Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 09:10:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25747 times)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #240 on October 18, 2022, 06:57:38 pm by turnbull for england »
I would be happy with BBM, would defo prefer him to Artell who I dont want.

About to enthusiastically agree, but realised I'd mis-read the first line.

BDSM?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on October 18, 2022, 07:00:13 pm by ravenrover »
Yes i quoted what he said because it was claimed the word Ambition wasn't used when it was. I'm not saying i believed every word he says but every manager come and gone since had had something to say about progression and budget..

I rated Fergie as the best manager since SOD, Moore has no credit with me, he built a team on sand.He couldnt afford the quality he wanted in contracted players so filled most of the team with loans trying to get us up.When that failed and they left we couldn't field a 5 a side team and we have been paying for that since imo.
Have we heard anything from the club in tesponse to his comments? I don't believe we have

Not sure the club need to respond. At the end of the day fergie was just a former employee with an opinion. His opinion differed to the clubs no doubt. How many people have left a company and had an opinion of it. Lots!  I dont see many companies rushing to ‘put the record straight’. They just move on. The board/the club are bigger than that.
That was my point we've only heard what Fergie had to say the Board do not need to respond

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on October 18, 2022, 07:04:50 pm by swintonrover »
Luke Garrard anyone?

I've been suggesting him for a while, he's keeping Boreham Wood in the mix on a budget of magic beans. Don't know his style of football, but I'd imagine out board would love his financial ability.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on October 18, 2022, 07:31:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
Yes i quoted what he said because it was claimed the word Ambition wasn't used when it was. I'm not saying i believed every word he says but every manager come and gone since had had something to say about progression and budget..

I rated Fergie as the best manager since SOD, Moore has no credit with me, he built a team on sand.He couldnt afford the quality he wanted in contracted players so filled most of the team with loans trying to get us up.When that failed and they left we couldn't field a 5 a side team and we have been paying for that since imo.
Have we heard anything from the club in tesponse to his comments? I don't believe we have

Not sure the club need to respond. At the end of the day fergie was just a former employee with an opinion. His opinion differed to the clubs no doubt. How many people have left a company and had an opinion of it. Lots!  I dont see many companies rushing to ‘put the record straight’. They just move on. The board/the club are bigger than that.
That was my point we've only heard what Fergie had to say the Board do not need to respond

We were by any objective measure best shut of him. Got us relegated and then played total dross in League One, nowhere near promotion.  McCann came in at a few weeks notice, signed two loan players and with same squad got us into the play offs straight away, where we were cheated at the death and just short of Wembley. Ferguson could have managed that squad another 50 years and we’d have never gone up.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on October 18, 2022, 07:42:45 pm by MachoMadness »
BBM fits the profile the best for me. Clear identity, track record of getting a lot out of not very much at a smaller club in Rochdale. If he's actually applied then he'd be my pick. Managing City's u23s a very different ball game as well, some of these kids will be full internationals who are worth more than our entire senior squad put together many times over.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on October 18, 2022, 07:46:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
Didn’t he get Rochdale relegated?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on October 18, 2022, 08:27:40 pm by Jonathan »
Didn’t he get Rochdale relegated?

I think Rochdale got relegated. I’m not sure he enforced it.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on October 18, 2022, 08:31:20 pm by MachoMadness »
He did. He also kept them up on a shoestring budget the previous 2 years.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on October 18, 2022, 08:32:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don’t know anything about him but Rochdale have been atrocious over last few seasons. Not all down to him, not least as they sacked him.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on October 18, 2022, 08:35:36 pm by redarmi66 »
Don’t know anything about him but Rochdale have been atrocious over last few seasons. Not all down to him, not least as they sacked him.

He actually resigned.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on October 18, 2022, 08:54:55 pm by RugbyRover »

We were by any objective measure best shut of him. Got us relegated and then played total dross in League One, nowhere near promotion.  McCann came in at a few weeks notice, signed two loan players and with same squad got us into the play offs straight away, where we were cheated at the death and just short of Wembley. Ferguson could have managed that squad another 50 years and we’d have never gone up.

It's a difficult one.

On one hand I 've got Copps saying he's the best thing since sliced bread and on the other there's you telling me he's garbage.  :unsure:

On reflection I'll go with Copps  :lol:

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on October 18, 2022, 09:00:28 pm by Fal »
i think Fergie made it clear enough about ambition

I could have been sacked, but the club stuck by me. I didn’t want to be down there at all, but I felt largely responsible for the relegation and felt a duty to get Doncaster straight back up. The board were great, and backed me, and there was no way I was letting us hang around in the fourth tier. We got straight back up at the first attempt.

In my mind, then, it was time to look at going again. I had the Championship in my sights.

But the club had different ideas. For them, the next campaign was all about consolidating in League One. We did just that – that was my one season in which I didn’t go through a promotion race or relegation battle – and at the end of that season I was ready to kick on.

The club weren’t keen, though. The owners didn’t want to go for it. They were happy with sticking where we were in League One.

It was also around that time that my dad fell ill. That was taking up some of my attention, and I just decided I couldn’t deal with a battle with the club over my transfer kitty. There were more important things to think about, and I could tell they were never going to match my ambitions. So, I resigned.

I wouldn't believe all of that WC.

What manager do you know who would say anything different when he left a club? 'The owners didn't want to go for it' is a very crucial statement in there, what does that exactly mean?? If it means, which I believe it does, is that he wanted the board to throw boat loads of money in his direction otherwise he'd get the monk on and disappear!

With all due respect SM, the downward spiral we have been on and the comments from several previous managers I tend to start believing them rather than anything you’re saying these days.

I know you don’t care what I or others think but there’s no way you can defend the board at all.

“I know you don’t care what I or others think……….”

