Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 03:40:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Barnsley game  (Read 9044 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Barnsley game
« on October 09, 2022, 12:12:25 am by selby »
  A fixture that always seems to have a talking point about it after the game, or has very much so in the past, with Copps being dumped over the wall, Barnsleys star man being crunched in mid field and not playing the rest of the season, players being sent off, and some close entertaining games played at a hundred miles an hour.
  Whether this game lives up to that sort of billing remains to be seen, lots of changes being expected by both teams, who will give as many fringe players a game within the rules, and also some of both clubs promising youngsters.
  The permutations of who actually progress from the group gives all four teams a chance to get to the knockout stages depending how the results go, so everyone have something to play for.
  Barnsley, like Lincoln will start the favourites to progress at our expense, and if so we could do with Newcastle to not lose at Lincoln.
   Who plays for any side is anyone's guess, and depends on who is fit after this week's fixtures as so many taking part in today's game have to start, whether injured players coming back need minutes, will they have room to fit a few youngsters in, and potentially resting players who have just played the three games in seven days.
   Jones, Seaman, Barlow if fit, Long, Ravenhill, Reo, Agard, and Anderson if fit all could do with playing a part for us if up to it, The u18s who have come in have not let us down, and Barnsley will no doubt be looking to do exactly the same, with their squad looking to bounce back to the Championship at the first attempt.
   So what do you think? Barnsley fans welcome to comment, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Barnsley game
« Reply #1 on October 09, 2022, 08:34:40 am by sedwardsdrfc »
With us not playing very well in terms of attacking intent or threat. Unless thats how GM wants us to play i'd be picking our best team and just asking to see a performance hopefully against a weaker Barnsley side which gives us a chance.

We need to build a bit of form and play so i'd take the risk on injuries. No point having everyone fully fit and playing like we have been. Probably give Clayton a rest and change the goalkeeper and thats it for me

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 09, 2022, 09:26:26 am by tyke1962 »
First of all this Tyke takes this competition seriously , it was a huge friend to us in 2016 when we came from the bottom of the league in December to play off glory in May , it was the catalyst and we ended up winning the competition as well as promotion .

Secondly if we are beaten on Tuesday night I won't be hiding behind the weakened team excuse , the reality is it isn't a weakened team in my opinion .

Keeper Jack Walton plenty of championship games behind him , defender Jasper Moon the  same .

Edwards on loan from Stoke has played PL games , Josh Martin you know well , Adam Philips has played enough games out on loan from Burnley at league one level .

Larkeche is promising enough on loan from PL Fulham , Tedic on loan from Manchester City .

Luca Connell should get 90 minutes under his belt just coming back from an injury and he completely ran the show in central midfield at Hillsborough recently .

There's enough within the squad in my opinion to get the job done and progress .

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 09, 2022, 11:37:33 am by bobbymax »
Sooner we are out of this rubbish competition the better considering the number of injuries we have at present.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 09, 2022, 11:51:35 am by Donnywolf »
I think it's crap that under 21 Teams are allowed in and I'm sure I read somewhere the other day they are trying next to get in Football League Cup now

That's rubbish as well but I do want Rovers to progress in this Comp and indeed would like them to win every game they play at every level

I would always think winning is a good "habit" & a good way of progressing and hate it when Teams throw games. They should all read Tykes opening Para above

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 09, 2022, 12:31:07 pm by steve@dcfd »
Anderson might get a runout
Long should start
Will we start three at the back with Faulkner on the right Long left and Anderson in middle
Williams on the bench.
Need give Barlow a game Ravenhill could play.
Close and Biggins could start and give Clayton a rest on the bench to start.

Seaman RWB Knoyle a rest
Maxwell or Hurst LWB
Then Griffiths to start with Barlow if ready if not either Molyneux or Agard that will depend if Miller is going to be ready for Saturday whether we risk both strikers. Again it’s whether we want to progress let’s not take Barnsley for granted

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 12:33:57 pm by steve@dcfd »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 09, 2022, 02:27:07 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I would definitely start Woltman in a role behind a striker. Molyneux and Hurst need to play get some confidence going. Apart from the odd change I would play my best side. We need continuity to build some sort of understanding.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 09, 2022, 03:06:12 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I thought Woltman was cup-tied.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 09, 2022, 04:23:58 pm by Donnywolf »
Never mind Wolfman is available

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 10, 2022, 02:31:51 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I wouldn’t make as many changes as others would for this one. Top of the group, good chance to get through and make some money and a step closer to possibly getting to Wembley. Expecting the likes of Jones, Seaman, Long, Anderson, Ravenhill and Barlow to come in as well as maybe Taylor (back in training now I believe) and Miller in the squad. No doubt Josh Martin and Herbie Kane will get a good reception if they play.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 10, 2022, 04:20:45 pm by foxbat »
I was at that brilliant day in Cardiff at the Millenium stadium , winning the only cup competition we are ever likely to win. it didn't seem like rubbish to me , though seems a long way off now. Even if was officially called the Mickey Mouse cup and somehow we made the final again I would be back down to Wembley, for sure.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 10, 2022, 06:12:27 pm by tyke1962 »
We'd sold nearly 800 tickets at the close of business on Saturday so I reckon we should be bringing around a thousand tomorrow evening .

