Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 07:25:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Maxwell signs!  (Read 6221 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Maxwell signs!
« Reply #60 on July 21, 2022, 08:09:56 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Very good signing. One with a lot of potential to improve. I’m glad he decided he wanted to join us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 21, 2022, 08:14:30 pm by Jonathan »
If the four long term injured were back any time soon, there is no need to sign anyone else permanently. It’s a big squad we have with lots of senior players. Given what McSheffrey said about timelines for return, I’d be tempted to close the books now. We’re well covered everywhere already if people are back fit.

That if is too big in my opinion. It’s a tough start to the season and we’re not quite there in terms of quality, yet.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on July 21, 2022, 08:17:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Worth mentioning about the better news on Anderson, Taylor and Knoyle. With Close it’s a little more tricky but he is making progress, GM saying he’s (Close) getting frustrated with it, but he is improving (2 steps forward, 1 back = +1).

Much better news………….and breathe!

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 21, 2022, 08:39:27 pm by andyst79 »
Said they’ve offered a deal to Tomlin and will adapt his training so he can enjoy his time and his family, apparently he could earn £500+ more but he’d be expected to play every minute and be training full time
Hurst we’ve been talking to his representatives and Birmingham

Read that about Tomlin. Not sure how i feel about it. Fair enough older players have different training routines (i'm sure copps would have) but i expect them all to run their b*llocks off. Don't like the idea of too much special treatment. Up to Tomlin to make himself worth the special treatment though

Exactly right. Other players will soon lose that respect if he doesn't produce. Sounds like they've already integrated him and he's been giving enough to maintain that respect.

As said, I'm sure Copps only knows too well how that dynamic should work.

Didn’t Copps have tailored training programmes in his later years too? I think it’s a sensible and fairly common practice. I don’t think Copps was ever resented for it, and it enabled him to perform at his best. If we can get the best from Tomlin (and I accept it’s a big if - there’s always risk) then we would have a player that’s one of the most dangerous in the division.
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/what-gary-mcsheffrey-said-about-doncaster-rovers-trialist-lee-tomlin-3766368

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 21, 2022, 08:44:01 pm by Bessie Red »
Said they’ve offered a deal to Tomlin and will adapt his training so he can enjoy his time and his family, apparently he could earn £500+ more but he’d be expected to play every minute and be training full time
Hurst we’ve been talking to his representatives and Birmingham

Read that about Tomlin. Not sure how i feel about it. Fair enough older players have different training routines (i'm sure copps would have) but i expect them all to run their b*llocks off. Don't like the idea of too much special treatment. Up to Tomlin to make himself worth the special treatment though

Exactly right. Other players will soon lose that respect if he doesn't produce. Sounds like they've already integrated him and he's been giving enough to maintain that respect.

As said, I'm sure Copps only knows too well how that dynamic should work.
Paul Mcgrath and Ledley King both continued playing in their latter years without doing any training through the week. All players need.different routines and I'd expect most pros will understand that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 21, 2022, 09:02:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Great news, the away shirt has obviously swung it for him.
I would do this if I were you.   :chair:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 21, 2022, 09:11:32 pm by Campsall rover »
Only just seen this news.

I am over the moon at this news. Preferring to come to us in League 2 rather than Reading in The Championship is quite a coup.
Just shows if you are a well run club with ambition the you can attract a player who is probably at a level 2 leagues above.

Well done GM, Copps and yes David Blunt.

Let’s hope we can keep this left back longer than the last 2, Andrews & James

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 21, 2022, 09:26:42 pm by Metalmicky »
Worth mentioning about the better news on Anderson, Taylor and Knoyle. With Close it’s a little more tricky but he is making progress, GM saying he’s (Close) getting frustrated with it, but he is improving (2 steps forward, 1 back = +1).

Much better news………….and breathe!

That's moderately positive Alan - you feeling OK?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 21, 2022, 09:45:20 pm by RobTheRover »
I remember a time when this thread would have been a picture of a sign with 'Maxwell' written on it.

Couldn't be arsed to do that!

Will this do instead?

https://www.maxwellsigns.com/

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 21, 2022, 09:55:54 pm by Metalmicky »
Good to see Maxwell in the House.....

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 21, 2022, 10:48:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
That's moderately positive Alan - you feeling OK?

Just relaying the moderately positive news from the treatment room. After the disaster of last season, I thought it deserved a mention.

And yes, feeling perfectly fine, as always.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on July 21, 2022, 10:58:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
https://youtu.be/pjr3TMj1FkM

Crikey. An older head on young shoulders? He's not going to be the shy, retiring type.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 21, 2022, 11:17:17 pm by Alan Southstand »
I hope we’ve hired an interpreter!

