Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 02:46:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mitchell  (Read 2995 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Mitchell
« on August 28, 2022, 04:02:06 pm by roversdude »
Interesting to hear on the commentary yesterday that he kept 13 clean sheets in Northamptons relegation season.
The guy is very under rated in my opinion and is proving to be a top signing

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Mitchell
« Reply #1 on August 28, 2022, 04:12:31 pm by Jonathan »
Been superb so far this season. I have to hold my hands up and say I was in the camp that thought we needed a new keeper in the summer. But if Mitchell maintains this level then we absolutely don’t, he’s been brilliant.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 28, 2022, 04:39:14 pm by Branton Rover »
We haven’t had a keeper who takes crosses and high balls since Sulli & Jonny is still young and gets better every week that passes. I used to like  Marosi and preferred Marco over Lawlor who used to flap like a flying fish at crosses. It’s difficult to understand that we picked this lad out of the Monkey hangers reserve team, he could be the reason why we go up this season & that might pass some by because goals scorers get the headlines but goal stoppers go under the radar.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 28, 2022, 05:08:35 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Keepers, by the very nature of their position, are always under the spotlight.

Some can crumble under that ‘pressure’ (Ross Etheridge?) but Mitchell despite his ‘tender years’ as a goalkeeper seems to have ‘grasped the nettle’ & is growing in confidence & ‘stature’ game by game.

We might just have gem here if we, as supporters, give him encouragement when the ‘gaffs’ come & plaudits when he performs like Saturday.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 28, 2022, 05:13:25 pm by RugbyRover »
Very poor for us last season but beyond reproach so far, touch wood.

The new goalkeeping coach has worked wonders with him and I'd be interested to see if there has been a corresponding improvement in Louis Jones.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 28, 2022, 05:16:22 pm by roversdude »
I thought he did ok last season to be fair, especially with the team in front and won us points against Sunderland, Burton and Lincoln with some outstanding saves with shithousery thrown in
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 05:19:10 pm by roversdude »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 28, 2022, 05:18:43 pm by danumdon »

The new goalkeeping coach has worked wonders with him and I'd be interested to see if there has been a corresponding improvement in Louis Jones.

It could well be that the new broom sweeps clean.

We should also never disregard what confidence can do to individual players and a whole team.

Mitchell was never as bad as we all made out last season, with confidence he shows a new side to his play, long may that be the case.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 28, 2022, 05:31:04 pm by Jonathan »
Mitchell did alright last season. As said above, some really good games and some less so. But he seems to have raised his level this season and he looks like he has more stature and confidence. All credit to him.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 28, 2022, 05:54:26 pm by PDX_Rover »
He’s a good character too. His interviews are always positive.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 28, 2022, 06:16:03 pm by hamiltonrover »
He isn’t that young folks, he’ll be 28 in a few months time.
Agreed with all that is said though and he’s been good so far this season. GK is the one position where confidence can play a huge part in how good/bad you are, let’s hope when he does drop a clanger (and all keepers do at some point) he doesn’t let it effect him.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 28, 2022, 06:48:32 pm by RoversAlias »
Northampton fans think he's awful, because he made a series of clangers in that season he was there when they went down.

I think he's doing well for us, all things considered and he's definitely won us a few games with his performances at times.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 28, 2022, 07:02:47 pm by danumdon »
He isn’t that young folks, he’ll be 28 in a few months time.
Agreed with all that is said though and he’s been good so far this season. GK is the one position where confidence can play a huge part in how good/bad you are, let’s hope when he does drop a clanger (and all keepers do at some point) he doesn’t let it effect him.

I think its always been a given that goalkeepers don't peak until they are over 30, when we think of some great keepers for the Rovers over the years, Sullivan, Peacock, ect they were well into their 30's .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 28, 2022, 07:57:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
For me I thought he was a very competent keeper and didn't think the GK should have been a priority to strengthen.

Since then, and so far this season, he's improved. He's agile having more confidence moving around his area, anticipating things better. Now relishing the taking of the high balls even more. It rubs off. Our defenders have more confidence in him, opposition players are deterred from challenging for the crosses  so defending becomes more comfortable.

Now, although I don't think he's as good as Sam Johnstone, he shares some of the same good habits.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 28, 2022, 08:11:54 pm by drfchound »
I have rated Mitchell from day one of his time with us.
He conceded that goal against Rotherham which got a few fans on his back straight away but despite the baptism of fire he has done well for us overall, including last season.
He is very vocal and passes on tons of info to the defenders in front of him.
Obviously he has a better organised defence in front of him this season but his contribution has also improved.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 28, 2022, 08:29:04 pm by Barmby Rover »
He comes out, dominates his area and catches the ball. What I always like to see in a keeper.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 28, 2022, 09:24:48 pm by ncRover »
Who was the last good goalkeeper we had that was our own player? (not on loan)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 28, 2022, 09:32:18 pm by Jonathan »
Who was the last good goalkeeper we had that was our own player? (not on loan)

Arguably Marosi (I quite liked him and he’s done well since). Otherwise Ross Turnbull perhaps?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 28, 2022, 09:38:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
Mitchell performing better and more consistently than Marosi, albeit at a lower level.

First and foremost keeper needs to stop shots and control their area. He does this well and impressively. His distribution is poor but this is secondary.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:09:57 pm by Chris Black come back »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 28, 2022, 09:42:24 pm by Jonathan »
Mitchell performing better and more consistently than Marosi, albeit at a lower level.

First and foremost keeper needs to stop shots and control this area. He does this well and impressively. His distribution is poor but this is secondary.

Agree with all this.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 28, 2022, 09:50:15 pm by Spud »

Not sure how anyone can rate him as "very poor" last season.
Proper character & his stats, in some shite teams, stack up.
Keep at em Jonny.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 28, 2022, 10:55:46 pm by Panda »
I wouldn't have been unhappy if we'd have signed a new keeper during the summer.

However, Mitchell this season has been superb by and large and if he can keep it up he proves me wrong.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 29, 2022, 11:01:20 am by Padge_DRFC »
Definitely improved claiming the ball for sure. Shouldn't have let Stockport's goal in though through his hands.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 29, 2022, 11:55:30 am by danumdon »
Definitely improved claiming the ball for sure. Shouldn't have let Stockport's goal in though through his hands.

He's well in credit for us as things stand, goals like the one by Stockport will happens every now and then but by and large he's been very good and commanded his area well, good progress.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 29, 2022, 12:31:16 pm by Dare to dream! »
He deserves more money, apparently he is on peanuts.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 29, 2022, 12:59:12 pm by idler »
Surely it went through his legs.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 29, 2022, 02:10:56 pm by Jimmydee »

It went through his legs after it went through his hands.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 29, 2022, 02:15:08 pm by Branton Rover »
Gordon Bank’s couldn’t have kept us up last season playing behind so many none triers

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 29, 2022, 03:32:10 pm by POD »
He’s definitely started the season well, but then again so have Rovers as a whole.

In a losing team as we were last season, he would have been under significantly more pressure.  That translates into more chances created by better quality opponents leading to more opportunities for mistakes from the keeper.   

It was probably the same when he was playing for Northampton in their relegation season.   The more that a keeper has to do in each game, the more chance there is of him making mistakes. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 29, 2022, 07:08:05 pm by drfchound »

It went through his legs after it went through his hands.

Our winning goal went through the legs of the Stockport keeper.
Loads of goals go through keepers legs, nothing unusual about it.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 29, 2022, 07:14:38 pm by idler »
I don’t think that Mitchell could be blamed for their man poking it at him from such close range.
 The fault for the goal was before that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012