Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:35:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield Confirmed  (Read 8683 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield Confirmed
« Reply #30 on October 20, 2022, 10:28:24 am by Campsall rover »
The first thing he needs to do is tell the players they are all very good players.
Get them believing in their own ability, build confidence.
That is what I am sure he will do in his first team talk.

We do have good players it is just a case of belief and then getting a way of playing indoctrinated into the squad.

Yes we are short of a couple of key players right now and another 2/3 are not up to speed match fitness wise yet.
I think with a positive voice at the helm, we may suddenly see the injured players recover rather quicker than they would otherwise.

Really believe that this could be an inspired appointment. Interested to see who he brings in as his assistant/right hand man.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 20, 2022, 10:34:32 am by andy didcott »
Breath of fresh air at last, good lucky Danny, now let’s get in them playoffs

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 20, 2022, 10:37:36 am by Upton Rover »
It would be useful to see his Job Description. Is he “manager” in all but name? If not how will responsibility be apportioned? Will Copps have that role?

He is Head Coach not manager
A manager has complete control over his staff, transfers and player contracts unless, of course, they're working under a meddling owner. While a head coach just trains and picks the team, with the owner or director of football taking the pressure off them by dealing with the rest.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 20, 2022, 10:40:01 am by MachoMadness »
Massive Risk. What’s the difference between MCS and Schofield? …… 9 games leading first team. Maybe a good coach but no experience or success of leading the first team. Anyway what do I know. Hope all goes well
There is a vast gulf between McSheffrey, who managed our U18s from our cat 3 academy for a few years, and Schofield, who has much more experience coaching - to be frank - better players in better setups. He often did interviews and press conferences at Huddersfield too, even before being head coach, so you'd imagine he won't have the problems GMS had with airing dirty laundry in the press and killing morale.

Ok, he doesn't have much experience being the main man but this is much less of a risk than McSheffrey was.

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 20, 2022, 10:40:55 am by TommyC »
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

I wish him well - but can't help but think he's spoken a good game in an interview but very little evidence to back it up. Can't help but feel we needed someone who has a proven record at this level. Are we just not fishing in that pond any more?

I agree. It's a strange one in that whilst all the talk is understandably around Schofield's appointment, it does to me really bring Copps' role into sharp focus. I'm perfectly happy for us to try the Head Coach under a Director of Football structure. It has worked in other clubs so why not give it a go. On that basis and looked at in that way, I actually think Danny Schofield could be really good in that role. Assessed purely as a Head Coach, he's actually quite a good appointmenmt. So that box is ticked as far as i'm concerned.

Where the concerns linger though is whether or not our Director of Football actually has the skills, experience and knowledge to perform the Director of Football role. I appreciate it is sacrilege to say anything even remotely questioning of Copps and i'll be pilloried for doing so, but this appointment would sit far more easily with me if we had someone of experience in the Director of Football role. Other than him being massively popular with the fans and a club legend and therefore ticking all the emotive boxes, what actual practical experience does he have to perform the role? He was appointed to it with much fanfair and nobody really questioned it just because well, you know, "it's Copps".

I do hope it works out for both Schofield and Copps. I will be delighted if it does. But to me it still doesn't look quite right from an "experience" side of things. Let's hope i'm proved wrong because the uncomfortable truth is that moving forwards, Copps and Schofield can only really be judged together. They are now both two sides of the same managerial coin. If it's successful then they both succeed and will both take the plaudits. If it fails, it will be a reflection on Copps as much as it will Schofield though.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 10:44:31 am by TommyC »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 20, 2022, 10:49:30 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Copps deserves credit for doing it quickly too. Not even 1 game with a caretaker in charge which is such a turn around in our previous approach. Yes experience is a risk but one i'm ok with this time. Every appointment has a risk it won't work out.

Schofield has been at our last few games as well so Copps was probably speaking to him ahead of the sacking getting our house in order to move fast when the time was right. We've been calling for this proactive approach for a while now and the club has delivered it.

Wether the appointment works or not we have to give credit for the turn around since GM was appointed off the pitch. It's a shame GM wasn't a very good manager or else we'd be much more positive about the changes that have happened

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 20, 2022, 10:54:12 am by DearneValleyRover »
Danny is the person Copps wanted and got him, good luck to both they have my full support

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 20, 2022, 11:01:24 am by Colin C No.3 »
Good luck & welcome Danny.

I hope you come with a plan.
I hope that plan aims at playing on the front foot i.e. attacking, attractive football.