Quite surprised we've sold that many to be honest with us travelling to Bolton on Saturday and Morecambe the week after which have both sold very well .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 10, 2022, 06:31:30 pm by Donnywolf »
.... wow that will bump the Gate up

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 10, 2022, 08:06:58 pm by Campsall rover »
Think it will be about 50/50 then support.

Can’t see many more than 1.000 Rovers fans turning up.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 10, 2022, 08:09:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
Must be nice to have a manager we can all get behind.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:58:52 pm by Alan Southstand »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 10, 2022, 08:21:57 pm by selby »
  I will give you that Alan, there is a lot lagging behind events.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 10, 2022, 08:58:45 pm by Donnywolf »
Think it will be about 50/50 then support.

Can’t see many more than 1.000 Rovers fans turning up.

I'll make a stab at 2300 gate

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 10, 2022, 10:00:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’ll guess 850!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 11, 2022, 08:38:31 am by drfchound »
Must be nice to have a manager we can all get behind.

That is always going to be unlikely Alan.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 11, 2022, 10:40:46 am by Alan Southstand »
I know, hound, I was being mischievous and light-hearted.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 11, 2022, 11:04:34 am by steve@dcfd »
https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2022/october/mcsheffrey-pre-barnsley/

We are going to mix up the squad but I’m not sure whose available Anderson and possibly Taylor but that’s it from the 17 squad on Saturday (Woltman cuptied)
Depends on the formation GMC plays he wants to progress so that’s good.
Will we go three at the back 5 midfield and 2 up front which l believe we finished on Saturday.

My suggestion

Jones

Faulkner.    Anderson.        Long.       

Seaman.       Ravenhill       Close.         Hurst

Biggins

Barlow.        Griffiths

Subs
Mitchell
Knoyle
Williams
Clayton
Maxwell
Taylor
Agard

Unless we put some of the U18 on the bench?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 11:07:53 am by steve@dcfd »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 11, 2022, 12:32:27 pm by selby »
  I would go for Williams to start if Anderson starts, as I think those would have been our regular starters with Olowu from the star of the season, and this game is the chance to play them as a pair together.
 We could also play a three at the back with Long left sided who needs game time with Faulkner as cover as he was at Lincoln and coming on for Anderson if he doesn't do the full game.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 11, 2022, 02:02:30 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I wouldn’t make as many changes as others would for this one. Top of the group, good chance to get through and make some money and a step closer to possibly getting to Wembley. Expecting the likes of Jones, Seaman, Long, Anderson, Ravenhill and Barlow to come in as well as maybe Taylor (back in training now I believe) and Miller in the squad. No doubt Josh Martin and Herbie Kane will get a good reception if they play.
on the subject of being mischievous
how dare you forget Devante Cole of blankety blank fame  :headbang: :headbang:

it's very interesting

to look back at this thread that amazed us all

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=281301.0

in it i saw it as an indication that the trap door awaited for Barnsley but I failed to realise the trap door awaited for us !!!!

By the way my Bank Manager doesn't want Dingles to lose on Saturday so please don't injure any of them
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 03:00:35 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 11, 2022, 02:49:06 pm by drfchound »
I know, hound, I was being mischievous and light-hearted.

LoL,
It seems that we still need the tongue in cheek emoji that I have been asking for for years.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 11, 2022, 04:36:44 pm by tyke1962 »
on the subject of being mischievous
how dare you forget Devante Cole of blankety blank fame  :headbang: :headbang:

it's very interesting

to look back at this thread that amazed us all

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=281301.0

in it i saw it as an indication that the trap door awaited for Barnsley but I failed to realise the trap door awaited for us !!!!

By the way my Bank Manager doesn't want Dingles to lose on Saturday so please don't injure any of them

To be fair to Devante he's done really well this season , puts a shift in and scored a few goals , can't ask for anything more to be honest .

I think Duff's got something out of him the same as he did last season with Alfie May at Cheltenham .

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 11, 2022, 06:20:22 pm by DRNaith »
Bruce Dyer's son, Josiah, is on the bench for Barnsley

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 11, 2022, 06:21:24 pm by danumdon »
Well tonight's starting 11 looks very interesting to say the least.

For a manager who is currently under the cosh this looks very brave from him, or maybe foolish?

Saving grace maybe the cavalry on the bench to start the second half?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 11, 2022, 06:26:38 pm by tyke1962 »
As expected from us , fringe players , lads on loan yet to break in to the starting eleven plus some kids .

The young lad up top tonight Jalo is 16 years old but thought to be a real prospect , wish I'd a pound every time I heard that with a 16 year old kid mind .

May the best team win and progress through .

All the best lads .

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 11, 2022, 07:10:28 pm by Metalmicky »
Young Woltman not in the squad..... I'm guessing after his weekend appearance he must be injured...?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 11, 2022, 07:12:04 pm by Metalmicky »
0:1

TinyPortal © 2005-2012