Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 11:22:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marvellous Mansfield  (Read 6812 times)

Panda

• Forum Member
Re: Marvellous Mansfield
« Reply #30 on September 03, 2022, 09:07:43 pm by Panda »
All i know is that if we were 0-0 in final game of the season needing a win for autos and Tomlin dived to win a penalty which we scored, nobody would be moaning about cheating. This is why most people, if they are honest claim the moral high ground with regards cheating but wouldn't make too much of a fuss if the above scenario happened.

Fans should be consistent otherwise none of them can be believed. Cheating is abhorrent, unless someone's team benefits from it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 03, 2022, 09:20:10 pm by pib »
Second best for large spells today, but I’m not too despondent. We’ve still had a good return from a very tough set of opening fixtures.

I thought it was won and lost in midfield today. Mansfield’s 3 ran the show, getting in our faces and finding space around the edge of our box which is where the two open play goals came from.

They are a very established L2 side and Nigel Clough has been building a team for the past couple of years there. They are obviously a settled and well-drilled outfit, and unfortunately (but understandably) we are not the finished article, and that difference told in the end.

I think all of our games so far have been quite tight and could’ve gone either way. Even though Mansfield clearly deserved the win today it still could’ve been a different story had we managed to equalise during that little flurry we had at 1-2.

In terms of improvements, I don’t like the Rowe at left back thing, and I don’t think Biggins is giving us enough in midfield at the moment. I’d be tempted to change that round, get Rowe further up the pitch and bring Maxwell in. Hopefully we don’t regret not bringing in another central midfielder on loan.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 03, 2022, 09:22:29 pm by donnievic »
Can’t blame the centre halves for their two goals at the edge of the box. Today we got it wrong in midfield. Hurst and Molynuex were never in the game. They had three players in midfield who wouldn’t allow us to play.
We should have change the system as it wasn’t working going forward or stopping them play.
Should gone to back three put Knoyle and Hurst or Maxwell  wing backs. Move Rowe in to just behind a front two of Miller and new lad Woltman:
Stretch their back three who were all tall and long balls wasn’t working.
We were beat by a better side on the day but we got the tactics wrong.
it’s ok you saying that going 3 at the back with with knoyle and maxwell or hurst as wing backs but who you having as the 3rd centre back???

For me we were just besten by the Beaton team
Today with too many players having off days,let’s be right though we have done well to get as many points as we have this season with the performances we have put,fans saying worst we have played!!!!hmmmm well they can’t of gone to the Sutton game and even possibly Salford or don’t they count cos we won.
  Fans have got to remember it’s nearly a new team so it’s gonna take time to gel so can’t expect things to come off or get away with things every game

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 03, 2022, 09:27:18 pm by redwine »
Two cases of poor defending on the edge of the box and a dodgy penalty cost us, and from where I was the foul on Tomlin was a stonewall penalty

Totally disagree Filo. I was directly in line and he was going down before any challenge. It was so obvious I was embarrassed.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 03, 2022, 09:30:48 pm by Spud »
It was a dive.He was lucky it was a yellow card.

How was he lucky ? Should he have got a red for it, if it was a dive?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 03, 2022, 09:36:41 pm by dickos1 »
Couldn't believe my eyes. McSheffrey actually made a double sub on about 62 minutes instead of waiting until about 75 like normal. Sadly to no avail but a glimmer of hope that he is starting to react quicker when things clearly aren't working.

I’d say he’s pretty much got the subs right in all the other games looking at how we’ve ended them

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 03, 2022, 09:41:16 pm by Panda »
Couldn't believe my eyes. McSheffrey actually made a double sub on about 62 minutes instead of waiting until about 75 like normal. Sadly to no avail but a glimmer of hope that he is starting to react quicker when things clearly aren't working.

I’d say he’s pretty much got the subs right in all the other games looking at how we’ve ended them

Depends which way you look at it. Making subs to rescue games is not a viable long term managerial tactic. I'd much rather him be making subs to see out games due to being ahead more often than not than have to make subs to try and rescue points more often than not.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 03, 2022, 09:56:21 pm by Branton Red »

I think GM should have been more proactive with the subs in regards to today's game.

They were better than us in the midfield. They closed us down quickly, had more energy, passed it better and moved the ball quicker to the flanks.

I felt we needed an extra body in there and should have made a sub at HT to try and become more competitive in the middle of the park. I felt this even more strongly 6/7 minutes into the 2nd half when the same pattern of them being on top continued.

Would that have made a difference? Possibly not on the balance of the play but something needed to be tried to garner some control of the game - it wasn't.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 03, 2022, 10:07:01 pm by dickos1 »

Depends which way you look at it. Making subs to rescue games is not a viable long term managerial tactic. I'd much rather him be making subs to see out games due to being ahead more often than not than have to make subs to try and rescue points more often than not.

