Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:13:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Just giving fundraiser  (Read 3729 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Just giving fundraiser
« on January 15, 2023, 07:32:31 am by roverstillidie91 »
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sackthedrfcboard

Just seen this, I am pretty sure this is going OTT.

Obviously fans are entitled to their feelings however....

TB has put in over 20 million pounds since he has been here, it isn't for us to tell him what to do with his money and also I wish thanks would just accept that JR is NOT coming back, he has stated this on social media. The fans also mention spending thousands upon thousands. The owners and previously JR, DW etc have spent millions of pounds on the club

And just because you make a promise to return to the Championship it doesn't mean you will be successful, there are other team vying for the same goal.

Also if the owners want to make it self-sufficient that is THEIR choice as they own the club and there is this mention of asset stripping. What is there to strip? We don't even own our own stadium or training ground.

The goal of 'some' fans is that they want the board to sell up.

But who to? Is there anyone really interested in buying us and there hasn't been that many rumours since TB took full control (was it 2014 or 2015?)

The issue is and I will say it again. We don't get enough fans through the gates and then if we did say get an extra few thousand we may be would be able to get better players in but the simple facts are we don't even fill half of the ground the majority of the time. Mainly swelled by away supporters.

And this thing about the club making a profit. I would imagine it is very marginal.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
Re: Just giving fundraiser
« Reply #1 on January 15, 2023, 08:18:56 am by Spilsby Red »
Idiots spring to mind. I doubt many if any of these fans were around in the 70s, 80s and what happened in the 97/98 season.
All the times we had to re apply to be in the league. Mainly a fourth division club. When we did get promoted it didn’t last long. But, we still turned up and supported our club.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 15, 2023, 08:20:46 am by Filo »
Interesting, not many prepared to put their names to a donation, a lot mis representing others by putting false names in, so very few are prepared to identify themselves

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 15, 2023, 08:27:31 am by roversdude »
So do they offer an alternative, are they brokering deals with potential buyers.
Absolutely absurd spoilt kids spring to mind.
They’ve set themselves up though - if we get decent signings in now will they claim credit for it.
This will lead to even more infighting amongst the fans

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 15, 2023, 09:03:42 am by Cramby10 »
That’s just f**king embarrassing.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 15, 2023, 09:10:46 am by roverstillidie91 »
Notice there is 1 if not more contributors on there as well

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 15, 2023, 10:30:54 am by Glyn_Wigley »
That’s just f**king embarrassing.

What's most embarrassing about it they don't see the deep irony that not only do they want other people to bankroll the club they claim to support, they have so little real 'passion' and 'ambition' that they want other people to pay for their pathetic protests instead of paying for it themselves.

PS Read the reply to the message at the bottom of the page. How's that for even more embarrassing? :lol:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:37:22 am by Glyn_Wigley »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 15, 2023, 10:38:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So much for the cost of living crisis...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 15, 2023, 10:45:10 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I'm sure we could all think of better ways of spending £500.

I've asked the question to a couple of them. What if you get your wish, and TB and the board pull the plug? What then? What's your objective?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 15, 2023, 10:50:26 am by Filo »
Anyone under the age of about 35, which would be probably 99% of that lot, have no idea or perception of what a club being run down really looks like

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 15, 2023, 11:04:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Anyone under the age of about 35, which would be probably 99% of that lot, have no idea or perception of what a club being run down really looks like

Sadly, there's some much older leading the charge. The pied pipers leading them over the cliff hoping for someone to catch them!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 15, 2023, 11:14:09 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Perhaps not in the context of what we've seen at the club previously, but given what they have seen from the club it's understandable to be frustrated at the retrogression we've seen.  I fundamentally agree though with others that they've zero idea of what solutions are (because it's so easy to find someone who's got and wants to spend tens of millions they won't get back).

Let's just say the owner says ok then I'm off, what happens then?  We may then see the real decline.  Many throw the accusation that this is a ridiculous notion that we wouldn't be a Scunthorpe etc, but this is exactly what happened at Scunthorpe, they got a new owner who came in spent a few quid for a year or so then it's all gone wrong.

Yes be frustrated with where we are, but there's no magic solution.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 15, 2023, 11:32:14 am by Colemans Left Hook »
what I find amazing about this thread is .....     I have just logged onto this site -- to add an update to the Gillingham thread ( the one that is making my bank manager do cartwheels)

apart from letting you know about another RAT signing for them.

