Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 06:57:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Warne  (Read 5090 times)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Paul Warne
« on September 22, 2022, 08:19:19 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Off to Derby.

Be absolutely gutted if I was a Miller.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Warne
« Reply #1 on September 22, 2022, 11:10:51 am by Chris the Rover »
I have a lot of respect for Paul Warne - he has worked wonders with fairly limited resources. Plus he seems to be a good bloke and there aren’t many of them in football.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 22, 2022, 12:05:21 pm by Spud »
Agree with both of you.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 22, 2022, 01:24:18 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Officially announced. Taken Andy Warrington with him as part of his coaching staff!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2022, 01:34:24 pm by pib »
Had it happen to us several times over the past few years and it's not a nice feeling.

Can see why he's taken it though. Derby are in L1 at present but their ceiling is a lot higher than Rotherham's, and they seem to have been stabilised off the pitch as well.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Paul WarneBe
« Reply #5 on September 22, 2022, 01:50:32 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Be interesting to see how Rotherham go about replacing him. Will shed a bit more light on wether they are lightyears ahead of us off the pitch (which it has come to feel like) or if they just had an exceptional manager for the level and stuck by him.

If they spend a few months taking CVs we'll know the answer 

pib

• Forum Member
Re: Paul WarneBe
« Reply #6 on September 22, 2022, 01:55:25 pm by pib »
Be interesting to see how Rotherham go about replacing him. Will shed a bit more light on wether they are lightyears ahead of us off the pitch (which it has come to feel like) or if they just had an exceptional manager for the level and stuck by him.

If they spend a few months taking CVs we'll know the answer

As far as I can see, they haven't announced an interim manager, so I would assume that they are expecting to have a new manager in place by 1st October, which is their next fixture due to the international break.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 22, 2022, 01:57:46 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Ainsworth's name being banded around a lot. Not too sure if that's a good fit. Have to see what our resident Miller (Grumps) has to say if he happens to meander over here.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 22, 2022, 02:00:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Ainsworth's name being banded around a lot. Not too sure if that's a good fit. Have to see what our resident Miller (Grumps) has to say if he happens to meander over here.

It'd kind of match the rotherham Warne has got i.e. physical battling against the odds type which Ainsworth has done well at Wycombe.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 22, 2022, 03:33:02 pm by roversdude »
Can’t see Ainsworth uprooting and going to Rotherham

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 22, 2022, 03:42:20 pm by vaya »

Safe to say the Rotherham fans at work aren't too impressed by the possibility.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 22, 2022, 05:27:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He did well to last this long before being courted by other clubs.

Rotherham have had good value out of him so can't complain eventhough similar to us, he's jumped to a club not in great shape...but has much more potential, which both McCann and Moore did together with the wage packet that comes with the bigger risks.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 22, 2022, 05:47:21 pm by roversdude »
Plus he doesn’t have to move from Tickhill

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 22, 2022, 05:57:27 pm by selby »
  His stock is probably as high at the moment as it likely to get looking at their present position and even this season could end up a struggle to keep up, hope not, but could.
  And would he have survived another relegation? probably not, so get out while the reputation is at it's highest, I don't blame him.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 22, 2022, 06:33:50 pm by Panda »
Best of luck to him. Seems a decent bloke, done a great job at Rovrum so why not? Derby are still a basket case though and it is a career risk but one he feels he must take.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 22, 2022, 06:47:33 pm by colincramb »

Safe to say the Rotherham fans at work aren't too impressed by the possibility.

I don’t know why not. He’s done brilliantly at Wycombe on a small budget and has made them competitive in the Championship when they were up there and a highly competitive team in league 1. We all dream of that right now and we are frankly a million miles away from anything close to this and might never be again

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 22, 2022, 07:41:46 pm by CJK »
Warne has implemented a successful formula at the Millers over a number of years now. Credit to them and him for that, they're at the pinnacle of what they can realistically achieve, finishing 4th bottom in the Championship would be a huge success nowadays. Such is the funding gap now, I doubt we'll see the day where a typical L1 club can ever survive more than one season in tier two, like Rovers achieved between 2008-2012.

As already highlighted, his stock will never he higher than it currently is and he's got the opportunity now to make himself financially secure.

