Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:50:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A (very) tentative defence of McSheffrey  (Read 6913 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: A (very) tentative defence of McSheffrey
« Reply #60 on October 10, 2022, 07:31:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Crikey if anyone is happy with the way we start games and it isnt just the odd one is it? and GM’s negative rhetoric to the press then you are made of sterner stuff than me.

I am all for giving managers time, have never given knee jerk reactions to results but I can only take so much dross.
I want to see our team on the front foot, creating chances and looking as though they believe in themselves. Not for 20 mins each match but from start to finish.
Yes there are times where we will need to keep it tight and man manage games, dig out a point.

What we were served up that 1st half on Saturday was unacceptable and to be totally outplayed outfought in the 1st half at Hartlepool was also unacceptable.

Sorry this manager does not inspire confidence and seems to be really struggling to inspire and motivate the players.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 07:34:22 pm by Campsall rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 10, 2022, 07:43:03 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Imagine the heartbreak when after 5 dismal years in L2 under GM we finally have a good season and look like getting promoted and he jumps ship to the 1st offer from a bigger club.

Love the faith in GM but the only thing deserving that kind of loyalty is the club not individuals. At least not ones who haven’t earnt it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 11, 2022, 08:59:14 am by drfchound »
I am on the fence with regards to McSheff.
I certainly don’t find his brand of football entertaining generally and he does seem to set us up to avoid defeat.
As selby has said, getting him out would cost the club lots of money but you also have to factor in falling attendances as more fans are staying away rather than watch some of the dross being served up.
Admittedly having players like Rowe out injured for a long time doesn’t help but how long do we let things slide before taking action to change.
The way we slipped to relegation last season was diabolical and should have been avoided and had we not picked up those late wins early on we would be rambling along in mid table.
I hope that McSheff has it in him to get us playing exciting and upbeat football which will inevitably put us into the promotion mix and bring fans back into the stadium but somehow it seems to be beyond his capabilities.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 11, 2022, 09:26:14 am by ForsolongaRover »
You could say that those who kept the faith with GMcS have had the ground taken from beneath their feet by the very man they were prepared to defend.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 11, 2022, 11:54:13 am by ncRover »
Steven Gerrard has said he’s “losing patience” with Villa’s attacking players.

I can see some similarities here. They play absolute dross as well.

Sulphurite

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 11, 2022, 02:02:12 pm by Sulphurite »
Dinosaur managers who are stuck plying old methods.

Experience as a player isn't a prerequisite for being a good manager.

I'm only an occasional viewer but Saturday was a team that reminded me of a Steve Bruce team. Offer nothing and hope for a bit o magic. Football has moved on.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 11, 2022, 02:50:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
I hope I am wrong but his comment the other day about not being able to play expansive football, does suggest that the ‘tactic’ we see all the time of Clayton hammering a ball over the top for Miller to try and handle, is basically the model he is trying to get us to adopt. Don’t have the talent to play through teams, so we go over them.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 11, 2022, 03:12:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
We may as well employ Fatty Evans, if that’s the case!

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 11, 2022, 03:40:43 pm by Chris the Rover »
Is that the Fatty Evans whose team currently sit top of the table? He must be doing something right.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 11, 2022, 03:48:56 pm by Campsall rover »
I hate to say it but Evans would have us playing better than what we are currently seeing.  We would also be further up the table I reckon.

In no way though would I want him as our manager.  ;)

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 11, 2022, 05:08:04 pm by RugbyRover »
I hope I am wrong but his comment the other day about not being able to play expansive football, does suggest that the ‘tactic’ we see all the time of Clayton hammering a ball over the top for Miller to try and handle, is basically the model he is trying to get us to adopt. Don’t have the talent to play through teams, so we go over them.

I doubt he would have signed Tomlin, Molyneux, Hurst and Woltman if that was his preferred style.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 11, 2022, 05:51:36 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
But if they aren't capable why sign them to play that way.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 11, 2022, 06:49:57 pm by RugbyRover »

My theory is that they can play that way.
But the centre mid can't.
It's too slow and ponderous.

I'm sure it'll be sorted in January.   :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on October 11, 2022, 07:25:39 pm by drfchound »

I doubt he would have signed Tomlin, Molyneux, Hurst and Woltman if that was his preferred style.

