Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 08:45:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Inflation  (Read 3450 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Inflation
« Reply #30 on August 01, 2022, 10:50:46 am by Glyn_Wigley »
And I keep banging on about this but we are an island - why dont we use more tidal energy?
Tidal energy is a problem as they can’t sort the rust issues at the moment

Any source of energy has to be cheap enough to harness and maintain to make it worth exploiting.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 01, 2022, 11:38:09 am by BobG »
I can add to that Bob.

Fire service cut back by 10% in the last decade very noticeable during the recent heatwave.

Economy growth stagnant for the last decade and more. Now it's plunging into a recession.

2.1 million and rising, reliant on food banks.

Perhaps we should also add:

Corruption? Rampant

BobG

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 01, 2022, 12:38:23 pm by SydneyRover »
''The wave power generator experts say 'proves ocean energy can work' is already powering Australian homes''

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-31/wave-power-generator-supplying-king-island-with-electricity/101282070

Good for remote areas where transmission is a problem.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 01, 2022, 02:51:10 pm by albie »
And I keep banging on about this but we are an island - why dont we use more tidal energy?
Tidal energy is a problem as they can’t sort the rust issues at the moment

Sorry Sproty, but this is not the issue......it is simply a matter of costs!

The green power supply projects that will go ahead are defined by the Contacts for Difference system.

Offshore wind came out cheapest in the new 4th CfD round at £37.35/MWh, with 7GW backed.
On shore wind (those on remote islands apart) came out at $42.47/MW. (But all of these are in Scotland).
All but 1 of the 66 (2.2GW) of solar farms are in England or Wales – all at £45.99/MWh. 

Floating offshore wind is the new entrant.....The CfD support is for Hexicon’s 32 MW TwinHub project at the repurposed wave hub in North Cornwall, at £87.3/MWh.

The 4 new entrant tidal turbines all have an even higher CfD strike price- £178.54/ MWh.
The 2 Scottish floating tidal projects are 2.4MW for a single Orbital unit and 4.8MW for a double Orbital unit, Magallane’s Morlais project in Wales is 5.6MW, while Mygen’s project in Scotland is 28 MW- an extension of the existing scheme in Pentland Firth.

So the cost of tidal at the moment is higher than uneconomic options like nuclear.
That is likely to change with development and scale, but it is not competitive at present.

The worrying issue is that Sunak, Truss and Keith/Reeves do not have a clue about the energy economy, and talk complete nonsense on a regular basis.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 01, 2022, 05:47:49 pm by BobG »
By the way, if you extend the analysis to the period between 1920, when the Labour Party first became a credible party of government, and today, the Conservative Party has been in power for 73% of 102 years. Sterling job done there lads!

The other two interesting aspects of that information are that Britain is obviously a fundamentally conservative country, and, that nothing succeeds like having possession of wealth and power.

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 01, 2022, 06:06:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I fundamentally disagree there Bob. As I've shown in previous threads, there hadn't been a single election in the past 50 years in which fewer than 50% of votes have gone to left of centre parties, or centrist parties leaning leftwards.

In most elections, there's been something above 60% voting for that set of parties. But because FPTP massively discriminates against fragmented wing of politics, the Tories have been in power for the vast majority of that 50 years, when that has clearly not been the will of the electorate when measured by national vote.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 01, 2022, 06:40:21 pm by BobG »
Ok. I'll buy that. Lazy thinking on my part. The power and the wealth ensure the continuation of a skewed and corrupt electoral system,

Cheers Billy. I deserved that.

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 01, 2022, 08:16:03 pm by drfchound »
I fundamentally disagree there Bob. As I've shown in previous threads, there hadn't been a single election in the past 50 years in which fewer than 50% of votes have gone to left of centre parties, or centrist parties leaning leftwards.

In most elections, there's been something above 60% voting for that set of parties. But because FPTP massively discriminates against fragmented wing of politics, the Tories have been in power for the vast majority of that 50 years, when that has clearly not been the will of the electorate when measured by national vote.

And yet no complaints on the few occasions that Labour won then bst?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 01, 2022, 09:01:07 pm by danumdon »

So after all that analysis BST does it not pose the question that's begging to be asked.

Just wtf were Labour doing in the periods where they had overall control, does it not leave you and your ilk personally pis*ed off that The Labour party, knowing everything you have just explained, decided off their own backs to condemn the working man (and women) of this country to continual and persistent government by the Tory party, because they were too greedy and power hungry to share control in a coalition to fix the issue when they had full and unbridled opportunity to do so,

What does that say about the morals of this party.

It tells me they don,t give a hoot for working class people of this country and just require you to vote sheep like for them in the hope that they may break the cycle and govern once in a while. Shocking, if you didn't know better.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 01, 2022, 09:32:14 pm by scawsby steve »

So after all that analysis BST does it not pose the question that's begging to be asked.

Just wtf were Labour doing in the periods where they had overall control, does it not leave you and your ilk personally pis*ed off that The Labour party, knowing everything you have just explained, decided off their own backs to condemn the working man (and women) of this country to continual and persistent government by the Tory party, because they were too greedy and power hungry to share control in a coalition to fix the issue when they had full and unbridled opportunity to do so,

What does that say about the morals of this party.

It tells me they don,t give a hoot for working class people of this country and just require you to vote sheep like for them in the hope that they may break the cycle and govern once in a while. Shocking, if you didn't know better.

