Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 08:23:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Utterly woeful  (Read 6714 times)

colincramb

• Forum Member
Re: Utterly woeful
« Reply #90 on September 17, 2022, 09:13:21 pm by colincramb »
All aside, one thing that’s as sure as shit… we won’t get anywhere near promotion playing like this.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on September 17, 2022, 09:14:18 pm by mushRTID »
I feel bad for him I do honestly think he’s a decent and likeable guy.

He sounds and looks defeated in his interview.
I don’t think he has the true belief he is cut out for this. That must be a difficult thing to deal with.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 17, 2022, 09:18:13 pm by jamesrover17 »
Out of all of his summer signings , not one has shown that they deserve to be playing in a top 6 L2 team, most of them have been over hyped IMO.

100% this… Hurst for me the best of a bad bunch… Don’t know where the love fest for Miller comes from

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 17, 2022, 09:20:26 pm by drfchound »
I wasn’t able to get to the game today and have just found out the score.
Reading through around ninety posts on this thread it is noticeable there is very little support now for McSheff.
Even the people who generally have stuck up for him appear to have lost patience.
Personally, I was uninspired when he was appointed, but not surprised when he was hailed as the outstanding candidate.
After the relegation and the way we performed after Christmas I thought he should have got the boot, but again I wasn’t surprised when he was kept on.
The club seems to be slipping into oblivion in a very Scunthorpe like way.
I think that we will likely slip further down the table and there will be a panic reaction around December time.
It is appalling how far backwards the club has gone over the couple of years.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:31:13 pm by drfchound »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 17, 2022, 09:23:11 pm by ncRover »
I think Molyneux has potential. Good pace and close control.

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on September 17, 2022, 09:24:51 pm by TommyC »
He just needs to go. A half decent manager gets this squad promoted.

A half decent manager would have kept us up last season. It was and remains an utterly idiotic appointment, especially at the time it was made. The back end of last season was shameful in how much of a wasted opportunity it actually was. And it's very clear this one will go the same way. All we needed was a manger who knows the game. A Nigel Clough or a Darren Ferguson or a (hold your nose) Steve Evans. But it will play out like it did with Dickov. We're stuck with him unfortunately.

I wonder which club legend they'll give a meaningless title to next in order to paper over the cracks in the cheapest possible way and appease the more gullible? We've done Wellens, we've done Copps....

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on September 17, 2022, 09:25:51 pm by Filo »

Doesn’t work hard enough, leaves the fullback exposed far too often

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on September 17, 2022, 09:26:54 pm by Panda »
Molyneux thinks he's akin to a L2 Grealish. I've yet to see evidence of much pace.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on September 17, 2022, 09:55:40 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I feel bad for him I do honestly think he’s a decent and likeable guy.

He sounds and looks defeated in his interview.
I don’t think he has the true belief he is cut out for this. That must be a difficult thing to deal with.

Agree with this.

If you sat him down and said write down on a piece of paper how a McSheffery team should play i'm not sure he'd know what to write.

If he did then the question number 2 is how will you make the team play like this. He can't have a proper answer to that from what i can see. If that wasn't a key part of his interview whats the point 

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on September 17, 2022, 10:05:48 pm by ncRover »
It's one thing to get rid of the manager and I suspect McSheffrey is sailing pretty close to the wind .

However he has to be replaced which is the hard part .

Any potential candidates guys ?

Neil Ardley ?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on September 17, 2022, 10:06:35 pm by The Beast »
I was really excited by the signing of Molyneux but I  have to say I've been totally underwhelmed, he's shown little pace or quality and has failed to impose himself on any game so far. I know he's still getting match fit, so deserves a bit longer to prove himself.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on September 17, 2022, 10:08:02 pm by roversdude »
If we were head hunting - Pete Wild

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on September 17, 2022, 10:14:32 pm by Prez »

The club doesn’t head hunt though. Last time we did it we got SOD 16 years ago. Pete Wild though is doing a great job at Barrow on limited resources.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on September 17, 2022, 10:16:26 pm by pib »

The club doesn’t head hunt though. Last time we did it we got SOD 16 years ago. Pete Wild though is doing a great job at Barrow on limited resources.

