Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 06:22:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mitchell  (Read 9340 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Mitchell
« on July 30, 2022, 10:21:38 pm by scawsby steve »
Superb today, apart from his kicking, which can be coached.

I don't get those who've been criticising him all week.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Mitchell
« Reply #1 on July 30, 2022, 10:23:51 pm by mushRTID »
Looked a lot better to me.

Does anyone think the kicking out of play might have been deliberate? It was that bad it must have been.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 30, 2022, 10:25:33 pm by karldew »
Yeh kicking wasn’t great but maybe a tactic to waste more time? Ball out of play as far up as possible rather than their defender heading it to a free man.

Probably not, we’ll see next week when hopefully the performance is a bit better to watch.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 30, 2022, 10:26:32 pm by karldew »
Looked a lot better to me.

Does anyone think the kicking out of play might have been deliberate? It was that bad it must have been.

I thought I was a bit mad for thinking it but this has made me feel better. Unless it’s just the 2 of us that are mad.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 30, 2022, 10:27:24 pm by mushRTID »
The reason I ask is when they kept going out of play we just set back up defensively and Hughes was going nuts.

When he kept one in play Andrews challenged for it but the ball broke to them and they came at us.

I sort of feel it was a defensive decision.

Sarge

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 30, 2022, 10:34:56 pm by Sarge »
Thought he played well today, shithousery time wasting to a Sullivan level. Which was nice to see.

I think he was doing it on purpose from a time wasting perspective, into the stands and it takes a couple of seconds to get the ball back into play.

His distribution might be questionable at times but to consistently do what he was doing in the area he was then that for me showed game management,

Don’t have a UEFA coaching badge it was either  game management or he’s got a boomerang for a foot

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 30, 2022, 11:09:15 pm by Spud »
I like a character & I like Mitchell?, he'll put the odd one out bit what really damage does it do us?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 31, 2022, 01:08:01 am by RobTheRover »
He's a good keeper. Had to get down sharpish to stop their only shot on target in the first half, and came and took so many crosses today, taking pressure off the defenders. A proper team player. Well done Mitch.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 31, 2022, 04:02:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Really quick around the box, great shot stopper, just not the best on crosses. He had a great game today.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 31, 2022, 07:12:20 am by RoversAlias »
I would say Mitchell's best element in this game was crosses. He caught so many, punched a number clear through a crowd as well. He made sure the air was his in our box, exactly what you want.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 31, 2022, 08:26:11 am by Campsall rover »
I have never understood the criticism of him.
He had a poor defence in front of him last season but he saved us from some seriously heavy defeats and got us a few points in the 2nd half of last season

He has now got a well drilled defence in front of him even if 3 of the back 4 are the same players. That’s going to help Mitchell enormously and give him confidence.
I think he will have a very good season and there will be a few on here having to eat their words.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 31, 2022, 09:32:04 am by roversdude »
Been a big fan of him all along. His kicking yesterday was huge but drifted out as it got to the open part of the stadium

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 31, 2022, 11:41:36 am by RugbyRover »
One swallow and all that.

If he has turned into a good keeper then fair play and credit to Bennet for the transformation.

Early days. He had a good game at Sunderland and then reverted to being pants.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 31, 2022, 11:47:40 am by Chris Black come back »
Maybe yesterday wasn’t the game but it is noticeable that he isn’t one of the modern keepers who fannies around with playing as a sweeper. He does what we haven’t had for some time - stops the ball from crossing the line. His distribution not great at all, but we’ve got 10 other players for that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 11:51:50 am by Chris Black come back »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 31, 2022, 11:47:55 am by graingrover »
He is full of confidence and showed authority throughout and I have nothing negative to say about his handling of crosses and corners either .When clearing the ball from hands on the edge of his area he always carries the ball just outside the area and will get caught by the ref for it sometime for sure .

