Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:53:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/World Cup  (Read 21295 times)

Branton Red

• Forum Member
Re: England/World Cup
« Reply #300 on December 11, 2022, 11:23:06 am by Branton Red »
2nd half England were excellent.

England's 1st half approach corresponds exactly from 1m30sec of this www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHoMQFtEVc - My views on England's first half agree with both comments from the crowd on 1m53 and 1m55.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:29:58 am by Branton Red »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on December 11, 2022, 11:53:59 am by tyke1962 »
I thought we was the better team over 90 mins on the whole,kept their front 3 quiet most of the night and unlucky to lose,anyone can miss a penalty especially when under pressure just think he tried going with more power than placement,if gone with p  lol ace ment and not in quiete in corner and loris saved it then fans no doubt would say he should of blasted it

Yeh we tend to miss an awful lot of penalties under pressure .

No more than Anyone else

The Croatians have won as many penalty shootouts at this world cup as we have in our entire history .

How many have we been in, in comparison to them

Croatia have been involved in five penalty shootouts at major tournaments and won four of them , they lost their very first one at Euro 2008 .

They've actually won their last four all at world cups , a record only equalled by the Germans .

Percentage wise they have an 80% success rate .

Our record is two wins from nine giving us a 22% success rate .

You can play around with percentages I guess given we've been involved in more shootouts than Croatia but it's only four more and I think it's worth factoring in to this and acknowledging that Croatia didn't compete in their first tournament until 1996 to balance that out .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on December 11, 2022, 11:54:40 am by dickos1 »
That’s how England play, that’s how the best club sides in the world play.
France were the better side until they scored, from that minute on we were comfortably the better side

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on December 11, 2022, 11:56:47 am by Chris Black come back »
We've got a hell of a lot better these last few years. England has though significantly underperformed the other major European nations of Germany, France, Spain and Italy when it comes to the two major tournaments. All of them have won the World Cup and Euro double, and all of them have won the World Cup away from home.

We lag these four historically and we have only won the World Cup at home (and a shorter tournament as following the groups then it was straight to the QF, and every one of our games in 1966 was at Wembley) and our best Euro performances in 1996 and 2021 we played all of our games as host (aside from a single game in Rome v Ukraine in 2021).

Arguably our best ever tournament performances were Italy 1990 and Russia 2018 when we got to the World Cup semi finals away from home, going out on penalties in the former and in extra time in the latter. These are both very strong tournament performances historically.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 12:01:34 pm by Chris Black come back »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #304 on December 11, 2022, 11:57:28 am by dickos1 »
I thought we was the better team over 90 mins on the whole,kept their front 3 quiet most of the night and unlucky to lose,anyone can miss a penalty especially when under pressure just think he tried going with more power than placement,if gone with p  lol ace ment and not in quiete in corner and loris saved it then fans no doubt would say he should of blasted it

No more than Anyone else

The Croatians have won as many penalty shootouts at this world cup as we have in our entire history .

Croatia have been involved in five penalty shootouts at major tournaments and won four of them , they lost their very first one at Euro 2008 .

They've actually won their last four all at world cups , a record only equalled by the Germans .

You can play around with percentages I guess given we've been involved in more shootouts than Croatia but it's only four more and I think it's worth factoring in to this and acknowledging that Croatia didn't compete in their first tournament until 1996 to balance that out .

So Croatia are the best in the world, and because our record isn’t as good then we’re rubbish at them.
I don’t think anyone will have scored more penalties than Kane in a major tournament

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on December 11, 2022, 12:03:17 pm by tyke1962 »

No more than Anyone else

So drawing against Japan and beating them on pens is better than beating Senegal 3-0 is it?

We were talking about high pressure penalty kicks I believe .

You said we miss just as many as anybody else , which is just plain wrong because everyone knows it's our nemesis , the facts are the facts .

In tournament football it really doesn't matter how you progress to the next stage just as long as you do and Croatia are in there second consecutive semi final because they were also more mentally stronger than the pre tournament favourites when it mattered the most .

This is something that consistently let's us down at tournaments and shows no sign of going away .