And he just signed a new 5 year deal a few days ago.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on September 17, 2022, 10:18:12 pm by mushRTID »
Pete Wild would have been good and was brought up in conversations last year (admittedly I didn’t know too much about him at the time).

But we’ve missed the boat with that one, as usual.

We should be looking for the next Pete Wild.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on September 17, 2022, 10:20:07 pm by tyke1962 »
 :blush:
I wasn’t able to get to the game today and have just found out the score.
Reading through around ninety posts on this thread it is noticeable there is very little support now for McSheff.
Even the people who generally have stuck up for him appear to have lost patience.
Personally, I was uninspired when he was appointed, but not surprised when he was hailed as the outstanding candidate.
After the relegation and the way we performed after Christmas I thought he should have got the boot, but again I wasn’t surprised when he was kept on.
The club seems to be slipping into oblivion in a very Scunthorpe like way.
I think that we will likely slip further down the table and there will be a panic reaction around December time.
It is appalling how far backwards the club has gone over the couple of years.

Hound both our clubs are coming off the back of catastrophic season's last time out .

Very often it leaves scars going in to the next campaign , it's more likely to still have those scars if the manager and his staff remain from the previous season .

Sometimes a squad rebuild and fresh faces are only 50% of it .

It's not the worst idea sometimes following relegation make the change in the summer .

New ideas and a different perspective to go with the new players .

Scratching around in league two isn't good enough for Rovers and you are massively underachieving if that's to be the case .

It's not 1997 at a crumbling Belle Vue with you know who running it .

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on September 17, 2022, 10:21:16 pm by Panda »
Said it last year when Wellens was sacked.

Luke Garrard of Boreham Wood would be ideal.

Worked miracles, gets on with players, knows his onions and Boreham Wood currently doing well again in the NL. Currently in 5th, just 3 off the top.

Their recent home game with Maidenhead saw a crowd of 800. I'm sure he would like the opportunity here to manage a bigger club.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:24:12 pm by Panda »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on September 17, 2022, 10:45:48 pm by tyke1962 »
Just my opinion but the not head hunting managers from other clubs in an extremely cut throat industry is a bit naive .

No disrespect but you know what they say about good guys .....they often finish last .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on September 17, 2022, 10:48:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Genuinely feel like forgetting my season ticket and just going to watch Rosso.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on September 18, 2022, 06:03:59 am by NickDRFC »
He just needs to go. A half decent manager gets this squad promoted.

A half decent manager would have kept us up last season. It was and remains an utterly idiotic appointment, especially at the time it was made. The back end of last season was shameful in how much of a wasted opportunity it actually was. And it's very clear this one will go the same way. All we needed was a manger who knows the game. A Nigel Clough or a Darren Ferguson or a (hold your nose) Steve Evans. But it will play out like it did with Dickov. We're stuck with him unfortunately.

I wonder which club legend they'll give a meaningless title to next in order to paper over the cracks in the cheapest possible way and appease the more gullible? We've done Wellens, we've done Copps....

If Wellens was given a meaningless title, 91 other clubs in the football league have done the same for the entirety of their existence…

We’ll see how meaningless Copps’ title is when McSheffrey does get the chop. Do we have an idea of who could come in to work with the squad and playing style (sic) at his disposal? That must be one of Copps’ key duties, admittedly he’s not been in the role long but he must have some idea of replacements.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on September 18, 2022, 06:54:26 am by Chris Black come back »
Different point. Wellens won League Two title with Swindon, EFL Trophy with Salford and now has an unreal record at Leyton Orient. Errrm, maybe it was us after all, rather than him…? Probably not but his time with us looks like an outlier.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on September 18, 2022, 08:02:06 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Was right to get rid of Wellens for us both just wasn't working. What i'd say is 100% with these players he'd have us playing better.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on September 18, 2022, 08:06:03 am by BigH »
Different point. Wellens won League Two title with Swindon, EFL Trophy with Salford and now has an unreal record at Leyton Orient. Errrm, maybe it was us after all, rather than him…? Probably not but his time with us looks like an outlier.
A bit of both I'd say.

