Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 02:40:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Swindon Town game  (Read 3211 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Swindon Town game
« on September 14, 2022, 09:00:51 am by selby »
  We definitely will need to show more organisation, pace, effort and team coordination than we did at Barrow to get anything out of this game.
  The Barrow game left me thinking we have just gone back 18 months, a team lacking effort, any sense of urgency, and team leadership and spirit, all the things I think this team is better at than  what they showed in that game.
  Form is a funny thing, even teams costing millions lose it and have poor games collectively, the way they react to it is mainly the difference that puts them apart from the lesser teams, and that is what I want to see in this game both from the management and the players on the field.
  But as with any formation two things are needed, Pace especially at the back when trying to play a high line, and players to suit the system the team management set out to play, with the intelligence to be able to be fluid and interchange and cover players who get sucked into awkward situations during a game that are forced to arise in a game of football.
  We didn't do any of that last night, Barrow focussed their attacks down our left flank exposing Long's distinct lack of pace, Rowe is being turned into an average left back, when he is a far better player further forward, and until Taylor came on our wide players did bits and pieces but were largely contained.
   So what do we do Saturday against a team that play 4 3 3 according to reports, have just had a very good home win v Sutton 3-2 and have a substitute in Wakelin who has scored three goals a return that would have him a fixture starter here.
  Faulkner and Maxwell would come into the back line for me, the first thing playing the system 14231 and a high line that is required required at the back is central defenders with stature and pace that can tackle, until Olowu is fit Faulkner is our best player to play central with Williams, and instead of restricting Rowe's effectiveness in more advanced positions play a player whose main position is left sided defender to give us some balance.
  Taylor now he looks fit and is our best  wide right player and  would start Saturday for me. The big conundrum is where to fit Rowe in, wide left where I think Hurst and Molyneux could fight it out for a start, Tomlin or Rowe, Tomlin has not been great the last two games, but is a talent when on it, or in the Clayton, Biggins role in front of the back four, all roles Rowe is more suited to than left back as far as being influential to our game.
  Some big calls for the management, the biggest area of concern central defence on last nights showing, but a reaction needed all round including the management to get back on track.
  What do you think?
  What changes if any would you make ?
  Lot's to discuss about this game, an important pointer to how we react when things don't look so rosy and we have had a set back, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Swindon Town game
« Reply #1 on September 14, 2022, 09:34:31 am by sedwardsdrfc »
For me play the below. With a proper hard working 4 across midfield Tomlin can be free and also play players where they belong even if it means one of our better players is on the bench.

Could put Biggings in for one of Hurst or Moly and play Rowe wide left but i'd like to see him in the centre he's enough bite and legs still to do it.

Mitchell
Knoyle Williams Faulkner Maxwell
Molyneux Clayton Rowe Hurst
                  Tomlin
                      Miller

That said our line up isn't the problem it's putting whatever GM is telling them into performances on the pitch. It must be worrying that in all the games we can only have remotely carried out whatever plan he set in a couple.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 14, 2022, 09:55:44 am by Panda »
All i want is to not be completely dominated by Swindon for the first half an hour where they also take the lead. A familiar pattern at the Eco Power.

Sadly, you don't always get what you want.

Decent side are Swindon. I believe they have lost Harry McKirdy who i've always rated since he was at Carlisle so that is a bonus.

They haven't won away in the league this season in 4 and have scored 2 goals.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 14, 2022, 10:43:09 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I see us winning this game. Every team has a period of losing a few games. It won’t be easy but if he makes a few changes, I see no reason why we can’t get three points. We need a bit more attacking threat around Miller.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 14, 2022, 11:40:15 am by steve@dcfd »
                 Mitchell
Knoyle. Williams.   Long.    Maxwell

Clayton.  Biggins

Taylor.          Rowe.          Hurst

Miller

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 14, 2022, 01:14:57 pm by ncRover »
Mitchell

Knoyle
Faulkner
Williams
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins
Woltman (attacking mid)

