Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 10:15:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 25703 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #300 on October 19, 2022, 11:46:53 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I commend the club for changing their recruitment process, and if DS is announced tomorrow, and he was headhunted by Copps, I trust that man because he knows more about football than me.

Stop being sensible….

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on October 19, 2022, 11:48:48 am by Campsall rover »
I think they'll be a lot of disappointed people on here very shortly.
I take it from that statement that you know who is to be our next manager or at least know of all those who are on the shortlist?

If not, what a childish & unhelpful…no, pathetically useless post.
Colin I think what he meant probably was that whoever is appointed manager there will be a large number on here that will not be happy bunnies.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #302 on October 19, 2022, 11:51:09 am by ditch_drfc »
Feels like groundhog day... here we go again with another inexperienced manager that has connections to the club.

Whoever it is we'll get behind them but I would really like a complete fresh pair of eyes (and some significant experience).

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on October 19, 2022, 11:53:54 am by Herbert Anchovy »
We all know that Copps is going to be fundamental in selecting the new manager.

We all know that Copps has the best interests of the club at heart

We all have faith that Copps will always look to make the right decision for the club

Copps has forgotten more about football management than all of us on here will ever know

Whoever the club selects (even if it’s someone the majority on here don’t fancy) we can rest assured they’re the best person available for the job

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #304 on October 19, 2022, 11:54:21 am by selby »
  I think the time is fast approaching that someone at the club wants to make it plain some people with an opinion on social media and making noises want to go and sex and travel and show who runs the club, who really puts the money up, and will appoint who they want.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #305 on October 19, 2022, 11:57:14 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
  I think the time is fast approaching that someone at the club wants to make it plain some people with an opinion on social media and making noises want to go and sex and travel and show who runs the club, who really puts the money up, and will appoint who they want.

I mean that's an interesting way of putting it?  Who doesn't like the sex and travel? 

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on October 19, 2022, 12:04:02 pm by Dare to dream! »
If we knew Schofield/Lee would be the successor, would people still have wanted GM sacked?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on October 19, 2022, 12:14:40 pm by RoversAlias »
Is Copps mates with Leigh Bromby or did he just do some legwork to prepare for the HoF role with him? Maybe he spent time with Schofield as part of this and liked what he saw.

If either DS or GL get the job I hope they bring in an experienced assistant.
Someone who has promotion on their CV as a coach or manager.

A very positive influence not only on the training ground but also a very good motivator in the changing room.

Remembering Graeme Lee as a player, surely he wouldn't need any help motivating players! I thought he did well at Hartlepool until one bad run, nowadays that gets you the sack.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on October 19, 2022, 12:18:16 pm by philsky »
I commend the club for changing their recruitment process, and if DS is announced tomorrow, and he was headhunted by Copps, I trust that man because he knows more about football than me.

Stop being sensible….

100%. We need irrational thoughts and ideas just now

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on October 19, 2022, 12:26:07 pm by redarmi66 »
If we knew Schofield/Lee would be the successor, would people still have wanted GM sacked?

Yes

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on October 19, 2022, 12:28:24 pm by ditch_drfc »

It doesn't matter who our new manager is, they can't be worse than GM.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #311 on October 19, 2022, 12:46:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I really hope it's someone who can just get a basic grasp of the simple basics of the game which we've been deviod of for far too long. We've excelled at making a simple game look difficult.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on October 19, 2022, 12:58:23 pm by ncRover »

We all have faith that Copps will always look to make the right decision for the club

Copps has forgotten more about football management than all of us on here will ever know

Whoever the club selects (even if it’s someone the majority on here don’t fancy) we can rest assured they’re the best person available for the job

Spot on. Was McSheffrey a Coppinger appointment or was he appointed before Copps got the new job?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #313 on October 19, 2022, 01:01:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Spot on. Was McSheffrey a Coppinger appointment or was he appointed before Copps got the new job?

A couple month before Copps became HoF.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on October 19, 2022, 01:22:10 pm by Copps is Magic »
What is the obsession with ex players and people with Doncaster connections. Who gives a monkeys.  Forget all this and let’s find the right man for the job.

