Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 02:56:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Meet the Groaners  (Read 3630 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Meet the Groaners
« on February 08, 2023, 06:20:00 pm by Branton Rover »
Our board are honourable men, there’s arguments for and against about club structure and investment or lack of depending on your viewpoint - the question is do the ‘board out’ brigade have anyone who can articulate a question in a sensible manner without resorting to insults and/or foul language.

I hope for the sake of being cordial they can address the concerns they have in a manner befitting the occasion as to resort to name calling etc, the whole meeting could end up a shambles.

I’m aware I made be labelled a “happy clapper” I’m sure I can handle that but my youth was destroyed and blighted by Ken Richardson and I’m not prepared to stand aside silently where youngsters who weren’t even on this planet try to make tenuous comparisons between now & back then.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Meet the Groaners
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2023, 07:12:36 pm by Filo »
I just have this feeling, with the timing of this and the potential for some idiot to be abusive, a rabbit might be pulled out of the hat, I have nothing to go on that theory, just a feeling

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2023, 07:16:52 pm by robchester »
Well said Branton

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2023, 08:03:06 pm by no eyed deer »
Our board are honourable men, there’s arguments for and against about club structure and investment or lack of depending on your viewpoint - the question is do the ‘board out’ brigade have anyone who can articulate a question in a sensible manner without resorting to insults and/or foul language.

I hope for the sake of being cordial they can address the concerns they have in a manner befitting the occasion as to resort to name calling etc, the whole meeting could end up a shambles.

I’m aware I made be labelled a “happy clapper” I’m sure I can handle that but my youth was destroyed and blighted by Ken Richardson and I’m not prepared to stand aside silently where youngsters who weren’t even on this planet try to make tenuous comparisons between now & back then.

I'm afraid they're not as educated as you.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2023, 08:11:43 pm by Branton Rover »
Thanks for that comment my old teachers if they are still living will be ever so proud.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2023, 09:13:10 pm by Upton Rover »

Why do you think it’s just youngsters? I’m not, and have my own views like others, that we are all entitled to.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 08, 2023, 09:28:57 pm by Spilsby Red »
Well said Branston. Having a well run club is essential these days. Never do I want to go back to the era of Richardson. People might want to be careful what they wish for

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 08, 2023, 09:55:37 pm by no eyed deer »
Well said Branston. Having a well run club is essential these days. Never do I want to go back to the era of Richardson. People might want to be careful what they wish for

Do you really think it's a well run club !!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2023, 10:13:28 pm by selby »
  do you know anybody with a few spare quide who could do better no eyed deer, or have you really no eyed deer.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 08, 2023, 10:32:57 pm by no eyed deer »
  do you know anybody with a few spare quide who could do better no eyed deer, or have you really no eyed deer.

Wow never heard that before LOL.

I know we have a Chairman and Owner who are not willing to put money into the club and the drop from league one is astonishing.

Meet the owners, Don't make me laugh, yet again fed BS and you will believe everything they say, clapping happily.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 09, 2023, 12:04:40 am by Canadian Rover »

You hoped to be cordial but decided to label the thread "meet the groaners" - this is the type of decisive threads that cause such a seperation of fans.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:07:39 am by Canadian Rover »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 09, 2023, 12:37:16 am by Glyn_Wigley »

You hoped to be cordial but decided to label the thread "meet the groaners" - this is the type of decisive threads that cause such a seperation of fans.

If only we were all as inclusive as no eyed deer, eh?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 09, 2023, 08:03:51 am by Chris Black come back »
If we can keep the mic away from fools asking about why Ro-Shaun starts or why Terry doesn’t fund a bid for Haaland, there are probably three big questions that need asking:

1. What are the long-term intentions of the current owners regarding their ownership of the club?

2. Why is our recruitment so terrible?

3. What is the plan for our youth and academy set up in the long term?

Scoreboard, price of chips, formations, ticket office queues are not credible questions. We need to be pushing for answers on the big, long-term questions facing the club.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 09, 2023, 08:27:55 am by Spilsby Red »
The money they have put it themselves shows they do care and to try and make it debt free by writing of loans for one.  So yes, a well run club.
I agree that everyone has their own opinion but some are blinkered by the here and now. I agree it has been alarming at times but there are many clubs that are badly run.
Man City have thrown money around as been highlighted, will something come of it, let’s hope so, as it’s a wake up needed. And before anyone says but we aren’t Man City. It wasn’t that long ago they were in league 1.
Bournemouth could go that way, how can they spend 10s of millions on players and wages on their attendances. Lower league clubs struggle and are far worse than us. But every club wants to have that promotion. Every club can beat any other club.
Call it alarming/ frustration, but it can all change. We could go on an unbeaten run, I said could.
No team has a right to be promoted or in top half of table, good budget or not.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 09, 2023, 08:35:01 am by Metalmicky »
I doubt if the 'moaners' will even make an appearance - and if they do I doubt they will have the spine to voice their grievances... Normally they are 'unavailable' to attend, or become shy when there is not a keyboard in front of them....