;)

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 22, 2022, 05:43:27 am by Silkscarf »
Tremendous news. He’s certainly a confident lad. Sounds a perfect fit. 

Welcome James. Hope you enjoy your time with the Rovers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 22, 2022, 05:59:44 am by GazLaz »
I think this looks the best signing so far based on what I’d look for if I was making a signing.

Slightly concerning that there was very little process involved in finding him. More luck than any smart way of working but good luck to the lad.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 22, 2022, 06:10:39 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He has the potential to be if not the best left back in league two, then one of them. Him and Miller are our best signings so far.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 22, 2022, 06:47:11 am by andyst79 »
Hopefully these new signings do well and progress next season. On the face of it this looks to be a far better transfer window than last summer, however Hiwula looked a good bit of business on paper but things don't always work out. Think keeping Clayton fit will be the key to our season I know he wasn't match fit when he joined in January but should be well up to speed now. Him and Rowe should be able to boss league 2

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on July 22, 2022, 07:37:32 am by Alan Southstand »
I take it you’ve not seen a pre-season friendly, andyst79? Capturing Maxwell was (almost) a necessity, but we shouldn’t underestimate any of the signings, imho. Miller, Molyneux, Biggins and Maxwell are all good lads and if we follow them up with Tomlin and Hurst then we’ve had a good, solid window.

Get Anderson back into the mix, followed by Taylor and the bench is going to be very strong. Then, hopefully, Close gets himself sorted and the midfield is looking quality for L2.

My hope, then, is for Fej to prove his fitness and get back on board and we’ll have a top 10 squad.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on July 22, 2022, 07:57:20 am by dickos1 »
If all that happens it would be a top ten squad in league 1 never mind league 2

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 22, 2022, 08:04:55 am by NickDRFC »

I think we’re in a strong position and I’m feeling pretty optimistic but weren’t you banging the drum about how strong our squad was this time last year? Once bitten…

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 22, 2022, 08:13:30 am by Alan Southstand »
L1 is sooooo last season! We have to get out of L2 before we can think about standards for L1. Do not underestimate the other teams in the league we’re in - that is a recipe for disaster.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on July 22, 2022, 08:25:27 am by graingrover »
We appointed a scout in Scotland recently so if this is the result of his work then well  done!

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 22, 2022, 09:29:35 am by karldew »
The perfect chant to ‘Batman’

Maxwell,
Maxwell,
Maxwell,
Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da,
MAXWELL….

:chair: :coat:

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 22, 2022, 10:18:30 am by Bessie Red »
https://youtu.be/pjr3TMj1FkM

Crikey. An older head on young shoulders? He's not going to be the shy, retiring type.
Great to see such a confident persona in someone so young. He could be a very, very shrewd signing with the potential to earn the club some big money in the future.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on July 22, 2022, 10:22:37 am by Chris Black come back »
We appointed a scout in Scotland recently so if this is the result of his work then well  done!

Sadly not. McSheffrey said it was completely by chance, in that the agent of Maxwell made a call to us, rather than us seeking him out.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 22, 2022, 10:26:30 am by Silkscarf »
The perfect chant to ‘Batman’

Maxwell,
Maxwell,
Maxwell,
Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da,
MAXWELL….

:chair: :coat:

I keep thinking of Maxwell’s silver hammer. Bang, bang! Etc as he robustly (but fairly) tackles the opposition right winger and nudges him accidentally over the advertising hoardings.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on July 22, 2022, 10:30:18 am by dickos1 »

I think we’re in a strong position and I’m feeling pretty optimistic but weren’t you banging the drum about how strong our squad was this time last year? Once bitten…

You’ve a better memory than me,

I still think we did have a half decent squad last season, but take Anderson, close, Taylor, okenabirhie out of it and that makes a difference.
The squad was good enough to not be involved in a relegation scrap

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on July 22, 2022, 10:56:52 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I bet it won't be long before this lad is giving the b*llockings to Olowu and Williams. A fiery scot in the making maybe.

My fave left back was Gareth Roberts and if he has similar tenacity, bravery in defending plus good passing and shooting ability, we have a real gem.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on July 22, 2022, 11:04:43 am by thumper »

Sadly not. McSheffrey said it was completely by chance, in that the agent of Maxwell made a call to us, rather than us seeking him out.

I thought he said in the interview last night that it was the scout who put him to us?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 22, 2022, 11:29:44 am by GazLaz »
Signing players we haven’t seen play a live competitive game is madness. We are obviously doing a lot. Every signing should go through exactly the same process (I know it’s not 100% possible in the real world), but that should be the plan. Just not much real preparation as part of our system it seems.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012