Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 12:39:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Utterly woeful  (Read 6669 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Utterly woeful
« Reply #60 on September 17, 2022, 07:10:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can't really add much to what's been said already as the last 3 performances have been unacceptable.

Hard to put the finger on why the wheels have fallen off. I believe the players are capable of much better.

I can't believe you set out to play hoof ball in preparations for each game, but that's what we've been getting. In fact, it's not hoofball because hoofball teams try to pick up second balls, so what we're seeing is just aimless. No manager, no coach, no player plans to play like that surely!

Is the team becoming over reliant on Clayton and Tomlin with players standing back waiting for them to dictate the game? If they are then we're in trouble because Claytons passing and decision making today was awful. Rowe's gone in to sulk mode and the other players seem to be going through the motions too with no anticipation, lack of commitment to a game plan and desire to impose themselves on the opposition.

I've to date given GMC the benefit of doubt and felt he would grow into the role and become a good manager. Whilst it's highly undesirable to keep changing the manager, we have got to reassess where we are and shake some heads.

Realistically, it's only those on the inside  who really know what's going on and they will surely be asking questions after these last 3 dire performances.

The worry I have though Baz is were the wheels ever on? Performance wise and stats wise, we have started the season a lot worse than the points we have picked up. As soon as that flukey run ends, you get this. If we were playing really well and hit a rocky patch then ok but we've played shite and fluked some points.

Well, we were far from being a well oiled machine but there were some positive signs of desire and workrate, finding a way to win. Sometimes you earn a bit of luck and we ground out some results.

Unfortunately, things have gone the wrong way rather than the right way of building on that. We haven’t earned any luck recently by making average teams look good.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on September 17, 2022, 07:10:31 pm by mushRTID »
Of all the recent managers only Dickov have I really thought hadn’t got a clue.

McSheffrey is worse. I honestly don’t think he knows what he’s doing.

We must have a better set piece taker than Clayton who’s delivery’s today were dreadful.

He’s whinging again we have no energy, he has put together the slowest and most immobile midfield I can recall. James Harper would start with this lot and look dynamic.

I also thought instead of taking Tomlin off, he should have had Miller off and have Tomlin feeding Woltman and Agard to give Swindon something different to think about. Appreciate some might think that makes me clueless but Miller was ineffective again.

I’m sorry if this sounds dramatic but I can hardly recall any games of his tenure that we have played well.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on September 17, 2022, 07:15:38 pm by redarmi66 »
Its not the fact we have lost 3 on the bounce that worries me but its the performances. They have been awful. Ive got a feeling he’s starting to lose the dressing room. The players are good enough. But they dont look at it.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on September 17, 2022, 07:17:36 pm by Panda »
Its not the fact we have lost 3 on the bounce that worries me but its the performances. They have been awful. Ive got a feeling he’s starting to lose the dressing room. The players are good enough. But they dont look at it.

Spot on. My thoughts exactly about not playing for the manager. Can't blame them really. He's a dull as they come.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 17, 2022, 07:22:23 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Of all the recent managers only Dickov have I really thought hadn’t got a clue.

McSheffrey is worse. I honestly don’t think he knows what he’s doing.

We must have a better set piece taker than Clayton who’s delivery’s today were dreadful.

He’s whinging again we have no energy, he has put together the slowest and most immobile midfield I can recall. James Harper would start with this lot and look dynamic.

I also thought instead of taking Tomlin off, he should have had Miller off and have Tomlin feeding Woltman and Agard to give Swindon something different to think about. Appreciate some might think that makes me clueless but Miller was ineffective again.

I’m sorry if this sounds dramatic but I can hardly recall any games of his tenure that we have played well.

The way we play now is the spitting image of Dickov's L1 donny. Maybe worse because relative to the level we have better players now

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on September 17, 2022, 07:26:43 pm by tyke1962 »
It's one thing to get rid of the manager and I suspect McSheffrey is sailing pretty close to the wind .

However he has to be replaced which is the hard part .

Any potential candidates guys ?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 17, 2022, 07:28:23 pm by The Beast »
That was so frustrating to watch. Time and time again we get pretty average teams turn up here and we make them look like a premiership team.

We looked unfit, slow, disorganised and unable to keep the ball or find space.

We never looked like scoring at all. Another 90 mins with no goals for.

They were reading our passing better than we were, intercepting balls as soon as it touched a Rovers players foot.

We have a decent squad, we need a manager who can make a team out of them. And this time let’s decide who we want and go and get them.

With this squad I reckon it would be an attractive post if we offered it to the right person.
genuine question? Do we really have a decent squad. It’s seems to me we have next to no pace, athleticism or physicality in the team. We’re desperately short in centre mid, up front and fullback. It pains me to say that Clayton was floundering hopelessly today and biggins is a waste of a shirt.  Rowey took a knock and Tomlin not fit enough. I don’t rate any of our fullbacks (how knoyle got mom I’ll never know). And apart from Miller, who gets f**k all service we have nothing up top.
I was quite optimistic until late but have to agree with this. No athletism at all, look like a Sunday team with a load of lightweight kids all over the park, then 3 old heads in midfield who were good players in their day but legs have well and truly gone!
Be tempted to get Oluwu in the side ASAP, just for the pace and strength.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on September 17, 2022, 07:34:11 pm by Prez »
Its a dangerous game GM is playing and very foolish blaming the players publicly and not taking and responsibility himself.

