Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 09:32:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pitch inspection  (Read 10118 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Pitch inspection
« Reply #120 on January 21, 2023, 01:25:53 pm by normal rules »
Midweek games are perfect for me! I can watch at 8 a.m.(ish) as opposed to 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Plus we might get a couple more bodies in and up to speed before the next game. I think we'll know what our "ambition" is by the end of this window.
Regarding the postponement, I can't remember too many games being called off at Belle Vue. It was one of the best playing surfaces in the country. I saw many games on a snow covered pitch with the old orange ball. Aahh, memories! Health and safety was well down the list of priorities in the 60's and 70's.
RTID

The close proximity of the lake will not help temperatures rise very quick

There are geological and geographical factors that contribute to why the Eco and large parts of Donny are more susceptible to frost.

Freezing fog rolling in from the Don Valley  now.

Not only that but the design of the Keepmoat, as good as it is, allows for cold air, once it has dropped into it, to sit there, like a trap. Because it’s fully enclosed it allows little wind to cross it. So it becomes a cold air well. Add to that the west stand side never sees sun, and it’s a recipe for frozen pitch lasting much longer than an open exposed pitch.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on January 21, 2023, 01:38:53 pm by Spud »
Been to the eco power this morning, was minus 3 at half ten & still minus 1 at noon, the sun never looked like getting through the fog.
No chance this would have been on, good early decision by the clubs & officials.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on January 21, 2023, 01:41:10 pm by IDM »
9/12 league 2 fixtures now off.

I guess, according to some, that’s 9 clubs which are “total jokes” eh.?

It’s winter, we’ll postpone some games with the weather, some folks just need to get over it.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on January 21, 2023, 01:45:27 pm by glosterred »
Midweek games are perfect for me! I can watch at 8 a.m.(ish) as opposed to 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Plus we might get a couple more bodies in and up to speed before the next game. I think we'll know what our "ambition" is by the end of this window.
Regarding the postponement, I can't remember too many games being called off at Belle Vue. It was one of the best playing surfaces in the country. I saw many games on a snow covered pitch with the old orange ball. Aahh, memories! Health and safety was well down the list of priorities in the 60's and 70's.
RTID

The close proximity of the lake will not help temperatures rise very quick

There are geological and geographical factors that contribute to why the Eco and large parts of Donny are more susceptible to frost.

Freezing fog rolling in from the Don Valley  now.

Not only that but the design of the Keepmoat, as good as it is, allows for cold air, once it has dropped into it, to sit there, like a trap. Because it’s fully enclosed it allows little wind to cross it. So it becomes a cold air well. Add to that the west stand side never sees sun, and it’s a recipe for frozen pitch lasting much longer than an open exposed pitch.

Knew it, they should have designed a stadium with a roof in at the start of the planning process. Pathetic sack the board

COYR

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on January 21, 2023, 01:45:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Posh game just gone at 1-30
Charlton fans will be well impressed.  Oh it’s Charlton Athletic.  :clapping:

No just kidding really. Just ridiculous leaving it so late.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on January 21, 2023, 01:46:04 pm by belton rover »
I’ve just driven to Cleethorpes. Just after Scunny the skies cleared and there os no visible frost on the ground. I’ve just seen the Harrogate Town team bus on its way back home after a late pitch inspection. No doubt plenty of fans too.
It was a good early call from us yesterday. Most games in L1 and 2 ate now off

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on January 21, 2023, 01:52:07 pm by glosterred »
Salford fans will not be happy either today

https://salfordcityfc.co.uk/barrow-off-210123/

COYR

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on January 21, 2023, 01:57:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Quote from: glosterred link=topic= 286872.msg1210264#msg1210264 date=1674309127
Salford fans will not be happy either today

https://salfordcityfc.co.uk/barrow-off-210123/

COYR
Sounds like the same scenario as a we had at Weston Super Mare. Corner of the pitch. Well done ref.
Just cost 50 Salford fans unnecessary expense.   ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on January 21, 2023, 02:02:13 pm by Filo »

It’s winter, we’ll postpone some games with the weather, some folks just need to get over it.