Schofield was born in Doncaster but what other connections does he have with the club?

Would you have ruled out Keegan on the same basis?

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on October 19, 2022, 01:26:18 pm by TommyC »

I really hope you're right and that Copps genuinely does have the clout that we are led to believe he does. The alternative of course is that he's simply a talking head, put in place to appease the fans at a time where they were less than happy at the McSheffrey appointment. We all remember the stick that Baldwin and Blunt were getting for being "bean counters" and not "football men" and going for the "cheap option" around that time. It made perfect sense to give Copps a bit of a fancy title, a payrise and some enhanced status around the place to appease the fans. With Copps in place it gives decisions made by the club some credibility and removes the ability to criticise the Board. It allows them to distance themselves from the "footballing decisions" etc. I'm genuinely sceptical however that Copps is actually the one choosing our next Manager though.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on October 19, 2022, 01:31:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Is Copps mates with Leigh Bromby or did he just do some legwork to prepare for the HoF role with him? Maybe he spent time with Schofield as part of this and liked what he saw.

If either DS or GL get the job I hope they bring in an experienced assistant.
Someone who has promotion on their CV as a coach or manager.

A very positive influence not only on the training ground but also a very good motivator in the changing room.

Remembering Graeme Lee as a player, surely he wouldn't need any help motivating players! I thought he did well at Hartlepool until one bad run, nowadays that gets you the sack.
I didn’t say he wouldn’t be able to motivate the players Alias.
What my words were intended to mean is that an inexperienced manager will need a more experienced person along side him,
Yes a good motivator is also a big plus. Yes GL was a leader on the field definitely. A proper captain.

I don’t know much about his managerial skills but I would not think he would be shy in the dressing room.
Would expect he is be able to get his message across to the players with an authoritative and motivational voice.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 01:34:28 pm by Campsall rover »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on October 19, 2022, 01:38:37 pm by MachoMadness »
If it is Schofield as seems very likely, I'd be very surprised if Copps links to the Huddersfield setup played no part in it. In fact I'd be willing to bet it's a very big part, and he's the one who's driving it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on October 19, 2022, 01:45:30 pm by Campsall rover »
If it is Schofield as seems very likely, I'd be very surprised if Copps links to the Huddersfield setup played no part in it. In fact I'd be willing to bet it's a very big part, and he's the one who's driving it.
Copps will have done his home work on this appointment.

Whoever gets the gig we must trust in JC’s judgement and Get behind the new manager.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on October 19, 2022, 01:49:03 pm by Batleyred »
Can not believe people are saying Copps is a puppet to the board. Its dam right slanderous. All the effort Copps has put into this position all the learning time away from his family learning through mentors list goes on.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on October 19, 2022, 02:02:25 pm by TommyC »
Oh pipe down with your self-righteousness.  You've kind of proved my point though and aptly demonstrated that it will be practically impossible to criticise an appointment that Copps has fronted up. He's untouchable. Big contrast to if Baldwin, Blunt or any other board member was fronting up the appointment isn't it. Copps by his very involvement gives it credibility with the fans, something that was so lacking with the McSheffrey appointment. 

As I said, I hope Copps does indeed have the power we are led to believe and equally, I hope that whoever is appointed is given the opportunity to prove themselves.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:05:32 pm by TommyC »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on October 19, 2022, 02:07:45 pm by Donnybax »
It’s a really tough one isn’t it. If you go down the experience route then they’re going to have to have failed at least at their last job and probably more. If not why would they be coming to l2?

If we go inexperienced then they’re going to be a risk and people will think it is taking a punt. I would personally rather go down the “inexperienced route”

If it is to be Schofield I think you have to forgive him his time at Hudds. They’d lost their best players and whoever replaced their last manager was going to struggle. McCann really struggled at Hull after they lost their best players in the championship it doesn’t make him a bad manager.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on October 19, 2022, 02:10:22 pm by Batleyred »
The point is he hasn't appointed anyone yet and the daggers are out ready.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on October 19, 2022, 02:12:44 pm by ncRover »
Thanks DonnyOsmond. So this will be Coppinger’s first appointment.