They can soon turn on him, if they haven"t already judging by some of the performances this afternoon.

That perfomance was simply unforgivable.

The booing at the final whistle (which i never do and dont like) i have to say was perfectly justified.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 17, 2022, 07:40:02 pm by Jonathan »
Trying to ration my time on the forum at the moment for a number of reasons, so I don’t want to get caught up in the usual arguments. I’m with BFYP in so far as we can’t just keep changing managers every 30-40 games. I’m not calling for McSheffrey to go, but it’s impossible to defend today’s performance and even moreso considering the last one at Barrow was equally inept. We simply have to do better than that.

The manager, the coaching staff, the players, all are culpable and all have to share the responsibility for putting it right.

I like McSheffrey and I really want him to succeed, but I’m not keen on calling players out in public - for me that’s never going to help. That said, I do understand the frustration with Miller, every bit as much as I understand how frustrating it must be for Miller with the total lack of service. He has to help himself a bit with his movement and running, which has been really poor.

I don’t think anyone really comes away from today with any credit. Tomlin tried to make things happen but there seemed to be a lack of desire to make the runs and create the options around him. All of these things are concerning and I understand the negative reactions even if I don’t concur with the constant calls for sackings.

I don’t think it’s right or fair to just dismiss the fact that this same group showed some real heart and fight throughout the opening month of the season. I certainly enjoyed watching that but it looked a million miles away today, just as it did on Tuesday. Football can turn around very quickly and we’re seeing the negative side of that. Have we (and by we I mean all of us - manager, staff, players AND supporters) got the guts to push through it? A really big week ahead for us, as we simply have to see a big improvement at home next weekend.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on September 17, 2022, 07:41:55 pm by Padge_DRFC »
90% of the time Clayton takes possession of the ball in line with or behind our back 4. James Harper liked doing that.

We shouldn't change managers all the time. However we shouldn't have made Mcshefferry the manager in the first place. This demise is Blunts fault

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on September 17, 2022, 07:56:09 pm by ncRover »
It was dross last season. But we stuck with him and gave him a transfer window to implement his ideas, whilst also dropping down a level.

Let’s look at some of his signings and try to work out his logic in terms of a system and a style of play.

Biggins - signed as a dynamic goal scoring box to box midfielder. He plays him deep alongside Clayton in a 2, for whom Biggins ends up having to cover for defensively as his legs have unfortunately well and truly gone.

Miller - an enthusiastic, bright young lad. A slight of build pressing striker. McSheffrey adopts a system where long balls are lumped up to him to no avail. George has to press all on his own as he is up the pitch with Lee Tomlin, who has struggled for fitness all his career never mind now. His enthusiasm subsequently drained as McSheffrey unfairly blames poor performances on him rather than on tactical ineptitude.

Maxwell - our only natural left back who actually looks decent benched regularly for one of our best attacking midfielders.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on September 17, 2022, 07:57:19 pm by ncRover »
90% of the time Clayton takes possession of the ball in line with or behind our back 4. James Harper liked doing that.

We shouldn't change managers all the time. However we shouldn't have made Mcshefferry the manager in the first place. This demise is Blunts fault

Olowu needs to be back in ASAP to free up Clayton and offer an extra available pass.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on September 17, 2022, 07:58:41 pm by Panda »
On the subject of utterly woeful

Ro-Shaun Williams

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 17, 2022, 08:02:22 pm by StocksArmy »

Ro-Shaun Williams

One of the worst professional footballers i have ever seen. The rest of the team I believe are good enough for the level. Just being managed poorly.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on September 17, 2022, 08:02:38 pm by ncRover »

Ro-Shaun Williams

That’s unfair IMO. He’s been our best defender this season and was played today as the left side CB when he’s right footed. Because Long (another signing) isn’t up to scratch.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on September 17, 2022, 08:04:48 pm by eastender »
Out of all of his summer signings , not one has shown that they deserve to be playing in a top 6 L2 team, most of them have been over hyped IMO.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 17, 2022, 08:06:51 pm by Panda »
Footballers have two feet don't they? Although i take your point.

The last 3 games though i've no idea what has happened to this guy.

Against Mansfield he looked like someone had shot a tranquilzer dart at him from the stands he was that groggy and sluggish.

Against Barrow he was clumsy and looked all over the shop.

Today all the above plus just aimlessly gifting the ball possession by literally just passing to them.

On his game he is excellent at blocking shots and getting stuck in but he's so far off the pace he plays like he's concussed.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on September 17, 2022, 08:15:29 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I get not wanting to change managers every 30 games. It's not a reason to stick with one that just isn't working and won't work. It's a reason to put some work into finding a replacement.

Not enough to just see what CV's come in. Do a bit of homework and identify some people who will get a tune out of the players we have. That way we won't have to change every 30 games.

