Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 03:34:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I’m not getting overconfident but  (Read 2770 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
I’m not getting overconfident but
« on August 18, 2022, 08:17:45 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Do you think there is a club in this division with a better squad than we have, when everybody is fit?
I can’t think of one. Yes here and there it could be improved. In the striking positions, I think another goalscorer would help us, if Miller picks up an injury then all of a sudden I think we are light up there.

Could Agard do what Miller does, score most weeks?
Josh Andrews has potential but is a young guy learning his game.
Hopefully Miller stays fit because I see that as our one potential glaring weakness. I would like someone of a similar profile to Miller in and around the squad. Could it be another free transfer, or more unlikely a loan?

For me we need a bit of experience but still only young. Agard could well be able to do the job of chipping in with a fair few goals. I think another one in would give us the ability to rotate strikers and be confident about doing so.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

philsky

• Forum Member
Re: I’m not getting overconfident but
« Reply #1 on August 18, 2022, 08:48:54 am by philsky »
Do you think there is a club in this division with a better squad than we have, when everybody is fit?
I can’t think of one. Yes here and there it could be improved. In the striking positions, I think another goalscorer would help us, if Miller picks up an injury then all of a sudden I think we are light up there.

Hopefully Miller stays fit because I see that as our one potential glaring weakness. I would like someone of a similar profile to Miller in and around the squad. Could it be another free transfer, or more unlikely a loan?

For me we need a bit of experience but still only young. Agard could well be able to do the job of chipping in with a fair few goals. I think another one in would give us the ability to rotate strikers and be confident about doing so.

Don't forget Griffiths.

We finally have a decent sized squad with good back-up in most positions. Anderson came in after an injury and it was seamless.

We also have the diversity to enable us to change the style of play too.

Been a few years since it's been like this.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 18, 2022, 08:58:54 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I had forgot Griffiths to be honest. But I do think the other forwards are going to have to chip in with goals, as Agard has so far. Griffiths has so much potential, he’s just not managed to fulfill that so far. He has most of the things a good striker needs to do well. He needs to get fit and start scoring some goals. If Griffiths is out for a while either bring a loan in or give young Goodman opportunities.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 18, 2022, 09:12:27 am by Avsuptem »
It's an interesting conjecture. Our results so far would suggest we have a stong squad and the fact that Agard has such a good minutes played per goal stat (21) indicates we have the depth striker wise. All teams have injuries and suspensions and to me the question is have we just been incredibly fortunate in our 4 games or are we genuinely the team to be feared in this league ? It's too early to know but Saturday will be a litmus test.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:15:25 am by Avsuptem »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 18, 2022, 09:16:48 am by NickDRFC »
“ Could Agard do what Miller does, score most weeks?”

Not sure this is the best comparison to make, Miller’s 2 goals have come in 360 minutes whilst Agard has 2 in about 12% of the playing time - 41 minutes!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 18, 2022, 10:41:21 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Don't forget Griffiths.

We finally have a decent sized squad with good back-up in most positions. Anderson came in after an injury and it was seamless.

That's a great word 'diversity'. We do have a number of attacking options. A number of different combinations and I don't think we've seen the full potential of that even with Griffiths out for some time. Sure, I think we would all prefer on the deck football, even to the point of playing with a false no 9 if we needed to.

I'm not sure GM will be in too much of a hurry to add to the attacking ranks just yet.

Yes, We're probably a little nervous should anything happen to Clayton however, with Close said to be close, GM just might keep his powder dry until he knows what impact Close can make.

There's 10 or so days of the window left and I have a suspicion GM and Copps will have a plan up their sleeve should the feel they need to act even before deciding who might be sent out on loan etc.

The base or anchor of midfield could be the position he thinks needs reinforcing. Different combinations could possibly make up for the absence of Clayton but does he want to take that risk? Time will tell.

There's still scope for plenty of development as games go by as we've yet to see the team fully gell and seen the full potential.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 18, 2022, 10:43:31 am by rover-n-out »
Don't know why, I have a gut feeling Agard could be our top scorer this season, I love some of the runs he makes, and the position's he finds for himself. I think once the midfield and our wide players cotton on to what he's doing, he'll get plenty of chances to get goals. As I say, just a gut feeling!