His subs saw out the game v Bradford,
The games v Salford, Stockport, Northampton, the suns weren’t made to rescue the game, they were made to either win the game or hold onto the win.
That’s 50% of our games

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 03, 2022, 10:25:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
But he got it wrong today and that’s what everyone’s discussing!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 03, 2022, 10:29:17 pm by steve@dcfd »
Can’t blame the centre halves for their two goals at the edge of the box. Today we got it wrong in midfield. Hurst and Molynuex were never in the game. They had three players in midfield who wouldn’t allow us to play.
We should have change the system as it wasn’t working going forward or stopping them play.
Should gone to back three put Knoyle and Hurst or Maxwell  wing backs. Move Rowe in to just behind a front two of Miller and new lad Woltman:
it’s ok you saying that going 3 at the back with with knoyle and maxwell or hurst as wing backs but who you having as the 3rd centre back???

For me we were just besten by the Beaton team
Today with too many players having off days,let’s be right though we have done well to get as many points as we have this season with the performances we have put,fans saying worst we have played!!!!hmmmm well they can’t of gone to the Sutton game and even possibly Salford or don’t they count cos we won.
  Fans have got to remember it’s nearly a new team so it’s gonna take time to gel so can’t expect things to come off or get away with things every game
Donnie you asked the question I’ll give you the answer
Faulkner right Williams middle Long Left
There’s your three. Having watched Long against Newcastle in midweek he could have played left. Less we forget GMC went to a three against Salford when he brought on Long and we got into the game so it’s not new. He had to change it when Long got injured.
Wingbacks Knoyle.   Hurst or Maxwell
Midfield three
Clayton Biggins Rowe
Front two Woltman and Miller

Molyneux struggled all first half and so did Tomlin

It’s my opinion I just felt we struggled against the Mansfield team
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 10:35:11 pm by steve@dcfd »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 03, 2022, 11:05:33 pm by PDX_Rover »
Two cases of poor defending on the edge of the box and a dodgy penalty cost us, and from where I was the foul on Tomlin was a stonewall penalty

Tomlin dived. That's the flip side of him. Brilliant but also prepared to cheat. It'll make it hard to love him.

That said, their penalty was about as soft as one as you'll ever see. Lapslie ran across Maxwell and went down. Looked like a looked for thing.

There was an incident just after Tomlin was booked where McLaughlin goes down, simulating injury, insinuating Rowe had hit him. Right in front of the lino. Embarrassing. Should have been a booking.

Ref also bottled sending Lapslie off. Serial offender and a clear second yellow after he clattered Maxwell.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 03, 2022, 11:26:21 pm by karldew »
The second half performance from Akins (7) was as good as it could be, our defenders were sh*t scared of him.

I think I agree with the comments of getting Rowe away from LB. I think it’s not bad when defending a lead but at 0-0 he should be involved in the middle.

A sell out away at Hartlepool next up, they’re sat second bottom on 3 points and it looks great on paper to bounce back!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 04, 2022, 12:27:41 am by dickos1 »
But he got it wrong today and that’s what everyone’s discussing!

Well no,
I’m replying to someone who’s making the point his subs have been too late throughout the season so far.
And his other point was mcsheffrey only makes subs to rescue games,
So no everyone wasn’t just talking about todays game

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 04, 2022, 07:37:14 am by drfchound »

Tomlin dived. That's the flip side of him. Brilliant but also prepared to cheat. It'll make it hard to love him.

That said, their penalty was about as soft as one as you'll ever see. Lapslie ran across Maxwell and went down. Looked like a looked for thing.

There was an incident just after Tomlin was booked where McLaughlin goes down, simulating injury, insinuating Rowe had hit him. Right in front of the lino. Embarrassing. Should have been a booking.

Ref also bottled sending Lapslie off. Serial offender and a clear second yellow after he clattered Maxwell.

I said exactly the same at the time PDX. 

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 04, 2022, 07:46:47 am by Avsuptem »
The Mansfield supporters played their part in lifting their team's performance, got to admire them for that albeit begrudgingly.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 04, 2022, 08:26:31 am by Campsall rover »

Totally disagree Filo. I was directly in line and he was going down before any challenge. It was so obvious I was embarrassed.
I was at that end of the West stand and right in line. Definite dive and as you say embarrassing.
Such a talented player but wish he would cut out the antics.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 04, 2022, 08:26:50 am by Wiltshire Exile »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 04, 2022, 08:42:16 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
West stand linesman was useless. The offside in Agard was a joke of a decision.  Their man should have got a second yellow also.  Thought their pen harsh but can see why it was given, their guy won it well, as did Biggins for ours.

