Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 10:24:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25709 times)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #180 on October 18, 2022, 12:38:37 pm by 5minstogo »
I see Schofield has flown in to 1-4 on for the job with Adkins  at 6's and Artell out to 25's

Which bookies are offering odds on the new manager please? Can’t seem to find them.

Bet Victor

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on October 18, 2022, 12:40:03 pm by Donnybax »
According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, Brian Barry-Murphy is our new manger

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on October 18, 2022, 12:44:06 pm by Pside »
I see Schofield has flown in to 1-4 on for the job with Adkins  at 6's and Artell out to 25's

We might as well give up if it’s schofield. He’s no more qualified than GMS and made a pigs ear of the Huddersfield job. Massive gamble if it’s going to be him and a sideways step in my eyes. Hope I’m proved wrong though.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #183 on October 18, 2022, 12:58:12 pm by Prez »

We might as well give up if it’s schofield. He’s no more qualified than GMS and made a pigs ear of the Huddersfield job. Massive gamble if it’s going to be him and a sideways step in my eyes. Hope I’m proved wrong though.

Agree with that. Too much of  a risk.

Would rather have Philip Schofield.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on October 18, 2022, 01:21:49 pm by Campsall rover »
According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, Brian Barry-Murphy is our new manger
:facepalm:  :headbang:  :crying: 

Think that could possibly be a wind up.  ;)

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on October 18, 2022, 01:25:18 pm by wing commander »
i think Fergie made it clear enough about ambition

I could have been sacked, but the club stuck by me. I didn’t want to be down there at all, but I felt largely responsible for the relegation and felt a duty to get Doncaster straight back up. The board were great, and backed me, and there was no way I was letting us hang around in the fourth tier. We got straight back up at the first attempt.

In my mind, then, it was time to look at going again. I had the Championship in my sights.

But the club had different ideas. For them, the next campaign was all about consolidating in League One. We did just that – that was my one season in which I didn’t go through a promotion race or relegation battle – and at the end of that season I was ready to kick on.

The club weren’t keen, though. The owners didn’t want to go for it. They were happy with sticking where we were in League One.

It was also around that time that my dad fell ill. That was taking up some of my attention, and I just decided I couldn’t deal with a battle with the club over my transfer kitty. There were more important things to think about, and I could tell they were never going to match my ambitions. So, I resigned.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on October 18, 2022, 01:26:28 pm by Bessie Red »

I always wanted Danny Schofield to sign for us as a player but definitely wouldnt want him as the Manager!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on October 18, 2022, 01:38:21 pm by silent majority »

I could have been sacked, but the club stuck by me. I didn’t want to be down there at all, but I felt largely responsible for the relegation and felt a duty to get Doncaster straight back up. The board were great, and backed me, and there was no way I was letting us hang around in the fourth tier. We got straight back up at the first attempt.

In my mind, then, it was time to look at going again. I had the Championship in my sights.

But the club had different ideas. For them, the next campaign was all about consolidating in League One. We did just that – that was my one season in which I didn’t go through a promotion race or relegation battle – and at the end of that season I was ready to kick on.

The club weren’t keen, though. The owners didn’t want to go for it. They were happy with sticking where we were in League One.

It was also around that time that my dad fell ill. That was taking up some of my attention, and I just decided I couldn’t deal with a battle with the club over my transfer kitty. There were more important things to think about, and I could tell they were never going to match my ambitions. So, I resigned.

I wouldn't believe all of that WC.

What manager do you know who would say anything different when he left a club? 'The owners didn't want to go for it' is a very crucial statement in there, what does that exactly mean?? If it means, which I believe it does, is that he wanted the board to throw boat loads of money in his direction otherwise he'd get the monk on and disappear!

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on October 18, 2022, 01:39:14 pm by karldew »
From an interview when Schofield got sacked from Huddersfield.

“The decision was made after Tuesday evening’s Championship defeat at home to Wigan Athletic, which took our record during Danny’s time as permanent head coach to one win and one draw in nine competitive matches.”