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 18, 2022, 11:17:44 am by DMnumber4 »
Last time Rovers were in this league, four players hit double figures. Does this current crop have a quartet to replicate the feats of:

Marquis - 26 (45 apps)
Rowe - 13 (46 apps) *career best*
Williams - 11 (37 apps)
Coppinger - 10 (39 apps)

Best goalscoring seasons:
Miller - 12 league goals (21/22)
Agard - 22 league goals (13/14)
Tomlin - 11 league goals (12/13)
Taylor - 11 league goals (15/16)

What are Chris Brown and Akinfenwa up to these days?!  :chair:

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 18, 2022, 11:27:21 am by ncRover »
I like Agard and think he is a great option off the bench but he doesn’t really have the pace / pressing intensity that Miller does.

Our attacking approach would have to change if Miller was out, although he seems a very fit and solid player so unlikely.

That being said: 20 goals for Agard last time he was at L2 level.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 18, 2022, 12:27:46 pm by RoversAlias »
Miller and Molyneux both hit double figures in this league last season. Rowe is definitely capable of it, he managed a decent return for us last season at a higher level.

Time will tell who else can step up. Hurst, Taylor (I know), Tomlin may all be able to. Copps hit his best ever goal return when we were last in League Two, because he was a player with the quality to play higher and so was able to show that quality, as we should expect from Tomlin if he can play 35+ games.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 18, 2022, 01:27:57 pm by Chris Black come back »
I get the wider point but Molyneux scored 8 league goals last season.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 18, 2022, 01:51:01 pm by philsky »

Don't forget Griffiths.

That's a great word 'diversity'. We do have a number of attacking options. A number of different combinations and I don't think we've seen the full potential of that even with Griffiths out for some time. Sure, I think we would all prefer on the deck football, even to the point of playing with a false no 9 if we needed to.

I'm not sure GM will be in too much of a hurry to add to the attacking ranks just yet.

Yes, We're probably a little nervous should anything happen to Clayton however, with Close said to be close, GM just might keep his powder dry until he knows what impact Close can make.

There's 10 or so days of the window left and I have a suspicion GM and Copps will have a plan up their sleeve should the feel they need to act even before deciding who might be sent out on loan etc.

The base or anchor of midfield could be the position he thinks needs reinforcing. Different combinations could possibly make up for the absence of Clayton but does he want to take that risk? Time will tell.

There's still scope for plenty of development as games go by as we've yet to see the team fully gell and seen the full potential.

Actually, yes, Clayton is pivotal just now so we need a working back up and maybe Close is the thinking

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 18, 2022, 02:35:24 pm by Bessie Red »
The way I see it is that we are well served in most positions. GK - Mitchell/Jones, Mitchell no 1 but Jones is a capable back up at lge 2 emergency loan available if reqd.
Lb/Rb - we are light in both positions but do have options to fill in if Knoyle or Maxwell are injured, Rb I would maybe get a loanee in this window.
CB - okay at the mo with Long & Faulkner still available in the absence of Olowu & Younger, possible a loan added this window.
Midfield, well covered in this area with Close nearly ready again possible loanee this window.
Forwards fine for time being with Taylor almost ready, Reo to come back soon, Kaleyu now proving that he is capable.
All in all I believe we should maybe, if possible look for 6 month loans for Rb, Cb and a midfielder (let GMc & Copps decide what type). So that would leave space for 1 more loanee if the recruitment team wish to have a full compliment. That would cover us up to Jan 23, then depending on where we are and what the fitness/injury status of the squad is, we should buy additional permanent young hungry players (no. dependent on our circumstances at the time) to fill the squad with what I would hope would be a decent Jan budget held back for that precise purpose and release any of the loans picked up in this window which were deemed surplus to requirements. Simples!!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 18, 2022, 03:04:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
I don’t think McSheffrey rates him much but Seaman is the right back cover in the squad. 

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 18, 2022, 03:05:43 pm by Bessie Red »
I don’t think McSheffrey rates him much but Seaman is the right back cover in the squad. 
True so maybe a Rb cover not reqd in this window.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 18, 2022, 04:17:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think Seaman may well be one of the ‘fringe players’ that GM refers to when speaking about players going either on loan or on permanent deals elsewhere?
Personally, I don’t think he’s a right back at all and midfield or wingback is more suited to him.

Wasn’t Younger covering rb before he got injured?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 18, 2022, 06:02:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
Think he is out for a while sadly.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 18, 2022, 06:37:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
I realise that, cbcb, but Younger may well have been GM’s preference anyway. Hard to tell, as Seaman was crocked at Thorne and that put him back a bit.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 18, 2022, 08:02:59 pm by ncRover »
Seaman has poor defensive awareness for me. If Knoyle got injured we’d need loan cover.