Speak for yourself by all means but not for others & certainly not for me.

Others in no way specifically means you Colin so come back down off of your high horse.

There are “other” fans who have the same mindset who I’m referring to

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on October 18, 2022, 09:49:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
Rob Staton saying tonight that Schofield is a strong contender for the job. Presume he has been interviewed by now.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on October 18, 2022, 09:54:00 pm by Dare to dream! »
Rob Staton saying tonight that Schofield is a strong contender for the job. Presume he has been interviewed by now.

The board have got a big set of b*llocks if they appoint Schofield. I’ll respect that if they go that way.

Let’s see what happens.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #254 on October 18, 2022, 09:57:10 pm by Jonathan »

Just listened back to Football Heaven. He’s gone as far as saying he’s text someone in the game and is of the understanding that it’s Schofield’s job to lose. Doesn’t mean it has to be true, but sounded confident on that.

He was my first tip (not to be confused with choice) as we know he’s been at games recently.

If we do appoint him it’s a big risk given that he’s less experienced (and has a lower standing in the game) than the manager we’ve just sacked. It could of course turn out to be genius. But it feels like it would be a big gamble to me. I feel there are better choices out there.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #255 on October 18, 2022, 10:00:32 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Massive gamble if he gets it.  Of course Huddersfield could be a basket case but there's not been much sign from there that he did much good.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #256 on October 18, 2022, 10:00:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
This would be progress of sorts. We've moved on from just employing people who played for us, to now people who are from Doncaster. Given there are far more people in the latter group than the former, we have widened the pool significantly. Copps is making an impact already.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on October 18, 2022, 10:06:59 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Artell and Barry-Murphy are fine. Leave Schofield and Alexander alone.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on October 18, 2022, 10:11:49 pm by Cramby10 »
I’m all for giving people a go but surely this is lunacy and giving the fans a very very large stick to beat them with should this go wrong. Should Schofield get it, which I hope he doesn’t, then our last 3 managers will have managed 9 whole games between them before being thrust into our hot seat.
P.s a Huddersfield supporting mate of mine said he was completely out of his depth. Sound familiar?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on October 18, 2022, 10:12:04 pm by jmt23 »
Oh dear, this is not what I think we need right now - we have given a few unknown entities their chance in the last few years and have come unstuck , badly.

This ( in my opinion) has cost the club financially and impacts our development by years.

Nothing against Danny but this appointment feels like make-or break for DRFC’s future in the football league. Another poor decision could well cost us in the next two seasons,

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #260 on October 18, 2022, 10:32:11 pm by ChrisBx »
He has a grand total of 1 win as a manager. It would be almost laughable to appoint him given the context.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on October 18, 2022, 10:35:19 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I had that Chesterfield Manager lined up as a possible Rovers Manager of the future until they "suspended him" and the rest.

A Chesterfield fan said Borehamwood are the biggest timewasters in the National League  - despite them having strong competition from half a dozen other clubs so do we want a manager like that ?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #262 on October 18, 2022, 10:37:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Whoever it is, if he gets the team winning, it's an inspired choice by Copps. If it goes the other way, of course it'll be the boards fault.

I don't think any of us would be confident with the risk involved in appointing another novice in the hot seat.

But again, if Copps has drawn up a shortlist based on more knowledge of the game and the individuals you would hope all the candidates impress enough to make it a difficult decision particularly following on from giving a novice the opportunity. They know the weight of expectation and didn't shy away from this seasons goals in the club statement.

I tend to agree the team needs man managing right now and that most likely comes from experience of dealing with players of different ages and experience.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on October 18, 2022, 10:47:42 pm by ncRover »
Let’s try to be positive. He has more standing in the game as a coach than McSheffrey.

Let’s not set him up to fail if it is him. Give him a chance.

If he was out of his depth at championship level, it’s a good job we’re in league 2.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on October 18, 2022, 11:00:32 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Personally feel if it is Schofield it’s a mistake, very little experience is not what the squad needs but if it is he will get my full support like every manager does

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on October 19, 2022, 07:22:23 am by Pside »
Well if it’s schofield it’s a massive mistake in my eyes and a complete sideways step. He is just a glorified GMS. He wants to play a high tempo high press game which I don’t think is possible with this squad (especially the ageing midfield) I hope I’m wrong but I see this ending badly.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on October 19, 2022, 07:42:03 am by ctay »
Someone mentioned to me that Graham Coughlan has been interviewed. I don't know a great deal about him to be honest.

Andy Giddings made some interesting points about us on RS last night. I do question if this squad is good enough to get promoted. At the start of the season I thought we would lack goals and legs in midfield, but the defense has been a big problem too.

Whoever we end up with has a big job, it needs someone with experience really but I am not sure in our current position that we have many choices that would bring the club together.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on October 19, 2022, 08:50:48 am by Alan Southstand »
Am I correct in thinking Copps involvement has been to draw up a shortlist for the Board to select from? Copps will not be making the final choice of manager, I believe that will be Blunt?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on October 19, 2022, 08:58:15 am by Jonathan »
Am I correct in thinking Copps involvement has been to draw up a shortlist for the Board to select from? Copps will not be making the final choice of manager, I believe that will be Blunt?

As I understand it the identified candidates will be interviewed by Copps and Blunt.

I would imagine it will be a combined decision with Copps holding the biggest sway on football matters.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on October 19, 2022, 09:29:18 am by ncRover »
Well if it’s schofield it’s a massive mistake in my eyes and a complete sideways step. He is just a glorified GMS. He wants to play a high tempo high press game which I don’t think is possible with this squad (especially the ageing midfield) I hope I’m wrong but I see this ending badly.

Would McSheffrey have been in the situation to have been offered a job by a top end championship club? No.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012