Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 04:18:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/World Cup  (Read 21383 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: England/World Cup
« Reply #210 on December 05, 2022, 01:39:39 am by scawsby steve »
Maybe we only win the World Cup in a year when the last two numbers are the same.    1966 followed by 2022.
There isn’t another one until 2066.
Better make it this year then hound. I will be 111 in 2066  ;)

And I will be 114.
If we keep in touch maybe we could watch it together.

You'll both have to watch it from above with Dave the Vicar.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #211 on December 05, 2022, 08:36:05 am by Glyn_Wigley »
  Goole' is that a reflection on Southgate or the Liverpool, Manchester United entourage not wanting to play with each other.
  We also went through periods when better players played with lesser teams and were not considered Le Tissier and Worthington two to come to mind and many others with no or few caps because of the clubs they played for being seen as inferior.
  Couple that with managers withdrawing players from squads, plus the FA going foreign with managers because it was cool and the whole chabang was lop sided and anything but serious about having the best team represent the country.

And none of that happening now is the true reflection of Southgate's management. I can't recall an England manager talking about the amount of detailed background preparation they do before.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on December 05, 2022, 10:46:45 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's little doubt Southgates pragmatic approach has worked again so far.

He deserves credit for his achievements so far and whilst it could be argued he has the best talent available, he's brought them together and harnessed that talent to a point where we have strong options from the bench.

We know Saturdays going to be a tough game where we will have to be at our intense and patient best but win or lose, he's got the squad into the best possible place mentally and physically (Sterling aside) to take on probably the best team in the world right now.

Just a shame one team has to go home too early.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #213 on December 05, 2022, 10:50:37 am by Donnyjim »
as good as we have been I'm sorry to say that Southgate will set us up 'not to lose' rather than 'to win'. We will sit deep against France and park the bus, thus nullifying our attacking potention. We will lose 1-0.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on December 05, 2022, 11:05:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
as good as we have been I'm sorry to say that Southgate will set us up 'not to lose' rather than 'to win'. We will sit deep against France and park the bus, thus nullifying our attacking potention. We will lose 1-0.

You may be right, and I'm also uncomfortable with that approach, but I've been proven wrong so far.

The USA game was poor from that perspective but v Wales and Senegal it shows we can break the lines and spring out from the cautious play. Maybe he has learned from previous experiences.

We wouldn't be surprised if we suck France in and live dangerously but how we counter is the key to the match. France aren't infallible.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on December 05, 2022, 11:18:31 am by selby »
  I think last night's game in the first 30 minutes we saw an alternative answer to playing out from the back.
  Senegal just did not press at all, the front players stopping ten yards in their own half, one of them making a token effort just to force a pass across the field halfway in our own half from me to you, and waiting to strike with us having room behind our back four and our own penalty area, like a slow motion chess game.
  If they had taken that one chance our keeper did well to keep out, they would never have changed their play, but they then got excited backed by a noisy set of supporters and opened up and pushed for a goal, and got caught on the break game over.
  Against teams happy to be slow and predictable playing out from the back, staying set up and not challenging just waiting for a mistake is a lot safer than a high press, and you always have three banks of players between the ball and your goal especially against teams like us who will make that mistake. I think we will see more of it, it's boring but clubs will see that first half an hour as a way to be in the game for long periods just like the Italians and Uruguay in the 50's and 60's who stifled games.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on December 05, 2022, 11:29:59 am by phil old leake »
Let’s not forget that Pickford pulled a worldy one handed save
If that had gone in it may have been a different game

In the end I thought it seemed quite an easy night

France will be different. Mbappe and Dembele were pacey against Poland. Walker and Shaw will really have their hands full. Same with Giroud he’s a quality forward always has been. The defence will have to work hard to stop that attacking threat And on top of that Greizmann supporting
I think France have looked really good so far.  If they beat France then it’s game on. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on December 05, 2022, 11:35:36 am by drfchound »
Phil, I accept your opinion matey but I have no doubt that there will be people in France saying similar things about the English players and our potential for winning the game.
It is natural to be nervous when a big game comes along.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #218 on December 05, 2022, 12:09:48 pm by dickos1 »
Well said Tyke. Never thought I would be agreeing with your Barnsley type philosophy on here but what you say about Southgate is absolutely bang on the button. He has been unbelievably lucky at how the tournaments and the draws have unwound and in the class and quality of players he has inherited. He is vastly overrated but fits snugly into the FA mindset. His safety first mentality and poor grasp of tactics have won us nothing and that isn't going to change. The sooner him and his boring personality are gone the better off we will be.

Van Gaal perfectly illustrating the difference between a canny tactical brain and hmm Gareth this afternoon .

The US were totally baffled because the Netherlands let them have the ball and played on the counter .

I'm not suggesting the Netherlands will win the world cup but simply demonstrating the difference between someone who knows his onions tactically and one who has his best strengths off the field .

Totally agree with that, Tyke. Many pundits have described the USA midfield as the most technically gifted midfield so far in the competition, and I've really enjoyed watching them; but Van Gaal had a plan to nullify that threat, and executed it perfectly.

Most technically gifted midfield in the tournament

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on December 05, 2022, 12:10:54 pm by dickos1 »
The BBC news sight says that’s happening
What a joke.  I thought he said he’d play people on form.obviously not

Saka was in form

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on December 05, 2022, 12:14:32 pm by dickos1 »
There's little doubt Southgates pragmatic approach has worked again so far.

He deserves credit for his achievements so far and whilst it could be argued he has the best talent available, he's brought them together and harnessed that talent to a point where we have strong options from the bench.