After the game Schofield had admitted: “This job comes with a lot of pressure. When you’re not winning games, when you’re losing games, the pressure’s mounting, and I take full responsibility for that.” When asked whether he felt his job was at risk, he added: “I can’t really answer that question, that’s for somebody else to decide.”

Not great reading if he got the job here and didn’t get off to a good start :ermm:

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on October 18, 2022, 01:42:36 pm by wing commander »

What manager do you know who would say anything different when he left a club? 'The owners didn't want to go for it' is a very crucial statement in there, what does that exactly mean?? If it means, which I believe it does, is that he wanted the board to throw boat loads of money in his direction otherwise he'd get the monk on and disappear!

To be honest mate at the time I didn't really believe it. However after the performance of our board over the time since he left i'm more inclined to believe it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on October 18, 2022, 01:45:52 pm by Campsall rover »

Yes you have quoted what he said.

He was never going to get a top 6 budget in League 1
There were, as there are now of course some vert big clubs in the 3rd tier.
Problem is DF never had the mindset that he could get a club with a top 10 budget promoted.

A really good manager can do that. Grant McCann very nearly dit it. Darren Moore had us in the top 3 at Christmas before he had his head turned.

DF had a very good eye for a player or at least his scouts did but as a manager he was only a little above average imo.
How does really good manager let his team take their eye off the ball in a one horse race to win the league.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 01:48:09 pm by Campsall rover »

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on October 18, 2022, 01:56:44 pm by Dare to dream! »
Wouldn’t mind JFH

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on October 18, 2022, 01:58:28 pm by wing commander »
 Yes i quoted what he said because it was claimed the word Ambition wasn't used when it was. I'm not saying i believed every word he says but every manager come and gone since had had something to say about progression and budget..

I rated Fergie as the best manager since SOD, Moore has no credit with me, he built a team on sand.He couldnt afford the quality he wanted in contracted players so filled most of the team with loans trying to get us up.When that failed and they left we couldn't field a 5 a side team and we have been paying for that since imo.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on October 18, 2022, 02:06:18 pm by karldew »
Wouldn’t mind JFH

Didn’t he do well at Burton last time after he brought in 10+ players in January?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on October 18, 2022, 02:23:10 pm by ravenrover »
Yes i quoted what he said because it was claimed the word Ambition wasn't used when it was. I'm not saying i believed every word he says but every manager come and gone since had had something to say about progression and budget..

I rated Fergie as the best manager since SOD, Moore has no credit with me, he built a team on sand.He couldnt afford the quality he wanted in contracted players so filled most of the team with loans trying to get us up.When that failed and they left we couldn't field a 5 a side team and we have been paying for that since imo.
Have we heard anything from the club in tesponse to his comments? I don't believe we have

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on October 18, 2022, 02:31:13 pm by wing commander »
   When do we hear anything from our club especially our Chairman on anything?

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on October 18, 2022, 02:45:02 pm by redarmi66 »

Have we heard anything from the club in tesponse to his comments? I don't believe we have

Not sure the club need to respond. At the end of the day fergie was just a former employee with an opinion. His opinion differed to the clubs no doubt. How many people have left a company and had an opinion of it. Lots!  I dont see many companies rushing to ‘put the record straight’. They just move on. The board/the club are bigger than that.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on October 18, 2022, 02:46:06 pm by redarmi66 »
   When do we hear anything from our club especially our Chairman on anything?
Yesterday!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:58:53 pm by redarmi66 »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #198 on October 18, 2022, 03:28:18 pm by graingrover »
Fergie would be a good man to get us promoted again but Although Copps would no doubt love to have him back ( Patroen interview ) budget constraints are likely to preclude an approach to him .Brian Barry-Murphy could be the answer ..

