Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:20:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25586 times)

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #360 on October 19, 2022, 06:51:56 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Could anyone explain to me the difference between a manager and a head coach?
Would the head coach be responsible for training, still pick the team, decide on the substitutions etc?
Would he also have the final say on transfers and backroom staff, and stand or fall by his decisions?
Isn't that what a manager used to do?
Are we hoping to change our luck just by changing a name?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #361 on October 19, 2022, 06:53:42 pm by Daniel_Smith »
The board are risk averse. Certainly more risk averse than when John Ryan was here. Whether you think that is a good or bad thing is up for debate.

Being risk averse reduces your options when looking for a manager, as you basically want someone cheap - because if it doesn't go right, you can get rid and not have to spend too much money on severance. If it goes right, happy days!!

How many lower league clubs have gone for a big name, paid a big wage, and when said manager hasn't turned things around, had to pay a big chunk of severance to get rid.

Our options were always going to be from a certain pool of non household name managers. That doesn't mean they won't be successful.

My issue with McSheffrey's appointment was he was given an audition as temp manager, failed miserably, in my opinion - and then was still given the job permanently!

I'm hoping we get lucky with Schofield, if it is him. We deserve some luck!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #362 on October 19, 2022, 06:58:54 pm by Lesonthewest »
Wikipedia says he's been appointed today!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #363 on October 19, 2022, 07:03:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
Head coaches seem to be the in thing at the moment.
Garrick going to Middlesbrough the guy from QPR looks like going to Wolves so it’s the trend.
Therefore if Schofield gets the job then this will be the same with Copps HOF. I would like an experienced manager but would that fit with a HOF. Any way whoever is chosen the performances and the results have got to improve and have us fighting at the top of the table.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #364 on October 19, 2022, 07:05:14 pm by The Beast »
Danny's definitely got his head screwed on, can't say I'm not a bit disappointed though.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #365 on October 19, 2022, 07:07:27 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The negative with Schofield is he’s a bit similar to GM in terms of not much experience when a lot of people are of the opinion that’s what we need.

I had a look at his coaching career and what stands out, compared to GM, is that Schofield has been at a few clubs learning from different people getting a good grounding. GM was with us for a couple of years as a youth coach. Schofield has been at Leeds, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Boro. It’s likely he’s had a better coaching education at these clubs. GM probably needed 5 years more doing the rounds as a coach 1st.

We’ve a decent set of players the lack of identity we had was a failure on the training ground and hopefully Schofield has the tools for that. Ok record at Huddersfield is a bit of a worry but they’ve hardly kicked on since he left. Maybe that’s the level of their squad.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #366 on October 19, 2022, 07:30:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think Copps is part of any deception nor do I think he is "prostituting" himself. It's a job like any other and he works for the owners/board. I therefore don't hold him to any higher standard than I would any other paid employee of the club. Great player, legend of the club and from what I understand a thoroughly nice bloke. I think his presence can only be a positive! Those however that seek to deify him and assume that his decision making is somehow borne out of some higher moral calling or obligation to the club are in my view a little naive. To my eyes he provides a very useful buffer between fans and board and lends credibility to the decisions that the board ultimately make. I really don't see what's so appalling about that view.

And I maintain that if any appointment he makes is shall we say underwhelming, that the reaction of the fans will be far more welcoming, understanding and defensive than it would have been had Copps not been involved and Baldwin had made the appointment. To suggest that isn't part of Copps role seems to me somewhat myopic. 

Well I'm glad we agree his presence is a positive.

I think his role is much more than an appeasement or a buffer. I hope we would agree there were some positive signs the recruitment in the summer being better than what we'd seen in previous windows including the last in Moore's reign. Copps played an active part in getting those players in with far less fuss and getting business done relatively early.

I would imagine Copps wasn't happy seeing that recruitment going to waste, just as we all were. It's highly likely he will have observed training and tried to get to the bottom of why  McSheffrey's and Eyres methods weren't getting results and subsequently with the board come to the conclusion GM had to go.

We have to trust Copps knows what qualities were missing and will be looking to fill that gap with the choice of new manager.

That doesn't mean Copps is the new messiah and he will solve everything but his role is more fundamental to the success of the club than just tokenism. 

I'd like to think if he felt he was being undermined by the board and didn't have the right influence, he would walk.

There's risks with all appointments and we won't know for a little while yet, just how well Copps has assessed those risks but I trust him to make a better decision than me!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #367 on October 19, 2022, 07:35:29 pm by RoversAlias »
Schofield has far more coaching pedigree than McSheffrey. It is mad that we elected to hand McSheffrey control of a League One team after what, a year or so coaching our academy? It made no sense really.

Schofield has been working his way up the ranks coaching youth at good clubs, had a grounding in the first team staff of last season's Championship Play-Off finalists, and his 9-game stint as the #1 has to be heavily qualified as unfortunate, since Huddersfield didn't expect to be changing manager, lost several key players from last season's team and thought continuity would work when anyone in football knows how hard it is to pick up a beaten Play-Off Final squad from the floor and get them going again.