Yes the idiots are looking like idiots now

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on January 21, 2023, 02:05:36 pm by Barmby Rover »
Only 3 fixtures left in Lg.2, it makes the ref at Rovers look extremely sensible doesn't it?

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on January 21, 2023, 02:12:07 pm by Chris the Rover »
Agreed Barnby. It also makes some of our so called fans on here and on Twitter look even more idiotic.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on January 21, 2023, 02:29:07 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Disappointed it’s off but if your going to call a game off we’ve done it the right way.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on January 21, 2023, 02:40:50 pm by Upton Rover »

The idiots are not talking about the frost we all know what the temperatures have been, what the idiots are saying to the yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir brown tongue brigade, IS we should prepare well for frosts, and all that means is investing in the correct covers to protect for -5 temperatures. We have had these sheets since the championship days and they keep frost off up to -2 any idiot knows that.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on January 21, 2023, 02:45:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
There are plenty of clubs as big if not bigger than us who have had to postpone today - Bradford, Peterborough, Lincoln City. This is climatic, not underinvestment or mismanagement. If you read the groundstaff report yesterday we had the covers down two days before the frost arrived. It was just too consistently cold.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on January 21, 2023, 02:46:47 pm by IDM »

The idiots are not talking about the frost we all know what the temperatures have been, what the idiots are saying to the yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir brown tongue brigade, IS we should prepare well for frosts, and all that means is investing in the correct covers to protect for -5 temperatures. We have had these sheets since the championship days and they keep frost off up to -2 any idiot knows that.

And how often do we have repeated temperatures of less than -2.?

I guess the 8 other clubs in league two with frozen pitches today should invest in better covers?

How many games have we postponed for wintry weather since moving to the KM?

As above, it’s winter, get over it.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on January 21, 2023, 02:51:49 pm by EasyforDennis »
Only 3 fixtures left in Lg.2, it makes the ref at Rovers look extremely sensible doesn't it?

It obviously wasn't the match referee who made the sensible decision. It would have been the first good decision in his life if it was.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 21, 2023, 03:22:29 pm by normal rules »
Posh game just gone at 1-30
Charlton fans will be well impressed.  Oh it’s Charlton Athletic.  :clapping:

No just kidding really. Just ridiculous leaving it so late.

That’s shocking. I bet their supporter coaches had got there.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on January 21, 2023, 03:24:08 pm by Filo »

Good of you to acknowledge they are idiots

Numerous matches called off today, it seems we are not alone, one match called of 10 mins before the team sheets were due to be submitted, that is taking the piss

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on January 21, 2023, 03:37:50 pm by donnievic »
Would you believe it. 
Hemsworth MW home game still on in the NEC Premier League.

Most of the games in the Premier league are off. All in the 1st Div off.

Now can someone tell me how can their pitch be possibly be fit to play.
It is still sub zero in Campsall and very foggy.  Frickley is off.

Are they leaving it to later for an inspection?  Seems stupid as it ain’t going to make a difference surely.
fantastic sunshine now at 6 degrees
I am moving the 3 miles to Upton then if you get heat waves in January.
6 degrees my foot.  It is is 1 degree in Campsall at 12.28 pm. and Fog.  Pull the other one Upton.  :rolleyes:
Feel free to move to sunny Upton a just dropped to 5 degrees same as Hemsworth
Check your garden lawn if you have one, mine were frozen at 8am now perfect.
Just been out on my lawn and it is rock hard in most places. Definitely dangerous to play football.
Do you have artificial turf Upton.  My lawn is real grass.  :) 
I think you are trying to reel me in on this one.  :woot:
No way is your climate substantially better in Upton, South Elmsall or Hemsworth. 

he can’t reply he is having a bbq in back garden

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on January 21, 2023, 05:26:34 pm by Upton Rover »