Overall Mansfield did nothing outstanding but every basic was right and that was the difference.  They were much more on it than us and worked simple well taken goals.  You don't need to be Brazil to win games.

For us we just had too many off games and the basics went wrong. We started the better but didn't maintain it.  Agree with others the midfield was lacking. Even Clayton had an off day but Biggins was very poor yesterday.  I still think we are short there until close returns (if).

But we will have those games even the best rovers sides ever  had those days. We just need to make sure they're in the minority.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 04, 2022, 08:49:54 am by andyst79 »
  Billy I disagree, he fell theatrically, but was caught by the tackle after pushing the ball forward out of playing reach of the player making the tackle. 
I was sat in the south stand 5 rows up behind the goal , I don't normally sit in this stand but I had a perfect view of the incident and the ref got it spot on . The ball was going away from Tomlin and when the Mansfield player slid in Tomlin blatantly moved his left foot across to him and went down and trying to buy the pen. It was a dive and yellow all day long.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 04, 2022, 08:53:07 am by Albert Trousers »
We didn't play badly but Mansfield managed the game better & in truth looked far better all over the pitch. The ref was very weak, Lapslie should have gone but would love him in our midfield, best player on the pitch by a mile. Everytime they came forward they looked threatening, our defence needs some work, granted people are missing but I would like to see Long get a start.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 08:56:53 am by Albert Trousers »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 04, 2022, 09:18:22 am by ravenrover »
There is one question to ask, was there contact? The defender definitely clipped Tomlins foot, the dive was theatrical but from my seat in the West, penalty

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 04, 2022, 09:34:47 am by andyst79 »
There was contact but it was Tomlin moving his left foot towards the defender when he had no control of the ball , the type of thing you see Ronaldo or Sterling do time and time again leaving a foot in hanging trying to buy the pen

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 04, 2022, 09:49:17 am by andyst79 »
We didn't play badly but Mansfield managed the game better & in truth looked far better all over the pitch. The ref was very weak, Lapslie should have gone but would love him in our midfield, best player on the pitch by a mile. Everytime they came forward they looked threatening, our defence needs some work, granted people are missing but I would like to see Long get a start.
He definitely should have gone for a 2nd yellow. I thought the referee did well until after the Tomlin penalty incident where he lost control of the game from there on

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on September 04, 2022, 10:08:11 am by Goole Rover »
Williams was at fault for the first goal in my opinion, he should have headed the ball out for a corner instead of gifting it to Clarke who was waiting for the ball. Admittedly our midfield should have been onto Clarke but this failure happens week after week this time we were punished.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 04, 2022, 10:57:49 am by Alan Southstand »
Very true GR, there is a gaping hole between the cb’s and our next midfielder (usually Clayton). Further, there’s a similar problem up top, where Miller has no support near him when he gets put through!

It’s not the system, it’s the personnel within it that’s not (or not able) doing their jobs correctly. Are we missing something in training? Either way, we are still missing a decent DM’er.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 04, 2022, 10:58:27 am by Panda »
Williams also at fault for their 2nd too. Casually letting the ball roll across in front of him instead of reacting and getting a boot on it. He just stood and watched it. Worst game i've seen him have i think.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 04, 2022, 12:13:08 pm by roversdude »
Refreshing to hear a manager give the opposition credit, GMc told it exactly how it was
On the subject of their fans - overall really good but disgusting that some didn’t give Sammy Chung the respect he deserved

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 04, 2022, 12:16:42 pm by eastender »
Williams was at fault for the first goal in my opinion, he should have headed the ball out for a corner instead of gifting it to Clarke who was waiting for the ball. Admittedly our midfield should have been onto Clarke but this failure happens week after week this time we were punished.

Biggins was onto Clark , but as played progressed he just went ball watching and let Clark run off him and into open space,  very poor from Biggins.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 04, 2022, 12:31:04 pm by steve@dcfd »
Williams also at fault for their 2nd too. Casually letting the ball roll across in front of him instead of reacting and getting a boot on it. He just stood and watched it. Worst game i've seen him have i think.
That’s not the case it went past him quick a good meter infront  of him. Both goals apart from the penalty came from two midfield players. Our two could not be all over Clayton came out to close others down only Biggins behind him and he didn’t go with their player.
Williams only just got his head to the cross whether he could have directed it across goal and out is debatable. If he hadn’t have got something on it then Atkins was right behind him.
We should have played three central midfield players aswell as Tomlin or Molyneux so we’re not out numbered.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012