Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 08:42:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Huddersfield game  (Read 13059 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Huddersfield game
« Reply #150 on July 16, 2022, 08:26:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Harsh on Williams there Camps, can't think of the 3 situations you mentioned. My thought was that Williams and Younger played pretty well today as a pair
Not harsh imo ravenrover. I was sat in the south Stand for 1st time ever today and watched him very closely.
He does not seem to be able to judge the flight or the speed of the ball when it comes in from wide areas particularly corners.
There were 3 balls in he 1st half he got under and missed making contact with the ball.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on July 16, 2022, 09:51:59 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
All our fit centre backs are of a similar level and type. I'm no fan of Williams and would prefer we play Olowu/Younger (fingers crossed we get someone else to replace Anderson).

A 3 at the back makes sense if we don't get a left back (with Rowe wing back) and it in theory would cover the weakness of our defenders. But we haven't played that at all in preseason and it needs work to get it right. So that probably won't happen. Hope this lad from Wigan or whoever we get is a big improvement on Williams

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on July 16, 2022, 10:02:36 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
This kid from Wigan I think his development has slowed because of lack opportunities, we will give him that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on July 16, 2022, 10:09:14 pm by Campsall rover »
This kid from Wigan I think his development has slowed because of lack opportunities, we will give him that.
He has played 23 games for Wigan in the 1st team.

I

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on July 16, 2022, 10:11:24 pm by Campsall rover »
All our fit centre backs are of a similar level and type. I'm no fan of Williams and would prefer we play Olowu/Younger (fingers crossed we get someone else to replace Anderson).

A 3 at the back makes sense if we don't get a left back (with Rowe wing back) and it in theory would cover the weakness of our defenders. But we haven't played that at all in preseason and it needs work to get it right. So that probably won't happen. Hope this lad from Wigan or whoever we get is a big improvement on Williams
Hope we sign Maxwell for the left back position. 1st time I have seen him play as didn’t go to Spennymoor.
Was impressed, he looks like a proper full back.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on July 16, 2022, 10:19:15 pm by roversdude »
Agree CR, I’m worried that we might end up showcasing him for someone else to nip in and sign him. Really hope we’ve offered him something and it’s acceptable, reading his back story he thrives on proving himself. Think there would need to be some agreement with Rangers as they offered him a contract. Need to get it sorted so that any glitches with international clearance can be overcome - kick off 2 weeks today

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on July 16, 2022, 10:30:26 pm by Jonathan »
Really we need to be making decisions on the trialists now to be fair to them as well as to shape our own team.

Maxwell looks like he would be a competent addition at left back. Expect it would be a nominal fee to Rangers as compensation, and if we can’t agree it would go to tribunal.

I get the sense we’ll offer Tomlin a contract and I can see why. A risk but a very gifted footballer and he seems to be enjoying it here.

The right back and the left winger that played today both looked interesting. I don’t think that Degruchy (?) will stay, though.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on July 16, 2022, 10:35:35 pm by Dagenham Rover »
There was quite a few pissed off Terriers supporters at Donny services about half 5 ish :)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on July 16, 2022, 10:39:29 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Agree we need to sort it soon don’t want to go into the last pre season game with multiple trialists. With Adams signing if we got Tomlin and Maxwell I’d be pretty happy with our business.

The right back on trial would be a bonus too because I’m not convinced on Younger playing there and GM doesn’t seem to rate Seaman. Knoyle should be decent at this level but with our record on returning players from injury I wouldn’t be counting on him to play a full season

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on July 16, 2022, 10:42:25 pm by roversdude »
Jonathan from what I read it may just be agreeing a sell on clause, they’ve apparently promised not to put barriers up that would jeopardise him getting a club.
Agree though it’s morally right now to make a decision one way or another. The number 16 is a puzzle he seems to be contracted to Birmingham - can players going on a potential loan play for another club (get that it’s only a friendly just wondered where liability would lie if he got injured)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on July 16, 2022, 10:48:47 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Jonathan from what I read it may just be agreeing a sell on clause, they’ve apparently promised not to put barriers up that would jeopardise him getting a club.
Agree though it’s morally right now to make a decision one way or another. The number 16 is a puzzle he seems to be contracted to Birmingham - can players going on a potential loan play for another club (get that it’s only a friendly just wondered where liability would lie if he got injured)

