Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 10:56:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Have the board learned their lesson  (Read 2473 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Have the board learned their lesson
« on July 15, 2022, 03:21:39 am by Sammy Chung was King »
From last season’s debacle? We seem to be following similar lines to last season where all of a sudden the funding drys up.
I’m not totally criticising as I’m happy so far with those brought in. The backroom staff has been reorganised. Hopefully the medical side of the staff has improved. What hasn’t improved is to give the manager a fair chance of succeeding.
You can’t keep getting boys in to do a man’s job!.

We are back to the youth loans again. I love seeing good up and coming players. I think the balance of the squad is really getting there. But I don’t see the ambition in this board to say-
 “Right we are going for it this season, let’s give Gary X amount to go out and sign that established centre back he wanted, or that experienced left back that pushes the budget to the hilt but he’s needed.
I see a make do and mend attitude, let’s try and muddle through . . Gary can can have that fourth choice central defender eventually, when his youth team releases him.

I understand they want to run it along tight lines, I also understand the reasoning of making sure we have a club. I’m quite aware that Terry is taking all this on his shoulders and believe me I’m grateful he has carried on.
I’m not asking for five hundred grand signings. It would just be good after all the forward thinking that has gone on recently trying to improve things, that we get a couple of signings in that create a buzz around the place.
Players that will draw crowds in.

We need a boost at the minute to get back people we’ve lost on a regular basis. We need to do what’s necessary to start packing that ground out. Ticket deals where we can. Live music entertainment outside or inside the ground before or after matches. Every game needs to be made an occasion. Let’s get some razzmatazz around the place.

I would rather see the stadium packed out with kids getting in for a quid than an empty seat. Better to gain a future supporter ,who will buy things while there than have him or her sat at home.
Encourage family tickets , the more the better. Get the crowd involved . Buy tickets to compete for cash prizes before the game or at half time for kids and parents.

Maximise earning potential.
Rather than let Klarna and the like offer shirts etc on so much a month, the club should arrange a direct debit system of its own. You will then get more shirts and other things bought.
We have a premier league quality fans forum, we don’t have a premier league quality club shop. Produce items that the supporters must have.
 Make the club as near to premier league quality in service and things you sell as can be afforded.
Don’t close your eyes to a food company letting your supporters down, take it personally as though they were letting down your own family.

Keep trying to improve as we have been doing with staff but don’t forget the club’s bread and butter is what happens on the pitch.
I would like the board to give the manager the funds to sign a couple of players that will excite our crowd enough to improve the gates. You have to speculate to accumulate. No growth comes from not taking a chance or two.

One manager has failed due to ineptitude and not enough board backing, please don’t let this happen again!
If we fail this season there is a black swinging door with a ladder leading to god knows where.
Make sure the manager has a chance, to take us well away from that door, back to a more comfortable, league one

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Have the board learned their lesson
« Reply #1 on July 15, 2022, 07:32:29 am by roversdude »
Sammy can’t argue with your thought process but Miller and Molyneux will definitely excite fans, Andrews looks another great signing albeit on loan.
We really need the left back spot sorting asap.
The 10% off in the club shop with a season ticket is something I have heard a few people complain about, no idea if that was reflected in lost sales or if people moan but still get what they would have anyway.
The half time draw was something the group I go with always used indulge in - it came back sort of but we never saw anyone selling tickets and the prize was a bit naff
Even Armthorpe, Nuneaton and Spennymoor have run half time draws

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 15, 2022, 08:41:19 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Precisely. Who's asked that question when the new players signed.

Who asked that question when Hiwula and Dodoo left instead of sticking around not being able to get rid of them.

The budget is the budget whether we like it or not but it's football decisions by football men who determine how that budget is spent and on whom.

What kind of responsible manager and Head of Football spend all the budget within a few weeks and then keep going back to the board "Please sir, I want some more" ?

So Sammy, what is the budget and how much of it have they spent so far?

Until we know the answer to those questions, we are in no position to understand or to judge.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 15, 2022, 09:00:20 am by Jonathan »
Lots of assumptions in the opening post about things that aren’t happening or won’t happen. It’s still only mid July and lots of clubs are only part way through their business. You’ve got to trust that we’re one of them, and I do.

You look at the restructuring going on on the football side and it would be very difficult to argue that the owners aren’t learning lessons. But that’s a process, it doesn’t happen overnight and results won’t be instant.

As I’ve said in another thread, it’s very easy for fans to just demand we spend more money. There’s got to be an effort to strike the right balance. However there are some tough decisions on that front. Recurring injuries mean it’ll now be more expensive to build a competitive team than we might have previously hoped it would be. Do we flex the budget, get on the front foot and try to get off to the positive start that the whole club desperately needs? Or do we wait? It’s not as easy an answer as we probably all wish it was.