You’ll have a couple of days with the players before the Crewe game. No doubt on this forum you’ll be hailed as ‘the 2nd coming’ if we win in style & by 2 clear goals or more.

A draw with a good performance will probably get you a ‘he’s stopped the rot & the players seem to know their roles playing to a recognisable plan”.

A loss won’t be the ‘end of the world’ if again the players look to know what has been asked of them & have tried to implement it then the probable consensus will be ‘it’s his first game & he will have learned a lot about the group & the changes needed”.

Get tanked by 3,4 or more & it’ll be a case of “what was the point in getting rid of GM for this?”!!

As I said, good luck & welcome but I hope you bring broad shoulders with ‘that plan’ cos sometime down the road, be it sooner or later, you’re going to need them. Ask Sean O’Driscoll.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:14:54 am by Colin C No.3 »

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 20, 2022, 11:03:51 am by keyser_soze »
Danny is the person Copps wanted and got him, good luck to both they have my full support

Pleased to see the Copps interview to give some context behind the appointment, sounds like Danny was his first choice and the contact emerged after being around him a few months ago (didn't remember/realise he had spent time at Huddersfield) - but thought the opportunity was lost when he was appointed manager at Huddersfield. Obviously this changed and he became available, its refreshing to see that we had a plan, we've executed it swiftly and decisively and the board deserve credit for backing Copps to make this move.

Results will be the defining factor, i think we can all agree we'll be delighted if this works out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:07:05 am by keyser_soze »

HomerJSimpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 20, 2022, 11:06:38 am by HomerJSimpson »
Hmmm underwhelming and same as previous in terms of lack of experience but he’s here and hopefully works wonders and becomes a quality coach. He will no doubt get plenty of support from the fans. Fingers crossed this works!!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 20, 2022, 11:24:22 am by ncRover »

Pleased to see the Copps interview to give some context behind the appointment, sounds like Danny was his first choice and the contact emerged after being around him a few months ago (didn't remember/realise he had spent time at Huddersfield) - but thought the opportunity was lost when he was appointed manager at Huddersfield. Obviously this changed and he became available, its refreshing to see that we had a plan, we've executed it swiftly and decisively and the board deserve credit for backing Copps to make this move.

Results will be the defining factor, i think we can all agree we'll be delighted if this works out.

I’d mainly just like be able to look forward to a home game rather than feeling obliged to turn up for routine punishment.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 20, 2022, 11:29:57 am by Donnyjim »
Looks like the cheap option again from a club that is incremental yearly decline. Good luck to the guy. I fear he may be hung to dry like the others. If Guardiola came in we'd still only finish mid table. This is our ambition with this board.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 20, 2022, 11:34:59 am by RugbyRover »
its going to be interesting to see what changes he makes setting up the team. GM tried loads of stuff but nothing seemed to work.

I just hope he has more luck than his two previous predecessors.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 20, 2022, 11:36:55 am by ForsolongaRover »
I had hoped that my question about Job Description would  have been clarified by now. Not doing so leaves too much up in the air. The HoF role may well have modified, but it is not apparent in what Copps says. Does the Chairman have a word or two for us at this important time?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 20, 2022, 11:49:08 am by eastender »

Some are saying that he’s no different to GMS, but GMS would not have even been on a 50 man shortlist for the Huddersfield job.

I'm not sure Schofield would have been on the Huddersfield short list if hadn't played for them.

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 20, 2022, 11:53:39 am by Redroy »
Let's be f**king having it Danny. Welcome mate.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 20, 2022, 11:59:08 am by phil old leake »
I hope he’s a success but to be honest I’m a little underwhelmed

Not got much of a managerial record according to Wikipedia

Huddersfield. Win rate 11%.  I hope he’s a success and good luck to him. I how I’m wrong and he can do great things.  Being a good coach is different to being a good manager. 

Good luck hopefully a success.  Let’s get behind him

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 20, 2022, 12:00:43 pm by WarwickRover »
My udders field ST mate says Schofield was highly rated, given a hospital pass at Town, will do a good job for the Rovers and ….. wish he was back at Town. Onwards and upwards

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 20, 2022, 12:04:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
He's not been employed as a manager.

He's been employed as a head coach, and has much more coaching experience than managerial.

Get off wikipedia folks and give him a chance.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 20, 2022, 12:09:15 pm by ChrisBx »
Welcome and good luck. It will be a tough job but also a great opportunity for him as a young coach.

