Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 06:59:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/World Cup  (Read 21335 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: England/World Cup
« Reply #240 on December 10, 2022, 09:07:44 pm by drfchound »
We were the better side second half.  Deserved to get to extra time.   Anyone can miss a pen,  it’s the first one I have seen Kane not score from.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on December 10, 2022, 09:10:14 pm by Filo »
When players are being paid thousands and thousands a week, the minimum you could expect when they take a penalty is to work the goalkeeper and get it inside the posts and under the crossbar

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on December 10, 2022, 09:10:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
Kyle Walker made Mbappe look extremely ordinary. Walker should come away from that game with huge satisfaction. Allegedly best player on planet was a virtual passenger.

How did we manage to go out of the World Cup to a headed goal from a cross?

The pressure on Kane with his second penalty. Should have been someone else as the choice was too much given he’d scored already and it was his club mate.

Most of those lot will be still there in four years. Maybe not Kane though and there isn’t an obvious replacement emerging yet. That’s an issue.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on December 10, 2022, 09:12:38 pm by scawsby steve »
No complaints from me. They were better than us over the 90 minutes. They moved the ball forward quicker, and their passing was more precise.

Also, they scored 2 very good goals, to our penalty kick. No way we deserved to win that game.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on December 10, 2022, 09:13:47 pm by River Don »
I felt it was a mistake to replace Saka. They were really struggling with him

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on December 10, 2022, 09:14:01 pm by drfchound »
Some of the worlds best have missed pens, the pressure in those situations is something that the average bloke can’t imagine.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #246 on December 10, 2022, 09:14:46 pm by PDX_Rover »
The less said about the ref the better.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on December 10, 2022, 09:14:53 pm by NickDRFC »
When players are being paid thousands and thousands a week, the minimum you could expect when they take a penalty is to work the goalkeeper and get it inside the posts and under the crossbar

Good grief. Have you seen the state of some of the penalties this World Cup? Players miss them. Pressure does things. 1 in 4 penalties are missed, however much you pay players that’s not going to increase the likelihood of scoring.

We played well. We lost to the champions. Hurts as this team could so easily have gone on to win it but going out like this is so much better than the whimpers of 2002, 2006, 2010, 2016 etc etc.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #248 on December 10, 2022, 09:15:34 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Sakka was injured, that’s why he went off.
No fault aimed at Kane at all.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #249 on December 10, 2022, 09:17:26 pm by LincsRover »
Same old, same old, if you can’t even hit the target from a penalty you don’t deserve to win, simple as! It’s the hope that kills you every time! F*ck England, come on rovers
:suicide:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on December 10, 2022, 09:17:59 pm by drfchound »

Good grief. Have you seen the state of some of the penalties this World Cup? Players miss them. Pressure does things. 1 in 4 penalties are missed, however much you pay players that’s not going to increase the likelihood of scoring.

We played well. We lost to the champions. Hurts as this team could so easily have gone on to win it but going out like this is so much better than the whimpers of 2002, 2006, 2010, 2016 etc etc.

100% this.  No way players wages come into it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on December 10, 2022, 09:18:59 pm by scawsby steve »
Some of the worlds best have missed pens, the pressure in those situations is something that the average bloke can’t imagine.

Totally agree, mate. The defeat wasn't down to him. They were better than us, that's all.

Anyway, the Rovers won, so it's been a good day as far as I'm concerned.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #252 on December 10, 2022, 09:19:57 pm by Filo »

I stand by what I said, I don’t buy the pressure theory, i’d back myself everytime to get a shot on target from 12 yards

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on December 10, 2022, 09:24:50 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We need a winner in charge that's the difference between us and the top teams.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #254 on December 10, 2022, 09:39:02 pm by IDM »
We need a winner in charge that's the difference between us and the top teams.

WTF?

Remind me which manager got England to the last World Cup semi final and to the euros final.?

There’s no disgrace in getting beat by the world champions, especially having competed equally and created enough to have drawn or won.

We did a damned sight better than Spain, Germany, and Belgium who were ranked 2nd in the world.  Not to mention European champions Italy..

Of course it is tremendously disappointing to go out, but like someone else said, we didn’t go out with a whimper this time.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on December 10, 2022, 09:45:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
I share this view that we matched France all the way, and only went out by smallest margin. We’ve also done very well in three tournaments now. My only fear is that like Dutch or Belgians is this a generation that needs to win something because we might not have same again for some time. Perhaps not, maybe FA and clubs have their act together permanently.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on December 10, 2022, 09:48:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Best knockout stage performance I've ever seen from England. That was massively unlucky. Two shockingly bad VAR decisions in the first half set the scene but England did superbly to come back against the best side of this generation.