Keep hiring without much of a plan and we do have a recipe for constant change. We don't have the cash to burn through managers like other clubs

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 17, 2022, 08:24:02 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He isn’t getting the best from what he has. Put’s his best midfielder at left back, plays a system that doesn’t suit his main striker(Miller), who is continually isolated. With the players we have he should play two wingers. 4-4-2, get Molyneux on the left Taylor on the right pick Rowe and Biggins centrally and just have a go.

At the minute you have midfielder’s playing long balls to the striker because they are not confident of getting back in position. It’s a side not playing as one.
There are good players but not being used properly. He isn’t a master tactician just play the game as it’s meant to be simply. Pass to a red and white hooped shirt.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on September 17, 2022, 08:26:31 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I’m finding it hard to defend McSheffrey, we look devoid of anything resembling a plan or style of play. That’s down to him, if I saw a glimmer of lessons learned and only time required to gel then fine but he hasn’t, there isn’t and very likely won’t be. It’s all good saying get rid but unless there is someone out there that can improve things, big doubt on that one, what’s the point in sacking him?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 17, 2022, 08:37:37 pm by scawsby steve »
The next 3 games will give us an idea of just how good this manager and this squad of players actually are.

Crawley are 5th from bottom, Rochdale and Hartlepool are the bottom 2.

What's the acceptable points total from these games for GM to keep his job?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on September 17, 2022, 08:38:18 pm by Alan Southstand »
Molyneux? Can someone tell me what he’s done to still be in the side? Taylor on the left was sheer stupidity, then the other side was just as bad and he never tried to change it back! Lumping it to Miller a complete waste and we’re still doing it! I’ve had it with GM. Enough is enough.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on September 17, 2022, 08:42:03 pm by Panda »
The next 3 games will give us an idea of just how good this manager and this squad of players actually are.

It's not just results Steve. If we played like we did today in all 3 and won all 3 then IMO it still papers over cracks. I want to see some sort of a gameplan, more decisive decision making from the touchline, tempo, energy, lots of chances created, dominate Crawley with us being at home rather than the other way around, tactical nous, appropriate team selection with a way of playing that suits the personnel etc etc. The sheer number of things that GM still isn't addressing and cocking up is mindblowing.

GM has had his time. He's learned nothing and we are still none the wiser than we were when he took over in November as to his managerial style and ability.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on September 17, 2022, 08:50:14 pm by The Beast »

I'd be happy with 6, any less is not acceptable.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on September 17, 2022, 08:54:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

If we're serious about promotion it's 6 points. But as Panda says it's about performance. We need to be better in those two games and actually look like were the better team.

Even if we get 4 points or 3 from the games and are the better team and just get some bad luck that happens so wouldn't mind that.

Equally if we get 6 points by dumb luck and in each game looked the lesser side then the problem is just as big as if we'd lost both.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on September 17, 2022, 09:04:19 pm by Branton Red »
2 utterly pathetic performances in a row.

Swindon were a side completely devoid of any cutting edge or attacking intent yet won comfortably. That 1st half was so incredibly tedious - Rovers were terrible; Swindon playing pointless, boring keep ball.

14 points from 6 tough opening fixtures to this?! What's gone wrong! Yes in those earlier games Rovers were a little underwhelming but with several new players against good opponents that should be expected. There was plenty of effort and fight there alongside plenty of glimpses of talent in the team.

League game 7 we lost to a very good Mansfield team who were just better than us on the day. Afterward the manager very unfairly IMO accused the players of being "slackers".

Since which the effort and fight of earlier has vanished. Coincidence? Most of the team completely gave in after Barrow's 2nd on Tuesday - how we subsequently didn't concede another 2 or 3 goals afterwards I'll never know.

On tactics. It should be obvious we can't play 2 wingers and Tomlin in the same team leaving just 2 central midfielders esp as Clayton's so slow. We get overrun by numbers and/or has GM put's it "legs" in every game. Where's his solution? Dropping a 20-sum year old to play a 3rd 30-sum year old in midfield was today's answer.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on September 17, 2022, 09:05:00 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Hurst has been our best winger on performances. Unfair to drop.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on September 17, 2022, 09:06:05 pm by Lesonthewest »
Molyneux? Can someone tell me what he’s done to still be in the side? Taylor on the left was sheer stupidity, then the other side was just as bad and he never tried to change it back! Lumping it to Miller a complete waste and we’re still doing it! I’ve had it with GM. Enough is enough.

I expected a reaction today, & a change from the lumping aimlessly to a totally isolated striker. It's scary that we used the same 'tactic' as Tuesday. It's frustrating to watch opponents play with a purpose & an energy that we totally lack. Both wide players are lightweight & easily knocked off the ball.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:08:13 pm by Lesonthewest »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on September 17, 2022, 09:10:44 pm by roversdude »
I guess GMc will be demanding a reaction again like he has after the last 2 games…….still waiting

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on September 17, 2022, 09:12:47 pm by Panda »
Tomlin, Molyneux, Clayton - no pace

Biggins, Hurst, Taylor - not strong enough

Rowe just looks out of form at the minute or maybe carrying a knock?

Midfield is a mess

TinyPortal © 2005-2012