Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 07:42:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lee Tomlin  (Read 5655 times)

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
Re: Lee Tomlin
« Reply #30 on August 17, 2022, 12:33:53 am by ChrisBx »
Some of his forward passes were unplayable. If he stays fit and motivated for the majority of the season then he could play a very big role for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 17, 2022, 05:18:48 am by Sammy Chung was King »
People in general tend to think of those with depression to lack mental toughness. He turned a bad start at Bradford into a top notch display against Stockport. He’s proven he has the mental toughness and he still has the ability to rip any defence apart. His ability to last a full ninety minutes can’t be questioned. Having mental issues is nothing to be ashamed of, he should be proud of what he has just produced on the pitch. Fantastic footballer.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 17, 2022, 06:22:05 am by Spud »
Worth mentioning he won the ball back a few times too, & looked very mobile last night.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 17, 2022, 06:25:17 am by philsky »

What a signing we have here.

His interview was honest and clearly he loves the club already:

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 17, 2022, 07:57:28 am by idler »
A great interview and hopefully his enthusiasm keeps on growing. He’s definitely one whose ability is there for all to see and capable of stepping up a division or two.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 17, 2022, 10:30:55 am by drfchound »
I criticised him strongly after the Bradford sending off and I stand by that. It was idiotic.

But tonight...my God he was a joy to watch. Simply superb. One of the best individual performances I've seen from a Rovers player in a very long time.

It’s a good job then that the club didn’t take the advice of some supporters and sack him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 17, 2022, 03:46:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/lee-tomlin-reveals-he-almost-quit-football-before-making-doncaster-rovers-switch-3809239

Not sure if this is taken from the interview above. Either way, a good honest assessment of where he is.

Surely only a matter of time before he hits the back of the net but with passing like last night, our forwards should be licking their lips.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 17, 2022, 03:54:52 pm by philsky »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/lee-tomlin-reveals-he-almost-quit-football-before-making-doncaster-rovers-switch-3809239

Not sure if this is taken from the interview above. Either way, a good honest assessment of where he is.

Surely only a matter of time before he hits the back of the net but with passing like last night, our forwards should be licking their lips.

Im paraphrasing i think but to the question about his ability and being better than those around him; he replied 'I'd hope so"; and to be fair that probably wasn't arrogance, just a fair appraisal.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 17, 2022, 04:39:34 pm by Upton Rover »
Great player at this level, more to come when he’s fully up and running, should have been a 2 year contract

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 17, 2022, 04:46:06 pm by Alickismyhero »
I noticed that when the ref was showing the red card Tomlin was right there patting the poor kid on his back. I would rather he didn't do that sort of thing but thats his character.

Stockport clearly never did their homework on Tomlin. They gave him the space in midfield to play to his strengths.

I will make a prediction as the season goes on he will not get as much space and the opposition will be out to wind him up.

I really rate the quality of his passing, the power of his shooting but he lets himself down with the quality of his diving. Its nice to see him make a full 90mins.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 17, 2022, 06:55:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I noticed that when the ref was showing the red card Tomlin was right there patting the poor kid on his back. I would rather he didn't do that sort of thing but thats his character.

Stockport clearly never did their homework on Tomlin. They gave him the space in midfield to play to his strengths.

I will make a prediction as the season goes on he will not get as much space and the opposition will be out to wind him up.

I really rate the quality of his passing, the power of his shooting but he lets himself down with the quality of his diving. Its nice to see him make a full 90mins.

Last night was a masterclass from him. But of course he had more space than you'd normally expect.

If we can work a system that gets him anything like that sort of space on a regular basis, we'll be serious contenders.

We're obviously going to have a style that is based on Clayton as a deep lying playmaker. As last night showed, Tomlin dropping deep to pick up the ball works if there's space in midfield - that can be devastating. Issue is going to be what happens when the opposition defence pushes up and compresses that space. I guess we need the front three to be looking to make runs behind a high defence line, and Clayton to ping longer balls over the top for them. If we get those two options working, I think we'll have too much for most sides at this level.

