Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 12:01:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: one for the old gits...  (Read 2446 times)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
one for the old gits...
« on January 06, 2023, 05:36:12 pm by Herman Hessian »
...bit of nostalgia - the old Pop Side at Belle Vue in all it's glory - I've never seen this pic, but apologies if it's 'old news'

bit low-res too - can't see the owl !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: one for the old gits...
« Reply #1 on January 06, 2023, 05:39:54 pm by Filo »
That pop side was massive, the bar at the back as well where you could only buy bottled beer

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 06, 2023, 05:46:43 pm by ravenrover »
There was never a wall or fence the last time I attended a game at BV, but Rovers were still my team

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 06, 2023, 05:58:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
One of my favourite photos just as how I remember it. Meet the lads just under the commentary box then move back as far as we could .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 06, 2023, 06:05:37 pm by Donnywolf »
Brilliant ....owl only came out I believe in night games .... to a cheer all of its own.

Seemed to come from under TV box and always go in direction of Town End (but I've had a few lately)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 06, 2023, 06:14:56 pm by scawsby steve »
When that pop side was full to capacity, you realised just how massive it was.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 06, 2023, 06:20:07 pm by Donnywolf »
The night of the Darlo 0 1 game was a case in point SS

Was it 22k plus attendance .

Was it Harry Kirk Darlos left winger ?

What a night apart from the 0 1 result with what some say was a cross but I still say brill shot into Town End net ... Guttted
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:29:39 pm by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 06, 2023, 06:27:38 pm by Donnywolf »
Loved the Tea Bar at the back . Being 16 and younger I would never have got served, but it was good to look at the blokes buying beer and wonder how long till I can get one ?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 06, 2023, 06:29:10 pm by bedale rover »
Drinking Forest Brown Ale at half time

When I was 14!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 06, 2023, 06:30:59 pm by Donnywolf »
Damn ... You could have got me one . I would have paid lol

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 06, 2023, 06:34:11 pm by VivaRovers »
That picture has been on the inside cover of popular STAND fanzine since for the last few seasons, so this thread is a handy way of me determining who doesn't read the zine any more.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 06, 2023, 06:35:29 pm by scawsby steve »
The night of the Darlo 0 1 game was a case in point SS

Was it 22k plus attendance .

Was it Harry Kirk Darlos left winger ?

What a night apart from the 0 1 result with what some say was a cross but I still say brill shot into Town End net ... Guttted

Perfect details, Wolfie. I'll just add that it was 1968.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 06, 2023, 06:36:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I was at the Darlo game. Their Left Winger Harry Kirk scored a fluke goal at the Town End when a cross from the Pop Side sailed into the net.

It just shows how much the capacity was reduced when the new Pop Side replaced the old one in the picture, the new stand was built in front of where the old Pop Stand was!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 08:50:29 am by Bentley Bullet »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 06, 2023, 06:53:04 pm by Filo »
I think the old pop stand had a 10k capacity

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 06, 2023, 06:56:34 pm by Donnywolf »
Me and BB have had this discussion a few times lol

I give the bloke credit as he cut in from under that Telly box and loosed a cannon of a shot into one of top corners at Town End.

I'm sure as well that Dutch Uncle remembered the goal being scored at Rosso end so it was good to out remember that excellent historian

Maybe we need a Poll

Shot Me
Cross BB

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 06, 2023, 06:58:20 pm by Donnywolf »
Was BB last man to score at BV ? Was it a cross or did he mean it ?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 06, 2023, 07:16:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Was BB last man to score at BV ? Was it a cross or did he mean it ?
Yes, I'm staking a claim to be the last person to score at Belle Vue. My 5-year-old Grandson and I went into the ground when it was derelict and found an old toilet ballcock on the pitch. I proceeded to nutmeg him and slid the ball(cock) into the goal. Mind you, he still claims to this day it was him that scored the last goal.

He's so bloody childish about it. I just don't know where he gets it from.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 06, 2023, 07:31:33 pm by scawsby steve »

That sounds about right; and the old Rosso end was said to hold about 15000, which included the corner that stretched right round to the end of the pop stand.

When you consider that the ground capacity was reputed to be around the 40000 mark, all of the above sounds feasible.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 06, 2023, 07:34:05 pm by Filo »

That sounds about right; and the old Rosso end was said to hold about 15000, which included the corner that stretched right round to the end of the pop stand.

