Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 10:29:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pitch inspection  (Read 10148 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Pitch inspection
« Reply #60 on January 20, 2023, 08:02:37 pm by glosterred »
If a bit of thought had gone into this Problem/situation when the Stadium was in the planning stage , then perhaps a transparent roof section could have been put on the South Stand roof to let the sun shine through, Lots of Stadiums have them.

Cannot put a transparent roof section there, that is where the solar panels are located

COYR

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 20, 2023, 08:16:55 pm by IDM »
Disappointing but it is what it is. Just a thought though if the covers were laid 30 hours before any frost, then surely they're not fit for purpose, or do they only work to a certain temperature.
That’s what I have said, look at the images, no more than what a gardener would put around his plug plants, total joke

“Total joke”.?

How about you get some perspective eh?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 20, 2023, 08:17:07 pm by eastender »
If a bit of thought had gone into this Problem/situation when the Stadium was in the planning stage , then perhaps a transparent roof section could have been put on the South Stand roof to let the sun shine through, Lots of Stadiums have them.

Cannot put a transparent roof section there, that is where the solar panels are located

COYR

I said at the Planning stage , the solar panels are a recent addition and could have been placed else where .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 20, 2023, 08:41:29 pm by scawsby steve »
Unlikely Tranmere had set off before pitch inspection decision.

It is only a 2 hr or maybe 2.5 hr journey so expect they would have travelled this eve if it had been on.

So don’t think Mellon will have had any say on the decision.

Really frustrating as I missed the last 2 away games ( well 1 was off ) so i am starting to get withdrawal symptoms. Yes i know that sounds unbelievable but I need my football fix.
Who is at home tomorrow. Harrogate away at Grimsby. It’s a bit far I think to watch them. Think I am snookered. All non league games will be off I suspect.

Looks like Sky sports again in the warm.  ;)

Camps, if you were able to watch Harrogate, either at home or at Grimsby, what would that tell you about Rovers' ability to deal with cold weather?

It will be interesting to see how many games in our league are played tomorrow.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 20, 2023, 08:43:08 pm by Batleyred »
Sack the board

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 20, 2023, 08:43:37 pm by Metalmicky »

I said at the Planning stage , the solar panels are a recent addition and could have been placed else where .

Not that recent....

https://www.closeassetfinance.co.uk/industry-insights/doncaster-rovers-save-ps1m-new-solar-panel-array

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 20, 2023, 08:49:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Don’t get it. It’s not that cold really or it’s within the bounds of a normal winter. Feels like so much else in this country that any minor flux just derails everything.

We’re a pro football club that rely on gates to keep our cash flow. Going 3 months hardly playing must be a killer. Surely there has to be a way to stop low ( but not exceptionally low) temperatures leading to cancellations.

We’ve invested a lot in the training ground etc which is understandably important hopefully getting some heaters will be on the agenda soon

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 20, 2023, 08:59:53 pm by ncRover »
We’re going to need more than 2 senior centre mids with these midweek fixtures.

1 more cold snap and we’ll end up with even more fixture congestion.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 20, 2023, 09:00:28 pm by glosterred »

COYR

Hindsight is 20/20 vision

COYR

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 20, 2023, 09:07:32 pm by glosterred »
We’re going to need more than 2 senior centre mids with these midweek fixtures.

1 more cold snap and we’ll end up with even more fixture congestion.

There is currently only 3 Tuesday night fixtures, 4 when this game is rearranged between now and the end of the season, plenty of free Tuesdays left to play games on

COYR

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 20, 2023, 09:11:46 pm by Michael Shaw »
That's 2 potential wins we have missed out on and could have looked much better. On the other hand it is a chance for Todd Miller, Ben Nelson and James Brown to get up to speed before the Mansfield game. And we might get some injured players back.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 20, 2023, 09:15:54 pm by Alan Southstand »
……..and we might have a couple of more signings in the building?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 21, 2023, 08:06:01 am by ForsolongaRover »
…this phrase “in the building” is strange “manager speak” to me - especially in an outdoor sport.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 21, 2023, 08:22:12 am by Cramby10 »

COYR

solar panels are always placed on South facing roofs where possible. Makes the most of the sunshine. Simple physics.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 21, 2023, 08:58:13 am by eastender »

COYR

Hindsight is 20/20 vision

COYR

It shouldn't have been Hindsight, It should be basic for Architects that concentrate on Building Sports Stadia.
One example , King power Stadium , 2 sides have partial transparent roofs and that was built 5 years prior to the ECO Power.
There are dozens more that have them , obviously it got overlooked for ours.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 21, 2023, 09:00:57 am by eastender »