Kane's penalty was high pressure last night , the same conditions were in play as a penalty shoot out and his head was so scrambled he put it  3 foot over the bar , the brutal truth is he bottled it .

I'm not so critical as to expect the England team to win every penalty shoot out they are involved in , the Brazilians , French , Argentinean's and the Italians have all lost them but they've won plenty of them too , the Brazilians and Italians have won a World Cup and a Euros from the penalty spot .

It's an unfortunate truth that in high pressure situations we crumble , mentally weak .

The facts are the facts given our appalling record , if it was just down to luck we'd win 50% of them because that's the laws of probability .

In one breath you’re saying it means nothing that England got to a World Cup semi and a euro final and then in the next your slinging praise at Croatia for reaching two World Cup semi’s
That just sums up your mentality whatever England do isn’t good enough but when others do the same then they’ve done better than England

It wasn't so much as admiration but more of acknowledgment .

For a relatively new country and small population three world cup semi finals and a final and whose to say they won't make this one either it's pretty impressive in my opinion when you factor everything in .

Defiantly more bang for the buck than we are achieving that's for sure .

For the record I'll dance in the streets when we actually win something again .

Glorious failure isn't for me as far as England is concerned .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on December 11, 2022, 12:13:43 pm by tyke1962 »

No more than Anyone else

So Croatia are the best in the world, and because our record isn’t as good then we’re rubbish at them.
I don’t think anyone will have scored more penalties than Kane in a major tournament

No we are rubbish at them against almost everybody .

In my opinion Croatia are mentally stronger than we are and the facts back that up .

Your not willing to acknowledge the brutal truth that as a nation our players are weak in the head which is a significant flaw in top level football .

I'm somebody who admires mental strength , guts and balls if you want .

It's not asking too much of our players to win 50% of our penalty shootouts or step up and deliver as Kane failed to do last night every now and again .

Far from unreasonable .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #307 on December 11, 2022, 12:36:05 pm by dickos1 »

No more than Anyone else

In my opinion Croatia are mentally stronger than we are and the facts back that up .

Your not willing to acknowledge the brutal truth that as a nation our players are weak in the head which is a significant flaw in top level football .

It's not asking too much of our players to win 50% of our penalty shootouts or step up and deliver as Kane failed to do last night every now and again .

Far from unreasonable .

But you’re using history to have a bash at this group of players.
Under southgate we’ve had two penalty shootouts in major tournaments won one and lost one.
Under this group of players we’ve had 6 penalties in major tournaments and scored 4 of them, if you include the denmark rebound.

In the past I agree we’ve struggled in the big moments but under southgate that hasn’t been the case

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #308 on December 11, 2022, 12:48:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
5 matches. Only 1 of them we played a team on par.
Only at the Euros did we beat someone on par with us. The worst Germany side for decades. Belgium twice, Croatia, Italy, now France.
Wouldn't call him a failure, he's not done have us lose to someone rubbish. He's not got us beat anyone decent though.

Neither has any other manager for 56 years.

Why do you think the problem is the manager?

You said categorically that we had the best front line in the tournament. But the difference between the teams last night was a superb performance by Griezmann.

That wasn't due to managerial decisions. It's because Griezmann is a better player than any we currently have. Put him in that England side last night and we win comfortably.

The challenge for Foden, Grealish, Bellingham and Sako is to sit down and watch Griezmann's performance last night and have that as the standard for them to expect of themselves when they are at the very height of their ability.

Or we could just blame the manager, like we have done since before my balls dropped.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #309 on December 11, 2022, 01:21:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Reflecting the day after, I've not really changed my mind on what I saw last night.

Once back in the game at 1-1, we were in the ascendancy, and as said at that point on 64 mins ish, you could see Southgate discussing subs.

Henderson on a couple of occasions ran out to close them down, and on second occasion  he turned round and rollocked his teammates for not backing him up....I shouted at the TV "Go and win it Gareth".

Given a few more minutes, we allowed to French to settle again, yet no sub appeared and within a couple of minutes of me saying to my mates, he's leaving it too late, they scored on 78 mins. Cue subs. Yes of course we had a golden chance to get back into the game, but at this top level, you can’t take your foot off the gas until you get in front.

