Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 04:41:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/World Cup  (Read 21391 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: England/World Cup
« Reply #180 on December 04, 2022, 05:37:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Early rumours suggest he's leaving Rashford out for Saka.

Hope not. There's no way France would have left Mbappe out. Get the game won with your best in form players.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on December 04, 2022, 05:40:12 pm by phil old leake »
The BBC news sight says that’s happening
What a joke.  I thought he said he’d play people on form.obviously not

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #182 on December 04, 2022, 05:43:13 pm by Spud »
Saka didn't do much to get rotated in the first place, I've no issue whichever one starts. Rashford could make a great impact sub, his two strikes apart I didn't think he was great against Wales.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on December 04, 2022, 05:45:08 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Same was poor on the ball. Keeper had a mare for both his goals.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on December 04, 2022, 05:53:44 pm by drfchound »
Saka was terrific in the first two games.
We have loads of really good players so whoever starts will draw criticism from some fans who think they would pick different players.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on December 04, 2022, 05:55:44 pm by NickDRFC »
Some seem to be forgetting that Saka scored twice and was man of the match in the opening game. Not great against the US but then who was? Rashford’s pace off the bench will be a great asset to run at tiring Senegal defenders if we need it.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on December 04, 2022, 06:11:43 pm by arkseyrover »
No need to worry ......... Gareth has a plan!!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on December 04, 2022, 07:38:16 pm by selby »
 Senegal have got it sussed just park 11 men in your own half and let the other side make a mistake passing the ball across the pitch.
  They are not even challenging just watching the from me to you in front of them and waiting for a b*ll*ck being dropped.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on December 04, 2022, 07:54:00 pm by Campsall rover »
2 great goals.
Bellingham looks the real deal tonight.

3rd goal kills it.  Come on England.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on December 04, 2022, 07:58:24 pm by Filo »
2 great goals.
Bellingham looks the real deal tonight.

3rd goal kills it.  Come on England.

Bellingham is the real deal fantastic player

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on December 04, 2022, 08:09:23 pm by drfchound »
Great finish by Kane too.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on December 04, 2022, 08:19:05 pm by drfchound »
Great third goal.  Saka……….

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on December 04, 2022, 08:32:36 pm by Campsall rover »
3 fantastically worked goals

Looking good.
Can we produce against France? 

Should be some game. Who takes their chances will prevail as I think both teams will have a few.
The winner v Brazil in the final.

We could do it not saying we will but we could win this World Cup
Ever the optimist.
 :thumbsup: :that:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on December 04, 2022, 08:55:31 pm by drfchound »
Maybe we only win the World Cup in a year when the last two numbers are the same.    1966 followed by 2022.
There isn’t another one until 2066.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on December 04, 2022, 09:02:11 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Will play 3 at the back next week. Walker making up the third to pocket mbappe.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on December 04, 2022, 09:08:18 pm by Campsall rover »
Maybe we only win the World Cup in a year when the last two numbers are the same.    1966 followed by 2022.
Better make it this year then hound. I will be 111 in 2066  ;)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on December 04, 2022, 09:11:48 pm by drfchound »

And I will be 114.
If we keep in touch maybe we could watch it together. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on December 04, 2022, 09:18:46 pm by Campsall rover »

And I will be 114.
If we keep in touch maybe we could watch it together.
Sounds like a plan hound.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on December 04, 2022, 09:22:26 pm by tyke1962 »
A bit iffy for 35 minutes until we worked out that it isn't a crime to knock it long and relieve some pressure .

Three superbly constructed and well taken goals with the second bang on half time knocking the stuffing completely out of Senegal .

I'd be lying if I said our defence wasn't a concern as we get to the quality end of the tournament .

You'd imagine the French would take at least one the opportunities Senegal had in that first half , maybe both .

That said the French are beatable in my opinion and aren't quite as good as they were four years ago which isn't to say they aren't a good team , four years ago Mbappe was a bit of icing on the cake but now they rely on him big time .

Keep him quiet and we can progress .