We know Saturdays going to be a tough game where we will have to be at our intense and patient best but win or lose, he's got the squad into the best possible place mentally and physically (Sterling aside) to take on probably the best team in the world right now.

Just a shame one team has to go home too early.

We’re comfortably the top scorers in the competition,  no way have we been defensive in this World Cup.
Look at the sides he’s picking, Bellingham, saka, Kane, foden, how anyone can think having those 4 in your starting 11 is pragmatic is beyond me

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on December 05, 2022, 12:16:04 pm by dickos1 »

France will be different. Mbappe and Dembele were pacey against Poland. Walker and Shaw will really have their hands full. Same with Giroud he’s a quality forward always has been. The defence will have to work hard to stop that attacking threat And on top of that Greizmann supporting
I think France have looked really good so far.  If they beat France then it’s game on. 

Lloris had to pull off more saves against Poland than Pickford did last night.
And Senegal are a much better side than Poland

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on December 05, 2022, 01:00:12 pm by Upton Rover »
We will win 3-1 and the set up will be a positive attacking 1

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #223 on December 05, 2022, 01:47:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Lloris had to pull off more saves against Poland than Pickford did last night.
And Senegal are a much better side than Poland

Good shout. Apart from those couple of Senagal chances, we controlled the game so well and to any impartial observer, the game must have seemed over with 30 mins left to play.

Yes, France have an advantage in terms of experience of winning big games but there's no doubt they'll be worried about us. If we can get into the game and create problems early doors, we'll sow seeds of doubt in their heads. Works both ways of course.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #224 on December 05, 2022, 03:08:47 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Southgate is doing alright IMO.  The only other bloke I'd like to see doing the team talk for Saturday would be Ben Stokes.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on December 05, 2022, 04:42:58 pm by tyke1962 »
A bit iffy for 35 minutes until we worked out that it isn't a crime to knock it long and relieve some pressure .

Three superbly constructed and well taken goals with the second bang on half time knocking the stuffing completely out of Senegal .

I'd be lying if I said our defence wasn't a concern as we get to the quality end of the tournament .

You'd imagine the French would take at least one the opportunities Senegal had in that first half , maybe both .

That said the French are beatable in my opinion and aren't quite as good as they were four years ago which isn't to say they aren't a good team , four years ago Mbappe was a bit of icing on the cake but now they rely on him big time .

Keep him quiet and we can progress .
A bit quiet about Southgate now Tyke. From 1968 to 2016 England have won six knock out games in major tournaments, Southgate has won six from 2018 to 2022.

We've won nowt yet , nowt in this game for hard lines and cudda's and shudda's .

The minimum requirement was the quarter finals which he's achieved .

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on December 05, 2022, 07:08:33 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Southgate will select the right starting line up. I don't have faith in him changing it if France get in top of us. Hopefully learnt from the Croatia and Italy games.

Apart from Mbappe and Varane. None of the rest of their team gets in ours.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on December 05, 2022, 07:38:59 pm by NickDRFC »
Southgate will select the right starting line up. I don't have faith in him changing it if France get in top of us. Hopefully learnt from the Croatia and Italy games.

Apart from Mbappe and Varane. None of the rest of their team gets in ours.

I see Saliba as France’s best centre back, not sure how he’s not getting a game but he’d be in my team ahead of Varane, don’t think he’s looked as good since moving to Utd. Theo Hernandez is class, he’d play ahead of Luke Shaw. I think you’d also find a place for Griezemann; I’ve never really seen what the fuss is about but think he looks really good in a deeper role in this tournament.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on December 06, 2022, 05:27:13 am by dickos1 »
Griezmann has looked alright but he’s not getting in the side ahead of Bellingham, foden, Kane, saka

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #229 on December 06, 2022, 05:48:04 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Them Spanish penalties were so awful it made me wonder if they were trying to throw the match!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on December 06, 2022, 06:26:51 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
No way that Hakimi can sit down comfortably with b*llocks that big.

Outstanding.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on December 06, 2022, 06:34:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The new camera angle from that suspended camera behind the pen taker don't half make the goals look small.

Morocco play such a frantic style of game, they will more than match anyone. If they can just get a bit more composure in front of goal, I see them waiting for the winners of us v France.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on December 06, 2022, 06:42:57 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Spain can only blame themselves, lots of pretty passing but zero end product

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on December 06, 2022, 07:20:13 pm by drfchound »

Where have I seen that before?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #234 on December 06, 2022, 07:27:17 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Where have I seen that before?

Yeah, I know

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on December 09, 2022, 12:20:48 pm by ncRover »
Be funny if France just stick Mbappe on Luke Shaw and Maguire’s side

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on December 10, 2022, 07:01:39 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
i remember when MBE   thats a good name for im came to my attention - seems like years ago when Monaco slaughteres Man City in the 2nd leg of the European Cup (as i call it) i think City were 2 goals ahead from the first leg they had a couple of ringers

i just looked at that team and amazed what future Man city players were in the Monaco team

a certain MR Aguero for one

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=monco++v+man+city#sie=m;/g/11ggrkvwtk;2;/m/0c1q0;ln;fp;1;;;

i dont (famous last words )see him as a threat

but i see their Tottenham goalie as a total liability 3-0 england please

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on December 10, 2022, 08:58:45 pm by redwine »
Has Martin Woods been coaching Harry Kane?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on December 10, 2022, 09:04:52 pm by tommy toes »
Has Martin Woods been coaching Harry Kane?
That was my first thought as it sailed over ths bar.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on December 10, 2022, 09:07:09 pm by River Don »
No complaints. France had a bit more quality up front and I think their experience showed ultimately.

Very close.

I fancy France to win it, though I hope Morocco pull off the upset of alltime

TinyPortal © 2005-2012