I think we’d all like to see some more quality coming in very soon.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 15, 2022, 09:06:59 am by steve@dcfd »
You right DBR we don’t know what the playing budget is. We were told last September by GB that it would be more than last season. We were told by DB we are going to bounce back decisively.
You are right that how to spend the playing budget is down to football men. The four signings 3 permanent and a loan looked to be good signings only time will tell. Dodoo and Hiwula didn’t want to be here so left one got a club the other by mutual consent hence their wages off the bill or at least some of them. Extending contracts and giving player another contract would cost again decisions made by football men.
Now we come to the defence we took up options on the two goal keepers because he was the best way of using the budget. We took up the option on Anderson contract that decision could have been a risk time will tell. Because part of the budget may have to used in sourcing another CH.
The defence that conceded 80+ goals is still there we hope that at a level lower they will be better. But we have not improved them. We have not as yet found a left back. In GMC words experienced players cost money in wages we can’t do that. So we wait to see what the football men sort out. We need at least 18 contracted players fit for the first game against Bradford City whether permanent or loans. If we have to put U18 on the bench again then in my opinion the football men and Chairman have not got the resources to put the situation right. GMC said we needed 25 squad he said it would be quality not quantity we bring in. So far it’s ok it’s what happens next.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:17:00 am by steve@dcfd »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 15, 2022, 09:30:24 am by roversdude »
GMc is turning out to be quite shrewd I think. He’s not going to stand there waving a wedge of money saying come on guys we’ve got loads we’ll pay you what you want and a bit more.
The recruitment has so far all been done under the radar and all appear to offer an upgrade on last season

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 15, 2022, 09:38:40 am by steve@dcfd »
The proof will be in the pudding when and if we sign some other players. To make 25 squad we need a minimum of three more of any go out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:41:05 am by steve@dcfd »

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 15, 2022, 09:45:15 am by jmt23 »
I think the 4 that have been brought in to the club are all SIGNIFICANTLY better than what has left. Our transfers will not stop with those though, so I am more than happy with this side of things so far - I would say it’s the best business we have done for a few years!

The stuff regarding making it easier for people with less cash hanging around, is a very good one - we are doing it with season tickets, so why not everything. They can offer packages - season tickets and kit for a monthly fee. It certainly appeals to me and my family.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 15, 2022, 10:02:11 am by ncRover »
“The club’s latest target is currently under contract at another club and the prospective move is believed to be a permanent transfer”
(From DFP)

Strange for us!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 15, 2022, 10:15:00 am by Colin C No.3 »
“The club’s latest target is currently under contract at another club and the prospective move is believed to be a permanent transfer”
(From DFP)

Strange for us!
I think it’s the left back that’s been training & playing with us this week.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 15, 2022, 10:16:01 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's not beyond the realms of possibility, as GM hinted that priorities might shift a little. Could be they were looking at the left back position with a specific target, who might be playing the waiting game, but in the meantime have a look at back ups from players on trial, loan or whatever.

Then, the situation at centre half may have shifted their attention and might decide this is where they need to invest and if any of those we trial at left back come up to scratch then the original target will no longer be pursued.

But again, as said, these are all about footballing decisions which no doubt they are dealing with every day.

Maybe at some point, they have to review whether they perhaps spend more than they would like, leaving less in reserve for January etc.

These are decisions every football club makes whether they're spending £10m or £100m.

As always, there will be some scrambling in the last week of the window across the leagues.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 15, 2022, 10:17:46 am by ncRover »
(From DFP)

Strange for us!
I think it’s the left back that’s been training & playing with us this week.

He’s a free agent

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 15, 2022, 10:30:07 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
(From DFP)

Strange for us!

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/gary-mcsheffrey-addresses-kieran-agards-future-after-hartlepool-united-link-and-gives-transfer-update-3769035

Precisely. Just because we see a left back on trial doesn't mean we are only pursuing triallist left backs.

No idea whether this particular one is a left back, centre half or whatever, but it shows they are looking at all avenues. You decide whether these are footballing decisions or strategies dictated by the board?

Fans frustrations only come from what we don't know. That counts for alot and multiple threads about the same thing.

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 15, 2022, 10:38:24 am by Sod This For a Laugh »
Josh Martin, maybe. He has been told he is not in Dean Smith's plans

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 15, 2022, 10:42:41 am by Chris Black come back »
Not a ringing endorsement for Agard, although the quotes could be selective from the conversation.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 15, 2022, 11:37:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Talking of strategic planning and the board learning, it may be no coincidence We're playing Hiddersfield tomorrow.

Copps made it known he visited and leaned alot from Leigh Bromby, his counterpart at Huddersfield, about putting all the things in place to underpin the foundations of the whole football operations raising the standards and making Huddesfield Town a more attractive proposition for players from Youth to Senior level. They are no longer in the shadow of Leeds United and are proud of what they do and how they go about it.

It maybe an opportunity for Copps to showcase what they have achieved to our board. TB may not have much time for here today gone tomorrow footballers, but more likely longer term foundations and legacy appeal more.