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 31, 2022, 11:59:14 am by ChrisBx »
I'm one of those who isn't convinced that Mitchell is the answer, however yesterday was a good start for him. I hope I'm wrong about him.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 31, 2022, 12:14:10 pm by Colin C No.3 »
He had a good game yesterday under enormous pressure & smack in the middle of a ‘cauldron’ 2nd half with their fans around him he not only kept his head & concentration but used as much ‘gamesmanship’ as he could possibly get away with to run the clock down.

A good save at his bottom left hand post.

I also began to wonder if his kicking the ball into touch was a deliberate ‘ploy after the 7th time!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 31, 2022, 12:24:50 pm by 5minstogo »
At the end of the day McSheffrey has said Mitchell and Jones offer good value in the budget. Neither will be on big money, so we can't expect them to be the best in the league. Mitchell is a capable enough  keeper at League 1 level

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 31, 2022, 12:49:43 pm by GazLaz »
He wasn’t tested massive. Nearly caught out by the free kick that hit the post, he guessed the wrong way. Comfortable claiming some very poor balls into the box.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 31, 2022, 12:50:54 pm by Campsall rover »
At the end of the day McSheffrey has said Mitchell and Jones offer good value in the budget. Neither will be on big money, so we can't expect them to be the best in the league. Mitchell is a capable enough  keeper at League 1 level
Will be OK next season then.  :)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 31, 2022, 04:59:51 pm by scawsby steve »
He wasn’t tested massive. Nearly caught out by the free kick that hit the post, he guessed the wrong way. Comfortable claiming some very poor balls into the box.

Bloody hell, Gaz, you really don't like him do you.

He had a great game yesterday, and you just won't give him any credit.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 31, 2022, 05:18:32 pm by Spud »
Made a good save when (Oliver?) hit one early in the first half, great save down to his left in the second, & caught or punched everything that came his way. Commanded his box, organised his defence but put one or two kicks into touch, bloody rubbish.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 31, 2022, 07:58:48 pm by dickos1 »

Free kick went over the wall,
The wall covers one half of the goal and the goalkeeper cover the other half
He didn’t guess the wrong way.

Last season He had a mare against Rotherham but after that he was good,
He was brilliant yesterday, and anyone who says otherwise just doesn’t like him

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 31, 2022, 08:48:02 pm by GazLaz »

The free kick went to the side of the goal he was stood at. Watch the replay again.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 31, 2022, 10:02:57 pm by roversdude »
He was confident it was going wide lol

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 31, 2022, 10:28:08 pm by drfchound »
Perhaps it was simply that the Bradford player took a very good free kick.
Things like that do happen.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 31, 2022, 10:44:28 pm by dickos1 »

The free kick went to the side of the goal he was stood at. Watch the replay again.

Free kick went straight over the wall,
Mitchell didn’t guess the wrong way he was stood in the middle of the goal.
If the taker gets it over the wall and down again then there’s nothing the keeper can do

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 31, 2022, 11:16:24 pm by Colin C No.3 »
The first clean sheet for a keeper playing in his first competitive match with only 9 outfielders between him & 11 players against a loud away vocal crowd bodes well as far as I’m concerned.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 01, 2022, 08:28:03 am by Mustapha-Dump »
I might be in the minority but I love Mitchell, his debut was one to forget but we would’ve still got pumped if we had Sully in net. I said very early doors this summer that we didn’t need to be looking at a new keeper as the money would be better spent elsewhere. More than capable in league 1 in my opinion with a decent defence in front of him, so will be fine this season if yesterdays defensive display is replicated. He takes crosses which is something we haven’t had from a keeper since Sullivan in my opinion which is a long time ago, decent shot stopper, has a big kick (when it stays in play) and is already a budding master of the dark arts, exactly what you want from a keeper

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 01, 2022, 10:42:05 am by dickos1 »
The first clean sheet for a keeper playing in his first competitive match with only 9 outfielders between him & 11 players against a loud away vocal crowd bodes well as far as I’m concerned.

Mitchell’s first competitive match?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012