Anyone saying they'd hit the target from a penalty is missing the point. It's not about hitting the target. It's about hitting the target with a shot struck at 70mph. Do it slower and a world class keeper will be able to stand still till he sees where the ball is going, and then save it. The pressure on Kane would have been ferocious. Mistakes like that happen.

As for people blaming Southgate...give me f**king strength.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on December 10, 2022, 09:50:09 pm by drfchound »

I stand by what I said, I don’t buy the pressure theory, i’d back myself everytime to get a shot on target from 12 yards

LoL.
You might have forgotten that you have also got to get the ball past the keeper who is trying to stop you scoring.
I would imagine that a man on one leg and crutches could roll the ball on target but he might not score.
You might not buy the pressure thing because you have never taken one in a pressure situation.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #258 on December 10, 2022, 09:50:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Tend to agree it's another sad missed opportunity.

We had them on the rack but then you see us starting to drop off again. Gareth was discussing subs at about 64 mins but dithered and they gather their composure again and score on 78 mins before we then make the sub!

The last thing France wanted to see was Rashford running at them. He should have been on to maintain our momentum.

Yes  we had the chance to get back in it again and you ain't giving that ball to anyone else but Kane. 

Extremely fine lines in football but yet again we've fallen the wrong side of that line with a bit of bad luck and a lack of killer instinct.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on December 10, 2022, 09:52:07 pm by scawsby steve »
I share this view that we matched France all the way, and only went out by smallest margin. We’ve also done very well in three tournaments now. My only fear is that like Dutch or Belgians is this a generation that needs to win something because we might not have same again for some time. Perhaps not, maybe FA and clubs have their act together permanently.

The next Euros are only just over 18 months away, CBCB. I think most of our young players will still be together for that; and should do well again.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on December 10, 2022, 09:54:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »
No blame can be aimed at Southgate. We had the chances to win the game and didn’t take them, we made France look ordinary, Mbappe best player in the world, don’t make me laugh, the players on the pitch underperformed in the first half and didn’t have the belief in the second. The ref and other officials were beyond poor but not the reason we lost.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #261 on December 10, 2022, 10:10:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Blame is too harsh a word. Southgate got 99% right most of the ingredients to get us to this stage and a chance to win the game.

We allow teams off the hook at crucial times and the players, manager and coaches need to look into that collectively.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #262 on December 10, 2022, 10:20:39 pm by NickDRFC »

And I imagine that Kane would back himself to taxi punters from A to B on a Saturday night but it’s unlikely either one of you will ever get the chance to test the theory.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on December 10, 2022, 10:25:48 pm by Branton Red »
Second half excellent and England were the better team

If only they'd played with the same intent in the first half.

Over 90 minutes the bravest and best performing team deservedly won.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:35:48 pm by Branton Red »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on December 10, 2022, 10:28:44 pm by Filo »

And I imagine that Kane would back himself to taxi punters from A to B on a Saturday night but it’s unlikely either one of you will ever get the chance to test the theory.

Very true, I don’t work Saturday nights

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on December 10, 2022, 10:30:02 pm by Campsall rover »
Wow that is very harsh. The amount they get paid is irrelevant.
Pressure situation against his club keeper.
Mind games with this one especially as he had already scored from a pen.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on December 10, 2022, 10:33:13 pm by Campsall rover »
No complaints from me. They were better than us over the 90 minutes. They moved the ball forward quicker, and their passing was more precise.

Also, they scored 2 very good goals, to our penalty kick. No way we deserved to win that game.
Disagree SS
We created more chances than they did. Overall we edged it imo. Just wasn’t to be. AGAIN.
As for the ref well. Don’t know what to say. As for VAR, waste of time isn’t it. Complete joke.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on December 10, 2022, 10:35:03 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We'll never win anything with Southgate in charge. France have won with half their side injured. Never a better chance of beating them.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #268 on December 10, 2022, 10:43:49 pm by DearneValleyRover »
We didn’t have the killer instinct but then you can level that at the United Kingdom in general other than Ben Stokes who is doing it in Cricket. We have the talent but play meekly because we feel like we have to apologise for every past transgressions. It’s about time we started to say it wasn’t me and use the gifts they’ve been given

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on December 10, 2022, 10:46:48 pm by Goole Rover »
We'll never win anything with Southgate in charge. France have won with half their side injured. Never a better chance of beating them.
Here we go again your football knowledge is questionable I bet you were one of those who said Marquis was a championship player worth 2 million.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012