I've always enjoyed listening to his down to earth interviews, honest opinions and general outlook on the football world. It will be interesting to see how he does at a much bigger club with big expectations. It will also be interesting to see how the Millers approach replacing him. Rovers should watch that closely. That's not a criticism, it's just something that's worth looking at from afar, after all, we're very similar clubs in many ways, albeit two leagues apart currently.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 23, 2022, 06:37:44 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
How or who they appoint is irrelevant as no matter who it is, it will take time to determine whether it's a good, bad or indifferent appointment.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 23, 2022, 07:23:15 am by Padge_DRFC »
Probably doubled his wages overnight. Who here would turn down that for doing the same job. Done well at Rotherham deserves it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 23, 2022, 08:22:18 am by roversdude »
Quite like Warne decent down to earth and deserves a lot of respect for what he did at Rotherham-good luck to him. It’s a no lose move really for him

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 24, 2022, 11:20:15 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Warne has implemented a successful formula at the Millers over a number of years now. Credit to them and him for that, they're at the pinnacle of what they can realistically achieve, finishing 4th bottom in the Championship would be a huge success nowadays. Such is the funding gap now, I doubt we'll see the day where a typical L1 club can ever survive more than one season in tier two, like Rovers achieved between 2008-2012.

As already highlighted, his stock will never he higher than it currently is and he's got the opportunity now to make himself financially secure.

I've always enjoyed listening to his down to earth interviews, honest opinions and general outlook on the football world. It will be interesting to see how he does at a much bigger club with big expectations. It will also be interesting to see how the Millers approach replacing him. Rovers should watch that closely. That's not a criticism, it's just something that's worth looking at from afar, after all, we're very similar clubs in many ways, albeit two leagues apart currently.

you will find his interviews will be very different on Radio Derby ( i think the only other team they cover is Burton [with th pigeon on the pitch !!}   he will have to be on his guard - as i have said before he has a lot of old men - journeymen - and cast offs to manage   

he has to choose the right thread to stitch the team together and not get stitched up by them

it was only the other night a caller reminded us that the Stoke players would not play for that 'orrible X-Luton manager Nathan Jones who is doing Ok back at Luton

One day he might go back to Rotherham when they are a couple of divisions lower who knows ?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 27, 2022, 09:41:27 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Warne does his first interview today .. So we will see if he has re-invented himself

Now it's quiz time

Question 1
How many away goals have Derby scored inthe league

Question 2
Which team has scored the most away goals
In the league

Grumps

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 28, 2022, 12:18:35 pm by Grumps »

Apologies Monkcaster I've only just seen this thread.  Paul Warne leaves a big hole of that there's no doubt.  Plus, let's not forget, he's taken 3 coaches with him, leaving an even bigger hole.  What Warne brought was a certain ethos which over the years he was able to permeate throughout the club.  He wasn't particularly a football man in so far as selection, style, tactics, substitutions, etc were concerned.  All of that was down to Richie Barker.  Warne was the man manager.  He's a people person.

That said, the main cog in the machinery is still there [touch wood].  That is Rob Scott.  Scott is the Head of Recruitment.  That includes player recruitment and manager recruitment.  It's Scott (and his team) who identify and then recommend players to the management.  He's unearthed some absolute gems. 

Looking to the future, if the betting market is anything to go by then it looks like we've offered the job to Mark Bonner.  In fact, I know we've offered the job to Mark Bonner.  Whether he accepts is of course down to him.  He ticks all of the boxes and looks to be a younger Paul Warne.  Cambridge gave us three terrific games last season.  We won all three but, to be honest, it was daylight robbery.  They played us off the park!  I'd be delighted with his appointment but, there's always a but, I can't help but worry that he could be a one club man.  He's a born and bred Cambridge lad, supported them since the age of 9 and has worked his way through the backroom jobs to become manager.  I wonder whether he'd have the same zest and energy at a club with who he has no natural affinity.  But, hopefully, that's just my inbulit Millers pessimism - honed over many years as a self protection mechanism.

On the hopeful side, I am buoyed by the quality of our squad.  It's the best I've known since the early 1980's and players such as Barlaser, Ogbene, Wiles, Rathbone, Norton-Cuffy, Humphreys, Johannson, etc are Championship footballers all day long.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 28, 2022, 07:09:17 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Apologies Monkcaster I've only just seen this thread.  Paul Warne leaves a big hole of that there's no doubt.  Plus, let's not forget, he's taken 3 coaches with him, leaving an even bigger hole.  What Warne brought was a certain ethos which over the years he was able to permeate throughout the club.  He wasn't particularly a football man in so far as selection, style, tactics, substitutions, etc were concerned.  All of that was down to Richie Barker.  Warne was the man manager.  He's a people person.

That said, the main cog in the machinery is still there [touch wood].  That is Rob Scott.  Scott is the Head of Recruitment.  That includes player recruitment and manager recruitment.  It's Scott (and his team) who identify and then recommend players to the management.  He's unearthed some absolute gems. 