To those who aren’t happy, do you not trust that Coppinger might know better than you what’s best?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on October 19, 2022, 02:13:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I really hope you're right and that Copps genuinely does have the clout that we are led to believe he does. The alternative of course is that he's simply a talking head, put in place to appease the fans at a time where they were less than happy at the McSheffrey appointment. We all remember the stick that Baldwin and Blunt were getting for being "bean counters" and not "football men" and going for the "cheap option" around that time. It made perfect sense to give Copps a bit of a fancy title, a payrise and some enhanced status around the place to appease the fans. With Copps in place it gives decisions made by the club some credibility and removes the ability to criticise the Board. It allows them to distance themselves from the "footballing decisions" etc. I'm genuinely sceptical however that Copps is actually the one choosing our next Manager though.

It's really sad that you are that sceptical. Do you really think Copps would prostitute himself to be part of an elaborate deception?

Maybe you're beginning to believe the propaganda coming from the anti board mob?

Whatever you and others think, there can't be many better placed 'football' men at Doncaster Rovers therefore, his appointment as HoF ought be to applauded and seen as sensible. On top of that, why would he put himself in such a responsible role and risk his entire reputation knowing how important these pivotal decisions are ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on October 19, 2022, 02:15:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Oh pipe down with your self-righteousness.  You've kind of proved my point though and aptly demonstrated that it will be practically impossible to criticise an appointment that Copps has fronted up. He's untouchable. Big contrast to if Baldwin, Blunt or any other board member was fronting up the appointment isn't it. Copps by his very involvement gives it credibility with the fans, something that was so lacking with the McSheffrey appointment. 

As I said, I hope Copps does indeed have the power we are led to believe and equally, I hope that whoever is appointed is given the opportunity to prove themselves.
Believe me if it goes badly wrong Copps will get criticised.

Your above post is ridiculous. Copps would not have taken this job just to be a front man. No way.

He will have 90% say in this appointment. Blunt will just sign it off and agree salary and contract terms.
If you think differently that’s your choice, but you will be wide of the mark very wide, nearly as wide as Martin Woods penalty. Oh sorry it was just high not wide.

Damned if you do damned if you don’t. We wanted a football man in charge of football matters didn’t we?  Well we have got one.

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on October 19, 2022, 02:30:00 pm by TommyC »
I don't think Copps is part of any deception nor do I think he is "prostituting" himself. It's a job like any other and he works for the owners/board. I therefore don't hold him to any higher standard than I would any other paid employee of the club. Great player, legend of the club and from what I understand a thoroughly nice bloke. I think his presence can only be a positive! Those however that seek to deify him and assume that his decision making is somehow borne out of some higher moral calling or obligation to the club are in my view a little naive. To my eyes he provides a very useful buffer between fans and board and lends credibility to the decisions that the board ultimately make. I really don't see what's so appalling about that view.

And I maintain that if any appointment he makes is shall we say underwhelming, that the reaction of the fans will be far more welcoming, understanding and defensive than it would have been had Copps not been involved and Baldwin had made the appointment. To suggest that isn't part of Copps role seems to me somewhat myopic. 

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on October 19, 2022, 02:35:00 pm by Barmby Rover »
Does it matter that much which manager we get? If somebody comes in, is relatively successful and just misses out on playoffs, surely then his agent gets onto the market, trumpets his success and he goes to another club as in McCann. Or if he manages only mid to low-table, he gets out before he is sacked. Either way we go through it all again before next season.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on October 19, 2022, 02:42:05 pm by Bessie Red »
I really hope it's someone who can just get a basic grasp of the simple basics of the game which we've been deviod of for far too long. We've excelled at making a simple game look difficult.

This is what Graeme Lee said in his first interview after he was sacked by Hartlepool -
“The target was keeping the club in the league. I had my plan and that was to tighten things up, be harder to beat and then build confidence from that. We did that and more through the coming months.

“The cup journeys we had were amazing and unforgettable, creating an unbelievable atmosphere and bond between the team and fans.

“It hurts as I know I would have took us forward and had plans in place to build a squad to challenge at the top end of the league next season. 

Sounds like he would get the defence in order if he got the job. That would solve a great deal of our current problems!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012