Numerous matches called off today, it seems we are not alone, one match called of 10 mins before the team sheets were due to be submitted, that is taking the piss
I totally agree with you about been called off so close to 3pm and totally agree that it was the correct decision to call our game off on Friday it makes total sense. The posts that I have made are purely aimed at WHY, it’s 2023 and we should with modern technology be able to keep temperatures of -5 penetrating the pitch, and I no we can do that, it’s not expensive to do so and it’s more profitable to stage a game on a Saturday than 7:45 on a Tuesday
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 05:28:58 pm by Upton Rover »

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 21, 2023, 05:50:32 pm by Chris the Rover »
‘It’s not expensive to do so’. How much does it cost then Upton, as I have no idea.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on January 21, 2023, 05:52:55 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Cost the club a lot of money over the years, not having under soil heating .

Look into it Sammy and let us know the results of your cost/benefit analysis.

Let's not forget, not all postponements are purely down to frost that undersoil heating would address.

Why would I do a cost benefit analysis for a fans forum, it’s an opinion. That’s what the forum is for not just putting things that agree with the board.

Your statement didn't sound like an opinion or a question.

I can’t be like some on here, where they have to put in my opinion after everything they say. It is purely an opinion. I’m quite aware upkeep of a heating system would be a lot. It would have cost us more in the championship than now in postponements of games and league one when we had decent crowds.

Not as much now as the club falls backwards done the league’s as it has done recently. Hopefully Schofield can turn that around for us.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 21, 2023, 06:19:45 pm by normal rules »

I totally agree with you about been called off so close to 3pm and totally agree that it was the correct decision to call our game off on Friday it makes total sense. The posts that I have made are purely aimed at WHY, it’s 2023 and we should with modern technology be able to keep temperatures of -5 penetrating the pitch, and I no we can do that, it’s not expensive to do so and it’s more profitable to stage a game on a Saturday than 7:45 on a Tuesday

Short of having full on under soil heating the only way of doing this would be to place a slightly raised cover over the pitch and then have blown heated air pumped under said cover. Like large industrial heat blowers. I can’t imagine they would be very cheap to run, As they would have to be on day and night for days on end. Not cost effective me thinks.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on January 21, 2023, 06:26:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
You’d probably also end up with a waterlogged pitch.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 21, 2023, 06:32:35 pm by elmsallrover »
Don't have a clue why today's game was called off when all I've heard for the past 18 month's is global warming

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 21, 2023, 06:50:10 pm by Upton Rover »
‘It’s not expensive to do so’. How much does it cost then Upton, as I have no idea.
There’s a company called match saver that do several different pitch covers and i used to work for a company that made & supplied the materials to such companies and they would cost approximately £40000, however I’m sure that with costs on things now, they would be greater. I saw the covers on the pitch and the outer single black ones are almost no good at all, it’s a single cover at most 2mm thick, you could see that the centre ones were a lot better. You need several layers to combat frost, just like layers on a human, the more you have the better you stay warm. 1 sheet is just a frost catcher and can be more problematic than they are worth.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on January 21, 2023, 07:02:03 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
As we know racecourses have them any chance we could borrow some from one ?

Anyone know where the nearest racecourse is

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on January 21, 2023, 07:19:25 pm by Donnywolf »
Even they buggered up their last big Meeting.

Covers on to protect Course which they did but they took them off to allow day 1 to go ahead even though the premium days racing was yhe day after that

Apparently the covers have to be on for as long as possible and take 8 hours to put down

They couldn't put them down till day 1 racing was ended by which time it was getting dark. So they lost the big race the next day and all the other prestigious races.

Tell em folks ...
Sacrifice day 1 and save day 2
Sack the Races Board LOL

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on January 21, 2023, 08:05:57 pm by selby »
  Are Astro pitches the answer and are they so terrible? most players play on them until 18 yrs old anyway.
  Our first team trained on ours and the u18s followed them playing v Harrogate this
morning on the Astro pitch at the Eco Stadium while the u14s and 13s trained on the other Astro  pitch, the fog was worse than the frost to the occasion.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on January 21, 2023, 08:07:09 pm by silent majority »
Rugby called off as well.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012