We let them off the hook and to leave Rashford & Co too little time is not using the strength of the squad we believe we have.

It's the third time now Gareth has been reactive rather than pro active with his subs. Those 14 mins were crucial.

I don't want to crucify the guy but when will the penny drop? That said, a bit more collective bravery is the icing on the top that makes us into winners and is the holy grail that  most international managers seek. Spain struggled for so long by not being able to convert their ability into a winning mentality, which they seem to have resorted to again.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on December 11, 2022, 01:25:01 pm by mushRTID »
5 matches. Only 1 of them we played a team on par.
Only at the Euros did we beat someone on par with us. The worst Germany side for decades. Belgium twice, Croatia, Italy, now France.
Wouldn't call him a failure, he's not done have us lose to someone rubbish. He's not got us beat anyone decent though.

Neither has any other manager for 56 years.

Why do you think the problem is the manager?

You said categorically that we had the best front line in the tournament. But the difference between the teams last night was a superb performance by Griezmann.

That wasn't due to managerial decisions. It's because Griezmann is a better player than any we currently have. Put him in that England side last night and we win comfortably.

The challenge for Foden, Grealish, Bellingham and Sako is to sit down and watch Griezmann's performance last night and have that as the standard for them to expect of themselves when they are at the very height of their ability.

Or we could just blame the manager, like we have done since before my balls dropped.

As good as he was, another day he would have been sent off. I would be interested in seeing how many fouls he gave away. Watching in the pub nearly every foul seemed to be him. How he didn’t get booked earlier for accumulation of fouls is beyond me.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on December 11, 2022, 01:43:19 pm by tyke1962 »

No more than Anyone else

Far from unreasonable .

Under southgate we’ve had two penalty shootouts in major tournaments won one and lost one.
Under this group of players we’ve had 6 penalties in major tournaments and scored 4 of them, if you include the denmark rebound.

In the past I agree we’ve struggled in the big moments but under southgate that hasn’t been the case

The players capitulated under Southgate at last year's Euro Final penalty shootout just as they have done previously .

We missed three in that shoot out .

Kane missed last night to level the game up under massive pressure .

Nowts changed so history is defiantly in play and to ignore our mental weakness is to not want to acknowledge the obvious fault in our makeup .

History wouldn't be in play if we had a 50% success rate and every now and again someone steps up in the big moments instead of blazing the ball three foot over the cross bar .

Chris Waddle esque .

I wish I knew why we are so weak in the head I really do .

More importantly I wish we could solve it .

If I've an opinion on it at all is that it's down to the players themselves to think clearly under pressure , I'm not convinced by practising penalties or even a sports psychologist to be honest .

What I do know is that normally you have to get through at least one maybe two penalty shootouts to win a major tournament these days .

The next world cup will have an extra knock out round so the odds are going to be even more stacked against us .

What's amazing is that both the Rugby Union team and cricket team delivered in high pressure moments to win respective world cups .

Why can't our footballers ?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on December 11, 2022, 01:49:47 pm by tyke1962 »
There was defiantly something iffy going on with that referee .

I'm not one for sour grapes by any means but he was defiantly against us that's for sure .

You wouldn't put anything past FIFA would you given what we know about them today .

Very suspicious to say the least .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on December 11, 2022, 02:08:16 pm by selby »
tyke1962, that is more like the truth, a referee who misses three big calls all game changing, the foul on Saka, the first call for a penalty on Kane, and he didn't give the one on Mount, causing an unnecessary delay and French antics tells me.
   1) he is totally inept, or,
   2) he is cheating.
  I can't believe we get the hand of god, the disallowed goal v Germany and yesterdays performance by being inept when they get to that level, and so regular in competitions run by FIFA, who have history with the FA. so think they are a big part in collusion,
 I think they cheat and are told to favour certain teams,
 One big question, who thinks Messi and Neymar would have been awarded a penalty for the Kane and Bellingham fouls in the box? nobody even looking at the second one and the first a nailed on one.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #314 on December 11, 2022, 02:20:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ are we REALLY still having that England against The Rest of the World mentality?

