Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:36:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: We can't Judge GM till...  (Read 3701 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
We can't Judge GM till...
« on October 07, 2022, 06:03:02 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Think he's losing it a bit now. Don't rate anything he's saying here at all. Yes we've injuries (nothing compared to last year) but so has everyone else. Are we really not going to have an identity until every single player is fit? Surely the identity is something that is coached regardless of personnel?

Not sure we are missing 6 1st choice players either, certainly not for more than one game. If we are we've a hell of a squad.

Can only think he's feeling the pressure and trying to deflect. Not a good luck for the lads playing he's basically saying they are incapable of playing the way he wants so we just have to tough it out till the injured lads are back. Basically you lads aren't my 1st choice it's your fault we're awful.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/not-one-chance-to-play-my-best-team-yet-says-doncaster-rovers-boss-gary-mcsheffrey-3871744

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: We can't Judge GM till...
« Reply #1 on October 07, 2022, 06:24:29 pm by keith79 »
The same could be said about wellens. You could even argue that GM has a better squad.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 07, 2022, 07:06:16 pm by jamesrover17 »
The same could be said about wellens. You could even argue that GM has a better squad.

100% this… I still get shivers when I think about Matt Smith playing up front on his own against Rotherham at the NYS

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 07, 2022, 07:06:42 pm by Daniel_Smith »

On balance, I'd say he does have a better squad than Wellens did.

So let's get this straight then according to McSheffrey.

Who is to blame for poor team displays:

1. Individual player performances
2. Select fans who don't support him
3. Injuries

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 07, 2022, 07:27:26 pm by DearneValleyRover »

3. Injuries

Are we playing bingo?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 07, 2022, 07:35:17 pm by roversdude »

100% this… I still get shivers when I think about Matt Smith playing up front on his own against Rotherham at the NYS

Despite having Bogle “available”

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 07, 2022, 07:39:19 pm by Daniel_Smith »

3. Injuries

Are we playing bingo?

Well if McSheffrey were playing bingo, and not winning. He'd blame the bingo caller for not calling his numbers  :lol:

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 07, 2022, 07:46:18 pm by eastender »

3. Injuries

Are we playing bingo?

Well if McSheffrey were playing bingo, and not winning. He'd blame the bingo caller for not calling his numbers  :lol:
All the 9's Two crocked forwards.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 07, 2022, 08:00:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Clickety Click - your centre back’s fibula

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 10, 2022, 10:17:19 am by Daniel_Smith »
He's been at it again. Blaming the squad HE mostly recruited. Somebody please tell him to stop speaking so much with the press. Not doing himself any favours whatsoever:

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/we-cant-play-expansive-football-says-doncaster-rovers-boss-gary-mcsheffrey-3872751
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 10:30:20 am by Daniel_Smith »

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 10, 2022, 10:24:44 am by Dare to dream! »
I’m trying to stick up for GM but you can’t be coming out saying stuff like that.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 10, 2022, 10:51:49 am by steve@dcfd »
From the article above in the free press.
How to make your players feel good about themselves. Every time he opens his mouth he is being defamatory about players he signed for his squad. Sorry Gary just coach the team to play better make the right tactical decisions pick the right team so you don’t have to change 3 at half time.
Yes we’ve got 21 pts from 13 games we are in 8th place but teams below us can catch as we’ve played one game more.
Gary your boss said we were going to bounce back decisively we are not, we are not in the top three and we don’t look like we will.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 10:56:35 am by steve@dcfd »

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 10, 2022, 10:53:22 am by tommy toes »
Oh I don't know. A bit harsh. You go with the players you've got. If that means being direct then that's how it is.
You could hardly call the team who won L1 under Saunders/Flynn expansive

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 10, 2022, 11:02:24 am by steve@dcfd »
Also Message to DOF Copps have a word with the manager you were part of the selection team that brought these players in they had the right DNA. Stop him publicly slagging these players off week on week and get him to coach the squad/team better. It can’t be good for their confidence and mental state.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 10, 2022, 11:13:50 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Talking like we've got Sutton Utd's squad or are in a division thats a big ask for us to compete in.

Hearing him talk it's no surprise we can't play football and set up just to survive. It's all he's got. How do we improve if he thinks what we have isn't good enough for L2?? Mad man

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 10, 2022, 12:32:29 pm by ncRover »
Every team gets injuries.

No success starts with a victim mentality.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 10, 2022, 12:44:27 pm by Campsall rover »
2 thirds of the team haven’t got the technical ability?

What is he talking about. I have never heard so much clapp trap in my life.

So nearly all those players are not good enough for League 2 then?
They are not just good enough, but good enough to beat any team in this league if they are allowed and encouraged to go out without fear.

Yes Maxwell is young and still learning as of course is Faulkner but please don’t tell me most of this lot haven’t got as much technical ability as Orient and Salford.
He is basically saying the squad is not good enough for this level.
So Hurst, Molyneux, Close, Clayton, Biggins, Miller, Agard, haven’t got enough technical ability. He signed every single one of those players except Close.
That’s total rubbish, excuses excuses. Getting them in before the next set of dross he is going preside over.

He has just shown with that interview that he is not up to the job.
Get back to the youth set up Gary. Sorry time is up. That’s done it for me.

