Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 08:15:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25732 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #210 on October 18, 2022, 04:39:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
Good points Jon, but I’d love to know what your real thoughts are on why Bbm wouldn’t be realistic.

He may well miss the cut and thrust of EFL football, who knows?

Also, I don’t think there’s a manager that exists who’s had it all his own way. Most havn’t, certainly.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on October 18, 2022, 04:41:41 pm by philsky »
Graeme Alexander for me; would make us a tough outfit; he's done pretty well.

I have to laugh looking at the bookies' odds - i reckon their information has come from this website !!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on October 18, 2022, 04:42:34 pm by ncRover »
Surely BBM would be taking a pay cut to come to us?

What was Artell’s Crewe’s football like before he ran out of steam?

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on October 18, 2022, 04:43:15 pm by Petche »
Kevin Horlock anyone?
Still early days in his management career but seems to be making an impression at non-league level.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on October 18, 2022, 04:43:28 pm by danumdon »
I see Schofield has flown in to 1-4 on for the job with Adkins  at 6's and Artell out to 25's

I hope it isn’t Artell, he was crap as manager of Crewe when they sacked him after a 2-0 defeat against the Rovers last season. Schofield would be a good move as would Atkins.

COYR

When you look at the potential of a manager you also have to look at what tools he's had to work with, in Artells case you only have to look at the quality of the squad he had and the size of the budget to realise that he was juggling some pretty hefty batons each day to get by.

Could he do better with a an improved budget and a better squad of players?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on October 18, 2022, 04:45:20 pm by The Beast »
Been interviewing today.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on October 18, 2022, 04:47:25 pm by scawsby steve »
Alexander for me, by a country mile based on his CV. However, I doubt that he'll be interested, due to him apparently wanting time away from the game.

I think it will be Artell, which I would find underwhelming, but I'd still get behind him.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #217 on October 18, 2022, 04:47:49 pm by silent majority »
i think Fergie made it clear enough about ambition

I could have been sacked, but the club stuck by me. I didn’t want to be down there at all, but I felt largely responsible for the relegation and felt a duty to get Doncaster straight back up. The board were great, and backed me, and there was no way I was letting us hang around in the fourth tier. We got straight back up at the first attempt.

In my mind, then, it was time to look at going again. I had the Championship in my sights.

But the club had different ideas. For them, the next campaign was all about consolidating in League One. We did just that – that was my one season in which I didn’t go through a promotion race or relegation battle – and at the end of that season I was ready to kick on.

The club weren’t keen, though. The owners didn’t want to go for it. They were happy with sticking where we were in League One.

It was also around that time that my dad fell ill. That was taking up some of my attention, and I just decided I couldn’t deal with a battle with the club over my transfer kitty. There were more important things to think about, and I could tell they were never going to match my ambitions. So, I resigned.

I wouldn't believe all of that WC.

What manager do you know who would say anything different when he left a club? 'The owners didn't want to go for it' is a very crucial statement in there, what does that exactly mean?? If it means, which I believe it does, is that he wanted the board to throw boat loads of money in his direction otherwise he'd get the monk on and disappear!

With all due respect SM, the downward spiral we have been on and the comments from several previous managers I tend to start believing them rather than anything you’re saying these days.

I know you don’t care what I or others think but there’s no way you can defend the board at all.

It's not necessarily about defending the board, its more about ascertaining what the facts are. I question the board more than any single individual I know, and then from that I'm happy to put it on here.

Now if you can produce something that proves the alternative then fair enough, but comments from managers who leave and want to keep their reputations intact so they can apply for other positions are more than happy to colour the truth a little.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on October 18, 2022, 04:50:27 pm by philsky »
Adkins is favourite

I wouldn't mind tbh.

Hope we end up with someone with experience

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on October 18, 2022, 04:51:45 pm by idler »
Yes i quoted what he said because it was claimed the word Ambition wasn't used when it was. I'm not saying i believed every word he says but every manager come and gone since had had something to say about progression and budget..