What about the greatest ever error by officials in a World Cup final?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on December 11, 2022, 02:24:22 pm by tyke1962 »
tyke1962, that is more like the truth, a referee who misses three big calls all game changing, the foul on Saka, the first call for a penalty on Kane, and he didn't give the one on Mount, causing an unnecessary delay and French antics tells me.
   2) he is cheating.
  I can't believe we get the hand of god, the disallowed goal v Germany and yesterdays performance by being inept when they get to that level, and so regular in competitions run by FIFA, who have history with the FA. so think they are a big part in collusion,
 One big question, who thinks Messi and Neymar would have been awarded a penalty for the Kane and Bellingham fouls in the box? nobody even looking at the second one and the first a nailed on one.

You could also add the two Sol Campbell disallowed goals in extra time against Argentina in 98 and Portugal in 2004 for good measure .

We all know the shenanigans regarding hosting a World Cup but none the less the fact that this country has only ever had it awarded once is more than suspicious .

Taking it around the world argument doesn't wash either , this will be the second time the US have had it , the last in only 1994 , Mexico have had it three times since 1970 .

Brazil twice , Germany twice , Italy and France twice .

More than suspicious .

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on December 11, 2022, 02:27:58 pm by danumdon »
Christ are we REALLY still having that England against The Rest of the World mentality?

Most of us were not even born when that incident occurred against the Germans at Wembley. but your sentiment is right, we got the hometown decision there.

Yesterday we had it in our hands to progress but blew it, we can't blame anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 02:41:45 pm by danumdon »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on December 11, 2022, 02:29:32 pm by tyke1962 »

It may well have been an error Billy I guess we will never know .

Hardly comparable to the Hand Of God and Lampards goal two foot over the line now is it .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #318 on December 11, 2022, 02:51:17 pm by IDM »
Let’s not forget that had Kane scored the second penalty, the score would have just been 2-2 - it wasn’t for a winner.  Yes of course we would have still been in the game with a chance of winning, but by no means guaranteed.

A bit like all the fuss when Thierry Henry hand balled before France scored vs Ireland - that wasn’t a winning goal either but for all the fuss made afterwards you could have sworn it was.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on December 11, 2022, 03:16:06 pm by wilts rover »
Harry Kane has never won anything of significance with either Spurs or England.

Olivier Giroud has won a World Cup, the Champions League, Europa League, Serie A and 4 FA Cups.

It's experience of winning things at club level that tells in the big moments of international games. And that showed yesterday.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #320 on December 11, 2022, 04:03:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It may well have been an error Billy I guess we will never know .

Hardly comparable to the Hand Of God and Lampards goal two foot over the line now is it .

We do know without question that England's 3rd goal in the 66 final should not have stood. Not even remotely up for discussion.

And of course it's comparable. They are all basic mistakes by officials.

As was the awarding of a penalty when Owen dived against Argentina in 2002.

As was the officials missing Crouch pulling the hair of a Trinidadian centre half before scoring in 2006.

Claiming there's some sort of bias of the entire system against England is beyond farcical.

Yes the ref was absolutely dreadful last night. But to extrapolate from that to a systemic bias against England is embarrassing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 04:09:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on December 11, 2022, 04:11:46 pm by VivaRovers »
We all know the shenanigans regarding hosting a World Cup but none the less the fact that this country has only ever had it awarded once is more than suspicious .

Taking it around the world argument doesn't wash either , this will be the second time the US have had it , the last in only 1994 , Mexico have had it three times since 1970 .

More than suspicious .

You're doing a bit, right? A parody.

Aside from Mexico, who only hosted the 1986 World Cup as a late replacement because Colombia (the planned hosts) were unable to, the other countries you pick out for hosting it twice did so at intervals of roughly 60 years. That would mean England would be in with a great shout of hosting the next finals that take place in Europe, which would be in 2030. They haven't (as yet) put a bid in. Hardly an incredible global conspiracy is it?

Besides, given the absolute organisational car crash England made of the 2020(1) Euros Final, we should probably be thankful they haven't had a second World Cup.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on December 11, 2022, 04:18:18 pm by VivaRovers »
It pains me to say it, but England are a really good football team with really good football players. They also have the ideal manager for where they are and who they are right now.