If we are going to do that, it raises the question if whether Agard needs to be used more, given the intelligence of his running through the back line. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:03:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 17, 2022, 07:00:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Bst you answer your own point there. Push up and miller, molyneux etc will run in behind with ease.  We have great options when we get it going right.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 17, 2022, 07:57:37 pm by andyst79 »

Opposing managers will see him as a massive threat and he will become a target hopefully he can keep his head

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 17, 2022, 08:44:53 pm by Alan Southstand »
They’re going to have to target Rowe and Clayton, while they’re at it!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 17, 2022, 08:49:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »
They’re going to have to target Rowe and Clayton, while they’re at it!

That should help Biggins and Molyneux  :lol: :lol:

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 17, 2022, 08:57:47 pm by Branton Red »
Got to admit I wondered at the sanity of Rovers signing a player of Tomlin's age who looked overweight and had barely played for the last 2 years.

But that performance proved me entirely wrong.

He was superb. Several notches in class above anyone else on the pitch.

It was not just the quality of his passing but the continual positivity of it too. Stockport, who were otherwise well-organized and looked largely comfortable in open play, were panicked by virtually every forward pass he played.

Playing against 10 men played to his strengths by giving him more time and space on the ball. But still he was excellent.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 17, 2022, 09:01:37 pm by 5minstogo »
I'm not a Tomlin fan and the Bradford moment didn't help improve my opinion but he appears to be doing and saying the right things to sway supporters such as myself. I think he has an ability unique to this league.  If manager's try to man mark him he can twist and work his way free with his footwork, if they stand off him he can pick a pass. Its difficult to know how best to defend against him.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 18, 2022, 06:52:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
If he gets to the peak of his fitness, nobody in this league will be able to stop him. I just hope when he is given rough treatment, that he can make them pay with his ability, rather than getting involved with the opposition.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 18, 2022, 06:59:54 am by turnbull for england »
Bannonesque, for nothing like what Wednesday pay him

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 18, 2022, 07:50:51 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Just keep him fit and enjoying his football, he will do the rest with support from the other good players we have.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 18, 2022, 08:21:09 am by jmt23 »
Im glad some have also praised Clayton, he is running the games and involved in everything. My big worry comes if he gets injured or suspended for ant length of time.

Tomlin was apparently the Cardiff player of the year 2 seasons ago! To drop to league 2 from that must be hard to take personally, you can see why he was that highly rated though, he is that John oyster of a player we have managed to find.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 18, 2022, 08:26:05 am by Chris Black come back »
Im glad some have also praised Clayton, he is running the games and involved in everything. My big worry comes if he gets injured or suspended for ant length of time.

Tomlin was apparently the Cardiff player of the year 2 seasons ago! To drop to league 2 from that must be hard to take personally, you can see why he was that highly rated though, he is that John oyster of a player we have managed to find.

We’ve definitely brought him out of his shell.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on August 18, 2022, 08:49:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Oh, not the John Oyster Cult again!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 18, 2022, 08:53:10 am by Dutch Uncle »
All these Ostler fans need to get off their high horse and respect real club legends like Jeffreys and Sharpe  :lol:

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 18, 2022, 09:56:22 am by Reg of the Rovers »

He was an absolutely pearl of a player for us.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 18, 2022, 10:43:39 am by RoversAlias »
All these Ostler fans need to get off their high horse and respect real club legends like Jeffreys and Sharpe  :lol:

We'd have a cracking five a side team if we added Shackwell and Johnston to those three!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 18, 2022, 10:49:05 am by Bentley Bullet »
Not forgetting Bobby Gilfinnan.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 18, 2022, 11:02:33 am by RobTheRover »

He was an absolutely pearl of a player for us.

I liked the partnership he created with the Afrodisiac Goal Machine.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 18, 2022, 12:30:05 pm by jmt23 »
  :lol:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 18, 2022, 01:31:45 pm by drfchound »
What about that left back we had, was it Evian.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012