Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:39:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tonights Game  (Read 3919 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Tonights Game
« on August 16, 2022, 09:49:01 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I know that Rovers have never done anything the easy way, but this side are doing absolutely nothing for my nervous system. A good performance and a fully deserved victory though. We’re slowly eradicating the horrors of last season.

There’s a small area of South East London thats proudly red and white tonight.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Batleyred

• Forum Member
Re: Tonights Game
« Reply #1 on August 16, 2022, 09:53:46 pm by Batleyred »
It's a breath of fresh air to watch this team from last seasons. Love the togetherness of this team.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 16, 2022, 09:53:58 pm by Spud »
Loved watching that. Only on ifollow tonight unfortunately, but we're starting to play some football while keeping that stubbornness too. Some great performances there, Tomlin particularly proving McSheffery right tonight.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 16, 2022, 09:58:32 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Imo we needed a performance despite our results and i think we got that. Could have been many more. And i know they were down to 10 but that can kill a game. Yes we let them back in with an individual error. But the point is play like that you win the game 8 out of 10 times which is what i've been looking for from GM.

Next match we'll be half way to the 10 game mark. A few more like tonight and GM will have made a damn good case

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 16, 2022, 10:00:14 pm by Tiddysdad »
Not quite happy all the way through that my nerves were shocked but kept thinking they were doing what we did to Bradford but just had the feeling we would have another chance. WOW.
They just don't know how to give up.
Tomlin went up on my estimation after his performance tonight and Clayton perfect captain.
Well done Mr M.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 16, 2022, 10:01:22 pm by Butchers Red »
So many options out there - even if they could stop Tomlin, so many other match winners queuing up it's almost inevitable. Saturday will be a real indicator of how solid we are though.

Goldthorperover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 16, 2022, 10:01:51 pm by Goldthorperover »
For the first time in what seems like forever, probably even before last season, I actually enjoyed watching rovers tonight and was always confident we'd nick the win.

UTR

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2022, 10:44:38 pm by Campsall rover »
Reward for persistence.
It looked as though the ball would never go in.
But we kept going and got our reward again.

This team has got a bit of steel which augers well for the season.

Tomlin and Clayton ran the show. Some of Tomlin’s passes were sublime.
What a run that was to set up Agard. Didn’t know he could run like that.
If he keeps his head then we have a match winner. Far too good for most players to handle in this league.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 10:52:02 pm by Campsall rover »

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2022, 10:51:30 pm by jmt23 »
It’s never easy to breakdown a team that defend on the edge of their penalty area, but we kept moving them around passing and moving :aok: we never lost patience at all, we were confident we would score.
I just wish they would shoot more, we had plenty of chances to do it tonight.
Well done DRFC a great performance and another win, another against top of the league on Saturday and we might start to think we have a chance here :rtid:

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 16, 2022, 10:57:18 pm by StocksArmy »
Realise we had the advantage but tonight was the first time since i can remember where i have enjoyed watching us. I think we used the extra man brilliantly, retained the ball well, Tomlin finding pockets of space and barring some poor final balls/ finishing we should have been very comfortable. Although, even going into injury time i didnt sit there and think it was going to finish 1-1. I just felt it was coming. Weird.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 16, 2022, 11:01:25 pm by Bessie Red »
We were unlucky not to have won the game 3/4 - 1, the woodwork kept out two sublime strikes from Tomlin and the keeper saved a strike with his face that he knew nothing about. There were othe good chances too. The 2 -1 win doesn't reflect fairly the total dominance we had tonight!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 16, 2022, 11:02:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
Imagine if we get Close, Taylor, Griffiths and Olowu back fit.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 16, 2022, 11:07:10 pm by drfchound »
For the first time in what seems like forever, probably even before last season, I actually enjoyed watching rovers tonight and was always confident we'd nick the win.

UTR

More or less the way I feel too.
I was saying after the game that there has been more excitement tonight than for the whole of the last 18 months.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 16, 2022, 11:07:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 I thought it had all the ingredients of being one of those games where we could lose to a sucker punch breakaway attack after dominating the match.

I really think there is something special about this side.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 16, 2022, 11:11:02 pm by Donnyjim »
It was an excellent performance and I think we would have still won 11v11. Even at 1-1 I knew we would win it. There is this resilience and togetherness in this team to find a late goal. Not seen this for a while. Great football to watch and all very pleasant, one would suggest.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 16, 2022, 11:16:07 pm by Jonathan »
A word for Agard too. He has very intelligent movement doesn’t he.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 16, 2022, 11:17:24 pm by Bessie Red »
Agard is also now showing the experience and knowledge of a good striker that we all hoped would come out.
Got to admit I was one who thought we might try to move him on before the end of the transfer window, but he has shown his worth to the squad over the last few games.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:19:31 pm by Bessie Red »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 16, 2022, 11:19:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Worth noting that the difference often can be the bench and having the players we had coming on tonight and recently is a big step forward for us.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 16, 2022, 11:22:10 pm by Alan Southstand »
I don’t know why he didn’t get the penalty!