Thing is though, in a World Cup, especially once you get to the knockout rounds, really good football teams can still lose football matches. Because the standard of opposition is so high.

I just don't get why so many England fans see defeat for the national team in the last eight, last four, or last two of a competition as some sort of great travesty or failure. You have never had such a sustained period of success, you should be revelling in it, and yet there's still this inherent belief that a different manager could take them further, or a different formation could change everything, and so something has to change. From the outside it's really weird.

I'd say take this exit on the chin and, given the quality crop of young players you have, look forward with great excitement to the next tournament.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #323 on December 11, 2022, 04:28:03 pm by dickos1 »

No more than Anyone else

Far from unreasonable .

The players capitulated under Southgate at last year's Euro Final penalty shootout just as they have done previously .

Nowts changed so history is defiantly in play and to ignore our mental weakness is to not want to acknowledge the obvious fault in our makeup .

History wouldn't be in play if we had a 50% success rate and every now and again someone steps up in the big moments instead of blazing the ball three foot over the cross bar .

Chris Waddle esque .

If I've an opinion on it at all is that it's down to the players themselves to think clearly under pressure , I'm not convinced by practising penalties or even a sports psychologist to be honest .

What I do know is that normally you have to get through at least one maybe two penalty shootouts to win a major tournament these days .

The next world cup will have an extra knock out round so the odds are going to be even more stacked against us .

What's amazing is that both the Rugby Union team and cricket team delivered in high pressure moments to win respective world cups .

They lost a penalty shootout in the final of a major competition, only the second one we’ve ever reached in our history.
And your only conclusion of that scenario is that the team capitulated, the manager failed.
It really is a very strange take on what happened.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on December 11, 2022, 04:47:36 pm by tyke1962 »

No more than Anyone else

Far from unreasonable .

Chris Waddle esque .

They lost a penalty shootout in the final of a major competition, only the second one we’ve ever reached in our history.
And your only conclusion of that scenario is that the team capitulated, the manager failed.
It really is a very strange take on what happened.

Perennial losers in crunch games against quality opposition .

Play it down all you want with this , that and the other but facts are the facts .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on December 11, 2022, 05:51:57 pm by scawsby steve »
Some of the worlds best have missed pens, the pressure in those situations is something that the average bloke can’t imagine.

Totally agree, mate. The defeat wasn't down to him. They were better than us, that's all.

Anyway, the Rovers won, so it's been a good day as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone watching that game, and coming out of it thinking France  were the better side need help.
England were by far the better side and got robbed by a few terrible decisions and a terrible missed pen.

Need help? F*ck me, talk about an hysterical overreaction to someone's post. I didn't use the same OTT semantics as you, by suggesting that France were BY FAR the better side, I simply said they were IMO the better team on the day.

In any case, you need to rethink your words if you're really saying that a team is "by far" the better team, despite not scoring a single goal in open play, against a team that scores two.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on December 11, 2022, 06:08:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
   2) he is cheating.

You could also add the two Sol Campbell disallowed goals in extra time against Argentina in 98 and Portugal in 2004 for good measure .

More than suspicious .

What years has Mexico hosted it? I know my memory might be going but I can only remember them hosting it twice. I seem to have lost one.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on December 11, 2022, 06:21:10 pm by scawsby steve »
   2) he is cheating.

More than suspicious .

What years has Mexico hosted it? I know my memory might be going but I can only remember them hosting it twice. I seem to have lost one.

I think I can answer that, Glyn. I might be wrong, but I think Tyke might be including the next one, which is being shared between the USA, Canada, and Mexico.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on December 11, 2022, 06:23:18 pm by NickDRFC »
   2) he is cheating.

More than suspicious .

70 & 86, and they’re joint hosts in 2026. If you’re going to be pedantic you could say he should have said “by 2026 they will have had it 3 times since 1970”.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #329 on December 11, 2022, 06:32:50 pm by Red wizard »
End of the day we have a good young side that will get better. Stick with GS imo he done the best in tournaments than any other manager since Sir BR.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012