Molyneux
Miller
Taylor

More legs and energy. Tomlin can impact games later on, we need better balance.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 14, 2022, 01:16:50 pm by ncRover »
The full backs also need to stay wide to allow the wingers to cut in. It was the wrong way around vs barrow with the full backs inverted and leaving the centre backs for dead.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 14, 2022, 01:57:46 pm by selby »
  Faulkner in for me probably until Olowu is fit or Anderson, then if things have gone right the shirt is there to play for and Anderson and Olowu would have to prove their worth better than Williams and Faulkner.
  I can see a reason for resting a young player like Faulkner if the club think he is being overextended, and when good players return from injury and show form. Long however is miles off the pace and will be targeted in games.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 14, 2022, 02:07:35 pm by EasyforDennis »
Mitchell

Knoyle
Faulkner
Long
Maxwell

Taylor
Tomlin
Clayton
Rowe

Hurst
Miller

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 14, 2022, 02:36:38 pm by Panda »
If nothing else, Taylor now has to start surely?

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 15, 2022, 12:40:52 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I would make a few changes for this one. Need a lot more intensity in the midfield, way too slow on the ball all night against barrow and then kept giving the ball away cheaply and they could’ve easily had a couple more. I think we will bounce back but will not be an easy game as from what I’ve seen and heard from Swindon is that from the first minute they have been going all out which creates chances for them but if we are solid enough defensively there will be chances for us on the counter, can see there being plenty of goals in this.

Mitchell

Knoyle Williams Faulkner Maxwell

Biggins Clayton Rowe

Molyneux Miller Hurst

I really don’t think having a midfield 3 of Clayton, Rowe and Tomlin would work (especially against a team who presses and have legs in the midfield) so for this one and from what I’ve heard about Swindon I’d go with a 433 with Clayton being the deep lying playmaker and 2 box to box midfielders in biggins and Rowe with Tomlin on the bench To start with. I predicted Long to come in on Tuesday and even tho he wasn’t helped by the midfield he was targeted a lot. Taylor came on and was one of the better performers so wouldn’t be surprised if he started on Saturday but think he will be on the bench again and come on for the last half hour or so.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 15, 2022, 03:53:47 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I would go with a 3-5-2 against Swindon. Foregoing a bit of the flair in benching Hurst and Tomlin. Looking for the full backs to create plus give that extra solidity by having an extra central defender in there.

I would play Rowe in his best position, creating in front of two holding midfielder’s.
Miller in his usual position, with Molyneux given license to roam and pull people out of position.
I feel like this midfield would match theirs, the full backs being key to driving the side and getting an advantage.

It isn’t a formation we normally play but I think it would work against Swindon. They wouldn’t expect it and think it would give the best chance of winning. If it didn’t work then you have good players coming off the bench that can change the game.

Mitchell

Williams  Faulkner Long

Knoyle.                                    Maxwell

Biggins.     Clayton

Rowe

Miller.              Molyneux

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 15, 2022, 04:03:16 am by Colemans Left Hook »
For some reason I seem to have a blind spot regarding our meetings with them over the years - we last played them in Jan 2021 "allegedly :facepalm:"

yet i can remember third division Swindon beating Arsenal at Wembley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNAh1nT51jg

the whole match seems to be here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah99SZP2il4

on checking our record against them we are their bogey team - ironically both towns used to produce there own" bogies"

they have won just 5 matches out of 26 against us

and their away record here is one win in thirteen matches for what it's worth

https://www.11v11.com/teams/swindon-town/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Doncaster%20Rovers/

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 15, 2022, 07:14:03 am by RugbyRover »
Watched the Barrow game and didn't think that they targeted Long. But they did target the spaces that Tommy Rowe left as he made those runs into the opposition penalty box.
Long ain't match fit and the only way he'll get that is by paying a string of games.

I saw Molyneux cut inside 99% of the time he got the ball. Barrow knew it was going to happen and had three defenders lined up for him. Someone needs to tell Knoyle 'cos he didn't seem to cotton on. Every time LM gets the ball Knoyle needs to be bombing down the outside into all that lovely open space.

Clayton is a worry for me. If he wants to duck out of the midfield battle and hide back with the centre halfs we have big problems. I'd also tell him to cut out that slow chipped ball up to Miller. Its food and drink to any defender.