COYR

solar panels are always placed on South facing roofs where possible. Makes the most of the sunshine. Simple physics.
I agree , but if the roof had been built with a transparent section then another solution would have to have been found regarding Solar panels , simple

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 21, 2023, 09:07:20 am by richtherover »
Midweek games are perfect for me! I can watch at 8 a.m.(ish) as opposed to 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Plus we might get a couple more bodies in and up to speed before the next game. I think we'll know what our "ambition" is by the end of this window.
Regarding the postponement, I can't remember too many games being called off at Belle Vue. It was one of the best playing surfaces in the country. I saw many games on a snow covered pitch with the old orange ball. Aahh, memories! Health and safety was well down the list of priorities in the 60's and 70's.
RTID

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 21, 2023, 09:25:15 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

COYR

I agree , but if the roof had been built with a transparent section then another solution would have to have been found regarding Solar panels , simple

The sun doesn't get high enough in the sky at this time of year. We would need transparent wall panelling, concrete blocks and seats.

When your driving around in the low sun getting In your eyes tells you that.

The cost to address this, whatever solution we choose, far outweighs the benefit. It happens.

There were plenty of games called off at Belle Vue and around the country, although the tolerance levels of poor pitch conditions were far higher. Nobody made a fuss about it because it was normal and folk accepted it.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 21, 2023, 09:28:29 am by Muttley »
-4 this morning, looks like the club made the right decision calling it off early. Well done to them.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 21, 2023, 09:50:26 am by Chris Black come back »
As ever it is annoying but a fact of life. Where people rightly get pissed off is with late decisions on long away trips, which this announcement avoided. We’d all like to be watching a game today but it’s not happening.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 21, 2023, 09:55:26 am by Thorney »
Some of the reactions to the announcement on twitter is over the top. Usual people finding a way to label the club a joke and a laughing stock.

At times its our fans that could be seen as the joke.

Some claims that it isn't even cold, it's been -4 for more than 10hrs now.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 21, 2023, 09:57:11 am by Donnywolf »
-4 this morning, looks like the club made the right decision calling it off early. Well done to them.

Yes ... Like last week (Crawley) the home club would be damned if they went early , as people might have given it time , and damned if they let the away Team and their fans set off and turn them back en route

True Tranmere is a lot lot closer than Crawley was but it looks like they got it right

Whether we have resilient enough pitch protection is and will be an ongoing discussion

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 21, 2023, 10:17:25 am by normal rules »
2 other games off in lge one and 3 off in lge two now. Lots of non league off

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 21, 2023, 10:28:32 am by donnievic »
Some of the reactions to the announcement on twitter is over the top. Usual people finding a way to label the club a joke and a laughing stock.

At times its our fans that could be seen as the joke.

Some claims that it isn't even cold, it's been -4 for more than 10hrs now.
they will get there moaning done over that   Instead of 4.50 today if we had of lost

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 21, 2023, 10:31:40 am by Colin C No.3 »
…this phrase “in the building” is strange “manager speak” to me - especially in an outdoor sport.
Up our sleeve?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 21, 2023, 10:32:43 am by Filo »
Midweek games are perfect for me! I can watch at 8 a.m.(ish) as opposed to 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Plus we might get a couple more bodies in and up to speed before the next game. I think we'll know what our "ambition" is by the end of this window.
Regarding the postponement, I can't remember too many games being called off at Belle Vue. It was one of the best playing surfaces in the country. I saw many games on a snow covered pitch with the old orange ball. Aahh, memories! Health and safety was well down the list of priorities in the 60's and 70's.
RTID

The close proximity of the lake will not help temperatures rise very quick

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 21, 2023, 10:35:27 am by roversdude »
Fair play to the ref who did the pitch inspection turned out to be a good call

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 21, 2023, 10:35:36 am by Colin C No.3 »
There’s the walk ways around the stadium to consider too.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 21, 2023, 10:38:04 am by coventryrover »
Some of our fans are living in cloud cuckoo land, wanting to blame the club for anything.

Find it utterly bizarre, depressing and is a caustic trait

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 21, 2023, 10:39:55 am by Filo »
The sun hasn’t broken through the fog here, there is still Frost on the rooftops, not a chance the pitch will thaw before 3pm

TinyPortal © 2005-2012