Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 10:15:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25704 times)

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #90 on October 17, 2022, 04:59:01 pm by jamesrover17 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 17, 2022, 05:00:08 pm by ditch_drfc »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/bolton-wanderers-coach-among-names-linked-with-doncaster-rovers-job-following-gary-mcsheffreys-sacking-3883197

What is it with this obsession with ex players?

Please can we get someone with no existing links to the club. We are desperate for a complete fresh pair of eyes.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on October 17, 2022, 05:00:21 pm by roversdude »
Rob staton saying keep an eye on Graeme Lee. FFS

As soon as I saw his name on the list, I commented that he would be a very very "Rovers- like" appointment.

He has bigger issues to concern himself with, like supporting his wife through her illness

He had the same issues before taking the Hartlepool job did he not?,did very well until having a 1 win in 11 games following it,talk about highs and lows.Still,too much of a gamble at moment for me,and I wish him and his family all the best.

Also at Hartlepool he didn’t have a 3 hour round trip

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 17, 2022, 05:02:18 pm by Drover »
David Healy, he’s been rather successful in the last few years, mores the pity

Supported Linfield all his life,and managed them 6 or 7 years now,be like trying to pursuade Billy Sharp to leave Sheff Utd if he was their manager and been successful.Doubt he would leave to manage us in our current position in league pyramid.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on October 17, 2022, 05:03:23 pm by Drover »

As soon as I saw his name on the list, I commented that he would be a very very "Rovers- like" appointment.

He has bigger issues to concern himself with, like supporting his wife through her illness

He had the same issues before taking the Hartlepool job did he not?,did very well until having a 1 win in 11 games following it,talk about highs and lows.Still,too much of a gamble at moment for me,and I wish him and his family all the best.

Also at Hartlepool he didn’t have a 3 hour round trip
Good point

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on October 17, 2022, 05:03:58 pm by roversdude »
It’s like a circle DFP get their information from this forum and then it gets reported back on here

ROKERITE

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 17, 2022, 05:09:43 pm by ROKERITE »
My suggestion will probably be greeted with hilarity but I'd appoint Sol Campbell. At both his previous jobs he had the financial rug pulled from under him before he could get his feet under the table. He still managed to keep Macclesfield in the league despite the players and himself often going unpaid. The problems at Southend were deeper as evidenced by the decline of The Shrimpers subsequently.

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on October 17, 2022, 05:10:41 pm by Pside »
Purely speculation but some awful names suggested in the free press

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/bolton-wanderers-coach-among-names-linked-with-doncaster-rovers-job-following-gary-mcsheffreys-sacking-3883197

Sam Hird?! Come on now

Jesus wept. If it’s any of those we’ve had it. Hird, Jones, Lee or schofield. Bloody hell
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:15:21 pm by Pside »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on October 17, 2022, 05:14:16 pm by Draytonian III »
David Healy, he’s been rather successful in the last few years, mores the pity

Supported Linfield all his life,and managed them 6 or 7 years now,be like trying to pursuade Billy Sharp to leave Sheff Utd if he was their manager and been successful.Doubt he would leave to manage us in our current position in league pyramid.

David Healy is under a bit of pressure at the minute, Linfield are 8 or 9 points off the top and struggling against teams Carrick Rangers and Dungannon Swifts ( managed by Dean Sheils ) . The locals were giving him plenty of grief when they got beat at home by Glentoran on Friday night.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on October 17, 2022, 05:20:23 pm by selby »
  Don't forget we are looking for an assistant manager as well, Not too keen on Nigel Adkins, although he is experienced, but if he fetched Neil Bishop from Gainsborough Trinity with him I could go along with that.
  I like everything I have heard about him and trying to get young players back into league football with good coaching and giving them the chance to express themselves, plays a high press all action game when I have watched them play, and is all action on the side line.
  And don't get on about experience, he knew every trick in the book when he played against us and knows the game inside out.
  With Adkins as a figure head I think it could well work, certainly the playing staff would be put through rigorous training as he was a fit lad playing in his later years and still looks fit although he has retired from playing.