Oh dear oh dear. That’s appalling. He has lost it totally.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 10, 2022, 12:50:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Do you know if I didn’t know any better he is wanting to get sacked.

You don’t make the comments he has in the last few weeks if you want to stay in the job. Do you?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 10, 2022, 01:34:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
I don’t think we can really play an expansive style of play with the personnel we have got.

You’ve had 2 windows, GM, so here’s a thing - why don’t you sign the quality that you/we desperately need/want? Also - yes, it is hard getting 21 points, especially the way you’ve gone about getting them!

Past his sell-by!

Suffolk Rover

« Reply #19 on October 10, 2022, 01:37:07 pm by Suffolk Rover »
I just wonder what on earth you would make of this article if you are a player picking up a paper or reading this online. It's a kick in the teeth morale wise and makes no sense unless you are hoping to be relieved of your job.

I rarely get to see Rovers these days and went up for this match. It is not difficult to see why people are not paying their hard earned money to come and watch after the performance in the first half. Whilst the endeavour was much better second half, Orient should have been out of sight by that point.

This is not a league filled with quality and to say we cannot compete technically, is nonsense. I think it is time for the Board to act and I'm not usually one for hiring and firing. You simply have to look at the performance levels and ask is Gary McSheffrey the man to take us forward and inspire this club? He has answered that with abject performances, dire interviews scapegoating individual players and that article. 

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 10, 2022, 02:32:35 pm by glosterred »
The trouble with/for GM is that there is a significant number of people that didn’t want him in the first place. It doesn’t really matter what he does there will always be a significant number of people that will try their best to undermine him at every opportunity. No matter how many points we accumulate or how well we play they will still not be satisfied, as per the callers on R/S the other week wanting us to lose.

COYR

Sulphurite

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 10, 2022, 02:32:44 pm by Sulphurite »
He's a PFM. A dinosaur. A relic.

You can't motivate modern players by slagging them in the press. Simple as that really.

Look at Howe, Arteta, Pep... They never carry out these things in public.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 10, 2022, 02:34:30 pm by foxbat »
also , who is in charge of the player coaching as well.Hoping GM can sort himself out but don’t like the look of things at the moment.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 10, 2022, 03:36:29 pm by Lesonthewest »
The trouble with/for GM is that there is a significant number of people that didn’t want him in the first place. It doesn’t really matter what he does there will always be a significant number of people that will try their best to undermine him at every opportunity. No matter how many points we accumulate or how well we play they will still not be satisfied, as per the callers on R/S the other week wanting us to lose.

COYR

To be fair he has done nothing to prove the doubters wrong has he, apart from a second half at Bradford & a really good performance at Northampton, the 'football' has been turgid, boring, lifeless, tactically naive. Whether you didn't want him in the first place, or backed him to be successful, he has shown very little & his support is dwindling, whichever camp you're in.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 03:40:55 pm by Lesonthewest »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 10, 2022, 03:58:38 pm by Campsall rover »
To come out publicly and say most of the players are not technically good enough and this team can’t play expansive football is criminal.
He obviously doesn’t think we are capable of getting near the top 3 and is content to play the safety first football for the entire season.
Picking up enough points to hover around the bottom play off position.

He has to be dismissed from his post immediately.
Sorry not acceptable GM

Let’s get a manager with serious ambition to take us up this season.
One who can make us more than competitive in League 1
Some one who can work on a limited budget and get the best out of his players.
Make them feel a million dollars.

Our lot now must feel unmotivated with this negative dross he is spouting.

Come on Copps and Blunt act now. This week.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 10, 2022, 05:07:45 pm by Alickismyhero »
Camps,

I will be the first to admit Mc is pathetic at putting his views across to the press, as I have previously said.

What he says and how it is received by his players is decisive for not losing the dressing room, its called respect. Once that has gone its curtains.

I haven't enjoyed the football played recently to be honest but when Miller and Anderson get back its a better team.

I know I am going against the flow of opinion but I will be sticking with the manager and our team.

We can turn it around and we will.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 10, 2022, 05:10:50 pm by Upton Rover »
A person who as no balls, and just wants to blame everyone other than himself, I think he’s talking out of his backside, and after all he bought most of these players in, so it’s his fault. He goes down in my estimation every time he comes out with such pathetic comments.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 10, 2022, 05:16:47 pm by redarmi66 »
Thats poor communication with the press. Not the sort of thing that inspires the fans or the players. Im not sure we need to play ‘expansive’ football. But we need to play with passion, with tempo, with aggression, with urgency.  You know like we do for 10 minutes at the end of a game that we are losing!!  If thats GM thoughts on his squad its no wonder we start games like we do.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 10, 2022, 05:17:33 pm by Upton Rover »

COYR
I think at the time and the dire situation we were in at the time, many fans wanted a manager who hopefully had some managerial experience in the hope that we could have kept our L1 status and yes it wasn’t his fault he was selected as manager, but he’s not and never will be good enough to manage at L1 level

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 10, 2022, 06:13:08 pm by WarwickRover »
What’s GM thinking? If you can’t say anything good about his team then perhaps he should say nothing. Not looking a ‘happy place to work’ IMO

TinyPortal © 2005-2012