I rated Fergie as the best manager since SOD, Moore has no credit with me, he built a team on sand.He couldnt afford the quality he wanted in contracted players so filled most of the team with loans trying to get us up.When that failed and they left we couldn't field a 5 a side team and we have been paying for that since imo.
Maybe they were worried just how he would spend the money that he wanted. He dished out a few long contracts to players that he then decided to ignore.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on October 18, 2022, 05:02:10 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think there's some mischief going on.

I have to laugh at those criticising the appt of our own youth team head last year wanting to appoint the youth team head of a bigger club.  His record at rochdale was just ok.

Nothing massively excites me but we are a league 2 team we won't be getting exciting at this stage.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on October 18, 2022, 05:05:58 pm by Dare to dream! »

I have to laugh at those criticising the appt of our own youth team head last year wanting to appoint the youth team head of a bigger club.  His record at rochdale was just ok.

Nothing massively excites me but we are a league 2 team we won't be getting exciting at this stage.

Spot on.

People see Man City and get a hard on.

We need proven experience.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on October 18, 2022, 05:07:46 pm by RugbyRover »

I could have been sacked, but the club stuck by me. I didn’t want to be down there at all, but I felt largely responsible for the relegation and felt a duty to get Doncaster straight back up. The board were great, and backed me, and there was no way I was letting us hang around in the fourth tier. We got straight back up at the first attempt.

In my mind, then, it was time to look at going again. I had the Championship in my sights.

But the club had different ideas. For them, the next campaign was all about consolidating in League One. We did just that – that was my one season in which I didn’t go through a promotion race or relegation battle – and at the end of that season I was ready to kick on.

The club weren’t keen, though. The owners didn’t want to go for it. They were happy with sticking where we were in League One.

It was also around that time that my dad fell ill. That was taking up some of my attention, and I just decided I couldn’t deal with a battle with the club over my transfer kitty. There were more important things to think about, and I could tell they were never going to match my ambitions. So, I resigned.

What manager do you know who would say anything different when he left a club? 'The owners didn't want to go for it' is a very crucial statement in there, what does that exactly mean?? If it means, which I believe it does, is that he wanted the board to throw boat loads of money in his direction otherwise he'd get the monk on and disappear!

With all due respect SM, the downward spiral we have been on and the comments from several previous managers I tend to start believing them rather than anything you’re saying these days.

I know you don’t care what I or others think but there’s no way you can defend the board at all.

It's not necessarily about defending the board, its more about ascertaining what the facts are. I question the board more than any single individual I know, and then from that I'm happy to put it on here.

Now if you can produce something that proves the alternative then fair enough, but comments from managers who leave and want to keep their reputations intact so they can apply for other positions are more than happy to colour the truth a little.

As far as "ascertaining what the facts are", as you put it. I don't see any "facts", just that you've stated your interpretation of events.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on October 18, 2022, 05:09:16 pm by Donnybax »

I think anyone can see Mcsheffrey and Barry Murphy are miles different. How many games had mcsheffrey managed before? The difference between our u 18s and Man City’s u 23s is massive.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on October 18, 2022, 05:10:18 pm by grayx »
Graeme Alexander for me; would make us a tough outfit; he's done pretty well.

I have to laugh looking at the bookies' odds - i reckon their information has come from this website !!

I wouldnt mind Alexander..

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on October 18, 2022, 05:13:34 pm by philsky »
Folk keep going on about experienced managers. Experienced in what? There are a few out there we wouldn't want to touch with a bargepole.

When we say 'experienced' what do we mean?

I can't quite believe this needs pointing out, but when I say experience, I mean as a minimum someone who's an actual football manager. As in, they have experience managing a professional football team.

Two of our previous three managers didn't fit this basic prerequisite. We're not asking for a lot...

Same here; I don't even mind someone who's had their struggles during a managerial career.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on October 18, 2022, 05:17:54 pm by Jonathan »
Good points Jon, but I’d love to know what your real thoughts are on why Bbm wouldn’t be realistic.

He may well miss the cut and thrust of EFL football, who knows?

