Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 06:25:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25651 times)

redarmi66

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #330 on October 19, 2022, 02:46:19 pm by redarmi66 »
I don't think Copps is part of any deception nor do I think he is "prostituting" himself. It's a job like any other and he works for the owners/board. I therefore don't hold him to any higher standard than I would any other paid employee of the club. Great player, legend of the club and from what I understand a thoroughly nice bloke. I think his presence can only be a positive! Those however that seek to deify him and assume that his decision making is somehow borne out of some higher moral calling or obligation to the club are in my view a little naive. To my eyes he provides a very useful buffer between fans and board and lends credibility to the decisions that the board ultimately make. I really don't see what's so appalling about that view.

And I maintain that if any appointment he makes is shall we say underwhelming, that the reaction of the fans will be far more welcoming, understanding and defensive than it would have been had Copps not been involved and Baldwin had made the appointment. To suggest that isn't part of Copps role seems to me somewhat myopic. 

This!!  Great Post. Lets just get on with it. Too many ‘experts’ in our fanbase who are entitled to an opinion of course but who are in the main not qualified. As someone posted earlier Copps knows more about football than me. I will trust him to do what he thinks is right.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on October 19, 2022, 02:53:56 pm by ChrisBx »
I'll get behind Lee or Schofield, however at this stage I think both are significant risks. There's very little on either CV that we can hang our hats on.

My preference would still be Graham Alexander and I hope that option has at least been explored.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #332 on October 19, 2022, 02:57:04 pm by Move DRFC »
Hudds fans are currently not happy with Bromby one bit, seems like Fotheringham is doing an even worse job than Schofield. Let’s hope Copps doesn’t make similar mistakes.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #333 on October 19, 2022, 03:24:02 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Copps’ reputation hangs on this appointment being successful. Given our recent history of effectively taken a chance, a risk, in appointing not just one but two managers who were without relevant experience, it could be seen as irresponsible in taking the same risk for a third time.

That experience factor is surely a major component and it could be said that both Lee and Schofield are rather light in that respect. So, although it is possible that either could mature into a good manager, another failure as a result of the absence or partial absence of this very quality would destroy faith in the judgment of the Board and the HoF.

Fans will have very passionate views on this subject, but it is not surprising that they do not just sat back and assume that senior management know what they were doing, when there is a good deal of evidence to show that this is not the case. I accept that I am not competent to make a choice, but I would like to believe that I am entitled to express an opinion. I am in effect a customer of the business after all.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on October 19, 2022, 03:29:27 pm by Dare to dream! »
Schofield now heavily favourite.

See you all in a years time, same thread!

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #335 on October 19, 2022, 03:35:57 pm by ChrisBx »

Let's hope it works out, however I really don't see the logic in this appointment.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on October 19, 2022, 03:39:00 pm by silent majority »

Let's hope it works out, however I really don't see the logic in this appointment.

I think the logic lies in the belief that we don't need a manager as such, more a head coach. Once a HoF is in place the managerial part of the role can take a back seat, therefore it should be a persons ability as a coach that makes them more suitable.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #337 on October 19, 2022, 04:00:33 pm by Upton Rover »
I think they'll be a lot of disappointed people on here very shortly.
I take it from that statement that you know who is to be our next manager or at least know of all those who are on the shortlist?

If not, what a childish & unhelpful…no, pathetically useless post.
Colin I think what he meant probably was that whoever is appointed manager there will be a large number on here that will not be happy bunnies.
I totally disagree, if a manager is appointed with some experience and a good record at Lower league level then I would say most people would be happy, like a lot of people on here they want to get at people who have negative posts, unlike some who are just positive

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #338 on October 19, 2022, 04:15:54 pm by Upton Rover »
Ian Holloway wants to return to Management, watch this space

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #339 on October 19, 2022, 04:19:51 pm by pib »

I think the logic lies in the belief that we don't need a manager as such, more a head coach. Once a HoF is in place the managerial part of the role can take a back seat, therefore it should be a persons ability as a coach that makes them more suitable.

That doesn’t explain the logic behind Schofield in particular being the man. He hasn’t really got proven ability as a Head Coach any more than he has as a Manager. (FWIW he was Head Coach at Huddersfield).

I’m not saying DS isn’t the best man btw, but it will be interesting to hear from those making the decisions why they chose him. I’m assuming from your post that it’s pretty nailed on to be DS at this stage.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #340 on October 19, 2022, 04:24:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Nothing is nailed on until it is officially announced.