It's where and how you invest the money that can have longer lasting effects on our success.

I could be talking b*llocks again ofcourse!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 15, 2022, 11:44:47 am by steve@dcfd »
(From DFP)

Strange for us!
If the person is here on trial and played against Spennymoor then it could be him only young again but contracted till 2023. I could be putting 2 +2 and getting 6. Or it could be the player who play for us last year or none of the above ???
As for Agard it says GMC addresses his future no he doesn’t. He’s heard nothing, he’s come on as sub he’s getting stronger and stronger. Not one word does it say he’s part of the plans for this season. Nothing we want him to get stronger. Hardly a glowing endorsement on his future. This is the player “we couldn’t miss out on when he was available to sign.”
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 12:03:44 pm by steve@dcfd »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 15, 2022, 12:14:42 pm by graingrover »
I often think that we are wrong to address pleas / complaints to Terry Bramall who has always been financially supportive .The Chairman who seems to take the ultimate decision on releasing extra funds beyond the agreed budget is David Blunt .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 15, 2022, 12:18:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
Our issue has never been the budget per se, it is that it has been used appallingly and not supplemented by resale value beyond Marquis and Whiteman, in pretty much the entire last 15 years. This is very bad.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 15, 2022, 12:42:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I often think that we are wrong to address pleas / complaints to Terry Bramall who has always been financially supportive .The Chairman who seems to take the ultimate decision on releasing extra funds beyond the agreed budget is David Blunt .

It doesn't really matter about what we perceive of David Blunt or understand the scope of his role, if TB wants him there, then he'll stay there.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 15, 2022, 12:53:06 pm by pib »

It doesn't really matter about what we perceive of David Blunt or understand the scope of his role, if TB wants him there, then he'll stay there.

If Blunt is indeed accountable for the position we are in, does that not call into question TB's judgement in any way whatsoever, if he indeed has such a hard-line stance on supporting an employee/partner that could be perceived as failing to deliver?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 15, 2022, 01:12:38 pm by Jonathan »
(From DFP)

Strange for us!
If the person is here on trial and played against Spennymoor then it could be him only young again but contracted till 2023. I could be putting 2 +2 and getting 6. Or it could be the player who play for us last year or none of the above ???
As for Agard it says GMC addresses his future no he doesn’t. He’s heard nothing, he’s come on as sub he’s getting stronger and stronger. Not one word does it say he’s part of the plans for this season. Nothing we want him to get stronger. Hardly a glowing endorsement on his future. This is the player “we couldn’t miss out on when he was available to sign.”

Nobody that is contracted to another club will be training and playing here on trial ahead of a permanent move. It just wouldn’t happen.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 15, 2022, 01:41:20 pm by roversdude »
Would have thought that insurances would have prevented that.
However the young left back even though a free agent a deal would need to be negotiated with Rangers due to training compensation

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 15, 2022, 01:47:57 pm by Campsall rover »

If Blunt is indeed accountable for the position we are in, does that not call into question TB's judgement in any way whatsoever, if he indeed has such a hard-line stance on supporting an employee/partner that could be perceived as failing to deliver?
The manager though spends the budget. He decides which players to bring in  Not the person who signs off the deals.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 15, 2022, 02:02:45 pm by steve@dcfd »
(From DFP)

Strange for us!

Nobody that is contracted to another club will be training and playing here on trial ahead of a permanent move. It just wouldn’t happen.
Therefore the name mentioned on Wednesday must have been wrong as he is still contracted till 2023

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 15, 2022, 02:04:11 pm by pib »

The manager though spends the budget. He decides which players to bring in  Not the person who signs off the deals.

I don't think that's completely accurate these days Campsall.

Even so I'm talking about strategy and direction here as well.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 15, 2022, 02:07:42 pm by steve@dcfd »

You are correct that’s why it will take time when the playing budget that’s left has to spread thinly. Negotiations will take time when that is the case. We then may miss out on first targets  we don’t know either way. All we do know is what GMC said players with more experience are out of our price range.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 15, 2022, 02:37:40 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The free press if you ask me get a lot of their stories off our forum. You would think they would be the ones getting the whispers, about potential signings.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 17, 2022, 10:43:15 am by donnybez »
The free press if you ask me get a lot of their stories off our forum. You would think they would be the ones getting the whispers, about potential signings.
If I was in the sports department of a newspaper that has seen budgets slashed to within an inch of their life, and left doing 5x the work that they'd have done yesteryear... I'd be raiding local club forums for gossip too

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 17, 2022, 04:01:43 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
There’s no harm in looking at forums, but doing their own work in finding these things out would help. The newspaper is nowhere near what it used to be. Full of adverts and things you don’t want to read about. I’m sure the increase in adverts is because they are struggling.The sport section is the only thing in there worth reading. Running any business in the climate we are in can’t be easy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012