Excellent post.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 01, 2022, 09:40:15 pm by BobG »
What does it it take to win an election in this country?? Think about it. The answer to your question SS is in the answer.

BobG

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 01, 2022, 10:02:06 pm by scawsby steve »
What does it it take to win an election in this country?? Think about it. The answer to your question SS is in the answer.

BobG

You must be on the wrong thread, Bob. I haven't asked any questions in this thread.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 01, 2022, 11:32:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DD.
I've posted many times that I think the biggest mistake Blair ever made, bigger than Iraq even, was to choose not to bring in PR. You're preaching to the converted.

But that's now a generation in the past. The issue now is, what Government is likely to bring in PR in future?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 01, 2022, 11:43:57 pm by albie »
BST,

You may have missed it, but Keith told Andrew Marr that PR "was not a priority" when asked directly about reform of voting and constitutional arrangements.

If it is not a priority for him, then what is?
I would not hang your hat on that peg if I were you!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 02, 2022, 12:14:03 am by SydneyRover »
I guess political perfection only comes with a party that cannot get elected in its own right.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 02, 2022, 02:00:31 am by SydneyRover »
What about 'Fantasy Politics' ................ name your party and policies that can get it into power, please everyone and stay there.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 02, 2022, 07:34:49 am by Ldr »
I guess political perfection only comes with a party that cannot get elected in its own right.

So the libdems? Or greens? Or bnp? Or any of the mutitude that stand for election?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 02, 2022, 08:29:16 am by SydneyRover »

So the libdems? Or greens? Or bnp? Or any of the mutitude that stand for election?

I just find it a bit strange about the pundits making demands on a party most likely to oust the tories and yet we don't know what they demand of their own party. What demands do you put on party you vote for Ldr?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 02, 2022, 10:27:36 am by drfchound »
BST,

You may have missed it, but Keith told Andrew Marr that PR "was not a priority" when asked directly about reform of voting and constitutional arrangements.

If it is not a priority for him, then what is?
I would not hang your hat on that peg if I were you!

Ah, but don’t forget albie, Starmer might change his mind on this …..  again  ….. then again if he were to ever win a GE.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 02, 2022, 10:47:58 am by Ldr »

I just find it a bit strange about the pundits making demands on a party most likely to oust the tories and yet we don't know what they demand of their own party. What demands do you put on party you vote for Ldr?

I currently don’t have one Syd, I left the conservatives over the Cummings thing and then they left me when they continued veering out of decency.

Honesty, fairness and definitely pragmatism I’d demand though Syd

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 02, 2022, 11:38:31 am by danumdon »

I currently don’t have one Syd, I left the conservatives over the Cummings thing and then they left me when they continued veering out of decency.

Join the club, if its honesty, fairness and definitely pragmatism that you seek from our political reps then you will be a very long time waiting for sincere representation.

See i have a problem with Labour over this very point, with the Tories you get what it says on the tin, they don't bleat and try to convince you they are all the above when everyone knows they are not.

But Labour, the party of the working masses, never, they would never go against honesty, fairness and pragmatism.

Or so they tell us,

Actions speak louder than words.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 02, 2022, 12:00:39 pm by SydneyRover »

Honesty and fairness, if you see Austerity fitting in that there's no wonder we disagree in so much Ldr.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 02, 2022, 12:16:14 pm by Ldr »
Looking forward to you finding a post from me saying I thought austerity was honest and/or fair Syd

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 02, 2022, 01:02:21 pm by SydneyRover »
I thought you already had, unless I've read your recent posts incorrectly.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 02, 2022, 01:38:30 pm by Ldr »
I thought you already had, unless I've read your recent posts incorrectly.

Apology accepted

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 02, 2022, 07:40:12 pm by scawsby steve »
Looking forward to you finding a post from me saying I thought austerity was honest and/or fair Syd

It's OK, Ldr, he doesn't understand semantics.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 02, 2022, 10:08:10 pm by SydneyRover »

It's OK, Ldr, he doesn't understand semantics.

Its a better reply than your often used, single word response Steve, it's almost poetry for you

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 02, 2022, 11:47:59 pm by SydneyRover »
Hey Steve your brexit chum mogg wrote the book on semantics

''Jacob Rees-Mogg has admitted he was wrong to say there would be no delays at the port of Dover caused by the UK leaving the EU.

But the Brexit opportunities minister maintained the government line that the French, not Brexit, had caused the recent delays, in a radio interview on Tuesday.

LBC radio replayed a claim from 2018 when he insisted “there will be no need for checks at Dover” and he was clear that “the delays will not be at Dover, they will be at Calais”.

Rees-Mogg blamed Paris for the “French-created delays” witnessed recently before he was asked if he would apologise for getting it wrong.

“Yes, of course I got it wrong, but I got it wrong for the right reason, if I may put it that way,” he said.

“The point I was making was that the only delays would be caused by the French if they decided not to allow British people to pass through freely. They have decided to do that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/jacob-rees-mogg-admits-i-was-wrong-to-say-brexit-would-not-cause-dover-delays

maybe the question should have been: would there be delays without brexit?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 03, 2022, 12:00:47 am by SydneyRover »

pre-cummings you didn't have honesty and fairness in your toolkit?

I can only evaluate what you put on the page Ldr.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 03, 2022, 07:36:42 am by Ldr »
Again, you need to read what i said, not what you want me to have said

TinyPortal © 2005-2012