Good point, but one which begs the question of why do we lump it forward then.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 11, 2022, 07:31:42 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

My theory is that they can play that way.
But the centre mid can't.
It's too slow and ponderous.

I'm sure it'll be sorted in January.   :)

We've Close back fit who will probably be one of the better ball players in the division along with Clayton who isn't here for his mobility. If we can't string a few passes together with that midfield then they offer nothing.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on October 11, 2022, 07:39:58 pm by Lesonthewest »
I hate to say it but Evans would have us playing better than what we are currently seeing.  We would also be further up the table I reckon.

In no way though would I want him as our manager.  ;)
I would, even just for a season or two! he would get us out of this league I believe, especially with the squad we have.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 11, 2022, 07:42:51 pm by MachoMadness »
Cannot believe things are so bad that we are even tentatively discussing the prospect of Steve Evans as manager.

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on October 11, 2022, 07:44:21 pm by Pside »
I’d take Chris Evans at this point

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on October 11, 2022, 07:47:10 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Cannot believe things are so bad that we are even tentatively discussing the prospect of Steve Evans as manager.
you can't knock his managerial record though

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 11, 2022, 07:47:39 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It's a horrible choice but i'd take Evans over GM. But there is better out that than Evans so it's a no brainer

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 11, 2022, 09:45:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
Bloody hell I’ve set the hares running! My comment about Evans wasn’t a serious suggestion, for goodness sake. It was a comment about style of play, that is all.
I don’t want him anywhere near here, but I’ve had my fill of the current incumbent.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 11, 2022, 10:17:04 pm by Jonathan »
What happens when we get a new manager and everyone wants him out too? They don’t come waving magic wands as people seem to hope.

People were happy with the recruitment in the summer and on Saturday it was back to chants of “sack the board” and “Gavin Baldwin (not that it’s anything to do with him but anyway) shops at Netto.” Selby is right, the opinions blow in the wind. Is it the manager, is it the investment, is it both? Who cares as long as there’s someone to shout at.

Right now it’s in fashion to slate the current manager and pick at every single word he says. There’s probably no winning the fanbase back now, and it has been hard to watch at times. But when we get a new manager we’ll have more difficult spells as that’s football. We’re Doncaster Rovers not Manchester City. The delusion is now rife and the demands detached from reality. I’ll get a boatload of criticism for this from people saying “we just want to see good football and we have a right to say our piece.” But it’s just not true is it, we’ll be back here again in months under the next manager. If we play well and lose then the football is irrelevant. If we win without playing well then we demand expansive football. The loud mouths on Twitter will regroup when we have a new manager and start the next campaign to get someone sacked.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 10:23:32 pm by Jonathan »

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on October 11, 2022, 10:28:06 pm by Redroy »
What happens when we get a new manager and everyone wants him out too? They don’t come waving magic wands as people seem to hope.

People were happy with the recruitment in the summer and on Saturday it was back to chants of “sack the board” and “Gavin Baldwin (not that it’s anything to do with him but anyway) shops at Netto.” Selby is right, the opinions blow in the wind. Is it the manager, is it the investment, is it both? Who cares as long as there’s someone to shout at.

Right now it’s in fashion to slate the current manager and pick at every single word he says. There’s probably no winning the fanbase back now, and it has been hard to watch at times. But when we get a new manager we’ll have more difficult spells as that’s football. We’re Doncaster Rovers not Manchester City. The delusion is now rife and the demands detached from reality. I’ll get a boatload of criticism for this from people saying “we just want to see good football and we have a right to say our piece.” But it’s just not true is it, we’ll be back here again in months under the next manager. If we play well and lose then the football is irrelevant. If we win without playing well then we demand expansive football. The loud mouths on Twitter will regroup when we have a new manager and start the next campaign to get someone sacked.