Does ‘Dare to dream work for DRFC’ ?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #341 on October 19, 2022, 04:32:23 pm by jmt23 »
If he does, he is not happy with the appointment -  seriously though, good luck to whoever gets the role. My wish was for some experience, and that would seemingly be the case for the majority of posters and radio sheff presenters, it would seem the logical decision, to most.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on October 19, 2022, 04:33:11 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I’m sure it would be uncomfortable as a head of football, to have an experienced man in charge, when the head of football is himself inexperienced in his job. I see another young manager coming in.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #343 on October 19, 2022, 04:34:35 pm by ChrisBx »

So it is Schofield?  ;)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on October 19, 2022, 04:37:42 pm by Campsall rover »
I’m sure it would be uncomfortable as a head of football, to have an experienced man in charge, when the head of football is himself inexperienced in his job. I see another young manager coming in.
Disagree. I don’t think that is going to be a problem. The roles in the club will be clearly defined.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on October 19, 2022, 04:38:00 pm by silent majority »

That doesn’t explain the logic behind Schofield in particular being the man. He hasn’t really got proven ability as a Head Coach any more than he has as a Manager. (FWIW he was Head Coach at Huddersfield).

I’m not saying DS isn’t the best man btw, but it will be interesting to hear from those making the decisions why they chose him. I’m assuming from your post that it’s pretty nailed on to be DS at this stage.

No, I'm just suggesting that the criteria is different this time around.

I know in the past its been about having contacts within the game, scouting ability etc. But having a HoF and letting him make the decision is a fundamental change.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #346 on October 19, 2022, 04:46:21 pm by ravenrover »
Does a manager do that or a coach? Does a Klopp or a Pep see to the nitty gritty of a tight defence or a coach? Be interesting to see the title given to the next "manager"

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #347 on October 19, 2022, 04:51:24 pm by The Beast »
If only, pipedream!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #348 on October 19, 2022, 04:54:16 pm by Campsall rover »
If only, pipedream!
Surely you are being sarcastic.  He is well past his sell by date. No thank you from me.

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on October 19, 2022, 05:02:16 pm by Pside »

So it is Schofield?  ;)
Yep

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #350 on October 19, 2022, 05:32:34 pm by TheFunk »
It might just be that none of the other names bandied around were ever interested in the job. Some of them might not have been comfortable being a head coach and not in charge of everything. At least Schofield has won a game in the Championship unlike some of the others.

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #351 on October 19, 2022, 05:39:20 pm by Donny Dub »

I could not agree more!

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #352 on October 19, 2022, 06:02:48 pm by Upton Rover »
If only, pipedream!
Surely you are being sarcastic.  He is well past his sell by date. No thank you from me.
Put it this way, he would certainly get us in L1 and probably this season,

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #353 on October 19, 2022, 06:09:18 pm by DearneValleyRover »
If only, pipedream!
Put it this way, he would certainly get us in L1 and probably this season,
Really? Ask a Grimsby fan how that would work out

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #354 on October 19, 2022, 06:18:56 pm by Redroy »
Would rather shit bed than have him

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #355 on October 19, 2022, 06:19:24 pm by karldew »
Currently no market available on Bet Victor last I saw was Schofield 1/6

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #356 on October 19, 2022, 06:36:30 pm by Donnybax »

and surely thats sensible if you’re going to employ a head of football? Makes sense to me

MEGA1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #357 on October 19, 2022, 06:43:41 pm by MEGA1879 »
Currently no market available on Bet Victor last I saw was Schofield 1/6
Replace a failed league 2 youth team coach with a failed championship youth team coach, that just happens to be from Donny...

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #358 on October 19, 2022, 06:46:51 pm by Retdon1 »
I'll get behind Lee or Schofield, however at this stage I think both are significant risks. There's very little on either CV that we can hang our hats on.

My preference would still be Graham Alexander and I hope that option has at least been explored.

Have you seen the type of football Alexander coached teams play. He’s not the right man for us

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #359 on October 19, 2022, 06:47:37 pm by NickDRFC »
If much of this is based on Coppinger’s connection with Huddersfield & Bromby then that might be a good sign. Surely he wouldn’t come recommended unless they do still think he’s got potential - may have just been right man, wrong time at Huddersfield, too high profile a job etc but hopefully the fact that they’re still willing to recommend him suggests that there could be a decent manager there. If a good friend of mine came to ask about someone who used to work for me and I thought he was rubbish I’d tell them to run a mile.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012