Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 06:55:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Managers  (Read 5693 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Managers
« Reply #30 on September 18, 2022, 08:14:46 pm by Campsall rover »
If GM is going to get his P60 and I don’t see it happening yet, then I would head hunt Micheal Flynn who got the Walsall job not long ago after leaving Newport.
He is a realistic target who I would assume consider DRFC a step up from the Saddlers.

Think he would be a good fit for us. Would definitely get a tune out of our current squad which is much better than the one he had at Newport where he did very well on a small budget. He would have a much better squad to work with than the current one at Walsall also.

What does anyone else think. There is not a huge amount of choice that’s realistic other than has been’s who are out of a job currently.

Matt Gray at Sutton United has done a very good job down there .
He has Tyke. Would not be a bad shout but would prefer Flynn as he has more league 2 experience.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 18, 2022, 08:26:59 pm by Campsall rover »
Another one I like although currently in the league above is Mark Bonner at Cambridge United.
He won’t be on a big salary and again although we are a league below he may consider us potentially a step up with more potential than his current club.
He is doing a tremendous job with the U’s at present on what will be one of the smaller budgets in League 1.

If we don’t go and head hunt someone,  then we are going to get a another  sub standard manager.
If we don’t ask then we won’t get will we. Come on Blunt enough is enough let Copps go and get someone who will invigorate this squad and get us back to League 1 where this club should be at least, with the ambition to get back to the 2nd tier.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 18, 2022, 08:47:20 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The fact so many of us are talking like there's a vacancy already, i'm one of them, i think means the writings on the wall for GM. A general consensus when it gets rolling is normally hard to beat as Boris found out despite whatever he believed about his own abilities/achievements.

The kind of turnaround needed isn't something anyone can sensibly believe will happen. There will be good managers out there a few have been mentioned here already. Most will be in work because good people don't stay idle for long. Hopefully were working on it and the decision will be made soon. Just feels like wasting time to give more time when we can see the ship has sailed.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 18, 2022, 09:08:48 pm by ncRover »
Do Solihull play good stuff? Ardley has previous experience in this league with Wimbledon on top of overachieving on Solihull’s expectations at present.

I can’t see us head hunting another manager from L2. We could be perceived by potential managers as a club on the decline.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 18, 2022, 09:22:30 pm by Thorney »
Would anyone fancy rovers trying to bring Des Buckingham in if we parted ways with GMS at some point in the season?
Young English manager who has been in management for a number of years. Albeit spent most of time in Australia and New Zealand but came through at Oxford. Worked under chris wilder and has been highly thought of wherever he has been.
Likes his teams to play attractive passing football and his teams to press the opposition. Its whether rovers could tempt him to leave his role in Mumbai where he seems to be happy, maybe the challenge of turning this club around and move back up the leagues might be tempting.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 18, 2022, 09:26:07 pm by tyke1962 »
Another one I like although currently in the league above is Mark Bonner at Cambridge United.
He won’t be on a big salary and again although we are a league below he may consider us potentially a step up with more potential than his current club.
He is doing a tremendous job with the U’s at present on what will be one of the smaller budgets in League 1.

If we don’t go and head hunt someone,  then we are going to get a another  sub standard manager.
If we don’t ask then we won’t get will we. Come on Blunt enough is enough let Copps go and get someone who will invigorate this squad and get us back to League 1 where this club should be at least, with the ambition to get back to the 2nd tier.

I was impressed with his Cambridge side yesterday Campsall and at times they caused us some real problems , tough tough game .

I was equally impressed with his post match interview and his honesty and came across as a very  intelligent lad , none of the football speak .

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 18, 2022, 09:38:49 pm by Panda »
He didn't say that they tried to play with 'personality' then?  :rolleyes:

I like Bonner too but the delusions of grandeur from some fans about poaching other managers from higher divisions is misplaced.

Doncaster Rovers have a big stadium but a relatively small fanbase, similar to a lot of League 1 /2 clubs and we are in League 2 and in a bit of disarray. We aren't that attractive a proposition to a manager who is settled at a club in the league above i wouldn't think.

