Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 12:33:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Caolan Lavery  (Read 14590 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Caolan Lavery
« Reply #120 on January 24, 2023, 08:51:22 am by drfchound »
Anyway, I know we've gone off topic somewhat but generally we can plot our way through the years to determine when we've been on an upward or downward trajectory.

If you get into a debate with a Rotherham fan, you know where to go.

Try to keep well away from Rotherham fans.  Even when i am in Rotherham. Not difficult though as most support Wednesday, United or Leeds.   ;)

Much the same as in Donny then.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on January 24, 2023, 09:01:19 am by andy didcott »
Thought this was about Lavery, need him in for Saturday , might get another hattrick.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 24, 2023, 10:04:10 am by Donnybob »
Back on topic, I see Harry Kane is 29 going on 30...

No shortage of suitors it seems. No resale value? But too old/ too shit for us then?

Marquis is 30. How many on here were crying out for us to sign him last year?

Talk about tantrums and contradictions. I put it down to one or two posters needing their nappies changed!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on January 24, 2023, 10:42:23 am by ncRover »
Wonder what’s going on here. Thought it was imminent on Sunday

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on January 24, 2023, 10:52:57 am by jm291 »
Probably considering offers in the National League with a longer contract. Hopefully we are only offering 6 months with a optional extension.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on January 24, 2023, 11:35:10 am by normal rules »
Anyone have any idea how to pronounce his first name ?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on January 24, 2023, 11:43:02 am by eastender »

Irish , 'kay-lawn', 'keeyl-an' or 'quail-on', depending on the dialect.

Goldthorperover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on January 24, 2023, 11:45:47 am by Goldthorperover »

Irish , 'kay-lawn', 'keeyl-an' or 'quail-on', depending on the dialect.

Or 'Colin' if you're from Barnsley.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on January 24, 2023, 12:52:35 pm by Goole Rover »

No shortage of suitors it seems. No resale value? But too old/ too shit for us then?

Talk about tantrums and contradictions. I put it down to one or two posters needing their nappies changed!
What about May, I don’t give a damn about Marquis I certainly didn’t want him back, a spent penny.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on January 24, 2023, 01:02:07 pm by roversdude »
Wonder if this is happening or ever was - appreciate it’s only Tuesday but could do with some more bodies in before the weekend

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on January 24, 2023, 01:11:14 pm by idler »
I would imagine that his agent is hanging on for other interest to put his deal here up a rung or a better offer elsewhere.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on January 24, 2023, 02:13:13 pm by Donnybob »
Yes, I seem to remember folk moaning that May was rubbish and not good enough, get rid, etc. Funny how when these players go to another club, don't have fans on their back, they do much better. A bit of encouragement does wonders for their confidence and performances. Does make you wonder where the problem lies at times...

What about May, I don’t give a damn about Marquis I certainly didn’t want him back, a spent penny.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on January 24, 2023, 04:44:28 pm by roversdude »
Couldn’t agree more DonnyBob

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on January 24, 2023, 05:00:36 pm by donnievic »
Signs for 18 month deal

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on January 24, 2023, 05:05:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He just needs Barnsley now to finish off the set.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on January 24, 2023, 05:10:25 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
He’s an improvement on andrews, welcome and best of luck! Let’s hope he hits the ground running

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 24, 2023, 05:15:21 pm by ncRover »
I hope that I am wrong, but adding another pension plan onto our payroll seems to be the idea of new blood coming into the squad, I hope he is fit, he has been running the line in National league, but is that at the same pace as Lg.2? What happens to George now this striker is here? We only play one up front, so he gets dropped? Or do we play him as a support to George, so we bench either Molyneux or Hurst, can he operate quickly enough to replace those options? We will see, good luck to him. I hope he makes a difference, but I hold my judgment.

He’s been brought in as cover, chill

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on January 24, 2023, 05:20:48 pm by NickDRFC »
Yes, I seem to remember folk moaning that May was rubbish and not good enough, get rid, etc. Funny how when these players go to another club, don't have fans on their back, they do much better. A bit of encouragement does wonders for their confidence and performances. Does make you wonder where the problem lies at times...

And yet Marquis has been far worse everywhere he has been since leaving us. Is that because the Portsmouth, Lincoln & Bristol Rovers fans are even worse?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on January 24, 2023, 05:30:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Looks like a fox in the box. One of those who doesn't really care how they go in, either at pace or bubbling across the line.
Prepared to have a go from all angles including overhead kicks. Perhaps an instinctive goalscorer and hopefully, a little bit sharper than Agard

Not a hold up type player by the looks but he's been brought in to add another option to George and our other attacking players.

Good luck to him. A great opportunity Saturday to make a mark in front of our fans at Mansfield should he get on to the pitch.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on January 24, 2023, 05:39:58 pm by NickDRFC »
Looks like a fox in the box. One of those who doesn't really care how they go in, either at pace or bubbling across the line.
Prepared to have a go from all angles including overhead kicks. Perhaps an instinctive goalscorer and hopefully, a little bit sharper than Agard

Not a hold up type player by the looks but he's been brought in to add another option to George and our other attacking players.