Yeah, clubs can trial a player with a view to loaning them.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on July 17, 2022, 03:44:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Maxwell, Tomlin, the right back from today, all need signing on the right deal for the club.
Don’t need to dither, get round the table and get them done. The winger from Birmingham is another good player, he’s worth loaning maybe with a view to signing him in the future.
The centre back we’ve been after needs games. We can give him that, his club aren’t going to play him. He has potential.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on July 17, 2022, 06:25:13 am by Padge_DRFC »
Sign Josh Martin on top and win the league.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on July 17, 2022, 07:23:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Seeing GM relaxed and smiling looks to me like a man who knows he's onto something good and maybe knows he's being able to sign who he wants.

We always tend to think there'll be a spanner in the works and we'll miss out but looking and listening to the players, it feels like there's positive vibes about the place. Long may this continue.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on July 17, 2022, 08:18:43 am by ncRover »
A new back up right back could be a sensible move as it would allow Seaman to provide back up higher up the pitch in the absence of Taylor.

Hopefully Maxwell is confirmed soon.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on July 17, 2022, 08:29:07 am by Alan Southstand »
I thought Williams was the better of the 2 cb’s yesterday and I still maintain it’s an experienced lad we need back there, however, that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Both left back and right back did great and stopped crosses coming in, in fact I swear young Maxwell was itching for their 7 to take him on down the outside, so he could show him he was in charge. Tremendous for one only 20years old and a massive improvement on Horton!

Add Tomlin to the list, along with the lad from Birmingham, and that makes, potentially, 5 new lads to sign (if there’s any truth in the Wigan lad). Maybe a tall order for us?

Get them all and it gives us a fighting chance this next season.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:35:13 am by Alan Southstand »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on July 17, 2022, 08:35:08 am by roversdude »
As a CB we need someone brave who will attack the ball ,Younger does this but lacks a little height. The best fit for this is Bobby Faulkner but it may be a tad too soon for him. What we would all love is a pre Balcombe fully fit Anderson

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on July 17, 2022, 09:10:11 am by Campsall rover »
Didn’t realise Maxwell was only 20 yrs old. He looks older and plays with a maturity beyond his years.
Just looked on Wiki and he played on loan at Queen of the South from Rangers in 20/21 and Ayr United in 21/22
So he has some considerable 1st team experience in the Scottish Championship.
It also says he has left Rangers so not under contract any more it would seem.
Assuming Wiki is correct.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on July 17, 2022, 09:25:31 am by RugbyRover »
As a CB we need someone brave who will attack the ball ,Younger does this but lacks a little height. The best fit for this is Bobby Faulkner but it may be a tad too soon for him. What we would all love is a pre Balcombe fully fit Anderson

Can't wait to see Faulkner play. I hope the manager doesn't take his age into consideration, if you're good enough you're old enough etc.
You can't coach the desire to be first to the ball. It's essential for a centre back. None of the others seem to have it. The goalkeeper doesn't have it. They all seem happy to leave it to someone else. Hence the mayhem when the crosses come in.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on July 17, 2022, 09:27:36 am by Alan Southstand »
Not quite right, Campsall. Rangers will be due ‘training compensation’ if we sign him, but have already gone on record to say they’ll make it easy for him to get another club.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on July 17, 2022, 09:31:40 am by Campsall rover »
I thought Williams was the better of the 2 cb’s yesterday and I still maintain it’s an experienced lad we need back there, however, that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Both left back and right back did great and stopped crosses coming in, in fact I swear young Maxwell was itching for their 7 to take him on down the outside, so he could show him he was in charge. Tremendous for one only 20years old and a massive improvement on Horton!

Add Tomlin to the list, along with the lad from Birmingham, and that makes, potentially, 5 new lads to sign (if there’s any truth in the Wigan lad). Maybe a tall order for us?

Agree Alan all would be good additions.
The right back that played yesterday ( don’t know his name ) was excellent on the deck but again is going to be very vulnerable to high crosses coming in to the far post.
Tomlin has huge ability. Not sure he is quite up to speed fitness wise yet ( match fit that is not injured )
But he can open up defences that there will be little doubt about in League 2  So as has been said maybe a bit of a risk but one I think that could be worth taking. Ability is permanent. If he has the desire and right attitude then a no brainier. But we do need the right characters and ability should never be the only factor.