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on October 17, 2022, 05:55:29 pm by curley »
Bishop plays one striker and just lumps the ball forward.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on October 17, 2022, 05:59:48 pm by The Beast »

I got a whisper about Greame Lee a few weeks ago, posted this on a similar named thread  on Vsc.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on October 17, 2022, 06:18:12 pm by normal rules »

I got a whisper about Greame Lee a few weeks ago, posted this on a similar named thread  on Vsc.

His record with pool was played 33 won 10 drawn 12 lost 11.
Following their defeat to Rotherham in the efl trophy semi final, Pools downturn in form sealed his fate, winning just one in 11.got to the fourth rd of the fa cup though.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on October 17, 2022, 06:21:13 pm by Daniel_Smith »

Sam Hird?! Come on now

Like it or not - the former editor of the Free Press is now Media Manager at Doncaster Rovers. I'm sure they have some insight, and as I stated before, the high likelihood will be they choose someone Copps likes and has links with the club.

Graeme Lee
Paul Green
Sam Hird
Danny Schofield

These are all names more likely to be next manager. Let's set realistic expectations please on who is likely to be put in charge full time.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on October 17, 2022, 06:23:37 pm by selby »
  Curley is that so? because when I have seen them play the wide men have been brought into play every game and attacked the area from wide positions.
  Whatever it works for them, and loads of other clubs, what do you want us to do, play a game that doesn't suit the players we have got?
  As far as I am concerned, I am not bothered how we win a game, too many great teams have failed to win things in my lifetime playing expansive football to be bothered about that.
  When the Real Madrid supporters came out of their games with PSG, Liverpool and Manchester City do you think they were bothered that they had been outplayed in their games in the champions league last season.
  You can have all the stats you want, the only one that counts is who puts the ball in the onion bag the most times buddy.
  Do that on a regular basis, and it doesn't matter how, most supporters will kiss the backside of the manager, and turn up to watch every turgid minute.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on October 17, 2022, 06:32:37 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  Curley is that so? because when I have seen them play the wide men have been brought into play every game and attacked the area from wide positions.
  Whatever it works for them, and loads of other clubs, what do you want us to do, play a game that doesn't suit the players we have got?
  As far as I am concerned, I am not bothered how we win a game, too many great teams have failed to win things in my lifetime playing expansive football to be bothered about that.
  When the Real Madrid supporters came out of their games with PSG, Liverpool and Manchester City do you think they were bothered that they had been outplayed in their games in the champions league last season.
  You can have all the stats you want, the only one that counts is who puts the ball in the onion bag the most times buddy.
  Do that on a regular basis, and it doesn't matter how, most supporters will kiss the backside of the manager, and turn up to watch every turgid minute.

Hoofball doesn't suit our current players.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on October 17, 2022, 06:37:46 pm by ncRover »
I don't know much about him but Schofield seems a bit like Huddersfield's version of McSheffrey.

Coached in their academy and then propelled into the first team manager role too early.

Although they only gave him 9 games so it's difficult to tell whether or not he'd have improved them in time.

A championship version of McSheffrey is an upgrade on McSheffrey

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on October 17, 2022, 06:38:16 pm by Jonathan »

Sam Hird?! Come on now

Like it or not - the former editor of the Free Press is now Media Manager at Doncaster Rovers. I'm sure they have some insight, and as I stated before, the high likelihood will be they choose someone Copps likes and has links with the club.

Graeme Lee
Paul Green
Sam Hird
Danny Schofield

These are all names more likely to be next manager. Let's set realistic expectations please on who is likely to be put in charge full time.

I do not think Coppinger will just pick somebody that he likes. And nor do I think we will appoint Sam Hird.

To some extent it’s better to read an article like that than any spin around top class applicants. We’re doing it differently this time, and perhaps managing expectations comes with that.

We won’t have to wait long anyway.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on October 17, 2022, 06:41:00 pm by donnybez »
What about Jonathan Greening (Scarborough Ath) or Jon Askey (York C) if we're looking towards the non league for experience? They've both turned their respective clubs on their heads and are smashing it at higher levels presently.