Besides, i don't think we are that well run a club tbh.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:41:09 pm by Panda »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 18, 2022, 09:52:23 pm by Campsall rover »
He didn't say that they tried to play with 'personality' then?  :rolleyes:

I like Bonner too but the delusions of grandeur from some fans about poaching other managers from higher divisions is misplaced.

Doncaster Rovers have a big stadium but a relatively small fanbase, similar to a lot of League 1 /2 clubs and we are in League 2 and in a bit of disarray. We aren't that attractive a proposition to a manager who is settled at a club in the league above i wouldn't think.

Besides, i don't think we are that well run a club tbh.
What do you mean by “I don’t think we are a well run club”
Yes our management appointments have not been good or at least haven’t turned out to be successful recently but other than that how are we not a well run club?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:59:19 pm by Campsall rover »

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 18, 2022, 09:55:50 pm by Panda »
I just feel a lot of peripheral stuff around the club is lacking or not being as 'on the ball' if you like regarding certain things. Not necessarily anything to do with being run poorly financially. Our official website and social media output for example is dire. Catering is appalling. Club shop opening times are terrible. Most clubs open their club shops every day bar Sunday. Matchday programme i've stopped buying last season as it is terrible. Just feels like standards have slipped and there is no initiatives or ideas floating around the place.

I guess this is for a different thread though as these things wouldn't really stop a manager from joining us.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:59:12 pm by Panda »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 18, 2022, 10:15:44 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Done my ‘homework’ now.

Roy Hodgson.

I rest my case.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 18, 2022, 10:32:15 pm by roversdude »
Can’t see a manager (other than Evans) turning a job down because the catering is shite lol.
The club has potential and not so long ago was in the Championship.
Having said that I’m not deluded enough to think we would be a more attractive proposition than a league one club.
All hypothetical anyway because GMc is going to have a eureka moment and turn the tide

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 18, 2022, 10:33:00 pm by Panda »
Roy Hodgson?

Why don't we exhume Brian Clough and have done with it?  :lol: ;)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 18, 2022, 10:34:39 pm by Draytonian III »
Mark Bonner is not only Cambridge United manager he’s a Cambridge United fan, so don’t think we could ever prise him away

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 19, 2022, 05:11:10 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The club has no confidence in its standing in the game. Many managers would come here, the problem is the funding, they want to see their ambition matched in my opinion. That’s why we go for the cheap option. A lot of good work has been done during the summer, we’ve had a blip of three bad results. That could very easily turn to winning the next three.

We need to improve there is no doubt. I said way back McSheffrey isn’t the right man for the job, but I support him as rovers manager. He will be doing the best he can. Tough decisions need to be made on our midfield. I thought it would be our strong point this season, it’s turned out to be our weakness.

With the players we have, I’ve said it in other posts 4-4-2 would suit our team. Get Rowe and Biggins in the central midfield and give Miller a partner. We have to start holding onto the ball and creating quality chances. Miller hasn’t become a bad player he just isn’t getting the ball in the right areas.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 19, 2022, 11:32:56 am by ncRover »
Now that Griffiths is near return and Woltman in, a 3-4-3 could offer a lot of variety in attack.

Mitchell

Knoyle
Williams
Olowu

Taylor
Close
Rowe
Maxwell

Then take your pick for the front 3 depending on form.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 19, 2022, 12:07:23 pm by roversdude »
Is he though nc not heard much mention of Griffiths

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 19, 2022, 12:24:53 pm by ncRover »
Is he though nc not heard much mention of Griffiths

“Griffiths is about one week behind the others in his recovery and could take part in full training this week”

From DFP

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 19, 2022, 12:40:45 pm by roversdude »
Cheers nc missed that bit.
Did anyone notice Seaman doing laps with the others - seemed to have been blowing out his arse, looks really unfit

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 19, 2022, 12:58:38 pm by Panda »
Clayton also looked totally cream crackered mid second half. Really slow.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 19, 2022, 03:02:15 pm by GazLaz »
Billy Davies would get us out of this division.

And before anyone says ‘we couldn’t afford him’, he’s a football manager who is out of work. He has recently unsuccessfully bid to become manager of Hearts.