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on October 18, 2022, 03:38:09 pm by Jonathan »
I don’t think we should get too excited about Brian Barry-Murphy. Not that I don’t think he’d be an exciting appointment (he certainly would) but he has a job at Manchester City. I find it highly unlikely that he would leave that to join a mid-table League 2 club.

We’re at that stage where a few bets here and there will cause big shifts in the market.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on October 18, 2022, 03:42:26 pm by jamesrover17 »
I don’t think we should get too excited about Brian Barry-Murphy. Not that I don’t think he’d be an exciting appointment (he certainly would) but he has a job at Manchester City. I find it highly unlikely that he would leave that to join a mid-table League 2 club.

We’re at that stage where a few bets here and there will cause big shifts in the market.

I am inclined to agree, it would be an exciting appointment but unlikely for me, I would assume we would still have to pay compo?

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on October 18, 2022, 03:46:19 pm by ChrisBx »
I agree with the above regarding BBM. I thought he'd he great when I first saw his name mentioned, but didn't he leave Rochdale for the City job?

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on October 18, 2022, 03:47:42 pm by Silkscarf »
Who was it that was in the bookies odds last time (or was it the time before?) and was also pencilled into Wikipedia by someone? He didn't get the job of course so a lot of words on here were wasted.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on October 18, 2022, 03:49:54 pm by ChrisBx »
Who was it that was in the bookies odds last time (or was it the time before?) and was also pencilled into Wikipedia by someone? He didn't get the job of course so a lot of words on here were wasted.

Des Buckingham

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on October 18, 2022, 03:51:14 pm by Fal »

With all due respect SM, the downward spiral we have been on and the comments from several previous managers I tend to start believing them rather than anything you’re saying these days.

I know you don’t care what I or others think but there’s no way you can defend the board at all.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on October 18, 2022, 03:53:19 pm by redarmi66 »
In case anybody is wondering about BBM. Heres his Bio…. Would be exciting but not sure he would leave Man City?

Brian was appointed as lead coach of the Elite Development Squad in the summer of 2021.

The 43-year-old enjoyed a highly successful near 20-year playing career, representing a host of clubs including Bury, Rochdale, Sheffield Wednesday and Preston North End.

The son of renowned Gaelic sports figure Jimmy Barry-Murphy, Brian also won two caps for the Republic of Ireland Under-21s.

Appointed as part of the coaching set-up at Rochdale in 2013 while still playing, Barry-Murphy was subsequently appointed as caretaker manager at the Spotland club in 2019 before being handed the role on a permanent basis.

He earned widespread praise for overseeing an attractive, possession-based brand of attacking football as well for his work in developing and encouraging young talent at the club before joining City at the start of the 2021/22 season.

His first campaign at the Academy Stadium proved a huge success, as City retained the Premier League 2 title in impressive fashion.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on October 18, 2022, 04:06:43 pm by Dare to dream! »
What makes Brian Murphy an exciting appointment?

34 games experience and didn’t do anything with Rochdale. Looks like he’s a coach and not a manager.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on October 18, 2022, 04:15:59 pm by Jonathan »
What makes Brian Murphy an exciting appointment?

34 games experience and didn’t do anything with Rochdale. Looks like he’s a coach and not a manager.

Brian Barry-Murphy has managed over 100 games, not 34.

I can only speak for myself when I say I’d judge it as an exciting appointment based on potential. I can remember his Rochdale team playing some good stuff, and you have to remember they were up against it with the resources they had at their disposal compared to the level. For him to be employed within the Manchester City set up he has to have something, so of course there’s an excitement factor.

All that said, I don’t see him being a realistic candidate.

Looking at the names in the frame, I’d be happy with Artell similarly based around potential. We won’t find a manager that has had it all their own way, and if we did then they’d get a shock when they arrived here!

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on October 18, 2022, 04:19:24 pm by Silkscarf »

Des Buckingham

That's him. Thanks. BBM could be a similar bit of clever nonsense.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on October 18, 2022, 04:29:02 pm by ChrisBx »
Luke Garrard anyone?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012