Don't want to be Man City mate and not asking to be. Just for a bit of a grip and some direction rather than drifting listlessly downward

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on October 11, 2022, 11:14:31 pm by Lesonthewest »

I personally have resisted calling for his head, but, the football is beyond awful, & has been in most games, & no, the next manager may not have a magic wand, but I'm sure we can get one that can produce a team that can get me, my sons, my grandkids, & a few thousand more of our supporters looking forward to games, rather than enduring what we are watching currently. I & many don't ask for much supporting our team (as has proved over the years), & I don't think producing a few shots on goal before an hour has gone, or maybe even a corner, at home, in the bottom tier is too much to ask. So no it's not about having someone to shout at, for most it's about having your team having an identity & passion, currently we have neither.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on October 11, 2022, 11:41:39 pm by ditch_drfc »
Jonathan, the best defence you can muster of McSheffrey is that it's essentially just a lot of hot air from fans?

There are legitimate reasons why he's lost the fans and 99% of us now want him gone.

You surely know these reasons by now. You know yourself the style of football is woeful. We dont appear to have a game plan. There's random line ups and formations. And to top it off his dreadful press remarks that are getting even more bizarre.

Why not engage with those arguments? Maybe you're the solitary rovers fan who sees a game plan? Or perhaps you think performances have been decent?

Or maybe you've chosen not to engage with those arguments because you'd be forced to admit GM needs to go, and it'd drive a coach and horses through your accusations that we're all just deluded.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on October 12, 2022, 12:19:24 am by Canadian Rover »
Most fans didn't want to see Mcsheffrey sacked, most didn't want him appointed either. All the fans want to see the team play well and would love to see an attacking style.

A minority will never be happy and have unrealistic expectations. That doesn't make them wrong about the current situation. We can all agree the manager has been disappointing in his tactics and pre and post game comments. I don't think this was helped any by the comments Gavin Baldwin made to fans. Our expectations are that we should be too good for L2 yet truthfully we are lucky to be in the top half of the table.

Something has to change. It's usually the manager that leaves...but maybe just maybe a different attitude and some positive vibes around the club could change our situation.  He has a full compliment of coaches around him (question is are they all yes men?)

I don't think Mcsheffrey will be able to turn it around...I would like him to.

I think the next game will be the deciding factor in his future role with the club.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:22:21 am by Canadian Rover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on October 12, 2022, 07:17:42 am by roversdude »
Amusing last night to hear the yoof singing McSheffrey is our king in one song to get out of our club in another

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on October 12, 2022, 08:43:10 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I can see Jonathan's point and I posted similar on Saturday. I'd go further with some in that they'd criticise no matter what and for some until the ownership changes (wrongly in my view).

I also though do see the point of some more moderate and sensible types.  I'm massively optimistic as a football fan and prefer not to see changes of manager.  But I'm not enjoying what I watch and haven't for 2 years.  So that frustration is massively understandable.  I'm absolutely not going to be shouting the things I've seen on matchday abusively, it's out of order.  But the shape, tactics and constant lack of improvement is at best baffling and at worst incompetent.

I do not believe Mcsheffrey's the man to take us forward as much as I wish he was. I also feel it's getting at him and his comments in press conferences appear to be deteriorating quickly to a point that Wellens reached.

If we want promotion it will not be with Gary as manager I just cannot see it. If that's the true aim they will make a change.  He's had plenty of time to find a style and progress like we saw under other managers. Sadly he's more dickov than o Driscoll.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on October 12, 2022, 08:48:40 am by sedwardsdrfc »
What a negative view point. Don't change because it can always get worse is essentially the argument. Anyone doing anything in life like running a business, football club etc has to be optimistic and look at how things can get better.

The probability now is that we would be better under a new manager. Yes not guaranteed but we've seen enough of GM to know he isn't going to turn it around.

If anything i think this attitude shows how little faith supporters have in the club to get the right manager in. Over recent years it's justified but if you go back a few more we've appointed much better.

Don't confuse people saying sack the board with everyone else who wants GM out. Insulting to be lumped in with them. Of course the summer was on the face of it a good window where majority were happy with the business. Thats just more reason to get GM gone. Only way to shut the board out people is to win games. I think deep down even they know GM is to blame at the moment.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on October 12, 2022, 09:06:49 am by anton123 »

I think if we had a football manager in charge people would give him time but do we even know if GM is one the may be his one and only job as a manager at a club that just wanted a yes man for a while , didn’t he loose 4 on trot as caretaker then get the job ? Absolutely unheard of and would not have got the job at any other professional football club in the country 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012