Also, I don’t think there’s a manager that exists who’s had it all his own way. Most havn’t, certainly.

Think you’ve summed it up there Alan, we’d have to rely on him seriously missing the cut and thrust of EFL football. That’s not impossible of course, but I’m just conscious of the fact he has a great job at a huge club working under arguably the best manager in world football. It’d take something special to make me want to move away from that again at a young age.

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on October 18, 2022, 05:22:49 pm by Donny Dub »
What makes Brian Murphy an exciting appointment?

34 games experience and didn’t do anything with Rochdale. Looks like he’s a coach and not a manager.

But it’s a good coach that we need surely?   Copps can manage no?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #228 on October 18, 2022, 05:31:47 pm by Janso »

Spot on.

People see Man City and get a hard on.

We need proven experience.
Precisely why a lot of people thought Lawlor was good.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #229 on October 18, 2022, 05:55:12 pm by Colin C No.3 »

“I know you don’t care what I or others think……….”

Speak for yourself by all means but not for others & certainly not for me.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on October 18, 2022, 06:02:22 pm by roversdude »

“I know you don’t care what I or others think……….”

Speak for yourself by all means but not for others & certainly not for me.

+1

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on October 18, 2022, 06:04:49 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I wonder if we would end up with a better manager than the one the Board choose if we just had a poll of the fans?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on October 18, 2022, 06:19:09 pm by silent majority »

As far as "ascertaining what the facts are", as you put it. I don't see any "facts", just that you've stated your interpretation of events.

My interpretation? For example, I don't interpret the accounts and then make up what I think the playing budget is, its right there in black and white.

You might not like it, but it is a fact.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on October 18, 2022, 06:21:32 pm by grayx »
According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, Brian Barry-Murphy is our new manger
:facepalm:  :headbang:  :crying: 

Think that could possibly be a wind up.  ;)

Maybe not apparently.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on October 18, 2022, 06:25:51 pm by Rovers91 »
I would be happy with BBM, would defo prefer him to Artell who I dont want.

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on October 18, 2022, 06:32:35 pm by jonrover »
Looking at the list of likely contenders in the betting market, the one that stands out is Graham Alexander. No one else comes remotely close Schofield would be a massive gamble.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #236 on October 18, 2022, 06:45:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

During his final term with us after he got us promoted to League One, John Marquis signed an improved contract extention. It was in January when we paid a decent fee for the permanent signing of Ben Whiteman.

Many thought Fergie kept making tactical errors, switching between back threes and fours. Many thought a 15th placed finish that season was an underperformance.

Whatever, or however you interpret consolidation, after Fergie departed, McCann added to a decent squad and very nearly made a promotion out of that 'consolidation'!

Anyone would think with the criticisms of the board at the time, he was having his budget cut!!

True, I doubt very much, we would have thrown money at it willy nilly and bust the wage structure, certainly not near what Peterborough were willing to pay for example.

I remember saying at the time, it's tough being a manager of clubs with limited resources, cos you have to work a little bit harder to unearth some good talent. He was having a tough ride from the fans, then of course with his father becoming ill, you can understand any human being struggling to give his job 100% and I don't blame him for leaving for that reason alone.

Back to the current situation, whoever takes this job on, will have a decent squad to work with and we could do with some of what McCann brought when he took over.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on October 18, 2022, 06:46:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I think anyone can see Mcsheffrey and Barry Murphy are miles different. How many games had mcsheffrey managed before? The difference between our u 18s and Man City’s u 23s is massive.

Yeah ours earn pennies theirs millions.

Let's be clear he may be the second coming etc I wouldn't write him off at all and if it's him I hope he's successful.

I don't though see the clamour for him on paper as someone who stands out though like some would make out.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on October 18, 2022, 06:48:27 pm by keith79 »
Okelly for me.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on October 18, 2022, 06:52:05 pm by vaya »
I would be happy with BBM, would defo prefer him to Artell who I dont want.

About to enthusiastically agree, but realised I'd mis-read the first line.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012