Good luck to him. A great opportunity Saturday to make a mark in front of our fans at Mansfield should he get on to the pitch.

Fox in the box is an interesting analogy, I’d assumed he would be more of an all rounder given his ability to play across the forward line. Will be interesting to see how/where he fits in.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on January 24, 2023, 05:44:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Fox in the box is an interesting analogy, I’d assumed he would be more of an all rounder given his ability to play across the forward line. Will be interesting to see how/where he fits in.

True, I've only had a butchers at his more recent highlights, so not sure of his full range of abilities.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on January 24, 2023, 05:50:13 pm by Daniel_Smith »
Good luck to the lad. This transfer window we're only ever likely to attract journeyman also-rans from league 2, who probably would fail to inspire. Or we try something different and dip into the non-league market and try and find some gems there. A reality check is needed by all in regards to the type of players we'll be bringing in for the foreseeable.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 24, 2023, 06:09:25 pm by jmt23 »
 That’s the first time I can remember the local area being a reason (albeit minor) to join the club.  :)
Sounds like he lives in the town, sorry city.

I like what he has to say, and I hope it works for both parties. Hopefully this puts all the silly rumours “ we won’t compete or pay with… to bed”

Promotion is still within our sights, and I feel we are doing the right things to enable that.

Come on you reds!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on January 24, 2023, 06:55:54 pm by DearneValleyRover »
That’s the first time I can remember the local area being a reason (albeit minor) to join the club.  :)
Sounds like he lives in the town, sorry city.

I like what he has to say, and I hope it works for both parties. Hopefully this puts all the silly rumours “ we won’t compete or pay with… to bed”

Promotion is still within our sights, and I feel we are doing the right things to enable that.

Come on you reds!

He lives in Sheffield

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 24, 2023, 07:53:16 pm by Donnybob »
And yet Marquis has been far worse everywhere he has been since leaving us. Is that because the Portsmouth, Lincoln & Bristol Rovers fans are even worse?
[/quote]

Far worse NickDRFC? Not sure what you base that on.

John's figures at Portsmouth were played 94 (27 as a sub) for 36 goals. Not exactly shabby for a player not in favour.

For Lincoln if was 5 in 17 and for Bristol Rovers He's scored 4 in 9 league games (1 in 2.25).

His overall career stats are 124 goals in 324 (1 in 2.61) games which is pretty much on a par with his scoring record since he left us (45/120 or 1 in 2.66).

With Rovers, where his career peaked in a pretty decent squad, a team set up to capitalise on his strengths, he scored 67 times in152 appearances equating to 1 in 2.27.

I suspect most will be chuffed if Lavery ends up being as useless as you appear to thinks Marquis is.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 07:56:43 pm by Donnybob »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 24, 2023, 07:58:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
I remember watching Marquis in his first game preseason I think it was Rossington and thought that is a striker and he proved it. I’ve not see another at the club since.
So we all hope that Caolan along with Miller G can score more goals.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on January 24, 2023, 08:07:35 pm by The Beast »
Pretty optimistic about Lavery, was a bit uninspired at first but the more I think about it, the more I think it could be decent business.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on January 24, 2023, 11:14:40 pm by no eyed deer »
Let's hope this signing can turn around the clubs misfortune

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 25, 2023, 03:52:42 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Decent signing for us, I think he will do better with us than he has for others.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on January 25, 2023, 08:29:00 am by NickDRFC »

Far worse NickDRFC? Not sure what you base that on.

John's figures at Portsmouth were played 94 (27 as a sub) for 36 goals. Not exactly shabby for a player not in favour.

For Lincoln if was 5 in 17 and for Bristol Rovers He's scored 4 in 9 league games (1 in 2.25).

His overall career stats are 124 goals in 324 (1 in 2.61) games which is pretty much on a par with his scoring record since he left us (45/120 or 1 in 2.66).

With Rovers, where his career peaked in a pretty decent squad, a team set up to capitalise on his strengths, he scored 67 times in152 appearances equating to 1 in 2.27.

I suspect most will be chuffed if Lavery ends up being as useless as you appear to thinks Marquis is.
[/quote]

I don’t think Marquis is useless - far from it, and I’d take him back in a heartbeat. I thought my point was obvious but perhaps not so happy to clarify it for you.

You posted that May has improved since leaving Rovers and implied that it’s because of a more supportive fanbase. Using that logic, Marquis should also have improved, but he hasn’t, and his record has declined since leaving (fair enough, “far worse” was an exaggeration).

Rovers - 153 appearances, 66 goals, 13,605 minutes - a goal every 206 minutes
Portsmouth - 126 appearances, 37 goals, 8,889 minutes - a goal every 240 minutes
Lincoln - 20 appearances, 5 goals, 1,499 minutes - a goal every 300 minutes
Bristol Rovers - 24 appearances, 6 goals, 1,411 minutes - a goal every 235 minutes

I imagine there are a number of factors why May has improved - playing in a team better suited to his style, a supportive manager, getting a run of games in the right position - but I think it’s a stretch to suggest the fanbase had much, if anything, to do with it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:32:04 am by NickDRFC »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012