When you consider that the ground capacity was reputed to be around the 40000 mark, all of the above sounds feasible.

Yes the Rosso end was much higher than it was in the end

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 06, 2023, 07:35:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
The 80s were not kind to Belle Vue. Pop Side, cow shed and I think also Rosso End (or was that earlier) got taken apart. What was left after that was a bit sorry.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 06, 2023, 07:42:02 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Very many thanks Herman, even though it is a recent picture by my standards  :blush:

At the extreme left i see the famous wall that I ran up on 25 January 1964 in approximately the 89th minute. Rovers were a mere 9-0 up against Darlington. In a bid to make an early exit towards the Rossington end I judged that Albert Broadbent, show-boating in front of the mainstand, posed no immediate threat and I dashed up that wall (no metal fence and barbed wire in those days) and couldn't believe it. In those 5 seconds the b*gg*r had scored. I have never forgiven him, causing me to miss the only 10th goal Rovers have scored (local County Cups aside). :headbang:

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 06, 2023, 07:44:27 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Me and BB have had this discussion a few times lol

I give the bloke credit as he cut in from under that Telly box and loosed a cannon of a shot into one of top corners at Town End.

I'm sure as well that Dutch Uncle remembered the goal being scored at Rosso end so it was good to out remember that excellent historian

Maybe we need a Poll

Shot Me
Cross BB

I was mixing up the Darlo games of 1966-67 (lost 0-4) and 1968-69 (lost 0-1 in front of 22K+)  :blush: :blush:

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 06, 2023, 09:22:24 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
A tremendous photo. Spent some fantastic and some terrible times on that terrace. I remember being squeezed on the terrace against Bournemouth in ‘81 when we were promoted and against QPR when David Harle volleyed them out of the FA Cup. I was also there in the league cup games against Hull & Derby when opposition fans tried to ‘take’ the pop side!

It was a tragedy when the majority of the stand had to be taken down in the mid 80’s.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 06, 2023, 09:35:18 pm by ScillyRover »
Stood there countless times. Firstly alongside the pitch wall where my Dad left me with my ‘WW1 Air-raid warning rattle’ before he headed to the top near the bar. A few years later, on the edge of the large cluster of Rovers fans chanting along to ‘Archie, Winston and Sarge’s choruses in the late 60’s and then following on from then, in the sparsely populated Pop side during the relegation seasons. Usually had a cup of bovril and sausage roll at HT from the bar. Great memories, apart from the bovril which I’ve disliked ever since !
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 09:44:18 pm by ScillyRover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 06, 2023, 09:48:39 pm by idler »
I was at the Darlo game. Their Left Winger Harry Kirk scored a flook goal at the Town End when a cross from the Pop Side sailed into the net.

It Just shows how much the capacity was reduced when the new Pop Side replaced the old one in the picture, the new stand was built in front of where the old Pop Stand was!
I’m not sure if that was a fluke but the ball to him was. Their guy shot and it was so badly mishit that it went straight to the winger.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 06, 2023, 09:56:45 pm by roversdude »
Started off with a space against the wall, going up to the bar at halftime to meet my dad and get a coke. Then going with mates moving ends to match which way Rovers were attacking. Turned up one day and the stand was full of Sheff United fans

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 07, 2023, 09:25:09 am by IDM »
Trying to approximately date the pic - do the adverts give any clues?

It’s definitely later than Boxing Day 1975 as I distinctly recall sitting on that side wall, halfway up ish for part of the game, my first one.

I reckon it’s early 80’s.?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 07, 2023, 10:09:51 am by Lesonthewest »
I stood up near the bar & the fullest I saw it were the Aldershot game (7-0) & Hull City league cup game (2-1). Great photo, great memories. 'You'll never take the Belle Vue'.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 07, 2023, 10:31:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Trying to approximately date the pic - do the adverts give any clues?

It’s definitely later than Boxing Day 1975 as I distinctly recall sitting on that side wall, halfway up ish for part of the game, my first one.

I reckon it’s early 80’s.?

I think you're about right there.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 07, 2023, 11:58:39 am by Colin C No.3 »
We’re we at home that day?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012