That was exhausting! I just hope there’s nobody injured for Saturday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 16, 2022, 11:40:18 pm by drfchound »
I don’t know why he didn’t get the penalty!

That was exhausting! I just hope there’s nobody injured for Saturday.

I will be ok for Saturday Alan.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 16, 2022, 11:59:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good to see big Tom back to his imperious best.

Ro Shaun looks like a different player this season and even better with Tom alongside him.  You can tell how much he's enjoying it when he did his own celebration after the winner.

I think we get the feeling there's more to come too when the players gain more confidence in each other. I'd like to see Maxwell and Hurst come out of their shell a bit more which I'm sure will come with games.

I'm pleased all the games so far have been tough ones and we've come through them with points as it builds the belief.

Another one on Saturday that won't be won or lost on stats. Just score more than the opponent.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 17, 2022, 12:01:25 am by Alan Southstand »
Can I just add a word of warning on the antics of Mitchell - he had 2 warnings tonight that if you stray too far out your goal, you leave the net totally exposed to a sucker punch from distance! Stop it, for goodness sake - the edge of your 18 yard area is sufficient - you’re not a sweeper!

Other than that, ok, apart from not allowing the ball to go between your legs!

;)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 17, 2022, 12:19:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I wonder if we'd have survived if he'd stayed fit last season. His runs are as intelligent as anything I've seen from a Rovers striker in a good while.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 17, 2022, 01:04:08 am by RobTheRover »

I wonder if we'd have survived if he'd stayed fit last season. His runs are as intelligent as anything I've seen from a Rovers striker in a good while.

Agreed. His movement,  whilst not really about outright pace,  was the key to unlocking Sutton too.  He was taking their defenders to areas of the pitch they didn't want to go,  opening up spaces for others. His experience will be invaluable in the coming weeks and months.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 17, 2022, 01:35:40 am by scawsby steve »
Imagine if we get Close, Taylor, Griffiths and Olowu back fit.

In the event of injuries, yes, but on the evidence of tonight's performance, I wouldn't replace any of the current starting 11 with any of the above.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 17, 2022, 08:49:01 am by Spud »

Massive difference having Tomlin on the same wavelength as him this season, Clayton's much improved & fitter too.

Great to see Big Tom something like back to his best too, noticed a few times last night how he had the confidence to bring a few high balls down & set us off playing, rather than the ball just being headed into midfield.
All round, the team looks confident now.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 17, 2022, 09:01:24 am by ncRover »
Even before the red card, Biggins also looked much more comfortable in midfield.

I like Olowu but I just feel a bit more at ease with Tom at the back.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 17, 2022, 09:30:49 am by Goole Rover »
Just hope that all those who questioned Gary’s appointment are reading this and holding their hand up. The man always deserved a chance in my opinion. Let’s keep the faith and remember tonight a great start to the season, roll on Saturday which won’t be easy.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 17, 2022, 09:55:35 am by Reg of the Rovers »
Just hope that all those who questioned Gary’s appointment are reading this and holding their hand up. The man always deserved a chance in my opinion. Let’s keep the faith and remember tonight a great start to the season, roll on Saturday which won’t be easy.
Agreed, big differences in how he sets us up and in particular the changes being made - last season a couple of head-scratching line-ups and odd changes, but every team we put out is the strongest / most suited to the opposition, and every change is to respond to the position we are in (e.g. to protect at Bradford, to further press and dominate v Stockport) although when they mistakenly announced we were bringing Clayton off last night I did almost drop my bovril.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 17, 2022, 10:16:24 am by ditch_drfc »
Just hope that all those who questioned Gary’s appointment are reading this and holding their hand up.

Bloody hell we're 4 games into the season mate. Don't you think it's a bit soon for these gloating posts of the true faithful who never had any doubts. I think questioning his appointment was pretty reasonable when we were actually relegated!

FWIW I don't think we've seen enough of this season yet to give a true judgement on GM. What we've seen so far has been pretty hopeful and a breath of fresh air compared to last season. But we are still 4 games in. There will be plenty of twists and turns in this season to come. Let's give it a bit longer before we start forming judgements.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012