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 09, 2023, 09:10:21 am by i_ateallthepies »

Yes but we are in a bit of a pickle aren't we...

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 09, 2023, 10:33:34 am by pib »

Things that definitely don't help create harmony and common ground in the fanbase:

1) Dismissing people as "groaners", part of some "brigade" (or for that matter "happy clappers" as well)

2) Making sweeping statements like "are people of a certain viewpoint even capable of articulating a proper question?" when there are clearly valid and well-articulated points being made by Rovers fans across a wide spectrum of different perspectives.

3) Dismissing people's views because they weren't around or don't remember the Richardson days.

To do so just comes across as pompous moral high-ground closed-mindedness and doesn't help anything, other than to further entrench people into different camps.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 09, 2023, 11:04:27 am by Northants Nomad »

100% agree. Good post, Brants, even though some won't like the message.

I'm not happy with the outcomes we're experiencing at the moment, but I strongly believe we need to separate outcomes from the motives of the Board. I believe the Board are honourable, genuinely care and want the best, and I suspect if they get the chance to be listened to at the meeting, they will admit that the outcomes are not what they wanted, hoped for etc.  Where I despair, is in today's society where people get outcomes they're not happy with, they want to hurl criticism at someone, get shouty on social media etc.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 09, 2023, 11:08:46 am by Spilsby Red »
I agree and have probably mentioned about the Richardson era as an example to where we are now.
I have also said I understand people’s frustrations with what is/has happened lately.
I have also mentioned that things need to be put into perspective and yes we are in a bit of a pickle at the moment. I think every fan can see that

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 09, 2023, 12:16:29 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Past meetings have seemed to be conducted in a very civilised way, and questioners have struck me as being excessively respectful of the top table, but the timing has often been fortuitously good for those in charge. In view of the Chairman's executive role in major decisions he will surely be expected to explain why he made them.   

Right now expectations continue to fall short of promises and whilst I do not think that blaming the Board for lack of investment should be the point of attack, it would certainly be interesting to hear their perspective. The budget cannot be significantly lower than most of our rivals, but how wisely has it been spent? Strategic decisions like appointing yet another inexperienced coach/manager after his two predecessors failed is a fair question.

There is also a good deal of evidence that the current style of play is driving fans away, and these are long term supporters whose grief is very real.   

The Chairman might justifiably be criticised personally if he does not offer a proper explanation of his role and the rationale behind key decisions. Things are not going well at the moment and if the Board come away from the meeting not feeling that they have to do better they will have been given a more comfortable ride than they deserve.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 09, 2023, 01:03:38 pm by Upton Rover »
People have views, and your view is the club (CD) is run well these day’s, others think not and that’s their opinion, so they are not groaners

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 09, 2023, 01:22:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
If we did have a Meet The Groaners the first thing I'd ask is what's happened to the £500 JustGiving money?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 09, 2023, 01:25:40 pm by Bessie Red »
Quote from: Spilsby Red

link=topic=287103.msg1215363#msg1215363 date=1675891737
I actually think he's in a bit of a pickle!

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 09, 2023, 02:12:09 pm by keith79 »
Is it ticket only or just turn up on the night.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 09, 2023, 02:58:23 pm by roversdude »
Ticket only Keith

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 09, 2023, 03:22:42 pm by oggycompton »
Pitching up and asking questions that are totally divisive is not the way forward. They need to be worded correctly and in the right manner, lets us not forget that although things may not be exactly where we want at present, they are a damned site better than in the past. Personally, I would just like to know the following: -

1. What is the boards long term plan and vision for the club going forward and how will you achieve it?
2. Do you feel the level of investment currently within the club is sufficient to achieve Championship status as described by Mr Bramall and as described by the 5-year plan?
3. What mistakes do you as board members within the company feel have been made in the last couple of years and what are you doing to ensure it isn't repeated?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 09, 2023, 03:50:25 pm by Alan Southstand »
The long term aim used to be ‘a sustainable Championship Club’ but that changed to ‘ we will find our own level’ at the last mto meeting.

I think q2 is linked to ‘why is our recruitment so poor’.

Q3 should end ‘make surethey aren’t repeated’

Agree with the rest, Oggy.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 09, 2023, 05:08:00 pm by donnybez »
I couldn't get a ticket , but if I had I'd want to ask:

We have 13 players out of contract at the end of the season
We have underperformed drastically against the clubs publicly stated goals the last 2 seasons coincidentally when most of these contracts were commenced

What parameters are the club using to decide on who should be offered an extention? and should we decide to release any of those 13 - will their portion of what makes up the current wage structure be kept aside for the manager/DOF to use against incoming players next season?

and to Danny Schofield : Why have we had so few clean sheets this season? (genuinely interested as we do seem frail at the back)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 09, 2023, 07:38:36 pm by Upton Rover »
They will be the same boring questions and answers like the last meet the owners, and the 1 before that and the 1 before that, nailed on

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 09, 2023, 07:43:27 pm by roversdude »
Ah No point in going then I guess

TinyPortal © 2005-2012