We have no options in the midfield so Biggins and Tomlin get another chance.

I thought Rowe looked as if he was carrying an injury. If he's not right then bring Maxwell in. If he is then bring Maxwell in and move Rowe up and bench Hurst.

It was funny watching Taylor when he came on. He was moving so fast it was like watching Billy Whiz (from the comic). He put the rest to shame. Bring him on for the last half hour. Hopefully he'll be fit to start the next game.

Mitchell

Knoyle Williams Long Maxwell

Molyneux Biggins Clayton Rowe

Tomlin

Miller

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 15, 2022, 08:35:01 am by steve@dcfd »
This will see if GMC hides behind blaming players. Tactically and team selections in the last two games he has got it wrong. He says we were to open but he picked the midfield two instead of a good three. Tomlin can’t play there he better going forward. So let’s see what team he selects against Swindon we must be tighter and then we progress from that position. We can’t again be out played or out thought. If we are then he has to accept the responsibility anc not blame his players.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 15, 2022, 08:47:43 am by eastender »
All i want is to not be completely dominated by Swindon for the first half an hour where they also take the lead. A familiar pattern at the Eco Power.

Decent side are Swindon. I believe they have lost Harry McKirdy who i've always rated since he was at Carlisle so that is a bonus.

That doesn't bode well, Mansfield hadn't won away in the league this season (3 games) until they rocked up at the ECO. :coat:

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 15, 2022, 09:22:12 am by adamtherover »
Mitchell

Knoyle
Faulkner
Williams
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins
Woltman (attacking mid)

Molyneux
Miller
Taylor

no Tommy Rowe?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 15, 2022, 07:30:57 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

That doesn't bode well, Mansfield hadn't won away in the league this season (3 games) until they rocked up at the ECO. :coat:
  Get it right  :headbang: Mansfield had lost all 3 before Rovers and scored NIL on saturday - as i keep telling you they only have a 16/17 team squad.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 15, 2022, 09:20:07 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Mitchell
Knoyle Williams Long Maxwell
Hirst Clayton Biggins Rowe
Woltman
Miller

Tomlin and Molyneux were woeful in the last 2 games, need a bit more pace, more balance on the left with Maxwell in from the start and have a more compact midfield as Barrow ran through us far too easily on Tuesday

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 15, 2022, 09:55:58 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Mitchell

Knoyle
Williams
Olowu (Chuck him back in at the deep end)
Maxwell (a must in my opinion)

Biggins (CDM)
Rowe
Tomlin

Molyneux
Miller
Taylor

Personally I think Clayton playing to deep is holding us back massively. We have gaping holes in midfield and are easy to play through.

I think we all recognise rowe is wasted as LB.

If we play 4-3-3 we need our full backs to get up and overlap the wide men. Knoyle can do that, Tommy can’t so maxwell needs to come back in.

I’m sure we won’t get anything close to this but it’s how I would set us up.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 16, 2022, 08:24:35 am by Campsall rover »
Why was Maxwell left out of the team after we had such a solid start to the season with him in the starting line up?
If the reason is to accommodate Tommy Rowe into the team then that’s very poor management imo.
Square pegs into round holes comes to mind and we have been there before with that one.
If he prefers Biggins, Tomlin & Hurst then Tommy will have to sit on the bench.

Personally I would play Tommy in place of Hurst on Saturday and Taylor in place of Molyneux. Use those two off the bench as impact players if needed.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 16, 2022, 10:17:02 am by ncRover »
Mitchell

Knoyle
Faulkner
Williams
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins
Woltman (attacking mid)

Molyneux
Miller
Taylor

no Tommy Rowe?

Out of form (probably from confusion). Squandered his chance and an opportunity to set one up Tuesday.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 16, 2022, 10:19:22 am by DearneValleyRover »
Reading McSheffrey’s comments about Close in the DFP I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in some capacity tomorrow plus Olowu in the starting lineup. If they are fit they should play

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 16, 2022, 11:13:01 am by pib »
I must be the only person who thought Long was actually OK on Tuesday. Both centre halves had a tough night as our full backs both played so high up the pitch, meaning the CB's were exposed when they counter attacked on the wings. With that in mind, I didn't think he did too bad.