Looking to the future, if the betting market is anything to go by then it looks like we've offered the job to Mark Bonner.  In fact, I know we've offered the job to Mark Bonner.  Whether he accepts is of course down to him.  He ticks all of the boxes and looks to be a younger Paul Warne.  Cambridge gave us three terrific games last season.  We won all three but, to be honest, it was daylight robbery.  They played us off the park!  I'd be delighted with his appointment but, there's always a but, I can't help but worry that he could be a one club man.  He's a born and bred Cambridge lad, supported them since the age of 9 and has worked his way through the backroom jobs to become manager.  I wonder whether he'd have the same zest and energy at a club with who he has no natural affinity.  But, hopefully, that's just my inbulit Millers pessimism - honed over many years as a self protection mechanism.

On the hopeful side, I am buoyed by the quality of our squad.  It's the best I've known since the early 1980's and players such as Barlaser, Ogbene, Wiles, Rathbone, Norton-Cuffy, Humphreys, Johannson, etc are Championship footballers all day long.

Thank you for that!

Hope you get the man you're after. Read earlier that between Wood & Peltier there's nearly 1200 games of experience so they'll see you right for Wigan at the weekend I'm sure.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 28, 2022, 07:50:03 pm by Panda »
Bonner has done really well for Cambridge admittedly, although we did get a draw against them at the KM last season and pretty much annihilated them first half away from home before Olowu's loose pass led to them taking the lead totally against the run of play bang on half time.

Those performances against us weren't good but overall he looks to have a progressive profile at Cambridge but again, i'm surprised Rotherham haven't gone for a more higher profile, experienced manager as they don't want to drop back into L1 again with a relative novice.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 28, 2022, 08:53:54 pm by jmt23 »
Not sure that’s a good fit for the team you currently have. You would think they would look for a manager who plays a similar style the club have had good success with.
They will struggle if they try to play football in that league, teams have far far better players than they have for that. Rotherham’s current style can be a bit of a leveller.
Had you just been relegated again, I would say that was a  good appointment to begin again in the lower level in a new style and a chance to buy new players.

I know increasingly less about football with each passing year, I swore blind Rotherham would have been relegated with a record low point total this year, after that friendly against us - they are doing relatively well.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 30, 2022, 12:17:45 pm by Panda »
Rotherham allegedly after Matt Taylor of Exeter.

I have watched Exeter a lot, almost a second team for me and Taylor IMO won't leave Exeter for a job like Rotherham.

Taylor will be in the Premier League in the near future IMO but obviously not with Exeter  :lol:

If Rovers could be run half of how Exeter are run across the whole club then it would be an absolute pleasure.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 30, 2022, 06:50:06 pm by selby »
  Panda you live in fantasy land, they were elected to the League in 1920, and have up to now only played out of the bottom league for 7 years in the 1990's and then went out of the league all together before coming back to league 2.
  To say their position in Devon and their pulling power in a large area, their nearest local clubs being Bristol and Plymouth and considered local derbies they have been very very poor and have in the time scale achieved loads less than Doncaster Rovers who were elected to the league years later, and have had to contend with clubs in every direction in about a 40 mile radius, two of them Sheffield Wednesday and United two of the top sides in the country in their formative years and Leeds being one of the best in Europe  in the 1960s and 70s.
  Add the fact that clubs like Scunthorpe, and Hull City, Rotherham, Barnsley plus the Sheffield sides encroach  on our home supporters possible loyalties because of their locality and a large number of Leeds supporters in our area we have on the field of play and off made them and Pymouth look silly historically.
  They should be on a par with what Ipswich and Norwich have achieved.  And every local club including Scunthorpe can be said to have achieved more than Exeter City have in the football league.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:08:58 pm by selby »

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 30, 2022, 08:34:28 pm by Panda »
Absolute load of waffle.

Exeter City are one of the best run clubs in the EFL, on and off the pitch and have been so since they returned to the football league. What came before that isn't relevant and yet you are waffling on about it for some reason when that isn't relevant to the point that was being made.

The job of Exeter manager is one of the most secure in the league and Taylor knows this and knows he could have 2 really poor years and he'd still be in a job. They build from the bottom up, look after their fans and show a level of fan engagement that puts most lower league clubs to shame, including us.

You forget that it is such a long way geographically for players to relocate to and in one of the most expensive areas of the country too to rent / buy. This is why Exeter have a complex for players to reside in (digs) so that players are looked after and can be attracted to the club.

It is a piece of piss for Doncaster to get players in as Doncaster is commutable from most major northern / midlands towns and cities and players don't have to up sticks and move.

What Exeter have achieved in these last 15 years is impressive IMO.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 30, 2022, 09:32:37 pm by selby »
  He wouldn't be so secure if they had many supporters like you criticizing the manager before and after every game though would he.
 A few like you and he would be at Rotherham like a shot, and the best thing to come out of Exeter is Coppinger and guess where he ended up?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:34:40 pm by selby »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012