useful.

Molyneux looks like he could be a good signing. Positive on the ball and wants to make things happen. He also pressed well.

Miller worked very hard. His pace and intensity adds something that was missing from our forward line and I think he’ll be popular.

Tomlin clearly has something. The description of him as a luxury player feels right - he looks exactly that but the evident technical ability makes him worth considering. Feels like it would be a risk signing, but I can see the case in favour of it.

The trialist that came on to play down the left (Kyle Hurst I think) looked quick and lively. Very much out to impress and his pace and running gave us an additional dimension. Again it’s hard to pass too much judgement in a friendly.

Instinctively I do feel we still miss a Josh Martin type that can beat a player and make things happen.

All in all it feels like there were plenty of positives to take, but we have to guard against drawing too many conclusions based on that. There’ll be tougher challenges once the season gets underway. 

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on July 16, 2022, 06:06:40 pm by roversdude »
We held our own against a team that was almost in the prem

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on July 16, 2022, 06:25:37 pm by steve@dcfd »
Agree with Jonathan disciplined performance more pluses than negatives it can be built on without getting carried away. Now sign the players we must. Where is Olowu will we sign a right back left back centre half and a wide left player and Tomlin I don’t believe we will but we still need players

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on July 16, 2022, 06:25:49 pm by Alan Southstand »
That was promising, I have to say. We hardly had the ball first half and they bossed the midfield for large parts, but we stayed disciplined and went in 0-0 at ht.

Miller was a constant menace and he did really well to win the penalty. There’s nobody to compete with him and that shirt is his. He’s very similar to JM, without his physicality. That’s as good a compliment I can give him.

Molyneux was ok, but needs a bit more fitness. The big surprise, for me, was Biggins, who I thought had a great game in midfield.

Note of caution: If it wasn’t for the triallists, we wouldn’t have been able to field a side. Work to do on signings.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on July 16, 2022, 06:27:49 pm by ravenrover »
Not only held our own but were fairly comfortable. Defence as a unit played well, midfield was competitive without creating a deal although we had 2 or 3 really good passages of play, up front as said Miller worked hard but was isolated. A very good piece of linkup from Molyneux and Miller 1st half created a good opening but shot was blocked ,I think,. Tomlin was class but struggled to get into the game 1st half but was more involved 2nd. The lad who came on on the left looked exciting. Overall a good workout

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on July 16, 2022, 06:29:55 pm by glosterred »
I said last year after the preseason game against Newcastle, that if we play like that we’ll be okay. Unfortunately we didnt. So best not say owt this time around

COYR

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on July 16, 2022, 06:31:38 pm by ravenrover »
That's fine but for goodness sake, it's the end of the world to some of them standing arguing with the stewards

Let's face it, if the club told you that you had to sit on a bag of manure you would be ok with it.
And where do you get that impression from?
Come on lets hear it back your insult up fella with some detail

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on July 16, 2022, 06:41:42 pm by roversdude »
Not getting overly excited but that was an excellent team performance
Really hope that they had a pen ready for Maxwell, tbh I’d give Tomlin a contract too, he’s stuck around and is putting the hard yards in.
If you looked to the area behind the manager there is still quality to come back into the team/squad once fit

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on July 16, 2022, 07:06:12 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Hopefully the good performance makes a few decisions on the trialists as Alan says we won’t uodjt have had much of a side without them.

Imo the left back and Tomlin should be offered terms for a start

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on July 16, 2022, 07:40:55 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
All good to hear and thanks for the summaries.

The permanent signings so far all seem to have been an improvement and sounds like there's bags of potential.

A few loose ends to tie up but surely these lads are enjoying the opportunity and can see the potential in DRFC too.

Let's hope for more good news next week.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on July 16, 2022, 07:56:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Good solid display by our lads today against quality opposition 2 levels above us.

I am not getting carried away also, as you can’t read too much into results in pre season friendly games no matter who the opposition are.

Now I don’t want people to think I simply don’t like Williams and have some sort of agenda with regards to him. But I have to mention once again his glaring weakness as a centre back. He missed making contact with 3 straightforward headers which he should have dealt with.
He gets under the ball from crosses and corners continually match after match.
I have not seen many worse centre backs at Rovers with regard to his arial ability on crosses & corners.
This is a problem that needs sorting or we are going to get punished. It won’t hurt as as much in League 2 as it did in league 1 fortunately as the quality of strikers in this league will not be as good.
Having said that I thought he was excellent on the deck making important blocks and clearances.
We desperately need a fully fit Anderson or an equivalent experienced centre back if we are going to have a frugal defence this season.
I just think that Williams, Younger and Olowu which ever 2 or if all 3 play together lack the experience required.
I hope I am wrong but suspect I might be right.
What does GM think though. Is he waiting for Anderson to get 100% fit and how long will that be or is he on the look out for an experienced centre back?

That’s the million dollar question imo.

The rest of the team is taking shape nicely. Still work in progress but after 2 more pre season games most of them should be up to speed.

If the whole squad was 100% fit there would not be too many if any better ones in this league.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:03:09 pm by Campsall rover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on July 16, 2022, 07:59:49 pm by roversdude »
I was only saying today how much Williams has improved CR

Josh Horsman

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 16, 2022, 08:03:02 pm by Josh Horsman »
100% is Williams doesn’t seem commanding enough in air, given you can expect a fair few teams to be playing long ball it would be a worry if he’s first choice for me.
Thought the trialists were some of the best players on the pitch today, did we get confirmation who they were?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on July 16, 2022, 08:03:48 pm by ravenrover »
Harsh on Williams there Camps, can't think of the 3 situations you mentioned. My thought was that Williams and Younger played pretty well today as a pair

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on July 16, 2022, 08:05:06 pm by Campsall rover »
I was only saying today how much Williams has improved CR
He has on the deck. But watch him from corners and crosses.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on July 16, 2022, 08:16:26 pm by ravenrover »

Thats the lad we'll just call him Steve looking at Livingstone lineup didn't see his name there so my source could be right

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 16, 2022, 08:17:34 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Tbf none of Williams, Olowu or Younger are good in the air. I don't think this new guy is that great (in the air) either, surprised were after him.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:24:16 pm by DonnyOsmond »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on July 16, 2022, 08:18:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Thats the lad we'll just call him Steve looking at Livingstone lineup didn't see his name there so my source could be right

Ayo Tanimowo is the one on trial apparently.

Ayo Obileye is a completely different player who plays for Livingston.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on July 16, 2022, 08:22:57 pm by Jonathan »
Tbf none of Williams, Olowu or Younger are good in the air. I don't think this new guy is that great either, surprised were after him.

How do we know that about the new lad?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on July 16, 2022, 08:23:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Tbf none of Williams, Olowu or Younger are good in the air. I don't think this new guy is that great either, surprised were after him.

How do we know that about the new lad?

Data.

Edit: I did mean aerially, not his complete game. Unless we're playing 3 at the back we just need one in on loan and he needs to be good in the air whilst Anderson's out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:34:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on July 16, 2022, 08:24:47 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I remember the high expectations after the Newcastle game last pre season....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012