Personally I'd like to see Maxwell back in, Rowe in midfield, and maybe Taylor brought into the XI if he's ready. For me, Biggins hasn't done enough to keep his place, and I'd be seriously questioning starting Tomlin every week. If we're the dominant team and have most of the possession he's one you'd look to start, but off the ball gives us very little and we could get overrun in midfield again like the Mansfield game if he starts this one. Plus is he really a player we can be expecting to start every game?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 16, 2022, 04:51:36 pm by Campsall rover »
Long does not not look as quick as Faulkner based on Tuesday nights game.
Having said that Long had to do the job of 2 players as we had no left back.
Where Tommy Rowe was I honestly don’t know but he wasn’t doing his job.
It is quite obvious to me he doesn’t enjoy playing in that position and with us having a perfectly capable left back in Maxwell doesn’t need to play there.

If Maxwell is not back in the team tomorrow ( unless he is not fit ) then GM needs to find another job because if he can’t see what just about everyone else can see then he is not going to make a manager in league football.

I have backed GM 100% but he needs to get wise and act upon what is blatantly obvious.  He has 4 games imo to get this team playing the way it is capable of playing.
Swindon & Crawley at home.
Rochdale & Hartlepool away. 
4 winnable games which if we don’t get 10 points from will be very disappointing.

We need to see performances 90+ min performances. We are not going to get away with playing for 30 mins a game over 46 games.
Do that and we will not finish in the top 12 let alone top 7.

This squad should be top 3 this season. There is no excuse.
If we are not in top 7 at end of October then GM has to go imo.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:58:43 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 16, 2022, 07:03:12 pm by scawsby steve »
With our obvious lack of energy in midfield, my main worry tomorrow is Jonny Williams. He's a real livewire, and if he gets hold of midfield he'll run us ragged.

Also, if he plays, Mathieu Baudry will be up for it against his old club.

Another good signing is Luke Jephcott, on loan from Plymouth.

Although they've made a somewhat indifferent start to the season, I still think Swindon are a good team, and we'll have to be vastly improved tomorrow to avoid a 3rd successive defeat.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 16, 2022, 07:38:00 pm by Panda »
I think expecting us to be top 3 this season is stretching it somewhat. I'd maybe agree if we had a fully fit squad but other teams have spent more and also harbour promotion ambitions. I certainly have no expectations of a top 3 finish, although it is certainly attainable.

I'd say a play off spot would be the minimum expected of GM this season and if we aren't in the top 8 by Christmas then get rid.

I also want to see a style of play and enjoy some dominant home performances instead of our usual home tactics which is to play on the counter attack.

Get Maxwell back in tomorrow and shove Rowe into a more aggressive, attacking role.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 16, 2022, 07:42:49 pm by Campsall rover »
I think expecting us to be top 3 this season is stretching it somewhat. I'd maybe agree if we had a fully fit squad but other teams have spent more and also harbour promotion ambitions. I certainly have no expectations of a top 3 finish, although it is certainly attainable.

I'd say a play off spot would be the minimum expected of GM this season and if we aren't in the top 8 by Christmas then get rid.

I also want to see a style of play and enjoy some dominant home performances instead of our usual home tactics which is to play on the counter attack.

Get Maxwell back in tomorrow and shove Rowe into a more aggressive, attacking role.
Top 3 is more than a realistic expectation imo.
Which 3 or more than 3 teams in this league should finish above us Panda?

The only 3 you could possibly make a case for are Bradford, Salford and Mansfield but I think we have a squad to match or better all those teams.
Just my opinion of course.
Admittedly a fully fit Anderson, Olowu, Close, and Griffiths would be significant.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 07:47:12 pm by Campsall rover »

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 16, 2022, 07:49:29 pm by Panda »
Stockport have spent a bit but haven't yet caught fire. Northampton you could argue would expect to be up there. It's a tough league but we should be in the play offs at least come the end of the season or it's a failure of a season.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 16, 2022, 08:27:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I'm with Campsall on this we should be pushing top 3. I think we have the players but even if we didn't the club has the means to be challenging it's just how we use them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012