He came across very well in his first interview. Upbeat, intelligent and sensible. Let's hope he hits the ground running as there's plenty to play for this season.

Also, how refreshing is it to have this sorted inside a week?!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on October 20, 2022, 12:12:43 pm by danumdon »
First off its good to see a fresh pair of eyes come into the club and get to work with our squad, a new direction and focus was solely needed. Its also good that we have a head coach that will be able to fit well into the strategy that JC will be installing into the club, this was not a given if we had gone down the "old head experienced manager route" so that looks like its an issue we don't have to worry about behind the scenes.

As for Danny some are saying we are at risk again with a relatively inexperienced coach but when we look behind the title you can see that their is clear daylight with the coaching trajectories between him and GM, coached at a higher level, for longer, with better players progressing from a better youth setup. he's had experience of working with some good coaches both native and international so it stands to reason that he's used that experience to formulate his own coaching strategy.

To me "age and experience" are not exclusive, if you are good enough to be considered to take on a level 2 club as head coach then that to me tells me he's well thought of and was considered as someone who had it in him to deal with that situation.

All good pointers for me, welcome to Rovers Danny, i think you may of once wanted to play for us and this is as good an opportunity, i hope you do great.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 20, 2022, 12:15:53 pm by NickDRFC »

He's been employed as a head coach, and has much more coaching experience than managerial.

I’m not sure it matters what his title is, he’s going to be the main man on the training pitch, in the dressing room and in the dugout and he’ll be managing the squad of players.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 20, 2022, 12:18:51 pm by The Red Baron »
Thank God, after two years of constant decline, the board have been decisive and quickly replaced McSheffrey with Danny Schofield. A real manager at last and a chance to return some positivity to the club. Welcome Danny and I hope the majority of fans give him a chance to prove himself.

Actually he's not a manager- he's very much a coach. I guess Copps will pick up things like signings and contracts.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 20, 2022, 12:22:09 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
My udders field ST mate says Schofield was highly rated, given a hospital pass at Town, will do a good job for the Rovers and ….. wish he was back at Town. Onwards and upwards

I’ve also been told very similar. Seems that there’s quite a few issues at Town, nothing to do with DS, but which affected the team’s performances. Consensus seems to be that he was on a hiding to nothing from the start.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 20, 2022, 12:22:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
Right, job done. Let’s get on with it. First session at training today, how to defend. Hope you’ve got some new thinking Danny boy!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 20, 2022, 12:27:39 pm by Copps is Magic »

I’m not sure it matters what his title is, he’s going to be the main man on the training pitch, in the dressing room and in the dugout and he’ll be managing the squad of players.

Of course it matters. Some 'managers' don't or rarely even enter the training ground to work on coaching the players. Plenty of examples of that. When Copps became HOFO, certain managerial functions were appointed to Copps.

He's been appointed as HC. Whether you accept it or not, its a broader trend in the game.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 20, 2022, 12:32:42 pm by Upton Rover »

Of course it matters. Some 'managers' don't or rarely even enter the training ground to work on coaching the players. Plenty of examples of that. When Copps became HOFO, certain managerial functions were appointed to Copps.

He's been appointed as HC. Whether you accept it or not, its a broader trend in the game.
I would like an example of a manager in any of the English league’s that either rarely or doesn’t enter the training ground, that’s a ridiculous statement, if you can prove any manager that does that then I will hold my hand up

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 20, 2022, 12:37:32 pm by glosterred »
The thing with new managers is that you cannot please all the people all the time, there will always be those are for him, those that don’t want him and those that are willing to give him a chance. The real trouble is those that don’t want him it will be very difficult to get them to change their mind, every defeat or poor game will be chorused with told you so and every game where there is a win or good performance will be followed by he was lucky, the other team was poor etc.

COYR

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 20, 2022, 12:38:01 pm by Copps is Magic »

I would like an example of a manager in any of the English league’s that either rarely or doesn’t enter the training ground, that’s a ridiculous statement, if you can prove any manager that does that then I will hold my hand up

You're going to have to spend some time listening to ex-football player podcasts (under the cosh, Open Goal etc.), players talk about it all the time. There are those who are coaches and those who give the responsibility to coaches and barely if at all take training.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 20, 2022, 12:41:55 pm by Campsall rover »

Brian Clough.
Very rarely took training sessions.

At present I can’t name anyone. Think they are a very rare breed, possibly extinct.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012