I am still concerned with the current centre backs. We look as though are still going to be very vulnerable to corners in particular.  We need someone who is dominant in the air that will attack the ball.
With a pre Balcolmbe Anderson we would be in a much healthier situation defensively.
Is a 21yr old Adam Long the answer? If it’s true we are after him.

Maxwell on what I saw yesterday is a no brainier for that left back position.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on July 17, 2022, 09:42:18 am by Campsall rover »

Can't wait to see Faulkner play. I hope the manager doesn't take his age into consideration, if you're good enough you're old enough etc.
You can't coach the desire to be first to the ball. It's essential for a centre back. None of the others seem to have it. The goalkeeper doesn't have it. They all seem happy to leave it to someone else. Hence the mayhem when the crosses come in.
I agree if he is good enough he is old enough adage RR
The problem is there is relatively little experience in that defence. They are all very young. No natural leaders.
Faulkner alongside an experienced older centre back i would have little problem with.  That would help his development massively.
But it’s a massive risk playing him with any of the others we currently have available imo. Will it set him back if we leak goals.
Centre back position is so vital. A strong Spine to the team is essential.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on July 17, 2022, 10:41:05 am by Jonathan »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfswZjmkxU

Good interview from McSheffrey who does sound re-energised again ahead of this season. Interesting comment about the pressing - I noticed that very early that Biggins had gone all out pressing their back line and left a gaping hole that they played straight through. Shows good tactical awareness that the management team spotted and nipped that in the bud straight away and we did look a lot more structured after. Biggins’ effort was more measured and I thought he had a really good game.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on July 17, 2022, 10:45:04 am by Colin C No.3 »

The right back that played yesterday ( don’t know his name ) was excellent on the deck but again is going to be very vulnerable to high crosses coming in to the far post.
Tomlin has huge ability. Not sure he is quite up to speed fitness wise yet ( match fit that is not injured )
But he can open up defences that there will be little doubt about in League 2  So as has been said maybe a bit of a risk but one I think that could be worth taking. Ability is permanent. If he has the desire and right attitude then a no brainier. But we do need the right characters and ability should never be the only factor.

I am still concerned with the current centre backs. We look as though are still going to be very vulnerable to corners in particular.  We need someone who is dominant in the air that will attack the ball.
With a pre Balcolmbe Anderson we would be in a much healthier situation defensively.

How would you rate Tomlin against Bostock?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on July 17, 2022, 10:53:09 am by Jonathan »

Totally different player.

Bostock was much better out of possession than he was given credit for. That’s not Tomlin’s game, nor his position on the pitch.

Tomlin can certainly make things happen and is likely to be much more of a direct threat in the final third.

I suppose what he does replace is the ability to pick a pass that breaks the defensive line, but again from a different area of the pitch. Bostock sat very deep and dictated play. We need to get Tomlin on the ball in the final third.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on July 17, 2022, 10:53:31 am by DonnyOsmond »
Bostock was a progressive hook between the defence and creative players.
Tomlin is a creative hook between the midfield and forward line.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #176 on July 17, 2022, 10:58:07 am by ravenrover »
Sign Josh Martin on top and win the league.
Out of the 2, Martin or the lad who came on yesterday on the left I would prefer the latter Ithought he was more direct and forcefull with his running at the full back and not looking to always come inside as Martin does. Having said that if we could get either it would make that left side more interesting

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on July 17, 2022, 12:50:07 pm by Campsall rover »

Can’t compare the two. They are completely different players.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on July 17, 2022, 01:43:33 pm by drfchound »

I have to say that selby has been telling me about Faulkner for a couple of years now and has high hopes for him as a potential PL player.
He tells me that BF is a natural leader and is the proper CB that we have been crying out for.
I also haven’t seen him play but from what I have been told about the lad I would think we have a very good player on the books.
selby knows when he sees a good young player.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on July 17, 2022, 01:52:36 pm by Campsall rover »

I have to say that selby has been telling me about Faulkner for a couple of years now and has high hopes for him as a potential PL player.
He tells me that BF is a natural leader and is the proper CB that we have been crying out for.
I also haven’t seen him play but from what I have been told about the lad I would think we have a very good player on the books.
selby knows when he sees a good young player.
I have only seen him play I think 4/5 times now and he looks a hell of a prospect. He isn’t 18 until next month.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012