JFH would be grand but hasn't really done it outside of Burton A and it hardly worked for him this time out.
Dave Artell has good youth development and budget management, but was one of a couple of managers to perform worse then GMc and Rovers last year.
Rob Edwards would be a shout but he might think he's earnt the chance to manage higher up. Otherwise we could include Steve Morison in there as managers with higher level experience.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on October 17, 2022, 07:14:05 pm by LincsRover »
Out of the names discussed so far I quite like the idea of Danny Schofield - sacked 9 games into the season with Huddersfield so still time to change things if he’d stayed (?) but did ok with them previous season and young enough to still be developing. Championship experience and potential to show he is better than his last season with Huddersfield? At least he’s not an ex-player and can bring in fresh eyes & experience.

Some will say he failed last time but let’s face it, we’re TLO donny and whoever we get, they will probably have failed it had one poor season somewhere or they wouldn’t be interested in us.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on October 17, 2022, 07:17:03 pm by monkeytennis »
Bishop plays one striker and just lumps the ball forward.

He sounds perfect

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on October 17, 2022, 07:29:30 pm by Copps is Magic »
Are ex-players a complete right off then?

Sounds daft to me to come to that assumption.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on October 17, 2022, 07:31:35 pm by Jonathan »
What about Jonathan Greening (Scarborough Ath) or Jon Askey (York C) if we're looking towards the non league for experience? They've both turned their respective clubs on their heads and are smashing it at higher levels presently.

JFH would be grand but hasn't really done it outside of Burton A and it hardly worked for him this time out.
Dave Artell has good youth development and budget management, but was one of a couple of managers to perform worse then GMc and Rovers last year.
Rob Edwards would be a shout but he might think he's earnt the chance to manage higher up. Otherwise we could include Steve Morison in there as managers with higher level experience.

Re: your comment on Artell, one of the other managers with a worse record than McSheffrey last year is Wellens. He’s not done a bad job of taking time out and coming back stronger. If we want experience then we’ll have to take somebody that’s experienced at least some level of failure along the way.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on October 17, 2022, 07:46:55 pm by Dare to dream! »
Graham Alexander the outstanding candidate of the names mentioned imo.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on October 17, 2022, 07:47:29 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Alexander for me.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on October 17, 2022, 07:51:57 pm by colincramb »

Can I ask why?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on October 17, 2022, 07:53:11 pm by Upton Rover »
Lee/Green/Hird
What a joke the free press is

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on October 17, 2022, 07:54:09 pm by Upton Rover »
The free press forgot
Stock & Lockwood

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on October 17, 2022, 07:55:25 pm by NickDRFC »
Out of the names discussed so far I quite like the idea of Danny Schofield - sacked 9 games into the season with Huddersfield so still time to change things if he’d stayed (?) but did ok with them previous season and young enough to still be developing. Championship experience and potential to show he is better than his last season with Huddersfield? At least he’s not an ex-player and can bring in fresh eyes & experience.

Some will say he failed last time but let’s face it, we’re TLO donny and whoever we get, they will probably have failed it had one poor season somewhere or they wouldn’t be interested in us.

Danny Schofield wasn’t in charge last season - those 9 games are it in terms of his time as (permanent) Huddersfield boss.

This thread shows that you’ll never have anyone meet with universal approval. Some think Artell would be terrible, some think he’d be great. Likewise Nigel Adkins. Ditto Graham Alexander. Hopefully with whoever gets the job, we can just see what Blunt has to say about the reasons for their appointment, listen to the manager’s hopes and plans for the club and then give them a chance. There will always be some noisy dissenters but I imagine that most of our fans will get behind whoever we appoint.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on October 17, 2022, 08:04:27 pm by scawsby steve »

Can I ask why?

Got Fleetwood promoted to League 1. Got Scunthorpe to the League 1 play-offs. Got Salford promoted to League 2.

I'd say that's the kind of experience we need.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012