If it is him, I do get the criticism by fans but he is a more likely success than McSheffrey ever was.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #368 on October 19, 2022, 07:49:42 pm by Upton Rover »
Welcome DS

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #369 on October 19, 2022, 07:56:05 pm by Upton Rover »
Schofield has far more coaching pedigree than McSheffrey. It is mad that we elected to hand McSheffrey control of a League One team after what, a year or so coaching our academy? It made no sense really.

Schofield has been working his way up the ranks coaching youth at good clubs, had a grounding in the first team staff of last season's Championship Play-Off finalists, and his 9-game stint as the #1 has to be heavily qualified as unfortunate, since Huddersfield didn't expect to be changing manager, lost several key players from last season's team and thought continuity would work when anyone in football knows how hard it is to pick up a beaten Play-Off Final squad from the floor and get them going again.

If it is him, I do get the criticism by fans but he is a more likely success than McSheffrey ever was.
If it is him, it show’s that the board still want to employ inexperienced manager’s, very odd indeed

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #370 on October 19, 2022, 07:57:55 pm by Donnybax »

If it is him, it show’s that the board still want to employ inexperienced manager’s, very odd indeed
or does it show forward thinking? If we’d gone experienced then they’d have failed in at least their last job

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #371 on October 19, 2022, 08:01:12 pm by ravenrover »
Where's the confirmation as to who the next Manager/Head Coach is?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #372 on October 19, 2022, 08:03:34 pm by Lifelong supporter »

or does it show forward thinking? If we’d gone experienced then they’d have failed in at least their last job

Which, of course, Schofield didn't do at all

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #373 on October 19, 2022, 08:06:09 pm by Donnybax »

Which, of course, Schofield didn't do at all
his record doesn’t look good on paper at all I appreciate however I don’t believe whoever replaced their last manager would’ve done well after most of the best players left. His coaching pedigree looks decent

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #374 on October 19, 2022, 08:42:53 pm by Copps is Magic »
'His record' covers 10 games. Is that even a record?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #375 on October 19, 2022, 08:48:51 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Board? They appointed a hof as it was clear they needed someone with footballing knowledge to determine footballing matters. The hof will be responsible for choosing the manager not the board.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #376 on October 19, 2022, 08:53:11 pm by Copps is Magic »
I'm hearing Copps has had a big say on the new manager.

Martin has been saying for weeks that this would be the case.

I'm hearing something will be announced on Thursday also, Steve.

As I posted earlier in the thread, this was always in the pipeline. I think in the last few days they considered other options just to make sure they were making the best decision but DS was corted for a few weeks now.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #377 on October 19, 2022, 08:55:00 pm by Goole Rover »
Wikipedia has its Danny.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #378 on October 19, 2022, 08:57:34 pm by RoversAlias »
I can edit Wikipedia and say our manager is Noel Edmonds if I want, means nowt.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #379 on October 19, 2022, 09:00:35 pm by normal rules »
Wikipedia has its Danny.

Lol. Look again.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #380 on October 19, 2022, 09:07:58 pm by StocksArmy »
In DS's defense... Huddersfield lost big key players in the summer and have hardly pulled any trees up since his sacking. So rather than inheriting a weak team in the worlds most competitive league, he now inherits a good team in a poor league. Could be a good fit.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #381 on October 19, 2022, 09:08:51 pm by Copps is Magic »
In DS's defense... Huddersfield lost big key players in the summer and have hardly pulled any trees up since his sacking. So rather than inheriting a weak team in the worlds most competitive league, he now inherits a good team in a poor league. Could be a good fit.

Stop being impartial and sensible.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #382 on October 19, 2022, 09:17:58 pm by jmt23 »
Does anyone know what his football style is, I’m not sure it can be based on his short spell with Huddersfield, surely he will have tried to keep that team playing as it was previously.

Just wondering if we have the players that can fit his style?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #383 on October 19, 2022, 09:19:40 pm by roversdude »
Where about in Doncaster is DS from

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #384 on October 19, 2022, 09:23:30 pm by Upton Rover »
Noel could be a good manager, I am sure he visited Doncaster races once, surly that could put him in the running to be our next inexperienced manager

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #385 on October 19, 2022, 09:28:34 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Does anyone know what his football style is, I’m not sure it can be based on his short spell with Huddersfield, surely he will have tried to keep that team playing as it was previously.

Just wondering if we have the players that can fit his style?

I’ve heard he was a great admirer of sod

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #386 on October 19, 2022, 09:41:38 pm by belton rover »
Noel could be a good manager, I am sure he visited Doncaster races once, surly that could put him in the running to be our next inexperienced manager
Takes me back to the season we had Mr Blobby in goal.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #387 on October 19, 2022, 09:42:18 pm by RoversAlias »

Well, he does tick a lot of boxes.

Sorry, actually, he opens a lot of boxes doesn't he.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #388 on October 19, 2022, 09:52:14 pm by bedale rover »
Where about in Doncaster is DS from

Went to Balby Carr
Same year as my nephew

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #389 on October 19, 2022, 09:52:44 pm by Goole Rover »
Wikipedia has its Danny.

Lol. Look again.
I was taking the you know.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012