I like his directness as a winger but we have plenty of them.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 18, 2022, 09:10:35 pm by Alan Southstand »
We do have 4 loan slots available to us, but they would have to be very low cost options, unless someone goes out the other way!

If I were pressed, I’d want cover at DM, but a young loanee is hardly going to be cover for Clayton. So that’s going to be tricky. Close is not a DM’er or, at least, he never has been to date. Maybe Biggins could cover, or TR, but we’d need cover for his/their position.

Close is probably going to share the Tomlin role, so we would be covered there.

With a choice of Molyneux, Hurst, Rowe and Taylor, we’re probably covered with attacking side players, but with one proviso - that TR is not covering some other position!

Up top, we have no-one like Miller. Griffiths is a work in progress, Agard plays off the shoulder and can’t run around for 90 minutes. Andrews is still finding his feet, but again, a different option. This is one loan that we could do and create a new dimension in the team - a ‘clinical’ striker who has pace down the middle.

So, if we could do it, a DM, a striker and maybe a 2 footed fb who can cover left or right back. Total 4, I.e. Andrews + 3.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 18, 2022, 09:31:17 pm by drfchound »
IMO, there isn’t much point in bringing in loan players unless they can significantly improve what we have now.
Like we had with players such as Kane, Wilkes and Downing in the McCann period.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 18, 2022, 09:53:20 pm by danumdon »
IMO, there isn’t much point in bringing in loan players unless they can significantly improve what we have now.
Like we had with players such as Kane, Wilkes and Downing in the McCann period.

Exactly, this squad is now finding its feet and has massive improvement potential as it stands even before you add in the injured players to come back.

I would only consider a loan player if he was better than we currently have or for an emergency cover. The cohesiveness in the team is important to maintain, no one wants to be stood down for a premiership junior to walk straight in.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 18, 2022, 10:00:40 pm by Branton Red »
I'm pleased to see the apparent end to Rovers reliance on young loanees.

Yes we signed some good uns - but we also signed some rubbish as well.

Advantages for me: -

- We have more experience in the team
- We're not having to replace half our first team every summer and can have some continuity
- More opportunities for our own youngsters coming through as the manager won't be worrying about having too many young players in the side

Anybody seen anywhere that Rovers have announced this as a policy going forward?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:03:14 pm by Branton Red »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 18, 2022, 10:05:39 pm by DearneValleyRover »
It’s going to depend on us getting players out but with Olowu and Younger injured it’s unlikely Faulkner will go. Kuleya has impressed when he’s come on so I’m not sure if he will either. That leaves Ravenhill and Degruchy for loans. I seriously think they want rid of Seaman permanently. Will those 3 be enough to be able to bring anyone in of enough quality to improve us?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 18, 2022, 10:07:27 pm by danumdon »

- We're not having to replace half our first team every summer and can have some continuity
- More opportunities for our own youngsters coming in without the manager worrying about playing too many young players

Anybody seen anywhere that Rovers have announced this as a policy going forward?

Not seen this advertised anywhere as club policy but i get the distinct impression the DOF might be asserting some authority here, which would be good for the overall development of this squad.

Remember we have some very good youngsters who could come in and make a case for themselves, (Kuleya, Faulkner)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 18, 2022, 10:56:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

- More opportunities for our own youngsters coming through as the manager won't be worrying about having too many young players in the side

It has been covered in interviews. Can't remember if it was Copps or GM who talked about getting the balance right and looking for potential in the younger signings.

They've already got half an eye on January with Copps doing alot of groundwork, tracking players etc.

If you search for older DFP articles, you'll probably find it.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 19, 2022, 07:32:55 am by Bessie Red »

- More opportunities for our own youngsters coming in without the manager worrying about playing too many young players

Not seen this advertised anywhere as club policy but i get the distinct impression the DOF might be asserting some authority here, which would be good for the overall development of this squad.

Remember we have some very good youngsters who could come in and make a case for themselves, (Kuleya, Faulkner)
Not sure if any of the senior management have stated it as a policy but they dont need to as we can see in whag has transpired that it is a policy, as it it is fairly rare in recent seasons that we have started with only one loanee.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 19, 2022, 10:55:20 am by Alan Southstand »
DBR, I thought January was a bad time to get anyone decent?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 19, 2022, 04:45:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
DBR, I thought January was a bad time to get anyone decent?

Only paraphrasing. Depends who's out there and available I guess.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 19, 2022, 05:53:16 pm by Upton Rover »
I think we are almost there with being a good team that could challenge for promotion, however I do think we are still a player or two light, we will no doubt get injured players as the season goes on, so would look at the load market

TinyPortal © 2005-2012