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on December 04, 2022, 09:29:43 pm by DonnyNoel »
A bit iffy for 35 minutes until we worked out that it isn't a crime to knock it long and relieve some pressure .

Three superbly constructed and well taken goals with the second bang on half time knocking the stuffing completely out of Senegal .

I'd be lying if I said our defence wasn't a concern as we get to the quality end of the tournament .

You'd imagine the French would take at least one the opportunities Senegal had in that first half , maybe both .

That said the French are beatable in my opinion and aren't quite as good as they were four years ago which isn't to say they aren't a good team , four years ago Mbappe was a bit of icing on the cake but now they rely on him big time .

Agreed, the use of Walker will be pivotal against him. Shame this game comes as early as the quarters.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on December 04, 2022, 09:30:55 pm by Campsall rover »

Would be dangerous to think of France as a one man team, but yes keep Mbappe quiet and we will have a great chance.
Easier said than done of course.

Will Southgate change to a back 5 against France. He might. Personally I would stick not twist. We need to be positive and attack them. If we allow them to dictate then we are in trouble.
Best form of defence imo is to out score them.  I can’t see any other way of winning the game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on December 04, 2022, 09:37:15 pm by drfchound »
We can only win the game if we outscore them Tyke.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #202 on December 04, 2022, 09:49:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Was impressed with Rice tonight, along with Henderson and Bellingham, they kept a really good shape which I think that allows Bellingham to break the lines.

I thought, the switch to go long a couple of times was really good to see we are prepared to mix it up.

I suspect Mbappe will want to come inside to get at Stones and McGuire so I don't think it'll be as simple as the match up with Walker.

Again, I think Rice, Henderson and Bellingham will have to work hard to stop Griezman pulling France's strings. Be patient and we can spring their defence too.

Anything can happen and probably will.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #203 on December 04, 2022, 10:02:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We should consider the strength we have not worry so much about others.  England, France, Brazil have probably been the best three so far in the tournament and I suspect Saturdays game will be cagey, close and potentially a long night!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on December 04, 2022, 10:08:11 pm by ncRover »
Will play 3 at the back next week. Walker making up the third to pocket mbappe.

3-5-2 I reckon

Trippier
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Hendo
Bellingham

Rashford / Foden
Kane
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:46:51 pm by ncRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #205 on December 04, 2022, 10:20:34 pm by selby »
  We are great on the break, as  we demonstrated tonight after the first goal.
  Up to then Senegal refused to press high in fact set up 10 yds in their own half and watched us knock it about at the back, then they had their chance which was well saved.
  That seemed to give them the confidence to go forward in more numbers, a real mistake and they paid the price when they got stretched.
  While they had eleven between the ball and their goal, and tried to pick us off we were slow and vulnerable, a lesson for the England team and ourselves.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on December 04, 2022, 10:25:52 pm by Goole Rover »

A bit quiet about Southgate now Tyke. From 1968 to 2016 England have won six knock out games in major tournaments, Southgate has won six from 2018 to 2022.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on December 04, 2022, 10:40:19 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

A bit quiet about Southgate now Tyke. From 1968 to 2016 England have won six knock out games in major tournaments, Southgate has won six from 2018 to 2022.

And it's not just that, they make most of these games look easy, that wasn't the case even 10 years ago.

Southgate has been brilliant in tournaments undoubtedly.  It's a bit of a lottery from here in some ways. If we lose to France you can still say Southgate did a good job.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on December 04, 2022, 10:45:04 pm by grayx »
I cant remember England ever having such a strong squad. Great options on the bench.
Will Gareth choose rightly & change things early enough if needed? Big concern.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on December 04, 2022, 10:48:03 pm by selby »
  Goole' is that a reflection on Southgate or the Liverpool, Manchester United entourage not wanting to play with each other.
  We also went through periods when better players played with lesser teams and were not considered Le Tissier and Worthington two to come to mind and many others with no or few caps because of the clubs they played for being seen as inferior.
  Couple that with managers withdrawing players from squads, plus the FA going foreign with managers because it was cool and the whole chabang was lop sided and anything but serious about having the best team represent the country.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012