He’s a footballing man desperate to get back into the game & he knows the longer he sits at home ‘out of the game’, the harder it will be for him to get back in as his stock diminishes.

He’ll rattle a few cages here that’s for sure, but given the apathy we appear to have fallen into that might be just what we need to galvanise our club.

If you don’t ask……

That’s a random shout!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 19, 2022, 03:54:34 pm by silent majority »
The club has no confidence in its standing in the game. Many managers would come here, the problem is the funding, they want to see their ambition matched in my opinion. That’s why we go for the cheap option. A lot of good work has been done during the summer, we’ve had a blip of three bad results. That could very easily turn to winning the next three.

We need to improve there is no doubt. I said way back McSheffrey isn’t the right man for the job, but I support him as rovers manager. He will be doing the best he can. Tough decisions need to be made on our midfield. I thought it would be our strong point this season, it’s turned out to be our weakness.

With the players we have, I’ve said it in other posts 4-4-2 would suit our team. Get Rowe and Biggins in the central midfield and give Miller a partner. We have to start holding onto the ball and creating quality chances. Miller hasn’t become a bad player he just isn’t getting the ball in the right areas.

You need to explain this 'cheap option' to me Sammy because I have no idea what you mean. And I seriously think you don't either.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 20, 2022, 01:49:25 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The cheap option is getting somebody in, who will accept little funding in building his squad. The way to do that is recruit from within somebody grateful for the opportunity, rather than an established manager that will demand funding to have-a chance of success. No need for trying to talk down to me mate.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 20, 2022, 09:57:28 am by pib »
Not the cheap option, just the wrong option.

The guy has had long enough, and has brought enough players in, that by now we should be seeing something approaching a consistent style of play, or some features of a football team that you look at and think "this looks somewhat coherent and thought through". We still aren't seeing any of that, and the results are starting to show it. It's a complete mish-mash, and much better prepared, organised and coached teams than us are starting to make us look silly.

There's a lot said about budgets on here, and players not being as good as folk think they are, but fundamentally I would back a half decent manager to get a tune out of the players we've got at the moment, and make them look a damn sight more organised and effective than we have done all season (and last).

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 20, 2022, 10:05:27 am by Pside »
Not the cheap option, just the wrong option.

The guy has had long enough, and has brought enough players in, that by now we should be seeing something approaching a consistent style of play, or some features of a football team that you look at and think "this looks somewhat coherent and thought through". We still aren't seeing any of that, and the results are starting to show it. It's a complete mish-mash, and much better prepared, organised and coached teams than us are starting to make us look silly.

There's a lot said about budgets on here, and players not being as good as folk think they are, but fundamentally I would back a half decent manager to get a tune out of the players we've got at the moment, and make them look a damn sight more organised and effective than we have done all season (and last).

Agree with all of this. Spot on. Budgets this and budgets that,  when all said an done we have never looked like a team with an identity or a system in his entire time here. That is alarming with how long he’s been in charge. You can drop down the league and see team that are better coached and can tell the way and system they want to play. You can’t do that with us unfortunately

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 20, 2022, 10:08:48 am by silent majority »
The cheap option is getting somebody in, who will accept little funding in building his squad. The way to do that is recruit from within somebody grateful for the opportunity, rather than an established manager that will demand funding to have-a chance of success. No need for trying to talk down to me mate.

Sammy, whilst ever you're making things up, as you often do on here, then you have to accept that people will challenge you.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 20, 2022, 10:11:15 am by Avsuptem »
Anyone for Fatty Evans ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on September 20, 2022, 10:18:58 am by silent majority »

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 20, 2022, 01:16:53 pm by Panda »
God no. Not Evans. He's another one who appears to have been found out as one trick pony manager and his career is on the decline. We don't want to be giving him a job on his way down. Also, an odious imbecile.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 20, 2022, 01:49:01 pm by roversdude »
Didn’t realise that Neil Harris was doing so bad, wasn’t he the one everyone was clamouring for

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 20, 2022, 01:52:38 pm by ncRover »
We’ll only be able to head hunt someone who’s on the up from non-league, let’s be realistic.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012