Wellens's recruitment was poor and you could say that the club are still paying the price for that. He also made a point of publicly castigating a player who could have brought something to the team when we needed it. Instead we ended up with a Dodoo.

My sense is that Wellens thought he could bounce the Board into extending the budget and support him in getting a couple of proper attackers. Maybe if John Ryan were still running the club that could have happened. As it was, they didn't and from that point Wellens probably knew that, unless he and the team got lucky, a bad situation would only get worse.

That the Board couldn't see how this might unfold and plan accordingly makes them culpable. They made a decision not to give Wellens the funds he probably wanted - fair enough - but then didn't appear to know how to deal with the situation when the 'car crash' happened.

Wellens is developing a reputation as a highly capable L2 manager. How ironic that we could do with one of those now!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on September 18, 2022, 08:20:26 am by Alan Southstand »
Recruitment was poor due to the funds available at the time, BigH. It has become apparent that there were severe deficiencies within the Club, as the ‘root and branch’ study (post RW) found out and somewhat corrected in order for GM to manage.

As for castigating, GM seems to be a dab hand at it!

We need a more professional outlook on managerial appointments and this time wasting system of taking a month to interview ‘serious candidates’ only to appoint someone who was ‘enthusiastic’ is and was a total sham.

Both GM & SE should go - it’s simply not working.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on September 18, 2022, 09:41:05 am by ravenrover »
Recruitnent was befire vecause Welllens blew it on his first 3 or 4 signings

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on September 18, 2022, 10:30:21 am by Jonathan »
The league games that we have coming up over the next month are crucial. We need to see the spirit and desire return in the performances, and we need to see results too of course. Personally, I’m not writing McSheffrey off now. I base that on having seen performances improve noticeably towards the end of last season, and that momentum carry into this campaign where our results over the opening six games were by any measure outstanding, and the performances not as bad as people now make out.

Against Mansfield we were out fought and out thought by a better team on the day. The last two games have been woeful and you can see the confidence drain away. That impacts on the energy levels and we’ve looked really really poor. Taking McSheffrey’s name out of the equation, it’s the job of any manager (and their staff) to get control of that and turn it around. If the manager does that then people will back him and the club. If the manager fails to do that then of course that turns. As I say, the league games over the coming period are crucial. We simply have to improve from the level we hit yesterday.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on September 18, 2022, 10:39:10 am by roversdude »
I’ve been a big supporter of McSheffrey but the last two games have not been good enough, there hasn’t seem to have been any semblance of a plan. It really does seem like the players don’t want to play for him at the moment. Would give him a bit longer though just to see if it is a blip he can turn round. As said previously even if we lose to Crawley we need a dramatic upturn in the performance

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on September 18, 2022, 12:29:32 pm by Jersey Rover »
Trouble with GMc is he sets up not to loose.
Very negative tactics. Tasks our more attacking players with defensive duties leaving Miller isolated up top so we either lump it up and it comes straight back or try to play counter attack football.
Complete change of mindset required to save his skin

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on September 18, 2022, 12:38:54 pm by ravenrover »
Not only do we have towin these next 3 games we have to win them well, hanging on for a scrappy 1-0 isn't going to get people off GMc back. We need 3 commanding performances.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on September 18, 2022, 12:55:27 pm by Panda »
Not only do we have towin these next 3 games we have to win them well, hanging on for a scrappy 1-0 isn't going to get people off GMc back. We need 3 commanding performances.

I agree. If we did win the next 3 games and play really, really well there will still be fans saying it was only Rochdale, Hartlepool and Crawley so it should be expected anyway. However, we can only beat what is in front of us and if we do massively impress against those 3 then that would be something that GM has not shown yet during his time with us. That he can get a side to produce entertaining, attacking, winning football.

Never gonna happen in a million years though. We all know what's coming against Crawley. Crystal ball not required. I can't even say that i have hope or by the law of averages we are likely to play like Brazil and spank some team some day. Still hasn't happened and won't do so on Saturday sadly.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012