(now for the funny bit)

I was going to suggest  on the Pied Piper thread we do a "just giving fundraiser" to raise £1  so Gillingham Rover could attend the  Gillingham v Crawley match on Feb 4th   now Rovers match was postponed yyesterday.

so far he has refuted my suggestion he go to the match but if its scouting (on club business) he might yet have a change of heart

Then I log on here and see this thread

i am now trying to get a double on Gillingham to stay up and the second leg of the double  is that the perpetrator of the thread passes himself as a Rovers fan using a biblical name "AA******"

remember the AA go out to people who need help ---  as you can see indeed "AA******" needs help.

What worries me is that "AA******"  might have carried out a cyber attack on my brain overnight to come up with an  "uncunning plan" similar to the one  I have for Gillingham Rover.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 15, 2023, 11:32:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Perhaps not in the context of what we've seen at the club previously, but given what they have seen from the club it's understandable to be frustrated at the retrogression we've seen.  I fundamentally agree though with others that they've zero idea of what solutions are (because it's so easy to find someone who's got and wants to spend tens of millions they won't get back).

Let's just say the owner says ok then I'm off, what happens then?  We may then see the real decline.  Many throw the accusation that this is a ridiculous notion that we wouldn't be a Scunthorpe etc, but this is exactly what happened at Scunthorpe, they got a new owner who came in spent a few quid for a year or so then it's all gone wrong.

Exactly. Has anyone caught some of the goings on at Everton with fans protests?

There was summat on Talksport where one fan said the club is dieing under the current ownership!

Just shows how detached from reality they are really doesn't it!?  Cocooned in their Premier League bubble.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 15, 2023, 11:33:51 am by ravenrover »
Wonder if Mr Ghosh is involved in the ridiculous money raising idea?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 15, 2023, 11:35:34 am by i_ateallthepies »

Completely agree with this.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 15, 2023, 12:35:23 pm by Thorney »
Jesus wept. A fundraiser to try and get £500 just for some gear for a protest.
If this does happen then it will make us look like a laughing stock.

Bet about 80% of teams that look at rovers while not understand why we have a need to protest.

You'd swear that some of our fans think we are a massive club and are playing below our level. Need to give their heads a shake. Yes we have played at much higher. But we have also played at lower. We are that type of team that will yo yo between leagues.

I'd love us to be a permanent championship club. But unless we are willing to risk bankruptcy to stay there then it aint gonna happen. Can we afford to start paying upwards of 10k a week on players. Not with the gates we get
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 01:06:29 pm by Thorney »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 15, 2023, 01:00:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
Given the realities of our financial situation, the wider economic picture and the footballing world today, the two things we could do to pretty much immediately remedy the situation are (1) supporters accept that being a top half League One club is realistically where we are aiming and not a Championship club, and (2) we have a more effective talent identification and recruitment operation to make better use of the budget we have available (which is a solid League One budget).

We are where we are because we've recruited very badly in recent years and have had a mixed bag of managers, with managerial turnover adding to recruitment being a huge shitshow. Neither of these two actions above would really cost any money and don't require a change of ownership.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 15, 2023, 01:09:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Wonder if Mr Ghosh is involved in the ridiculous money raising idea?

Whoever they are, I bet they won't say who they are or produce receipts to show where the money was actually spent. This gives the impression of being the kind of grift that Donald Trump usually pulls on his supporters.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 01:12:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 15, 2023, 02:17:03 pm by roverstillidie91 »
See they are resorting to personal insults as well against individuals who have a close association with the club...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 15, 2023, 02:23:38 pm by Filo »
See they are resorting to personal insults as well against individuals who have a close association with the club...

Thats nothing new, it’s what the previous disruptive group excelled  at, one or two ring leaders getting the younger ones to do their bidding

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 15, 2023, 02:34:11 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Maybe it might be a good idea for the club to do some form of 'marketing' event.

Like say discounted shirts and/or tickets? Just to get fans through the turnstiles and generate some funds

One that silent_majority could recommend?

It's important positivity is maintained for the players and staff. One of the contributors on MOTD last night pointed it out saying when the atmosphere is negative it does get to the players and put more pressure on them.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 15, 2023, 02:43:51 pm by since-1969 »
Interesting, not many prepared to put their names to a donation, a lot mis representing others by putting false names in, so very few are prepared to identify themselves
  It would get more support if it was a “For Sale” sign !!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 15, 2023, 03:11:01 pm by silent majority »
I've lost count of the various campaigns I've been involved in over the last 23 years or so, from single club issues like SWFC, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Leeds Utd, Bury, Wrexham, Oldham etc, to national campaigns like Safe Standing, Watching Football is not a Crime, Twenty's Plenty, Fan Led Review etc.

I've chaired more single committee's around these issues, seen success at all levels and was deputy chair for 8 years of the largest supporter organisation in the UK. We always had a listening ear to any group that approached us for help, but I don't think I've seen anything as daft as this campaign. The time to get involved is when your club has an issue that threatens its very survival, that's why Supporters Direct was founded by the then Labour Government to offer that protection and to promote supporter involvement within clubs, and to be a lifeline if the unforeseen ever did occur. Those very supporter groups have worked miracles where and when required.

But the issue we have here at DRFC is not a threat to the survival of this club which makes the so called campaign just a show of petulance. If they approach any supporter organisation for help I can guarantee the outcome of that!! No, they won't find a welcome that's for sure, because these protestors (if that's what they are) have one reason and only one, they want to see somebody else bankrolling their club.

Having a pop at me though is par for the course, I just find it laughable!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:18:19 pm by silent majority »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 15, 2023, 03:27:11 pm by bpoolrover »
in fairness some people on this thread have used insults to

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 15, 2023, 03:31:24 pm by Spilsby Red »
Well said SM.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 15, 2023, 03:32:27 pm by Filo »
I've lost count of the various campaigns I've been involved in over the last 23 years or so, from single club issues like SWFC, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Leeds Utd, Bury, Wrexham, Oldham etc, to national campaigns like Safe Standing, Watching Football is not a Crime, Twenty's Plenty, Fan Led Review etc.

I've chaired more single committee's around these issues, seen success at all levels and was deputy chair for 8 years of the largest supporter organisation in the UK. We always had a listening ear to any group that approached us for help, but I don't think I've seen anything as daft as this campaign. The time to get involved is when your club has an issue that threatens its very survival, that's why Supporters Direct was founded by the then Labour Government to offer that protection and to promote supporter involvement within clubs, and to be a lifeline if the unforeseen ever did occur. Those very supporter groups have worked miracles where and when required.

But the issue we have here at DRFC is not a threat to the survival of this club which makes the so called campaign just a show of petulance. If they approach any supporter organisation for help I can guarantee the outcome of that!! No, they won't find a welcome that's for sure, because these protestors (if that's what they are) have one reason and only one, they want to see somebody else bankrolling their club.

Having a pop at me though is par for the course, I just find it laughable!

They don’t want to bankroll their own campaign

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 15, 2023, 03:41:50 pm by bpoolrover »
While I don’t agree with protests as the club is run financially well to not make a loss, these last few seasons have been frustrating to say the least and I’m not sure there has been any improvement really, every pre season we need a full rebuild again and crowds are getting worse and worse, it’s t would be nice for there to be some positive signs to come out of the club on the pitch not just off it

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 15, 2023, 03:49:37 pm by normal rules »
I’ve heard one certain company have made their intentions clear about interest in the Club.
I also understand they don’t come anywhere near passing any sort of due diligence checks financially.
Selling to them could ultimately result in the demise of drfc as we know it.
A bit like scunny.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 15, 2023, 04:29:35 pm by Canadian Rover »
Whilst I don't agree with the "protest" or the fundraiser I do have sympathy for the group of fans who have seen a decline in quality and ambition in recent years. We've moved from a 5 year plan to being a championship club to now one that is self sufficient and is probably an average L2 budget.

The club haven't helped themselves in communication and organization in recent years; propaganda about having strong budgets.

Poor spending and poor managerial appointments to horrendous scouting and recruitment.

What doesn't help matters are the people on this forum who insult fellow Rovers fans (and often base on age) in discriminatory manners.

The transfer window (although not closed yet) had people hoping for good recruiting (especially after losing Taylor for the season and Tomlin quitting) losing Knoyle our most improved player this season and best wing back (in a system that specializes in using wing backs) to an "ambitious" club has seen a reaction (in my view an over reaction).

The truth probably lies somewhere between the 2 fractions of our fans... But it appears there is little to no respect between those groups and that includes people on here.

RTID

TinyPortal © 2005-2012